IGNORED

How long until all the fundy blogs are aflame over Obama?

Elle

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty sure he's always been the anti-christ.

oh! maybe he can be the double-anti-christ if they amend their constitutions to that effect?

ahem. sorry. having issues with my beloved NC.

Just watched it on CNN. I'll give Zsu about 2hours.. do you guys think that this statement might cost him his re-election?

It's definitely possible that this puts his re-election in jeopardy. I'm glad to hear it, but I'm wondering if it was wise to say it now.

And, frankly, he can say he supports same-sex marriage all he wants. It won't actually mean anything unless he gets re-elected and actually does something about it.

Do you all think, though, anyone who would be apt to vote for Obama would be put off by his backing gay marriage?

Just watched it on CNN. I'll give Zsu about 2hours.. do you guys think that this statement might cost him his re-election?

She's typing feverishly even as we speak. :dance:

I think it will only help him. Everybody who would disapprove of this already hates him. However, plenty on the left were disappointed on his softness of this issue. It may bolster those people to get out & vote for him again

I think he could actually be a genius by admitting his support for marriage equality. Here's why: Remember earlier this year, when Obama offered a reasonable compormise to the religious right about free birth control? And remember when they freaked the fuck out and showed their true colors and they looked like a bunch of clowns?

Not only was it all over the press, but it triggered a dialogue on that issue. Everyone was talking and blogging and tweeting and thinking about where they stood on free birth control, insurance, women's health. A lot of people were confronted with this issue and, due to the current state of affairs, had to really think about it. Many decided free birth control and adequate women's health care was a good thing.

Well we can bet that the Stinking Fishwife and Zsu Zsu will be posting about it pretty sharpish.

do you guys think that this statement might cost him his re-election?

I don't think there was anyone who planned on voting for him who is going to change their mind because of this. If he doesn't win reelection, this won't be the issue that caused it.

Honestly, no. I think the vast majority of people who care enough about hating gay marriage to base their vote on it weren't going to vote for him anyway.

Gutsy move by Obama, although I'm affraid that he just killed his chance of re-election with this.

Americans, what do you think? Will this help or hurt the Dems for next November? :?:

People that have huge issues with gay marriage were never going to vote for him to begin with, and for his supporters that don't support gay marriage, such as many in the African-American community (for instance), it's not going to be a dealbreaker. They're not going to move to the Romney column over this, I don't think.

Well we can bet that the Stinking Fishwife and Zsu Zsu will be posting about it pretty sharpish.

Don't forget Kidist from Cameraluc. We all know she hates the gay.

I don't think it will change anything, except maybe galvanize the democratic base. Let's face it...the types that hate Obama aren't going to change their minds. Ordering the execution of Osama bin Laden didn't even change their minds. I think at this point he's like "what the hell, I might as well quit skirting the issue and just say it."

I will vote on matter what, but perhaps the young folks who are less likely to get out and vote might be a bit more motivated knowing that Obama supports their gay friend's human rights. But no, this did not kill his re-election.

I believe most recent polls have shown that over 60% of democratic voters support gay marriage and 57% of independents do. He may lose a few independents and sociallly conservative democrats, but I don't think it will automatically mean a massive pickup for Romney either.

I think it was a smart move. It will gain more votes from people who were wishing he'd finally take a stance on this issue that shouldn't even be an issue, but I digress. As already said, people who hate gay marriage were never going to vote for him.

Do you all think, though, anyone who would be apt to vote for Obama would be put off by his backing gay marriage?

Absolutely. He's only saying this now because it's an election year and he needs votes. My home state is largely democrat, but we have mostly Republican leadership because everyone is so conservative. Obama is not doing himself any favors announcing this (especially in my home state which he got four years ago even though it is usually red). I didn't vote for Obama four years ago and I'm not voting for him this time (not because of this issue, though) and I hope Romney gets elected.

And as long as the base and the Romney campaign are all a-twitter about Obama and teh ebil gay marriage, they'll be focusing on that and less on Romney's strengths (whatever they're supposed to be) and not making their own case.

I don't think there was anyone who planned on voting for him who is going to change their mind because of this. If he doesn't win reelection, this won't be the issue that caused it.

Completely agree. And to be honest... I can't see any of these fundies being surprised by Obama's statement. CLEARLY he's probably supported same-sex marriage all along but now that his VP came out w/ his support and the ban happened in NC, he has to be public about it. This is most likely a political move. He can't straddle the line anymore politically.

I'm sure there will be plenty of fundies posting on FB and their blogs about their disappointment but probably not their surprise.

And as long as the base and the Romney campaign are all a-twitter about Obama and teh ebil gay marriage, they'll be focusing on that and less on Romney's strengths (whatever they're supposed to be) and not making their own case.

^This. Obama will have them in such a lather over marriage equality that they will not have time or energy to address other issues. And Romney will come across as a one-issue candidate.

I think it was a smart move. It will gain more votes from people who were wishing he'd finally take a stance on this issue that shouldn't even be an issue, but I digress. As already said, people who hate gay marriage were never going to vote for him.

He's had four years to take a stance on this issue. The odds of him addressing the gay marriage issue if he gets re-elected is next to nothing.

And, frankly, he can say he supports same-sex marriage all he wants. It won't actually mean anything unless he gets re-elected and actually does something about it.

He won't do anything about it. He stated that he "supports it" but does not support Federal intervention in regards to it.

AKA: His support won't translate into any kind of pro-LGBT legislation.

^This. Obama will have them in such a lather over marriage equality that they will not have time or energy to address other issues. And Romney will come across as a one-issue candidate.

Both sides need to focus on the most pressing issues of the country- the economy and the job market. Gay marriage is not an issue compared to the millions of Americans without jobs and the new graduates coming out of school with no prospects and a degree they can't pay off their student loans for. As a college student, this is what I and my peers are most concerned about.

Both sides need to focus on the most pressing issues of the country- the economy and the job market. Gay marriage is not an issue compared to the millions of Americans without jobs and the new graduates coming out of school with no prospects and a degree they can't pay off their student loans for. As a college student, this is what I and my peers are most concerned about.

I doubt anyone disagrees. But tell that to Romney's base.

Archived