IGNORED

Housefire Family With 16 Kids - Arson Arrest

Sola

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-18031768

Five children from a family of 17 children, have died in a fire which looks like it could be arson. I'm not sure if they are quiverfull, but they are Catholic. It's about 40 or so miles away from where I live.

It's a tragedy.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's horrible! Those poor children. And what a nightmare for their grieving family.

Why was he arrested? I didn't see anything in the article mentioning why they thought it was arson as opposed to an electrical or other accidental type of fire. Also interesting that the family involved was a husband, wife, girlfriend, and children which seemed to all live under the same roof.

My thoughts do go out for the family during this tragedy.

Yeah, I was also going to mention that HE has 17 kids, but it sounds like they aren't all with the same woman.

Why was he arrested? I didn't see anything in the article mentioning why they thought it was arson as opposed to an electrical or other accidental type of fire. Also interesting that the family involved was a husband, wife, girlfriend, and children which seemed to all live under the same roof.

I saw it on a French newspaper online and they say this man was known for refusing to work while he was receiving state assistance for his 17 kids. I don't know if that,s the motive, but it was kind of implied by the journalist.

Terribly sad, those poor children. The 13 year old is in hospital in a critical condition too.

The father has 17 children by several women and there has been recent disagreement about his contact with some of them. Some of his older children have chosen to have nothing to do with him as well (this was there for all to see on Facebook as recently as yesterday).

If all 17 children lived with their parents (and were under 19 and in full time education) then the parents would get just under £235 ($378) per week in Child Benefit alone.

Headlines on BBC are currently saying that a man and a woman have been arrested on suspicion of murder.

Edited because I mis-heard the news report.

The dad hasn't been arrested. An unidentified 38 y/o male has been arrested, the father of the children is in his late 50's so it's not him.

I am actually from the next city to Derby, and don't live too many miles from their home. The father of the children in question hasn't got the greatest reputation as he has been on a low-brow tv show (Jeremy Kyle), but despite that, my heart is so heavy for him to lose five of his own, and those poor children who died in the most horrendous way, not forgetting what their brothers and sisters will be going through right now. It doesn't matter whether they claimed off the state or not; innocent children have died and the thought that members of their family could be directly involved in their deaths is despicable.

I am actually from the next city to Derby, and don't live too many miles from their home. The father of the children in question hasn't got the greatest reputation as he has been on a low-brow tv show (Jeremy Kyle), but despite that, my heart is so heavy for him to lose five of his own, and those poor children who died in the most horrendous way, not forgetting what their brothers and sisters will be going through right now. It doesn't matter whether they claimed off the state or not; innocent children have died and the thought that members of their family could be directly involved in their deaths is despicable.

:clap: Well said. I can't bear the thought of anyone losing a child but to lose 5 is stuff that nightmares are made of no matter who it is. That poor, poor family.

I live about 35/40 miles from Derby.

Quick update - Daily Mail is reporting that the life support of the sixth child injured in the fire may be turned off. The tragedy just gets worse.

It really is all around sad. I can't criticize this man's lifestyle with all this tragedy.

Though trying to fit that many kids into a council house...yikes. Most of DH's family live in council homes or ones they bought off the council, and are generally smaller than American homes. DH's uncle in law lived in one with 3 kids (no converted loft either) and for a while their oldest daughter's bf and baby lived there as well. I don't know how they all didn't kill each other in such a small space.

Fundie or not, no one deserves this. Everyone, even the Duggars and ZsuZsu would feel devastated to lose even ONE. To lose SIX- I couldn't take it.

Thos poor babies. No one deserves this. Poor children, I only just heard about the 6th. They've been on the news here. It's so sad. Why?

A 6th child died yesterday. Can you imagine having to bury SIX of your children all at once?

DH had two cousins die in a house fire (very similar circumstances too...and very suspicious). Whenever he talks about the day it happened it is just so horrifying...but then multiply by 3? I hope the other kids are close to their dad as they will all need each other's support.

Fundie or not, no one deserves this. Everyone, even the Duggars and ZsuZsu would feel devastated to lose even ONE. To lose SIX- I couldn't take it.

Because you are a decent person.

Zsu's response to the death of my younger son was, why do you mourn, to you (as an atheist) he was nothing more than a lump of cells.

Reading about this poor children, their parents, siblings and everybody involved, this is an absolute nightmare.

I can't find the words to express what I feel.

This story is absolutely heartbreaking. I like in the UK and have been following it closely as anything to do with kids really get to me

The horror of having to bury all of your 6 children is beyond comprehension, I am so sorry for this mum.

Another sad thing is that the other mum who was also living in the house moved out with her kids a week before the tragedy and there was a lot on tension between her and the kids father. I do hope they do manage to, at least be friends again, otherwise it means more loss for all involved including the surviving 6 children.

Archived