IGNORED

Chick-fil-A Daddy/Daughter Date Nights

dairyfreelife

daddydaughterdate.com

Then this post giving reasons why Daddies should date their daughters. Sorry, but calling it a date is so strange to me. Seriously, just hang out with your child, take them to eat at their favorite place, etc. It's bonding, not a date.

http://www.thesaturdayeveningpot.com

thesaturdayeveningpot.com/2012/06/daddy-daugher-date-night-at-chick-fil.html

ETA: second link fixed. Can't break or it won't link for some reason

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The second link doesn't work, but I found one from the Dover Post:

doverpost.com/news/x1644233260/Daddy-Daughter-Date-Night-at-Chick-fil-A-in-North-Dover-a-hit

They are allowed to send invitations for this to schools?

This sounds way more fun than all those times my dad took me to the zoo, the science museum, the natural history museum, the botanical gardens, the renaissance fair . . . or, when we couldn't go places, when we would play board games or watch something on TV together. All of those times we spent together must not have been worth anything because they weren't "dates" set up by a Christian fast-food joint.

Wait a second.... These fundy daughters can't "date" a boy their own age because that is some sort of sexual abomination against God, but they are allowed to date their fathers?!?!?

That's got make even God feel a little squicky.

Guest Anonymous
Wait a second.... These fundy daughters can't "date" a boy their own age because that is some sort of sexual abomination against God, but they are allowed to date their fathers?!?!?

That's got make even God feel a little squicky.

This is especially odd when you consider that, in fundiedom, a girl defrauding her father is considered a real and ever-present threat. I know I've read on here about men not being allowed to change nappies or be left alone with their daughters for exactly that reason.

I don't find it weird in general to use the term "date" when talking about going on special outings with your kids. When I was in college I used to take my niece and nephew on an "Auntie Date" for their birthdays. "Date" isn't necessarily a sexual/romantic term. After all, I go on coffee dates or movie dates with my friends or just call it a "GirlDate" or a "ManDate" if my husband hangs out with a friend. But in the context of the fundies who are all "DATING IS EBUL!!!!" It does seem really strange when THEY use the term.

I remember Chik-Fil-A did this last year and I think it was discussed here. When I was growing up my dad and I used to have movie nights or outings, but we never called them "dates". If I was to tell my dad about this event and how it was called a "date night", he find it to be squicky. I also remember there was a Christian man who wrote some book called "Daddy/Daughter Dates" or something like that.

This is especially odd when you consider that, in fundiedom, a girl defrauding her father is considered a real and ever-present threat. I know I've read on here about men not being allowed to change nappies or be left alone with their daughters for exactly that reason.
I've heard that about their own siblings, which is disgusting enough. But fathers? Tell me you're kidding.

Ya know, people like this are giving healthy father/daughter relationships a bad name. My husband will spend time with our daughter one on one and used to jokingly refer to it as "Daddy Date Night". After he saw some documentary on purity balls, he stopped calling them that even jokingly, in favor of the open-ended "Spending Time with Daughter". (Thank you fundies for introducing ickiness where none previously existed.)

And fathers should spend time with their daughters, indeed all their children, because it makes for more secure children, closer families, and ultimately better adjusted independent adults. Not because you think your daughter needs to make you the man she compares all other men to. Or whatever weird ass reason they're espousing this week.

Purity balls creep me out. Why is a father in charge of his daughter's 'purity'? Why is a girl promising to stay 'pure' so young? Why is she 'impure' if she changes her mind? Why aren't there any for boys?

My father would rather cut his leg off than talk about sex with me. We do enjoy spending time together though, obviously in a non-squicky way.

Then there's this book (although I don't think this guy's fundy, he definitely has some fundy fans)

daddydates.thewrighttrack.com/

I'm all for doing something special, one-on-one, with your kids. Maybe even jokingly calling it a "date." But the seriousness with which these group take it is creepy. Part of what bugs me is the same thing with dads who "babysit" their kids. Dads should be involved with their kids on a day-to-day basis.

I've heard that about their own siblings, which is disgusting enough. But fathers? Tell me you're kidding.

Ya know, people like this are giving healthy father/daughter relationships a bad name. My husband will spend time with our daughter one on one and used to jokingly refer to it as "Daddy Date Night". After he saw some documentary on purity balls, he stopped calling them that even jokingly, in favor of the open-ended "Spending Time with Daughter". (Thank you fundies for introducing ickiness where none previously existed.)

And fathers should spend time with their daughters, indeed all their children, because it makes for more secure children, closer families, and ultimately better adjusted independent adults. Not because you think your daughter needs to make you the man she compares all other men to. Or whatever weird ass reason they're espousing this week.

There's a verse in the New Testament that talks about "to the pure, all things are pure" (Titus 1:15) and yet the adults in the movement choose to completely overlook verses like that and only focus on...hmm, NON-biblical things such as daughters being able to defraud their fathers/brothers - something that wouldn't even cross the minds of normal people (Christian or not). I believe that causes all of them to become even *more* "defrauded" then they otherwise would be. When everything's an emergency, then nothing is. It's the same for fundy-defrauding. It wasn't at all defrauding untill they made it that way and now every miniscule thing's defrauding. It's sick & twisted and these people should NOT be having children!

I can't even form complete sentences about this topic. I mostly avoid it because of the violent fits of rage that ensue in my head.

This is what happens when you don't let people's sexuality develop normally. You get all these sexually and emotionally stunted men making ridiculous rules for women and imposing them on their daughters all in the name of "morality."

