IGNORED

Chick-fil-A Daddy/Daughter Date Nights

dairyfreelife

I'm kind of lothe to get involved in this debate, but I'm just going to stick my toe in and mention that:

a) Chick-fil-a has never, ever made a secret of being conservative Christian. Just try to buy a chicken sandwich on Sundays.

So it's a little disingenuous to be shocked, shocked! that they support other conservative Christian organizations in turn, and that those places have anti-gay policies etc.

b) However, Chick-fil-a=Gothard is still a hard case to make. They support long-term foster care homes through Winshape, something I doubt anti-adoption hard core fundies would embrace (especially since male and female children may be housed together, shock!). More to the point, the Fellowship of Christian Athletes (one of the orgs. I noticed on the donation list), despite being anti-gay, includes female athletes. Lastly, Chick-fil-a spends around between 1.4 and 1.9 million on college scholarships a year, many going to women. Some of these even provides fully funded scholarships to Berry College. Now, do kids who take the Berry/Winshape colleges have special restrictions and rules to follow during their stay (weekly chapel, no drugs/alcohol, own dorms, etc)...but the bottom line is it's still investing in the education of women.

So. Is Chick-fil-a conservative Christian, anti-gay, etc? Yes, very much.

Are they secretly Gothardites, who are not simply encouraging parent-child time, but rather slyly pimping stay-at-home daughterhood and pseudo-incest? Ehhh...Truett Cathy is going to have to fundify a lot more if he wants to hang what that crew.

In any event, I have fond memories of the daddy-daughter dance my public school had a long, time ago...this was before these things had any fundy taint, and I assure you, nobody was trying to sleep with anyone. Ew. Anyways, this is all a bit heated than I like to engage in, so Imma just gonna leave this here ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you go on that date with Treemom, will you make it sweetly romantic, with red hearts and flowers, or will you just go shopping or to a movie and then have lunch? Because if you give her valentines and roses, some people will probably assume you are romantically involved. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

This gave me the lunch break lulz. I heart you for this, and I do see what you are saying :)

Yesterday was Pirate & Princess Night at my CFA. Can you imagine how badly I wanted to go in there as sex-ay Steampunk sky-pirate? Either that, or "borrow" a couple of kids from a friend & have a brave, sword-carrying girl-pirate and regal little prince with a Renaissance lace neck-ruff. Alas - neither one happened, but I wonder what the reaction would have been. :)

Yesterday was Pirate & Princess Night at my CFA. Can you imagine how badly I wanted to go in there as sex-ay Steampunk sky-pirate? Either that, or "borrow" a couple of kids from a friend & have a brave, sword-carrying girl-pirate and regal little prince with a Renaissance lace neck-ruff. Alas - neither one happened, but I wonder what the reaction would have been. :)

Even better if the little boy had been too young for breeches. :) Nothing like boys in dresses to freak people out. :lol:

I'm so happy I don't live in CFA land.

Here, in my speshul college town, we have Daddy and Daughter nights at the local pubs. Oh and a parade on Talk Like a Pirate day.

In-N-Out Burger prints bible verses on their wrappers and cups.

I don't go to CFA because I don't like their food, but I may have to go to In and Out just to check the wrappers. I've never noticed any Bible verses on anything there. I do tend to be oblivious to the packaging though.

I had only an inkling of CFA beliefs and practices before reading FJ so that was educational.

I think this is a very interesting thread. I think that as consumers, it is good to be aware of the values and interests of private companies. Certainly, as private companies, they have the right to ascribe to certain values and ideals.

My sense is the Chik-fil-a does pander to the conservative christian sector. I think that the folks who run CFA are very smart business people and are savvy about the culture. I doubt that they were naive to the fact that there is a market for the courtship crowd. They are clearly providing alternatives to traditional dating venues like proms (which are notorious for sexual behavior) and for preadolescent girls to dress up and practice their newly emerging desire to be pleasing to males. These young females are encouraged to dress up pretty for Daddy instead of for boys is intended to block the eventual target of mating behavior from potential mates and towards the father. This is what makes me uncomfortable about the concept.

I am quite certain that most young girls find the practice in this sort of pre-mating behavior with their Dad to be quite innocent and it becomes a fond memory. In the case of girls who are given the chance to go on and date boys their own age, it probably remains as simple as a practice run for growing up. It also provides a venue for the extreme cutlrure of VF. I do not see the Gothard crowd as particularly encouraging of a close and deeply connected relationship with the father.

We are living in interesting times. THere is a huge forward push to let go of the constraints of ancient sky god cultures (male dominant and patriarchal) and into a more egailitarian set of mores. That would include the acceptance of same sex pairings and singleness as equally vailid and moral. There is also a huge backlash that is a call to older ways (idealized to the point that they never actually existed.)

The fun part is watching and doing the play by play. CFA has entered the arena and they are fair game.

(riffles)

We are living in interesting times. THere is a huge forward push to let go of the constraints of ancient sky god cultures (male dominant and patriarchal) and into a more egailitarian set of mores. That would include the acceptance of same sex pairings and singleness as equally vailid and moral. There is also a huge backlash that is a call to older ways (idealized to the point that they never actually existed.)

This!

I wouldn't have a problem with the Daddy Daughter 'date' night if it weren't for the fact that it's a Xian company, and as far as I know they don't have a Mother Son or (for *gasp* single parent homes or *even bigger gasp* same-sex partnerships) a Daddy Son or Mother Daughter night... Cause if it's not about the "S" word, then it shouldn't really matter if it's a dad and his male child, right?!

This!

I wouldn't have a problem with the Daddy Daughter 'date' night if it weren't for the fact that it's a Xian company, and as far as I know they don't have a Mother Son or (for *gasp* single parent homes or *even bigger gasp* same-sex partnerships) a Daddy Son or Mother Daughter night... Cause if it's not about the "S" word, then it shouldn't really matter if it's a dad and his male child, right?!

Why not just do what most restaurants do and have a Family night? I was a little aggravated at my YMCA this year because they advertised a "Mother/ Daughter Mother's Day Tea." I'm a mother to a son, too, what do I do with him? (If I liked tea and really wanted to go, I would have just brought my son along. My aggravation stems from how it was advertised).

• 3 weeks later...

I don't go to CFA because I don't like their food, but I may have to go to In and Out just to check the wrappers. I've never noticed any Bible verses on anything there. I do tend to be oblivious to the packaging though.

I happened to remember this thread when I was at In-N-Out burger in June, so I took a picture of my burger wrapper showing the verse reference.

InNOutWrapper.jpg

The Bible verse thingie kind of pissed me off till I looked up Revelation 3:20--

Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me.

Gave me a tiny giggle.

The Bible verse thingie kind of pissed me off till I looked up Revelation 3:20--

Gave me a tiny giggle.

So Jesus eats at In and Out?

I happened to remember this thread when I was at In-N-Out burger in June, so I took a picture of my burger wrapper showing the verse reference.

InNOutWrapper.jpg

To me, "In-N-Out" means sexual intercourse.

To me, "In-N-Out" means sexual intercourse.

It makes me think of the move "In & Out" where Kevin Kline plays a high school teacher coming to terms with the fact that he's gay.

When I was growing up, my father was overseas a lot. When he got home, someone we knew put pressure on him to take me to one of these dances. I was five. He wasn't enthused with the idea, but he figured there was no harm in letting a little girl dress up and swan around with other little girls. Well, it wasn't cute, it was just creepy. We left and went to the Rangers game instead.

In Texas you'd never call that a date, that sounds really gross.

Archived