IGNORED

The Lord's Boot Camp- Scarier than Jesus Camp

SpeakNow

p4fQ42nK5G4

It's basically an indoctrination camp...but....they are training children to become missionaries. It follows three girls- Tabby and Valerie are willing participants. Nicole is sent to camp after dealing with drug issues. Tabby is obnoxious about converting people.

For those that don't want to watch all 42 minutes, here are some highlights-

14:54- The prayer closet (which is at the top of a really tall ladder)

15:57- Valerie talks about how Nicole is "rebellious" and obviously not used to constant authority

16:13- Nicole gets in trouble for not being modest. Her shirt is rolled up slightly and you can see less than an inch of skin on her side

16:44- "Special Blessings" aka punishments for really stupid "infractions" like failing to wear a name tag

17:57- Tabby's team learns how to convert Jews. In the process, the team makes fun of Jews

18:50- Tabby's team invades a local senior citizens' center and tries to convert the unsuspecting elders

20:45- Evolution is "debunked." Tabby talks about the "crazy" beliefs scientists have about how the world began. Valerie talks about giving up her beliefs in evolution.

21:35- A special guest speaker--Billy Graham's grandson--tells the campers that their purpose is not to help the people on the missions. Instead, their purpose is to save souls.

37:17- Tabby meets a Mormon family. The mother is not happy about the evangelizing. Tabby "converts" the daughter anyway.

This was honestly more terrifying than Jesus camp.

p4fQ42nK5G4

It's basically an indoctrination camp...but....they are training children to become missionaries. It follows three girls- Tabby and Valerie are willing participants. Nicole is sent to camp after dealing with drug issues. Tabby is obnoxious about converting people.

For those that don't want to watch all 42 minutes, here are some highlights-

14:54- The prayer closet (which is at the top of a really tall ladder)

15:57- Valerie talks about how Nicole is "rebellious" and obviously not used to constant authority

16:13- Nicole gets in trouble for not being modest. Her shirt is rolled up slightly and you can see less than an inch of skin on her side

16:44- "Special Blessings" aka punishments for really stupid "infractions" like failing to wear a name tag

17:57- Tabby's team learns how to convert Jews. In the process, the team makes fun of Jews

18:50- Tabby's team invades a local senior citizens' center and tries to convert the unsuspecting elders

20:45- Evolution is "debunked." Tabby talks about the "crazy" beliefs scientists have about how the world began. Valerie talks about giving up her beliefs in evolution.

21:35- A special guest speaker--Billy Graham's grandson--tells the campers that their purpose is not to help the people on the missions. Instead, their purpose is to save souls.

37:17- Tabby meets a Mormon family. The mother is not happy about the evangelizing. Tabby "converts" the daughter anyway.

This was honestly more terrifying than Jesus camp.

Using kids shows that they cant logically convince adults to follow their religion. They have to use children to guilt people into listening.

I have two friends who went to one of those camps in the early 1990s. One of them got a lot of "special blessings" for ridiculously stupid stuff.

I'm watching it and these are my thoughts about just the first six minutes.

The brainwashing rah rah rah at the beginning is disturbing to me. Maybe it wouldn't disturb others. To me it looks like something that a stereotypical movie tyrant would do to gain control over young people. But again, maybe others would just see the kids as having fun and getting passionate about something.

Valerie's parents fought with her because she accepted evolution and saw value in other religions. To keep her mind stagnate they took her to church. Don't misunderstand me, I don't think that going to church can stunt a person's intellectual growth but in this case the parents really did take her to church to keep her from having ideas different then their own.

my thoughts on the first 17 minutes. Sorry. I should only do two of these posts one at the halfway point and the end but darn it, there is a lot that aggravates me.

More thoughts. What is the use of the obstacle coarse? The owner? says that it is not for physical fitness but to bind the kids together. They seem to do a lot of physically useless things like building a wall of bible books and running laps.

One girl almost passed out from dehydration.

Poor Nicole. By sending her to this camp, her mom probably set her up to be a lifelong atheist. LOL She says she signed up to help kids in Africa, not go to boot camp. I like her. She reminds me of my daughter Abbie who has a naturally rebellious personality.

Between the 18 and 19th minute mark, they mock Jewish people. Obviously, understanding the faith of those you want to convert is not necessary. Why is the fake Jew an older, bent person? Oh and asking how someone knows that Jesus is the son of god is a little too hard for this group to answer.

The poor, elderly people at the home are a captive audience. That just makes me angry.

Tabby is very annoying. She hasn't just drunk the kool-aid, she dived into a pool of the overly sweet drink and drowned.

