IGNORED

Anyone know why the Maxwells named their RV Uriah?

neuroticcat

I was introducing my husband to the riches of freejinger and we got sucked into the Maxwells blog as the illustration of fundiedom - where we found 10 PAGES of posts about their RV named "Uriah." I know that's the name of Bathsheba's husband that David killed, but anyone know WHY they chose that name?

C'mon freejinger, I've bragged to him about your vast knowledge of obscure fundie lore - don't let me down.

/blog.titus2.com/2007/12/11/uriah-update/

Steves explanation. Can not quote his post be ause on tablet an am low skill so far with that.

/blog.titus2.com/2007/12/11/uriah-update/

Steves explanation. Can not quote his post be ause on tablet an am low skill so far with that.

Thank you, Salex, for finding the answer to this vexing question. I've wondered about Uriah's name for far too long!

Many have asked why we named the bus Uriah. I love the name Uriah because of who Uriah was in Scripture. He was a valiant, obedient, and faithful man. His life deeply touches mine.

The brief glimpse that we have of Uriah shows his heart’s desire was to serve his king, even in personal hardship and to the point of giving his life. In 2 Samuel 11, he is out with the army during the campaign. David recalls Uriah so that David could attempt to hide his sin with Bathsheba. Uriah forsook the comfort of his own home because his fellow soldiers were in the field at war. He is then sent back to battle and travels confidentially carrying a letter commanding his own death. As a skilled warrior, he would have known that the command, in the manner it was given to take the city, was foolish. Yet, he obeyed to the death. That is the way it is when we are committed to obeying someone. Praise God our Head is the Lord Jesus Who doesn’t fail. Sadly though, we may fail in hearing Him correctly at times.

Therefore, I felt Uriah was an appropriate title for our transportation. I do not picture Uriah as being handsome. This old bus is not very handsome either. Most newer buses are amazingly good looking, but Uriah can’t compare. Our desire is that once we get him mechanically into shape and converted, he will faithfully serve us. Uriah was a mighty man who lived to serve his king and died in his service. We just pray this Uriah will have a long life before he gives it up.

I'm still not sure why Uriah's life so deeply touches Steve's. :shrug:

- Teri baths on roof-tops and was seduced by a king (doubtful).

- Steve gladly forsakes his home (not a chance).

- Steve obeys orders to the death (Nope. He just makes up his own rules to follow and he's not dead yet.)

- Steve is not very handsome or mechanically sound but wants a long life (Oh, check!)

Thank you, Salex, for finding the answer to this vexing question. I've wondered about Uriah's name for far too long!

I'm still not sure why Uriah's life so deeply touches Steve's. :shrug:

- Teri baths on roof-tops and was seduced by a king (doubtful).

- Steve gladly forsakes his home (not a chance).

- Steve obeys orders to the death (Nope. He just makes up his own rules to follow and he's not dead yet.)

- Steve is not very handsome or mechanically sound but wants a long life (Oh, check!)

Faithful, blind obedience in the service of a corrupt, selfish king? Steve is the David in the scenario. He is bringing up a whole bunch of Uriahs.

Given I'm a few years younger than Steve, and I always think of the band Uriah Heep when I hear the name Uriah, I always think Pre Rabbit Hole Steve had to know them too.

uriah-heep-anthology-album-cover-84676615304.jpeg#uriah%20heep%20anthology%20album%20cover

oh Maxwells, bless their hearts, always overthinking everything :lol: but seriously why would they name their vehicle after someone who died in battle because of a fatal errand he was sent on by the self-serving king?

why not name it Eliezer after Abraham's faithful servant who went on a mission to find a wife for Isaac and brought Rebecca home?

oh Maxwells, bless their hearts, always overthinking everything :lol: but seriously why would they name their vehicle after someone who died in battle because of a fatal errand he was sent on by the self-serving king?

why not name it Eliezer after Abraham's faithful servant who went on a mission to find a wife for Isaac and brought Rebecca home?

Seriously.

My parents, who are very earnest about naming their cars, would never name one after someone who is primarily known for how he or she died. Mom would say, "That's just asking for trouble."

They've had a Gabriel (named for its loud horn), a Zacchaeus (named because it was very small), an Ark (sized to fit extended family and pets while camping), a Matthew (named not after the apostle but after an excommunicated Catholic theologian), and a Shadowfax (named while my brother and I were really into Lord of the Rings).

Which is to say, I understand overthinkers. I come from overthinkers. If they're overthinking, they're doing it wrong.

That's way too upbeat and positive.

