IGNORED

Housefire Family With 16 Kids - Arson Arrest

Sola

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just saw this report on Sky as well. I remember reading that the father complained their council house was too small. Do you think the parents set the fire in order to force the council to move them to a larger house? Also just found out that the parents were staying/sleeping outside in a caravan when the fire started.

Guest Anonymous

Don't know. It is not uncommon for parents to be arrested and later released in such circumstances so I'd say it is too early to judge. Suspiscion would have to be about more than council housing though. The hypothesis about wanting a bigger home could only lead to a charge of manslaughter, if the children had indeed died as an accidental outcome of firesetting to a family home.

Just heard myself and i couldn't believe it. Anniec is correct though, they may well be released without charge. There was a case last year where a nurse was arrested over some suspicious deaths at a hospital. The tabloids went to town on her and her life was ruined. She ended up being released without charge as she was wholly innocent.

If it was the parents... well I don't know what to say.

I think this was posted on FJ when it happened. Now it's taken a sad turn:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-de ... e-18250397

Derbyshire Police said petrol was used to start the fire which was believed to have begun below the house's letterbox.

Philpottt family in 2007 Mick Philpott made headlines in 2006 after asking for a larger council house for his family

Five days after the attack Mr and Mrs Philpott held a brief press conference and thanked those who tried to rescue the children and members of the local community for their support.

Speaking after the arrests, Assistant Chief Constable Steve Cotterill said: "In view of the arrests, I would urge anyone who may have been holding back, not felt comfortable to voice their concerns or not had the confidence, to do so now.

Did I read the article correctly? The authorities think the parents did it? What kind of monsters are those parents??

Guest Anonymous
Did I read the article correctly? The authorities think the parents did it? What kind of monsters are those parents??

They may just be grieving parents as yet.

There's about two hours left for the police to question the parents, it's likely that they'll be released on bail. It's also likely that the parents being arrested will make people come forward with more information if they know the parents aren't guilty. Innocent until proven guilty anyway.

There's about two hours left for the police to question the parents, it's likely that they'll be released on bail. It's also likely that the parents being arrested will make people come forward with more information if they know the parents aren't guilty. Innocent until proven guilty anyway.

QFT (although...ah well, I moan enough about the police...)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2151521/Derby-house-Mick-Mairead-Philpott-arrested-suspicion-MURDER.html

The article says that the flowers etc. left as tributes have been moved from the house (although it is the Daily Fail...)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-18260093

According to this they are still being held.

Tributes will have had to be moved because it's a crime scene and there will be searches for evidence etc on the property.

The police can hold them until 10am GMT, which is in about an hour, although they can apply to hold them for up to 12 hours more.

Don't know. It is not uncommon for parents to be arrested and later released in such circumstances so I'd say it is too early to judge. Suspiscion would have to be about more than council housing though. The hypothesis about wanting a bigger home could only lead to a charge of manslaughter, if the children had indeed died as an accidental outcome of firesetting to a family home.

I was going to say the same thing...often the parents are the first suspects in murders/kidnappings (they were the only people around, also it might be statistically more likely than a stranger, or police just want someone to blame) and there have been several awful cases where parents have been arrested, released without charge (and with no evidence there should be any) but still have their names ruined and their grief compounded. They also held and released another couple immediately after the fire, so maybe they're just guessing.

I do wonder in this case though...I think someone having that many children under such circumstances is not entirely sane or sensible (if they were before, with that many little people running around possibly not) so who knows what they might think is a good idea to get some out of the way, or to get a bigger house or whatever...

Didn't his other woman move out with her kids just before? I think I read that. They said it was a coincidence but maybe she had her suspicions...

Tributes will have had to be moved because it's a crime scene and there will be searches for evidence etc on the property.

Not sure why the tributes weren't moved before though, it was established early on that the fire was started deliberately.

Pales into insignificance when you think about those poor kids :cry:

• 10 months later...

I didn't get to read the article in depth, but have they been sentenced yet? Also, I wasn't sure whether all three defendants were found guilty or just Mark Philpott.

Either way, that guy's a creep and society will be better off rid of him.

I didn't get to read the article in depth, but have they been sentenced yet? Also, I wasn't sure whether all three defendants were found guilty or just Mark Philpott.

Either way, that guy's a creep and society will be better off rid of him.

All three were found guilty (both men unanimously, the mother by a majority), sentencing is Wednesday.

I don't understand. The children murdered were all the bio-kids of the man and woman charged, and all the bio-kids of the man and the other woman (who they were getting "revenge" on) had been taken from the house by her? Is that correct? I suppose it says a lot about humanity that I instantly believe a man would murder his own children, but get confused when I find out their mother was involved.

I don't understand. The children murdered were all the bio-kids of the man and woman charged, and all the bio-kids of the man and the other woman (who they were getting "revenge" on) had been taken from the house by her? Is that correct? I suppose it says a lot about humanity that I instantly believe a man would murder his own children, but get confused when I find out their mother was involved.

I believe the 'other woman' and her kids had already moved out and he was trying to get custody of them. They were trying to make it look like she started the fire so she would be arrested and he would then be able to get the kids from her. The children who died were all the bio kids of Philpott and his wife. Apparently he thought he would be able to rescue them and play the hero.

The wife has been found to have been involved in starting the fire with him, but it sounds like he was very controlling and had already been in prison for attempted murder (I think) on a previous partner.

I believe the 'other woman' and her kids had already moved out and he was trying to get custody of them. They were trying to make it look like she started the fire so she would be arrested and he would then be able to get the kids from her. The children who died were all the bio kids of Philpott and his wife. Apparently he thought he would be able to rescue them and play the hero.

The wife has been found to have been involved in starting the fire with him, but it sounds like he was very controlling and had already been in prison for attempted murder (I think) on a previous partner.

Ohhhh. Gotcha, gotcha. Thank you.

WOW

what a controlling monster

i can't tell which is worst - the description just goes on and on and on

in my eyes he was "keeping" these 2 "wives" just like prostitutes

Sentencing was deferred to this morning;

Mick Philpott; life with a minimum of 15 years to be served.

Mairead Philpott and Paul Mosley; 17 years jail with at least half that to be served.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-22023117

Judges summing up remarks - http://www.judiciary.gov.uk/Resources/JCO/Documents/Judgments/r-v-philpott-philpott-and-mosley-sentencing-remarks.pdf

The links above are okay, but please be aware that some stories about the case have photographs of the interior of the house.

This guy is discusting!! So glad he was convinced!! What made theses women want to be with him!! He was old enough to be their fathers!

Archived