Guest Anonymous

I googled Tabi Taylor and found she was applying to be a leader on the trip last year.

I bet 16-year old Tabi will really enjoy demanding respect and giving "special blessings" to the younger girls..... :?

Between the 18 and 19th minute mark, they mock Jewish people. Obviously, understanding the faith of those you want to convert is not necessary. Why is the fake Jew an older, bent person?

The Jewish stuff was just totally offensive. Well, all of it was offensive, but the mockery of Jewish people particularly so. God help those kids if they run into a Jewish person in real life and try to convert them; even the secular Jews I know with almost no Jewish education would tear those kids to shreds. Nicely, because these are kids, but it wouldn't end well, I don't think.

The poor, elderly people at the home are a captive audience. That just makes me angry.

That was awful. How pissed off would you be if your mother or father or grandparent was in that nursing home and you showed up to visit the week after all of this was shot and heard what happened? Good Lord. Though the bit with the elderly woman being "saved" cracked me up. Here this woman is crying and praying, and Tabby is all, "I am so happy for you... yeah, lemme go and get a form...." Her mouth is moving, she says all the right words, but it's obviously as much about the numbers and the power as it is about "saving" anyone for her. Ugh.

I googled Tabi Taylor and found she was applying to be a leader on the trip last year.

I bet 16-year old Tabi will really enjoy demanding respect and giving "special blessings" to the younger girls..... :?

Tabi might be the easier kid to parent but I would so rather have a Nicole who thinks for herself. Despite her bad attitude, Nicole wants to help people.

My heart broke for Valerie who said that she gave up her belief in science based on the speaker's presentation.

I found evangelism gimmicks like asking people to take a survey is dishonest. The goal is to get the person to stop and listen. Why not be honest with what you are selling?

Valerie and Nicole went to Africa and they both seem very moved by the experience. I think that they are more into helping people then sharing the gospel which makes me like both girls. Hopefully, Valerie will go to college like she wants and learn that creationism is bunk.

Tabi makes Mormons sound like some strange exotic creature. LOL "Oh my god, a Mormon!" The bible does say that you are saved through baptism and faith. Tabi's group is not about honoring parents when it comes to changing religions.

Val's boyfriend looks older then her.

Nicole's mother needs to find her a good therapist to help her get off drugs.

John 3:5

Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit
Jesus seems indicates that work play a part in salvation. Paul seems to say something different. It would be silly to believe that someone is not a Christian based on their view about baptism

I felt a little sorry for Tabi at the end when she waved at the football players. She obviously wants to fit into some group, perhaps be a leader. Even though she is annoying, she is still a teen who is probably just seeking to belong.

My best friend accidentally wound up at one of these camps when she was 10. Her friend's mom convinced her parents it was just a summer camp.

One of the first nights she was there they gathered around the campfire with smores and the 'counselor' started telling them a story of how a man in a trenchcoat decided to follow him when he was a sinner, and KNEW it was Satan because his "dog barked at him! And, my dog, he's a Christian dog, he don't bark at the Lord's people, only Satan's Army." My friend cracked up and was the only one laughing, and proceeded to ask the counselor how he made the dog accept Jesus, did the dog bark once for yes and twice for no? At this point they all decided she needed God's intervention and started praying over her. She told them she wanted to leave -- and this is the worst part for me -- they tried to tell her they didn't have a phone anywhere and she just had to stay for the week -- but she was a smart kid and told them they were liars because she saw the phone line, and they'd be in for it when her mom came and she told them she tried to leave a week ago.

They finally let her call and when her mom came, they tried to convince her to make her stay, so they could "save her." Her mom laughed, told them off, and took her home.

My best friend accidentally wound up at one of these camps when she was 10. Her friend's mom convinced her parents it was just a summer camp.

One of the first nights she was there they gathered around the campfire with smores and the 'counselor' started telling them a story of how a man in a trenchcoat decided to follow him when he was a sinner, and KNEW it was Satan because his "dog barked at him! And, my dog, he's a Christian dog, he don't bark at the Lord's people, only Satan's Army." My friend cracked up and was the only one laughing, and proceeded to ask the counselor how he made the dog accept Jesus, did the dog bark once for yes and twice for no? At this point they all decided she needed God's intervention and started praying over her. She told them she wanted to leave -- and this is the worst part for me -- they tried to tell her they didn't have a phone anywhere and she just had to stay for the week -- but she was a smart kid and told them they were liars because she saw the phone line, and they'd be in for it when her mom came and she told them she tried to leave a week ago.

They finally let her call and when her mom came, they tried to convince her to make her stay, so they could "save her." Her mom laughed, told them off, and took her home.

