IGNORED

Jessa, Ben & Spurgeon Part 3

Boogalou

57 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I have a feeling they'd go with Puritan-style attribute names for a girl. But just like Charles wasn't a SPESHUL or holy enough tribute to Charles Spurgeon, they're not going to go with some plebeian attribute name like Grace, Hope, or Faith. We'll see Abstinence, Contemplation (something Ben doesn't do very much of), Faint-Not, Fight-the-Good-Fight-of-Faith, Hate-Evil, Humility, or Remembrance.

Modesty Seewald!!! Or, dear god, Purity Seewald!

At least you can call Abstinence Seewald Abby and Contemplation Connie!

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I have a feeling they'd go with Puritan-style attribute names for a girl. But just like Charles wasn't a SPESHUL or holy enough tribute to Charles Spurgeon, they're not going to go with some plebeian attribute name like Grace, Hope, or Faith. We'll see Abstinence, Contemplation (something Ben doesn't do very much of), Faint-Not, Fight-the-Good-Fight-of-Faith, Hate-Evil, Humility, or Remembrance.

I think you're on to something. How about Precious, Psalms, Creation, Catholics-Are-Going-To-Hell, I-Survived-Roe-Vs-Wade, or New-Season-Of-Life Seewald.

I went and googled "Christian heroes" since I am not well-versed in any religious sect, to see what sort of names they might pick for a girl if they continue this theme...

My money is on Slessor Carmichael Seewald.

If Jessa gets a say in the name (still not convinced Spurgeon was ever her suggestion)... then the middle name might be Selah, or some other baby name Jill's headship allowed for a girl.

Spurgeon n' Slessor (aka Spurge and Sless)... now that is a quiver. :my_rolleyes:

3 hours ago, twinmama said:

They could call Purity --> Prue. Like the sister (and witch) in Charmed. She pulled it off. Got to have the attitude.  

"Modesty" brings up Modesty Blaise who us oldsters know as a kick-ass spy in a black leather coat.  Modesty was rather an ironic name for her.

5 hours ago, twinmama said:

You folks are forgetting "Chastity" -- though I suppose they may have heard of Chaz Bono.

2 hours ago, GreenTea said:

They could call Purity --> Prue. Like the sister (and witch) in Charmed. She pulled it off. Got to have the attitude.  

But wasn't her name Prudence not Purity?

This is unrelated to anything, but I saw a church sign the other day saying "[whatever date] evangelist [someone] spurgeon!" And I was bummed it wasn't Benessa for me to go troll 

1 hour ago, Bethella said:

But wasn't her name Prudence not Purity?

Yeah it was definitely Prudence.

12 hours ago, ksgranola1 said:

Cyrus. Seewald.

And all I think is Trailer Park Boys. Can they please name the next boy that? 

14 minutes ago, Alachantal said:

And all I think is Trailer Park Boys. Can they please name the next boy that? 

All I think is Con Air.

The latest video clip on Instagram of Ben and Spurge singing together is totes adorable. I'm saying it: I think Jessa and Ben are besotted with their little baba. And thank god for that.

:tw_grin:

8 hours ago, nst said:

Jessa posted a video of Ben singing with Spud 

Spud has some lungs 

it's quasi cute

Ben is singing Three Blind Mice. Aren't nursery rhymes a no-no in the Gothard cult? I thought they were evil and too worldly.

Oh, I wish I hadn't went to see the baby on instagram.  I'm crazy bout the babies.  Doesn't matter who they belong to, just love them and he is so cute.  Gah.

Jessa posted a video of Ben singing with Spud 

Spud has some lungs 

it's quasi cute

Ben is singing Three Blind Mice. Aren't nursery rhymes a no-no in the Gothard cult? I thought they were evil and too worldly.

Too evil and Worldly for some adventists too. A few years back, I, a 19 or 20 year old woman made some crack about the 3 little kittens as we were taking her cat to the vet.

I then got stuck trying to remember and explain the 3 little kittens who lost their mittens to this 21-22 year old who has no idea what the fuck I was talking about.

She then spent the next 5 minutes asking me what mittens had to do with pie while I kept going "somg it's just a song for kids it's not supposed to make sense!"

Finally she was like, "I know! Without the mittens they couldn't take the lies out of the oven Cuz they'd be too hot!"

And I'm over there rolling my eyes and sighin.

Excuse typing, tapatalk is not behaving.

10 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

"Modesty" brings up Modesty Blaise who us oldsters know as a kick-ass spy in a black leather coat.  Modesty was rather an ironic name for her.

I love Modesty Blaise! 

And Elias is actually becoming a fairly common name here in my part of the world, https://www.ssb.no/a/navn/gutter/elias.html

In 2015 it was the most used name for boys in 2 out of 19 counties.

I don't think Ben had as strict of an upbringing as Jessa, so he probably knows some nursery rhymes. It's not like Jill singing hymns because she knows nothing else. 

Oh yes....little Spurge is really cute singing along with his daddy Ben. He really is!.

From the admittedly little we get to see, I get a completely different (happier) vibe from Jessa/Ben interacting with their little guy vs. Jill /Derrick and Izzy.

20 hours ago, habert said:

I know you all are having fun snarking, I'm not trying to derail that, but baby names are actually a big interest of mine! And I actually have thought about what "sibling" names might come next from Mr. and Mrs. Seewald.

It's hard to guess girl names because with one male baby there isn't much of a pattern yet. And obviously, people can change their minds about names or not really care if names "sound good" with each other. 

I think Ben and Jess will probably choose an "old" and "unique" name for a second boy that's actually fairly recognizable. This might help Spurgeon's appeal in the long run. Names like:

Ulysses 
Silas 
Obadiah
Hosea
Ezra
Gideon
Hamish
Edwin
Abraham
Cornelius
Elias
Hiram
Ephraim
Grover

Not only are these sort of names becoming "in vogue" with parents (100 year rule), but it's probably easy to pick a name first and find a "Christian Hero" connection with these sorts of late 19th century names second if that's something they're still interested in. Basically: pick a name that looks good with Spurgeon, isn't terrible like Spurgeon, find a reason it fits our narrative. 

I actually really like Gideon, it's second on my list for boy names if I ever have one. Somehow we ended up with all biblical names picked out for the boy names...Gabriel, Gideon, and Eli (not Elijah...I like Eli but not Elijah). 

Oh, my, Spurgey is cute! And Ben is interacting with him in a "normal" way! Does that signify hope?

57 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

Oh, my, Spurgey is cute! And Ben is interacting with him in a "normal" way! Does that signify hope?

this  signifies Ben wanting to be on camera and appear normal opposed to his edgypreacher stick which is great :D

I have to agree with others that it is such a surprising relief to see Jessa with her son. Jill has been proving herself to be just like their mother but Jessa seems to be totally in love with Spurgeon. 

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

It's not like Jill singing hymns because she knows nothing else. 

Did that really happen?

That's so sad. :my_sad:

1 hour ago, notfundy said:

Oh yes....little Spurge is really cute singing along with his daddy Ben. He really is!.

From the admittedly little we get to see, I get a completely different (happier) vibe from Jessa/Ben interacting with their little guy vs. Jill /Derrick and Izzy.

Spurge really is a cutie pie. And I do hope that Ben is taking his crash course in adulting to heart and stepping up as an involved dad (and not a "babysitter" like Derick).

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived