IGNORED

Bates Family Part 16 - Babystep Bates

samurai_sarah

5 minutes ago, JillyO said:

They said that the last time as well. I think they were going to induce her around 36 weeks, but Carson came even earlier. I hope things work out better for Erin and baby this time. And that they stop reproducing.

I didn't know Carson was a preemie. If Erin needs a C-section this time, she could have her tubes tied and nobody would know. Of course they are not doing that, but it's a good solution when pregnancies are dangerous.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, love2scrap said:

@formergothardite umm how is Alyssa "advertising for IBLP and helping hurt victims from the cult" ...? If you're referring to her participation in BuB, I do not see how appearing on tv with her family (in which they show her working outside the home!) is "helping hurt victims from the cult" - I know i'm summarizing very briefly and not covering all the negative aspects of the show, but I also think it's a rather long shot to expect her to publicly denounce her parents and their beliefs. She is after all, only 21. At that age I was seriously contemplating escape from fundamentalism, but it was only a year later that i plucked up enough courage to tell my parents that i was leaving.

It's ok to say that maybe Alyssa hasn't become that much less fundie, but please don't keep implying that unless she cuts off her parents and the tv show, that must mean she is still in cahoots with every one of those beliefs and out to hurt the rest of the world. My own fundie parents have done horrible things themselves, and I am still conflicted on how much I want to publicly call them out on, or whether I can just let things go and let us all progress to a new normal in the life after fundamentalism. 

And don't underestimate the intelligence of "isolated" children who grew up in fundamentalism. The moment I had access to the internet and managed to get over my guilt of googling the shit out of everything, I found freejinger :) and that's where I started my journey out of fundamentalism.

I'm so glad you have started your journey out of Fundamentalism.  Aren't you lucky to have the internet and unrestricted access to it?

Please don't tell others what is ok or not ok to say.  This is a discussion board and everyone is allowed to express their opinions even if you don't agree with them.  That is why you got the down-vote.

I find it interesting that a lot of people are repeating  "after all, she's only 21" excuse.  We have plenty of 21 year olds here who seem very mature and capable of independent thought and life.  

Heck, at 21, I had been financially independent from my parents for 3 years (I hadn't lived at home for two years before that), disagreed with them about religion, politics, and life and wasn't afraid to say so.  I rarely saw them, in fact, because of all the arguments.  Mr. P at 21 was in much the same boat, although he had emancipated himself from his parents when he was 17 so he could get student loans as they wouldn't pay for college.  This was evangelical parents (me) and devout Catholic parents (Mr P).

They never disowned us although my father was tempted.  After we married, we never lost contact with our parents but saw very little of them until they agreed to a "don't ask and don't yell at us" attitude to our breaking away.  We also cared for them in old age.  

At 21 people should be old enough to have an idea where they stand and be able to speak out openly. I do assume that young adults escaping from Fundamentalism are likely to be more stunted in their development because of the restrictions in their upbringing.  

Alyssa strikes me as a superficial person who is following the party line without much thought.  She doesn't strike me as someone making their way bravely out of Fundamentalism.   Unfortunately, her participation in the TV show does constitute endorsement of IBLP.  That is, unless or until she uses that platform to speak out against Gothardism and IBLP.  

You can't have it both ways.  Either Alyssa is still very much IBLP/Fundamental Christian - or she is an immature little hypocrite unable to be honest about how her views now differ from her upbringing.

And no, wearing pants and working with her husband in the family business do not constitute valid proof that she is breaking away from Fundamentalism.  

1 hour ago, Melissa1977 said:

I didn't know Carson was a preemie. If Erin needs a C-section this time, she could have her tubes tied and nobody would know. Of course they are not doing that, but it's a good solution when pregnancies are dangerous.

On the next page in this forum, there's a thread about Carson's birth.

Per that thread (People article in there) he was due June 8 and born May 14.  Early but I wouldn't put him in the preemie category.  I want to say he was around 6 lbs.

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

<snip>

And no, wearing pants and working with her husband in the family business do not constitute valid proof that she is breaking away from Fundamentalism.  

What does? Do opinions play into this "valid proof"?

Carson was born at 36 weeks. Some dr's say 36 weeks is full term but most say 37. However the lungs are not fully developed until 39 weeks, which is why it pisses me off to no end when women hit 37 weeks and start shoving castor oil down their throat. Of course Erin's situation is different because it needs to be a very controlled delivery. If she goes into labor with blood thinners in her system (like Carson) it could be very dangerous!

• SpoonfulOSugar locked this topic

Archived