Steve can't even name a bus without thinking about where it's going to go when it dies :lol:

Whenever I see the name Uriah, I think of the character Uriah Heep from Dickens' David Copperfield :D I seriously doubt that was the source of their vans name though.

Apparently there were a few Biblical Uriahs...From Wikipedia:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uriah

I'm going to say it: the name Uriah makes me think of urine. So I always imagine the Maxwell bus as reeking of pee.

Whenever I see the name Uriah, I think of the character Uriah Heep from Dickens' David Copperfield :D I seriously doubt that was the source of their vans name though.

Apparently there were a few Biblical Uriahs...From Wikipedia:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uriah

Me too, but Dickens is probably not allowed in Maxhell.

A direct quote even! :worship: You guys are amazing.

And I agree - there is a lot of energy invested into the naming of the vehicle. I'm kind of exhausted just reading it. What must it be like to live that way?

*If You Give a Maxwell a Camper..."

I simply MUST believe they named their RV "Uriah" because it's very close to UREA, which, naturally, is excreted in urine. Of course, if you're camping in your "UREA"(er,...I mean Uriah), you'll be blatantly reminded that UREA is excreted in urine. This will stir a li'l twinge in your bladder, so you'll head off to the thunder mug to take a pee. Feeling the familar release, you'll be prompted to remember that you have a Costco mega-bunch-o-pee sticks in the cabinet. Naturally, you'll want to give 'em a whirl to see if you are preggers, because after all, mega-bunches of ANYTHING reminds you that you were born to have a mega brood of your own. And chances are, if you're planning to have a mega family, you'll probably want a camper named Uriah to go with it. :dance:

Because Steve obviously isn't on a mission to find spouses for his children.....

I suck at song parodies but I have an earworm. My apologies to Lerner and Loewe.

Uriah

Uriah

They call the bus Uriah.

The Maxwells here they got a name

For fun, games and hell fire.

The fun is Sin, the games are Death

And they call the bus Uriah

Uriah drives the kids afar

And keeps the Maxwells saying

Uriah makes the normal car

Only fit for us dying.

Uriah

Uriah

They call the bus Uriah.

Before Steve knew Uriah’s name

And fixed his frame and engine,

He and Teri stayed home all year

And kept the kids home praying.

But then one day Steve found his bus

And succumbed to desire.

So now they drive both far and wide

For conferences like Inspire!

Uriah

Uriah

They call the bus Uriah.

Me too, but Dickens is probably not allowed in Maxhell.

True, but I did fancy the idea of the bus being Steve's 'umble servant (as the Dickens character would say)

Well, silly me. I thought maybe there was humor + a literary reference and it was named Uriah (Heap) because it was kinda old and funky.

*If You Give a Maxwell a Camper..."

I simply MUST believe they named their RV "Uriah" because it's very close to UREA, which, naturally, is excreted in urine. Of course, if you're camping in your "UREA"(er,...I mean Uriah), you'll be blatantly reminded that UREA is excreted in urine. This will stir a li'l twinge in your bladder, so you'll head off to the thunder mug to take a pee. Feeling the familar release, you'll be prompted to remember that you have a Costco mega-bunch-o-pee sticks in the cabinet. Naturally, you'll want to give 'em a whirl to see if you are preggers, because after all, mega-bunches of ANYTHING reminds you that you were born to have a mega brood of your own. And chances are, if you're planning to have a mega family, you'll probably want a camper named Uriah to go with it. :dance:

Hee! I see what you did there. I'm off to bake some cookies! Then buy some milk.

I suck at song parodies but I have an earworm. My apologies to Lerner and Loewe.

Uriah

Uriah

They call the bus Uriah.

The Maxwells here they got a name

For fun, games and hell fire.

The fun is Sin, the games are Death

And they call the bus Uriah

Uriah drives the kids afar

And keeps the Maxwells saying

Uriah makes the normal car

Only fit for us dying.

Uriah

Uriah

They call the bus Uriah.

Before Steve knew Uriah’s name

And fixed his frame and engine,

He and Teri stayed home all year

And kept the kids home praying.

But then one day Steve found his bus

And succumbed to desire.

So now they drive both far and wide

For conferences like Inspire!

Uriah

Uriah

They call the bus Uriah.

:worship: :worship: :clap: :worship: :worship:

And chances are, if you're planning to have a mega family, you'll probably want a camper named Uriah to go with it. :dance:

Haha! My toddler is way into "If you give a pig a pancake" and "If you give a moose a muffin" right now.

Archived