Ugh, that sounds awful. Good for her for standing up for herself! I'll watch this movie later, since I have to get ready for an interview this morning, but it sounds incredibly messed up. I went to church camps as a kid, but it was about doing fun outdoor activities (winter camp was the best, we'd spend all weekend sledding), playing games, making crafts, and Bible study, not trying to "save" anyone. Then again, Lutheran's aren't known for Hellfire and brimstone tactics nor are they too hung up on the whole Evangelical idea of being "saved".

This is what worries me about sending my kid to overnight camps. lol

Your friend's kid was NOT in a Teen Missions teen team. You must be 13 to go. Could have been a pre-teen team but I highly doubt it since your bags are searched during intake processing and you aren't allowed to keep food in your tents at all. So there wouldn't be roasting marshmellows over a fire.

The purpose of the obstacle course is to promote team cohesiveness so you can get the culture shock over in FL and be capable of doing the work you're supposed to do overseas.

Most TMI teams are work teams. They are invited by mission groups around the world to do specific work over the summer. Only a small portion of the teams are Evangelical teams and they tend to be exclusively girls except for the rare drama teams, which attract a few more boys.

As for the people in the nursing home, it's no only not uncommon for groups to come into nursing homes, but everyone in Merritt Island knows all about TMI and the fact that they show up at the nursing homes every summer.

I went with TMI twice in the early 90s at their height. I met DH there during a summer while in nursing school when I helped run the First Aide Station. Dehydration was the more common thing we treated. Room temp Gatorade and peeled apples all day long. Got some killer first aide skills that summer, most of it actually quite useful. However, there were a few things about the nurses' area that I was uncomfortable with. More than once I had to go toe to toe with the LPN who was running it and insist that a child had to actually be sent out to see a doctor. They also had a stash of pescription meds that staffers had brought from Canada that the LPN was dispensing without a license. Medical staffing was an embarrassment. We had a NZ RN staffer who would check on us every 2-3 days to make certain we were okay. We had an LPN from FL, a former RN who lost her license (by her own admission) for aggregious medical malpractice, an RN student and an EMT. We also had a FL licensed Paramedic who would actively confiscate the inhalers from the asthmatics before running the obstacle course despite our continued insistence that asthmatics HAD to carry their inhalers for safety reasons. Mostly, everyone was content to let the LPN run the program because she came every summer. She was an idiot. I remembered her from ten years before when she missed an ear infection and let my ear drum burst instead--which she did to a girl that summer in the week of fighting I did with her before I went to the NZ staffer and insisted the kid had to see a doctor, but her ear drum was already burst by the time the doctor saw her.

I'm not shocked, because I'd seen this before. Preying on the elderly really annoyed me. I didn't find it as scary as Jesus Camp, probably because it was teenagers as opposed to young children. Though, the militant aspects to this (like the obstacle course) were a bit...cringe worthy and disturbing.

I do want to watch the whole thing. I went to a christian summer camp as well, but, like Beadprincess, it was mostly just acitivities. There were worships, sure, but not really any serious bible study. There was presented an opportunity to make a decision for Christ, but for the most part, it was left to the private decision of the individual camper. No one was pressured into anything. I can only think of one time when this wasn't the case, but that is one summer out of 9.

As much as I hated the obstacle course, the truth is that it DOES build cohesiveness in a team. The entire purpose of the obstacle course is to make you work together to overcome obstacles. When you have to travel through airports, train stations and via boats to remote areas of the world, you need to work together to move everyone and everything. When you have to set up camp beside the Amazon River, everyone cannot be doing their own thing. Teens often want to work solo and not as a team. The purpose of the course is to get the teams working together before they travel the world and need that cohesiveness and skills. On my Brazilian trip, we used every skill of the obstacle course in traveling from primitive location to primitive location. We once got to a village's dock and had to get all of our gear up a 12 foot rung ladder to get off the river and set up camp on dry land. Never was I so grateful for that stupid obstacle course as when we all lined up and knew exactly how to send something and someone 12 feet straight up a wall to the other side.

I don't believe in the Evangelical prostelitizing anymore, but I still see merit in the work teams. Not only does it assist others in this world, but it changes the perspective of the teens permenantly.

Ugh, Tabi's encounter with the Mormon girl just pissed me off. The mom was firm but polite (I wouldn't have been so polite), and Tabi was all, "She got in my face!" Then the patronizing little "Are you OK?" - just the icing on the cake.

I do agree that the survey tactic is misleading - it reminds me of the salon guys who ask "Can I ask you a question about your hair?" just to sell their "limited time offer" that they've been pushing for years. They've even asked me that when I wore a hat that covered my hair entirely - something tells me they're not really curious.