RAGE

Chick-Fil-A also does a mom and son date night, FYI. They were advertising it a few weeks ago, and I know a couple people who went. I think it's great the restaurants are trying to encourage parents spending time with their kids; as far as advertising goes, at least this is one stunt that might have some good come out of it.

But alas, I'm not surprised the fundies choose to latch onto daddy-daughter night and not mom-son night. Can't have the boys spending too much time with their mommas, after all. They might turn out 'funny'! *eye roll*

This whole thing sickens me. Why not just have courting night? Far less squicky. I'm glad I don't east fast food.

This whole thing sickens me. Why not just have courting night? Far less squicky. I'm glad I don't east fast food.

Silly Vision, don't you know only almost-married couples court? Only fathers are allowed to date their daughters. 8-)

Silly Vision, don't you know only almost-married couples court? Only fathers are allowed to date their daughters. 8-)

Ewww, reading my post again I've just squicked myself out! Ugh.

This is another example of the emotional incest that exists within many fundamentalist movements. It's similar to purity balls in its intent.

Almost married people like to eat chicken too? Don't forget about date night for married people. Once you're married, then you can date!

I'd like to ask someone attending one of these things - "Isn't that really incestuous?" and see what kinda reaction I get.

Ugh, creepy. Speaking as an outsider (I grew up with two lesbian moms, no dad), I find a lot of the father/daughter relationship in Western culture to be on the squicky side. It's not even just the fundies! Mainstream society has got it going on, too. There are a lot of "cute" aspects that I don't see as healthy, such as promoting a quasi-romantic relationship, ie: father/daughter dates, father/daughter dances, mock (or real!) jealousy when daughters start to date, etc.

This. I was at Barnes and Noble last night, and I happened to glance at their Father's Day table. There was a book called Why Every Daughter Needs a Father that was heavily influenced by this line of thinking. Of course, it was assuming that every daughter is heterosexual and every father is supposed to be a role model for her future husband. As if all women are the same, all men are the same, and there's something about being male that qualifies them to be heroes/leaders of women. And this wasn't even a Christian book!

I blame the idea that a woman is more likely to "sleep around" or date lower-class guys if she doesn't have a father deeply involved in her life. This morphs into the idea that the woman is looking for the attention she would be getting from her father elsewhere. Therefore..... fathers interactions with their daughters take the place of sex with men. If fathers want to discourage sex with men they need to be highly involved in their daughters life. Fathers also need to treat their daughters like they want her one-day suitor to treat her so that she'll know what she's looking for.

Crap? Yes. But this is where they're coming from I think.

I saw a Supernanny episode and she told the dad he had to be there more for his daughters because otherwise all the other girls would do the same as the eldest and get pregnant at sixteen! Because it was clearly because she was looking for love in the wrong places rather than not having a clue about contraception, as no one had told her anything.

It really pissed me off. I thought Supernanny was more progressive than that.

Ugh, creepy. Speaking as an outsider (I grew up with two lesbian moms, no dad), I find a lot of the father/daughter relationship in Western culture to be on the squicky side. It's not even just the fundies! Mainstream society has got it going on, too. There are a lot of "cute" aspects that I don't see as healthy, such as promoting a quasi-romantic relationship, ie: father/daughter dates, father/daughter dances, mock (or real!) jealousy when daughters start to date, etc.

This. I was at Barnes and Noble last night, and I happened to glance at their Father's Day table. There was a book called Why Every Daughter Needs a Father that was heavily influenced by this line of thinking. Of course, it was assuming that every daughter is heterosexual and every father is supposed to be a role model for her future husband. As if all women are the same, all men are the same, and there's something about being male that qualifies them to be heroes/leaders of women. And this wasn't even a Christian book!

A lady in my book club said something about that book recently and about how gay marriage is "bad" because kids need a mother and father to model a good relationship for them so they don't get into an abusive marriage. I shot that shit down pretty quickly. I learned a hell of a lot more from my best friend's lesbian moms than from my own hetero parents about what a good relationship looks like. I've modeled my own hetero marriage after things I learned from them, like respecting your partner as a human being, developing your own interests so that you're not overly clingy and about taking care of each other out of love. My own parents were very patriarchy heavy and my mom was a martyr in a lot of ways. She eventually snapped and attempted suicide due to her feelings of worthlessness because she couldn't be the perfect wife. It's ridiculous how toxic these relationships can get. Wow, that was off topic, sorry.

Yuck...

I'm so glad my dad didn't treat me like this growing up. I got to hang out with him quite a bit and we never had to arrange it. He never had a thing to say about my dating choices; he trusted me to make good choices. I've never been attracted to bad boys anyway, so he had nothing to worry about. I was, and still am a tomboy and he never tried to discourage me. He set up the sprinkler in the yard, helped us build forts and encouraged me to play outside and get dirty with the boys. I can't remember ever once being told that I couldn't or shouldn't do something becaue I was a girl. He also had zero interest in my virginity or who I gave it to or saved it for.

ok, I think you guys are way over-reacting. Having a "date" with someone has more than one meaning. If I said that I had a lunch date with my girlfriend, would you all assume that I am sleeping with her?! Probably not, you would probably assume that she and I made a "date" for lunch. If another mom and I have I "museam trip date planned with our kids", would you by shocked?? Daddy/daughter "dates" is not a fundie concept. I've know about this idea my whole life, and have known or heard of many people who do this. The military hosts father/daughter dances, and as far as I know, has been doing this for a long time. It definately outdates the "purity ball" concept (which is kind of squicky).

Wonder why they aren't hosting a Mother/Son date night.......

Archived