IGNORED

Modest mom blog

19 cats and counting

Somehow i think that having a blog full of pictures of yourself showing off how  godly your fashion sense is is the opposite of modest.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding maxi skirts and modesty.  Seriously some people will find anything sexy.  I've been catcalled in baggy sweats and a t-shirt 3 sizes too big.

I'm sure a blogger exists that can make the case that a burqua is immodest.

More crazy from the Catholic Lady, "The umbrella is very Christian, very elegant. It tells of the fragility of human nature, the grace of the refined soul and the fortitude of those souls who are dedicated to combating evil."  

I wonder if she would consider my leopard print umbrella Christian or a the devil?

8 minutes ago, PsyD2013 said:

More crazy from the Catholic Lady, "The umbrella is very Christian, very elegant. It tells of the fragility of human nature, the grace of the refined soul and the fortitude of those souls who are dedicated to combating evil."  

I wonder if she would consider my leopard print umbrella Christian or a the devil?

I'm afraid the only way to be absolutely sure you aren't leaning towards the dark side is to ask her about each individual garment/accessory before you wear it so that she can decide how evil it is.  For example, umbrellas look kind of phallic to me, so I might have assumed they were inappropriate for a modest lady, but now I know that I would have been wrong.:562479569aefe_32(14):

36 minutes ago, PsyD2013 said:

Well, I don't know about the umbrella being christian, but John Steed certainly knew how to rock his umbrella. And Emma Peel, in her lethal high, high spike heels... now there was a woman who knew how to do heels...

(Talking about the original "Avengers" series, some of which we watched on a Netflix disk some time back.)

Actually, Black Widow reminds me, just a little bit, of Emma Peel. Elegant, but deadly. Sad, the way they watered down Natasha's character in the movies that came after the Avengers. But that's a whole 'nother topic...

10 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

I think the issue has been misunderstood.

If a woman bares her butt she's immodest because it draws attention to her body.

If a woman dresses to emphasize her butt she's immodest because it draws attention to her body.

If a woman dresses to hide her butt she's immodest because it draws attention to her body (what is she hiding under that thing?!?)

A butt is immodest. If a woman has one, she must repent.

Ugh, then I gotta repent BIG time, y'all. Extra big time for lusting after Beyonce's butt.

@happy atheist I'm not sure if these ladies are popular enough, but can "Repenting For My Butt" be a post count title?

4 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

Skimming the catholic lady blog. There's a whole post about how the Girl Scouts are liberal and pro abortion etc. Fuck's sake. Some commenter was praying that her future husband wouldn't make their potential daughters go to Girl Scouts. 

My best friend from school is Catholic. She dresses casually a lot of the time and wears jeans, trousers etc (although I've learnt a lot of American slang through FJ pants will always be underwear to me). I had no idea that being Catholic meant you dressed smartly all the time.

ETA: Oh my God. Just found the most horrific paragraph ever. See if you can guess which it is. http://thecatholicladyblog.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/on-stading-out-like-sore-thumb.html?m=1

Does it have the following irritating phrase:

So called "gay couples" are legally allowed to adopt and "raise" children.  They are even allowed to give birth to children by insane and abusive measures.

What insane and abusive childbirth measures?  Does she know something the rest of us don't?

Try to avoid wearing jean skirts.  The dressier the fabric, the more put together and elegant you will look.  I like to wear black skirts on an everyday basis and dress them up with cute blouses, jackets, and scarves.  Wearing a more formal looking skirt (not necessarily more uncomfortable) will help to create an elegant AND modest look. 

She outDuggars the Duggars!

http://thecatholicladyblog.blogspot.com/2013/04/tips-for-being-modest-and-elegant.html

On 23.5.2016. at 11:17 PM, AmazonGrace said:

I recall the horror of eternal damnation that will someday meet immodest women and often remind myself of the glorious reward awaiting those who love modesty.

