IGNORED

Esther Shrader (Anna Duggar's sister) living in a pop up

xReems

There is a creation called turkey ham. It's a cousin to turkey bacon.

It's served as an alternate to ham when there are Halal requirements, I know that much, but I somehow doubt that would be an issue here. I was going to suggest it might be cheaper as a reason for buying it, but it would seem not.

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's served as an alternate to ham when there are Halal requirements, I know that much, but I somehow doubt that would be an issue here. I was going to suggest it might be cheaper as a reason for buying it, but it would seem not.

I think that ATI followers do not eat pork, I know that the Duggars don't.

It's also lower fat, lower calorie, higher protein, lower sodium etc.

The main thing I liked about cooking with it is that it comes in a more manageable size than buying a huge ham, and that it chops and slices really well for cooking. I don't think it tastes quite as good as real ham in a sandwich or as slice of meat - but in cooked dishes, or with cheese and crackers it's just as good. imo

It's been around forever, it must be one of those things that's more common in some areas ?

I wouldn't be surprised if the Shraders do follow Old Testament eating rules. It seems to be fairly common in fundy circles.

The Duggars claimed early on to follow all the Old Testament rules about food, although I've noticed quite a few breaches over the years. I don't know whether this is because they aren't particularly strict or because they don't know the rules. (My fundy-in-laws follow ALL the rules and it is a nightmare trying to cater for them.) I remember Michelle saying they knew they didn't have to follow the rules but they thought it would be pleasing to God if they did.

Turkey ham is basically smoked or "cured" turkey breast, sliced. I've used it over the years. Less fat, usually and, compared to other sandwich meats, the turkey breast is usually better/more uniform quality than same priced sliced ham.

I remember Michelle saying they knew they didn't have to follow the rules but they thought it would be pleasing to God if they did.

So, she takes the bible "literally" but thinks God only grudgingly loosened the rules in the new testament and she'll get extra credit by following the food rules?

hmm, what a little brownnoser.

It surprises me that a number of conservative but not "fundie" people that I know believe that following the OT regs is not a requirement for salvation but that it does make you lead a more godly life. I would have thought that being fake Jews was limited to the crazier fundies, but apparently not.

Turkey ham is a 'ham' made out of turkey, people usually buy it because it's lower fat etc.. just like they make 'turkey bacon' - it isn't the real thing, but the turkey ham actually tastes pretty close to regular ham.

They sell it in the supermarket in the meat or lunch meat section, usually in a 2 or 3 lb package and you chop or slice it. I haven't bought any in awhile, but it costs around the same as ham if I recall.

Interesting. I don't think we have that in CA, but Jon has mentioned cooking it for her several times. Here at least, turkey bacon is more expensive than regular. Kudos to them for trying to eat better though, I suppose. That spread really did look almost magazine worthy. Perhaps Jon has a bit o the chef in 'im!

Added some extra cheese and spinach and walla

WTF? I thought "walla" was another ingredient that he added at first :shock:

WTF? I thought "walla" was another ingredient that he added at first :shock:

Is "and walla" meant to be the French "et voilà"? The stupid it burns! If you're gonna try and be pretentious and use the French at least use it properly! (Sorry I'm a linguist and incorrect use of words like this make me stabby)

So, she takes the bible "literally" but thinks God only grudgingly loosened the rules in the new testament and she'll get extra credit by following the food rules?

hmm, what a little brownnoser.

This is actually not an unusual attitude among Torah-observant Christians. I can't seem to find any Scriptural basis for it though. If you listen to the Gospels, Jesus was kind of ambiguous on whether the law was to be followed, though I think there is good evidence that he DID intend for this. (I'm speaking as an atheist academic, btw, not as a Christian of any stripe.) If you listen to Paul (or at least to the commonly accepted interpretation of Galatians), the Law is no longer necessary because now Christians have Grace. Does anyone know of a place in Scripture that suggests the interpretation Michelle communicated? Just curious.

I think Michelle's interpretation is more Gothard legalism.

Yes, we have turkey ham in California. Most of it is in the deli case as sliced luncheon meat, but many stores carry other turkey variations.

Is "and walla" meant to be the French "et voilà"? The stupid it burns! If you're gonna try and be pretentious and use the French at least use it properly! (Sorry I'm a linguist and incorrect use of words like this make me stabby)

Well, there is a type of onions called Walla Walla Onions, so it is plausible he could have been saying that he added extra cheese, spinach and some onion...wait, who am I kidding, SOTDRT FAIL!

Turkey ham is pretty common in the UK, halal-friendly pizza places often use it as well as turkey pepperoni etc. I don't keep halal but the halal pizza places are usually cheaper than Dominos etc :)

Interesting. I don't think we have that in CA, but Jon has mentioned cooking it for her several times. Here at least, turkey bacon is more expensive than regular. Kudos to them for trying to eat better though, I suppose. That spread really did look almost magazine worthy. Perhaps Jon has a bit o the chef in 'im!

It's been available in California forever! We were brought up on it, as my mother was allergic to pork and pork products.

CA as in Canada or CA as in California? I live in California and we have turkey ham here. You can typically find it in the presliced deli meat section of a grocery store.

Is there a baby yet and I missed it?

Yep, a bouncing baby girl. Josh and Anna have been instagramming all over the place about their media appearances, but haven't mentioned their new niece. I wonder if the littlest pecan thief will get a mention when his sweet nutty flesh emerges.

Yup. She had the baby and everything seems to have turned out okay.

Yup. She had the baby and everything seems to have turned out okay.

I guess this means we are not going to see another 61 week pregnancy any time soon. ;)

BTW, my 500th post!

Andddd apparently the baby sleeps on her stomach with a blanket. How have they had 8 children without someone telling them that it's safest for babies to sleep on their backs, and without blankets? Someone pointed it out on Facebook and John said he "appreciates" the info. Something tells me they're not going to change it.

Andddd apparently the baby sleeps on her stomach with a blanket. How have they had 8 children without someone telling them that it's safest for babies to sleep on their backs, and without blankets? Someone pointed it out on Facebook and John said he "appreciates" the info. Something tells me they're not going to change it.

Yeah...they also have nine people living in a pop-up camper while they travel raising money to proselytize a majority Christian country. I don't think critical thinking is their strong suit...

Yeah...they also have nine people living in a pop-up camper while they travel raising money to proselytize a majority Christian country. I don't think critical thinking is their strong suit...

They are not currently living in a popup. Please read the entire thread to get your facts straight. Then, criticize them for lack of critical thinking skills.

Do not turn this into a cosleeping war. A lot of parents co sleep. It is a legitimate and fine parenting choice with parents that are not intoxicated.

Archived