IGNORED

The Most Hated Family in America

AtroposHeart

Yeah, I have seen it. It was weird cause they seemed so normal when they were not talking about anything to do with their religious views, nice even. I also thought it was weird how in some regards they could fit right in with mainstream society. They wore normal clothes, and were aware of mainstream entertainment, and even danced! But overall a weird mix of extreme views combined with some normal, mainstream characteristics.

At least most people know the WBC is full of crazies, thanks to patriarch Fred Phleps and his insistence on protesting every little think that ticks him off.

Louis is one of my heros. There is also a follow up visit by Louis on Youtube.

I've seen both and I wish Louis would do another follow up now that Jael is married.

Interesting. Back in the 1960s and 1970s, the most hated family in America was Madalyn Murray-O'Hair and her children.

Yes, and I also saw the followup. Don't want to give anything away, but it's soooo good ;D

I'm hoping he does another followup... they have changed their views since getting away from their mother. Gives me hope for other kids raised with hate (looking at you un-fundies!)

I can't remember whether it's this one, or the follow-up, where Louis asks one of Shirley's kids what would happen if she died, and she says "My mother would rejoice, it's God's righteous judgment". About ten minutes later, there's a scene where someone throws a coke cup out the window at Shirley's young (about 10yo) son. She rushes to him, kisses his head, and angrily asks who would do such a thing. Not "Praise Jesus, God hates my son! God sent that cup!"

From what I remember, I was surprised that during the church service, the women cover their heads, but wear tank tops and low cut tops. It wasn't that unusual when they wore shorts and tanks doing every day stuff, but I expected church clothes to be more modest.

That documentary has one of my all=time favorite quotes... YA GONNA EETCHA BABEEZ!

I refuse to believe WBC isn't a free willed performance art piece constructed by some Dadaist, possibly Fred Phelps, himself.

I refuse to believe WBC isn't a free willed performance art piece constructed by some Dadaist, possibly Fred Phelps, himself.

:lol:

You just made me snort Ginger Ale up my nose. It burns, (like the fiery pits of hell) damn you! :P

The WBC documentaries and the entire Weird Weekends series are among my favorite of Louis Theroux.

I can't wait to see the picket line when old Phelpsie finally kicks the bucket.

I've had thoughts about them faking it too, but not for art. Lots of those members have legal backgrounds, and there's lots of money to be made in frivilious lawsuits about your "right" to hate, err have freedom of speech and religion, being taken away.

Guest Anonymous
I can't wait to see the picket line when old Phelpsie finally kicks the bucket.

Maybe I am perverse but I would love to see everyone let them go about their business without even a murmer. Or alternately, respectful folks holding signs that say, "Sorry for your loss." I feel like if I were to picket a funeral, I would become them. Staring into the abyss, and all that. Much as I am not a fan of Nietzsche he made a fair point or two. They undoubtedly deserve a dose of what they have dished out, but the other way would leave them without any reason to scream persecution.

I agree with you, Lissar. While they may deserve it, I don't want anyone to be the type of person who would picket a funeral.

Maybe I am perverse but I would love to see everyone let them go about their business without even a murmer. Or alternately, respectful folks holding signs that say, "Sorry for your loss." I feel like if I were to picket a funeral, I would become them. Staring into the abyss, and all that. Much as I am not a fan of Nietzsche he made a fair point or two. They undoubtedly deserve a dose of what they have dished out, but the other way would leave them without any reason to scream persecution.

Yea its the old Col. Kurtz dichotomy, we become that which we hate.

You have a point and I get what you're saying. That is, if we sink to their level, are we really any better than they are? I think they would probably revel in the attention. I think I've said before, that I've taken part in a few counter WBC protests, before realizing while fun, they were ultimately pointless because these people thrive on attention.

I think I'm the perverse one. I wouldn't picket his funeral, but there's no doubt that it's going to happen. And I don't think I could help feeling just a wee bit gleeful. Fred Phelps is truly the scum of the Earth.

I've seen the documentary and the follow up Louis did a few years later. Shirley Phelps is one scary bitch, no matter how "sweet" she portrays herself at times. According to Libby Phelps, Shirley is the meanest while Fred Phelps' wife is the nicest. Doesn't surprise me one bit. That whole cult is filled with hypocrisy and even when Fred dies, I highly doubt the "church" will crumble. Steve Drain has drunk enough kool-aid since joining the church, that he'll more than likely continue the cult and be a younger version of Fred, himself. The same thing goes for Shirley Phelps-she definitely has no problem disowning her own children to go to "Heaven" so I doubt she'll turn liberal once the patriarch passes away.

The alternative rock radio station (x96) dose a boner of the day each day. They finally retired the WBBC because they were tired of all ` attention whore actions of the family. They were also tired of then always winning when a story about them came out.

Archived