The "preying" on/for the elderly really bothered me. Many of these nursing home patients aren't really with it. They may be coherent some of the time and out of it the rest of the time and it can be hard for someone who doesn't know them to tell. Even those who are mentally with it all of the time, are often quite sick in other ways. To take advantage of these people is sickening. My grandma at 84 is lucky enough that she's still competent enough that she can be alone during the day and that my mom can take care of her the rest of the time. For people to try to take advantage of the elderly that aren't fortunate enough to have family support is reprehensible.

Ugh, that sounds awful. Good for her for standing up for herself! I'll watch this movie later, since I have to get ready for an interview this morning, but it sounds incredibly messed up. I went to church camps as a kid, but it was about doing fun outdoor activities (winter camp was the best, we'd spend all weekend sledding), playing games, making crafts, and Bible study, not trying to "save" anyone. Then again, Lutheran's aren't known for Hellfire and brimstone tactics nor are they too hung up on the whole Evangelical idea of being "saved".
Now, we aren't. ;) I loved our church camps as a kid too. But like you said, the main focus was on fun activities, swimming, frisbee golf, crafts. Oh there was Bible study and worship services. But even those were more fun or at least interesting oriented.

This is not that camp. Thank you everyone else for watching it so I didn't have it. Your sacrifice is well noted. :)

I personally thought it was offensive when one of the leaders takes one of the orphans and says, "this kid, he has nothing...he has no this, he has no that, he was probably cold when he woke up this morning...." It just seemed... I don't know how to phrase it, but it felt like he was taking away the kid's dignity?

I like Nichole. She seemed like she really did want to turn her life around. I hope she is able to get the help she needs.

The "preying" on/for the elderly really bothered me. Many of these nursing home patients aren't really with it. They may be coherent some of the time and out of it the rest of the time and it can be hard for someone who doesn't know them to tell. Even those who are mentally with it all of the time, are often quite sick in other ways. To take advantage of these people is sickening. My grandma at 84 is lucky enough that she's still competent enough that she can be alone during the day and that my mom can take care of her the rest of the time. For people to try to take advantage of the elderly that aren't fortunate enough to have family support is reprehensible.

Agreed. Add to that the fact that many of the elderly are being confronted with their own mortality and I feel like they're being isolated as "easy targets". Who better to try to convert to a religion promising everlasting life than people who are facing the fact that they're nearing the end of their lives? It just strikes me as ungenuine.

I wonder how many of those "conversions" are people who actually already believed that Jesus died for their sins and had already been saved. My cousin and I were approached by an older gentleman pushing the same shtick at a fair in Ohio once, and despite our repeated assertions that we did, in fact, believe in Jesus, he insisted that because we were baptized Catholic that we were not "true" believers. Asshole.

"Have you ever heard about that guy Jesus?"

Nooooooooooooo, girl, nobody in Indiana has EVER heard about him! Really! You're walking the territory of the Antichrist after all, where Christians are persecuted!

Poor kids.

Btw, I see little merit in forcing teens into group activities and work camps over an perceived lack of cooperation and team work in their daily life. The teenage years are supposed to be the time individuality is formed, and this type of bootcamp looks like it is meant to suppress that, not contribute to healthy development.

"Have you ever heard about that guy Jesus?"

Nooooooooooooo, girl, nobody in Indiana has EVER heard about him! Really! You're walking the territory of the Antichrist after all, where Christians are persecuted!

Poor kids.

Btw, I see little merit in forcing teens into group activities and work camps over an perceived lack of cooperation and team work in their daily life. The teenage years are supposed to be the time individuality is formed, and this type of bootcamp looks like it is meant to suppress that, not contribute to healthy development.

It really does support the fundy concept that the teen years with all their challenges is to be bypassed and sublimated. The results are kids like lard lad, raising a family and having the emotional intelligence of a 14 yo.

So, washing the orphans' feet is a sign of humility, to show that the "rich white Americans" are no better than the orphans. BUT...they're all wearing medical gloves to protect themselves (yes, that's just sensible, but do the orphans see it that way?) AND they don't bother to change the water in the basins between kids (yes, water is a precious commodity in Africa, but diseases can be easily transmitted through dirty water - see comment on wearing gloves).

Also had to say, loved the shot in the opening when the sign reads The Lord's Botcamp. Hilarity ensues... :lol:

Of all the parts of Christianity I have trouble with, the evangelism is the worst, for me. It seems to be the source of so much that is wrong with Christians - the "manifest destiny" mentality that allowed them to torture, expel, and/or forcibly convert numerous cultures around the world, while destroying or marginalizing the indigenous beliefs and culture.

Archived