IGNORED

Chick-fil-A Daddy/Daughter Date Nights

dairyfreelife

ad hominem

That cake is not a lie.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well, I am not familiar with all of those organizations. But the few that I am familiar with don't seem to advocate daddy/daughter dating as a replacement for traditional dating. That is a pretty specific position and I would like to know if any of those organizations actually have listed this among their beliefs. Your reply suggested that you knew of one that did and could name it.

Go read them and get familiar. We are not going to do your research for you.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who feels like Amy is pushing an agenda here.

which organization are you referring to- I'm not being sarcastic, I am trying to pinpoint a specific basis for the accusation. If there is one, then fine.

Check out some of the organizations someone listed before (Eagle Forums was interesting... Apparently equal rights for women and girls is a terrible, horrible, very bad, no good thing. And all but one of the "homemaker of the year" women were listed as Mrs. Husbandsfirstname Husbandslastname.)

Glad to see I'm not the only one who feels like Amy is pushing an agenda here.

I've noticed an agenda on a few of her responses and although I don't think she has 'intern' status. I think she's part of that big happy family.

Basically, but I'd totally eat that bitchcake. It looks tasty.

I'm not above a little ad hominem to a proven troll. The bitchcake looked better than troll cakes, so I went with it.

Normally I don't agree with non-bubble gum products being the colour of pink bubble gum, but I would totally eat that cake.

eat mor kak, as the cows would say :)

I don't think this will become mainstream and acceptable, at least not in my part of the world (northern California).

I hate to tell you, but I live in northern California, and the local recreation center held a Father-Daughter Sweetheart Dance earlier this year:

"Dads, treat your other Valentine to the Father-Daughter Sweetheart Dance. Daughters aged 3 to 12 will enjoy an elegant evening of semi-formal dancing with their first fellow, their Dad. The fun gets started at 7:00 pm and concludes at 9:00 pm. Refreshments of snacks, desserts and beverages will be provided. Photographs and corsages may be available for an additional fee."

This is a totally non-fundie area, so it definitely seems to be seeping into mainstream culture.

They had one when my DD was in the 8th grade. Her dad wore fairy wings and a tye died Armani jacket. She was suitably attired as well. Most of the hippy parents used it as an occasion to rebel. Our town was getting more fundy by the day.

Go read them and get familiar. We are not going to do your research for you.

so you know, but you're not telling me.....because you think I should do research?

so you know, but you're not telling me.....because you think I should do research?

No! Not the research! Anything but research! :o

I feel guilty over how bleepin' delicious Chik-Fil-A is... I haven't eaten there since college -- it was on campus, and when your meal plans are limited, what can you do -- but still...

Ok, so some people still use antiquated terms like "lunch date". But how can you see that Valentines and hearts graphic and still claim that this is all innocent? I also hate the general implication that dads and daughters are just sooo different that they need a special event to spend time together because it's not like they could possibly have any interests in common and just be friends.

That is an antiquated term?

Yet Zsuzsanna used to take her kids to Chick-fil-A before she went all organic because she agreed with their values and wanted to support them.

They market to both mainstream conservative Christians and the fringe, and promoting the ideas of the fringe, like Daddy Daughter Dates, they make them more acceptable to the mainstream.

I do not thing this is a fringe idea. I have a pretty diverse group of friends, and lots of us call eating with our kids at school a date, or one on one time.

Wtf is date so sexual?

How much more sinister fundie shit about Chick-Fil-A needs to be posted before you see what their true motivations are likely to be?

And I don't care how many non-fundie men want to date their daughters or stepdaughters; it doesn't make it any less creepy. I don't know where you are from, but I'm pushing 50 years old and I'd never heard of such a thing as formal hearts and flowers daddy/daughter dating until I started reading sites like this one.

Well you don't know their true motivations on this either, you only know what your perceive to be their motivations based on things that don't directly state then. I think cfa as a company is shit. I think they are bigots. But I do not think that they are suggesting replacing romantic dates by dating your opposite gendered parent. Nor is the idea of a date with your kid just full of incest.

For fucks sake this place can go batshit crazy over some hearts and the word date.

I'll say it again - it is obvious that this chain is marketing towards a certain crowd - a crowd that includes people who think the idea of daddy dates as cute, and those that are into the whole weird purity thing.

And those two groups aren't nessecarily the same,

For fucks sake this place can go batshit crazy over some hearts and the word date.

If there was an event called the Father-Son Sweetheart Dance and Date Night, with an emphasis on hearts and flowers in its advertising, would that not bring to mind incest?

I find it odd that such events between fathers and daughters are seen as cute and normal, but they would never be seen that way if they were between fathers and sons.

And those two groups aren't nessecarily the same,

But, very often, [link=http://www.glamour.com/sex-love-life/2007/01/purity-balls]they are.[/link]

The men look dapper in tuxedos; their dates are resplendent in floor-length gowns, long white gloves and tiaras framing twirly, ornate updos. Seated at a table with four couples, I watch as the gray-haired man next to me reaches into his breast pocket, pulls out a small satin box and flips it open to check out a gold ring he’s about to place on the finger of the woman sitting to his right. Her eyes well up with tears as she is overcome by emotion.

The man’s date? His 25-year-old daughter. Welcome to Colorado Springs’ Seventh Annual Father-Daughter Purity Ball, held at the five-star Broadmoor Hotel. The event’s purpose is, in part, to celebrate dad-daughter bonding, but the main agenda is for fathers to vow to protect the girls’ chastity until they marry and for the daughters to promise to stay pure. Pastor Randy Wilson, host of the event and cofounder of the ball, strides to the front of the room, takes the microphone and asks the men, “Are you ready to war for your daughters’ purity?â€

If there was an event called the Father-Son Sweetheart Dance and Date Night, with an emphasis on hearts and flowers in its advertising, would that not bring to mind incest?

It's this thing with fathers and daughters in America that such things are seen as cute and normal, but they would never be seen that way if they were between fathers and sons.

Except hearts and pink and flowers are considered gender normative for girls,

I have gone out on dates with my son. I use that word. In fact when I want to plan them I say hey treeboy, we need to do a date night...think about what you might want to do. I am not pushing some purity agenda. I said hey treeboy, your sexuality is your business, here is how to be safe, and it is up to you to make decisions about with whose and when. I am hardly fringe. I am pretty damn average mainstream.

I suspect cfa is attempting to appeal to my demographic (albeit with younger kids). They might be bigots and conservative and anti-gay and a company that appealed to the viewers of the duggars, but that does not mean they are supporting incest. This concept is a pretty mainstream one . I understand why some people are squicked out, but I do not understand tha massive leaps logic is taking them.

Archived