Wow, her God mut really hate all these women who are born, raised and living in underprivileged envoirment, where wearing high heels and pretty dresses just aren't an option. Because, you know, real problems, like surviving. 
And that includes most women from Old and New Testament. Eve didn't run around Eden with pretty umbrella. Noah's wife didn't vakuum the arc in feminine heels. Deborah leaded the army not a sewing group (her singing skills were on top, though). Notice how Mary's character, not dresses, is a reason for her status as Jesus' mother. 
Actually, the only woman, who was interested in Modest mum's type of feminity, was Esther (at least, I can't think of anyone else from the top of my head). And Esther used her looks to achieve specific goals. They had nothing to do with housekeeping.

When even Bible can't live up to your expectations of Christianity...

Ok so I admit to being a fundie virgin when I saw the first Duggar special.( a virgin to fundamentalism, not an actual fundie or virgin.) I had no idea such people existed, maybe because I live in an evil part of the US. When I began googling, Modest Mom and the 7 Farm girl sisters were some of the first I found. Caroline is nowhere near as offensive as other fundies.

The Catholic lady has me curious, though, because I had lots of Catholic friends growing up and even went to mass with them, but they were nothing like this looney and her commenters. Is there some bizarre offshoot of Catholicism that I don't know about? 

@TheDuggarnaut, I think that the Catholic Lady is a special brand of Catholic Crazy.  There are other Catholic bloggers such as the Catholic Rose that also make me go WTF.  I was raised Catholic and had the dubious privilege (excellent education but too much WTF) of 12 years of Catholic school.  In high school (1980's), the girls had to wear long sleeved white blouses, a green skirt (to the knee of course!) green knee socks, and a shapeless vest which covered every curve.  It did not matter if if was 100 degrees outside, long sleeves only because the boys who had a much less stringent dress code might get turned on by an arm.

According to the Catholic Lady- "We must work to enrich society with pearls and swishing skirts, tea parties, and every unique and beautiful custom.  We have the assurance that the gates of hell will not prevail and in the end Jesus and Mary will triumph."  My nasty high school uniform was not beautiful and did nothing to enrich society.  I always felt very self-conscious while wearing it because it made the wearer stick out so much.

4 hours ago, PsyD2013 said:

Huh,  and here I thought my umbrella only told of a desire to keep dry.  I have been seriously under utilizing my umbrella's skills by having it combat solely rain. Now that I know it can fight evil, I'll have to get right on that. 

Add a lace and ruffle fringe to the leopard print. In pale pink. It may not Christian it up any, but the femininity factor will go way up. :pb_razz:

17 minutes ago, AnywhereButHere said:

Huh,  and here I thought my umbrella only told of a desire to keep dry.  I have been seriously under utilizing my umbrella's skills by having it combat solely rain. Now that I know it can fight evil, I'll have to get right on that. 

Add a lace and ruffle fringe to the leopard print. In pale pink. It may not Christian it up any, but the femininity factor will go way up. :pb_razz:

The Catholic Lady is like some even more batshit version of Lady Lydia. 

"The apostolate of the Catholic lady is more important than ever.  We must work to enrich society with pearls and swishing skirts, tea parties, and every unique and beautiful custom."

Not by feeding the hungry, tending the sick, caring for the elderly, lifting the poor out of their poverty, safeguarding the environment, or fighting for justice for the abused?

Nope, society will really be enriched by ladies with plenty of disposable income playing dress up and enjoying their undemanding leisure activities. :pb_rollseyes:

If mid-20th-century socialite is your aesthetic preference, by all means, you do you. Wear whatever makes you feel happy and confident. Your taste is just your taste, though, not some sort of objective moral standard that everyone should be held to.

"The umbrella is very Christian, very elegant. It tells of the fragility of human nature, the grace of the refined soul and the fortitude of those souls who are dedicated to combating evil."

...Someone desperately needs a hobby.

2 hours ago, JMarie said:

What insane and abusive childbirth measures?  Does she know something the rest of us don't?

Who wants to tell her that straight aka "real" couples also often have children by those insane and abusive measures?

Wow, her God mut really hate all these women who are born, raised and living in underprivileged envoirment, where wearing high heels and pretty dresses just aren't an option. Because, you know, real problems, like surviving. 

I know that pointing out someone's privilege is fairly cliche at this point, but this is one of the reasons her blog annoys me so much. She has to be so fucking sheltered to have these beliefs at her age. A grown woman not realizing that not all three billion women on the planet have the time, means, or opportunities to spend their days in high heels having tea parties. 

Seriously, most nuns would laugh her out of a room.

Like Mercer said, enjoy whatever aesthetic you want. But the assumption that your preferences must therefore be the only right option for everyone shows a worrying lack of mental development for a woman responsible for raising four children.

"The apostolate of the Catholic lady is more important than ever.  We must work to enrich society with pearls and swishing skirts, tea parties, and every unique and beautiful custom."

Hey, Isn't that actually a famous quote from Mother Theresa???

(JK, of course. Unbelievable. )

9 hours ago, nausicaa said:

I know that pointing out someone's privilege is fairly cliche at this point, but this is one of the reasons her blog annoys me so much. She has to be so fucking sheltered to have these beliefs at her age. A grown woman not realizing that not all three billion women on the planet have the time, means, or opportunities to spend their days in high heels having tea parties. 

I know the answer to this one!  It doesn't matter what the actual reality of the world and people's lives are, they just need to do what they're "supposed to" and everything will go swimmingly.  First, God never gives anyone more than they can handle.  So if you think your life is too hard, you're wrong.  All the world's women COULD be having tea parties and wearing heels as God desires if only they were Catholic and followed Church teaching to the letter.  It's the same reasoning behind forbidding condoms in African nations, for example.  If you just tell people enough to not have sex before marriage and then once married to only have sex when you're open to life, they'll do it, and then there would be no disease or poverty and everything would be peachy keen.   And since all the men/husbands would be perfect Catholics as well there would be no rape or pressuring a wife into having more children than she can handle.  Since all women would now be staying home vacuuming in heels and praying for the grace to not stick their heads in the oven, men will feel like men again and be totally responsible and bring in oodles of money.  

I'm sure this abhorrent woman is fully aware of the conditions that would make her life impossible for most, she just chooses to view their harder lives as a choice they made, ignore history and human nature altogether, and engage in some magical thinking.  With God all things are possible - you just have to want it enough/pray hard enough/be just like me.

On 25/05/2016 at 8:24 AM, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

Can we also be non-dishwashing and non-laundry washing? With holy accolytes to do those things instead of us? :my_biggrin:

Well, dish-washing is in the Bible...

“Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you cleanse the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of extortion and self-indulgence.  Blind Pharisee, first cleanse the inside of the cup and dish, that the outside of them may be clean also.
Matthew 23:25‭-‬26 NKJV

I guess find a Pharisee to do it?

Actually, that passage is kinda relevant.  The Pharisees were all about appearances. Kinda like this 'modesty is what clothes you wear' stuff.

19 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

Somehow i think that having a blog full of pictures of yourself showing off how  godly your fashion sense is is the opposite of modest.

I have no problems with fashion blogs in general, and modest fashion is a niche market that many have trouble with.  However, the modesty could be for many reasons other than religion (dress codes, personal preference, finding suitable underwear, etc).

I know I have more and more trouble each passing summer finding dresses (which is what I live in during the summer weather) that I don't have to buy a specialty bra to wear.  I would turn to fashion blogs to look at cute dresses I can wear a regular bra with.  Bloggers tend to be more in touch with 'regular' people than the fashion magazines do (splurge or steal-- $3000 vs $300 shoes.  Fuck that, give me $30 shoes).

But there's a way to do modest fashion without sound like a religious asshole.  Someone looking for modest fashion to meet an office or school dress code might be turned off by the religious messages.

Yeah the difference between, "look at this pretty dress that covers up a lot of skin" vs. "This is what I wear so I can feel holier than thou".

1 hour ago, AmazonGrace said:

Yeah the difference between, "look at this pretty dress that covers up a lot of skin" vs. "This is what I wear so I can feel holier than thou".

Exactly. I dress quite modestly because I feel comfortable that way, but it doesn't make me better than someone who feels comfortable with more skin showing. Clothing is just a covering, not an indication of our inner morality.

16 hours ago, TheDuggarnaut said:

Ok so I admit to being a fundie virgin when I saw the first Duggar special.( a virgin to fundamentalism, not an actual fundie or virgin.) I had no idea such people existed, maybe because I live in an evil part of the US. When I began googling, Modest Mom and the 7 Farm girl sisters were some of the first I found. Caroline is nowhere near as offensive as other fundies.

The Catholic lady has me curious, though, because I had lots of Catholic friends growing up and even went to mass with them, but they were nothing like this looney and her commenters. Is there some bizarre offshoot of Catholicism that I don't know about? 

As I previously mentioned, I'm Catholic. And a woman. And I like fashion. 

All of that said, I'm currently wearing gray cut off sweats and one of my husband's old t-shirts which has Stewie from Family Guy on it. I will take a walk in this classy ensemble in a bit. I will also, scandalously, do some housework in this ensemble.

I typically wear jeans and a sort of nice shirt to mass. With boots in winter and wedges in summer. I sometimes wear a skirt to mass in summer. Usually a jersey knit one. I wear a nice dress on Easter and something nice on Christmas. If it isn't too cold. Sometimes, it is way too cold on Christmas for anything but jeans. 

I do refuse to wear graphic tees/sweatshirts, spaghetti straps, strapless, anything too low cut, or shorts to mass. Unless it is religious ed mass (husband and I teach confirmation prep). Then I sometimes am wearing a graphic shirt or shorts because I am. And it is Wednesday. And we are hanging out with middle schoolers. But I suspect that these personal restrictions have to do with having grown up in mainly mainline Protestant churches where everyone dressed up for church. It took me awhile to wear jeans to mass and feel comfortable. While I was in the process of converting, we frequently went to church with my parents-in-law. I'd be wearing dress pants or a skirt such as I would have worn to protestant church sitting next to my father-in-law who had on a Harley t-shirt or mother-in-law who had on stained sweats. (Note, however, that my mother-in-law will wear cropped sweat pants to any event no matter how formal--she wore black cropped sweat pants to her father's funeral with a sparkly black top--spawning my personal theory that people need to learn that just because an item of clothing is black that doesn't mean it is appropriate attire for a funeral--sister-in-law's black cocktail dress at same confirmed this ). 

I do not vacuum in heels. I own pearls (full set--necklace, earrings, bracelet) but have only worn the necklace once to a wedding. I do like the earrings and bracelet and may have inadvertently vacuumed while wearing the earrings, but does that really count? 

@TheDuggarnaut (love your name btw), this type of Crazy Catholic is an offshoot of the majority (thank goodness) and what's referred to as "more Catholic than the pope".  In my experience I've found the most of them are converts, or fallen away cradle Catholics that rediscover their faith.  Some of them are into the whole Latin Mass, everything post Vatican II is of the devil (think Mel Gibson) but not all.  

When I went to mass I would wear jeans or a skirt/dress that was knee length or longer.  Nothing too revealing in the chest area and I wouldn't show my arms but I don't like doing that anyway.  My mother is very devout but would wear some loose sleeveless shirts and dresses in the summer, with a camisole underneath just in case.  Nothing too ratty, but nicer clothes on Sunday morning than for Saturday night.  I did go in sweats a few times when I wasn't feeling well but not bad enough to stay home.  No shorts ever for the girls, not even before puberty.  That was a hard and fast rule.  I was so jealous of my brothers during the summer months.  

21 hours ago, PsyD2013 said:

Ha. 

I've heard Umbrella used as slang for condom. (Google rhianna umbrella song lyrics.) 

On 5/20/2016 at 10:10 AM, AnywhereButHere said:

Now I can't wait for summer to get here so that I may frolic and brutalize my femininity. Sounds fun! 

Make sure you force your kids to watch. 

On 26/05/2016 at 10:40 AM, AmazonGrace said:

I think the issue has been misunderstood.

If a woman bares her butt she's immodest because it draws attention to her body.

If a woman dresses to emphasize her butt she's immodest because it draws attention to her body.

If a woman dresses to hide her butt she's immodest because it draws attention to her body (what is she hiding under that thing?!?)

A butt is immodest. If a woman has one, she must repent.

So basically it's the same old shit: women are inherently sinful?

All aboard the train to Fuck That Shit, leaving now.

Archived