IGNORED

How long until all the fundy blogs are aflame over Obama?

Elle

Both sides need to focus on the most pressing issues of the country- the economy and the job market. Gay marriage is not an issue compared to the millions of Americans without jobs and the new graduates coming out of school with no prospects and a degree they can't pay off their student loans for. As a college student, this is what I and my peers are most concerned about.

THIS!!!

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both sides need to focus on the most pressing issues of the country- the economy and the job market. Gay marriage is not an issue compared to the millions of Americans without jobs and the new graduates coming out of school with no prospects and a degree they can't pay off their student loans for. As a college student, this is what I and my peers are most concerned about.

What I was saying was that Romney's camp will be so busy telling everyone they hate the gays [in whatever polite way they spin it] that they will not have time to formulate ideas for those issues. And Obama, stating his opinion clearly, can move on to address those issues. Kind of like with the free birth control issue- he let the religious right foam at the mouth and look crazy, while he just did his job.

He's had four years to take a stance on this issue. The odds of him addressing the gay marriage issue if he gets re-elected is next to nothing.

This isn't the first time he's taken a stance, but it did solidify it. He did repeal Don't Ask Don't Tell. I disagree with you.

I do not agree with everything Obama's done or hasn't done during his term, but if you honestly think this country would be better off under Mitt fucking Romney... well, good luck with that.

I can't speak for you, but I'm concerned about the economy and equality, both.

^This. Obama will have them in such a lather over marriage equality that they will not have time or energy to address other issues. And Romney will come across as a one-issue candidate.

+1

Absolutely. He's only saying this now because it's an election year and he needs votes. My home state is largely democrat, but we have mostly Republican leadership because everyone is so conservative. Obama is not doing himself any favors announcing this (especially in my home state which he got four years ago even though it is usually red). I didn't vote for Obama four years ago and I'm not voting for him this time (not because of this issue, though) and I hope Romney gets elected.

Dhani, why do you believe Romney would be better for the economy? And while I agree the economy is the pressing issue, it isn't the Dems who use gay marriage as a political football, it's the GOP.

This isn't the first time he's taken a stance, but it did solidify it. He did repeal Don't Ask Don't Tell. I disagree with you.

I do not agree with everything Obama's done or hasn't done during his term, but if you honestly think this country would be better off under Mitt fucking Romney... well, good luck with that.

I can't speak for you, but I'm concerned about the economy and equality, both.

It's my personal opinion that we would be in better hands with Mitt Romney. You have every right to disagree with me and vote as you see fit. I have that same right.

This was posted from one of my very conservative cousins posted "they are trying to get people (republicans) to talk about that, while his administration is up to something els.....As usual"

Yep, that's exactly what they're doing, they're up to something else behind the Republicans' backs, lol

It's my personal opinion that we would be in better hands with Mitt Romney. You have every right to disagree with me and vote as you see fit. I have that same right.

No one is suggesting that you don't. However, this is a forum where we share our opinions and back them up, so don't get all riled if someone asks you to do that.

I think that anyone who would be put off by this endorsement was probably not going to vote for Obama anyway.

Dhani, why do you believe Romney would be better for the economy? And while I agree the economy is the pressing issue, it isn't the Dems who use gay marriage as a political football, it's the GOP.

Romney has a successful business background and was a successful governor of Massachusetts. He has shown himself to be an apt and capable leader and someone who is able to access situations and know what the best course of action is. Despite what people say about his wealth, as a member of the LDS church (as I am) he has probably experienced and seen the worst of the human condition serving in the church (he brought it up briefly when talking about being a Bishop) and will do everything he can to help the citizens of the United States.

As for the gay marriage debacle- I agree that the GOP always brings it up and they need to stop it. I wanted to smack my head against the wall when the BC was brought up a while back.

No one is suggesting that you don't. However, this is a forum where we share our opinions and back them up, so don't get all riled if someone asks you to do that.

No problem. I just responded to someone's query about why I think Mitt was better suited to running the country than Obama. I'm not riled up at all. I'm actually more pensive at the moment. My mom had surgery yesterday so I'm trying to find ways to distract myself until I go back to see her.

I have mixed feelings on Romney. While his track record in MA doesn't reflect an extreme Republican, he seems more than happy to say anything to get votes. Here is a site (with citations) that quotes Romney flip-flopping:

http://mittromneyflipflops.com/#javascript:void(0)

I think Obama has played nice for too long. The house Republicans cannot be reasoned with, and the only way anything will get done is to vote for Democratic house candidates.

Romney has a successful business background and was a successful governor of Massachusetts. He has shown himself to be an apt and capable leader and someone who is able to access situations and know what the best course of action is. Despite what people say about his wealth, as a member of the LDS church (as I am) he has probably experienced and seen the worst of the human condition serving in the church (he brought it up briefly when talking about being a Bishop) and will do everything he can to help the citizens of the United States.

As for the gay marriage debacle- I agree that the GOP always brings it up and they need to stop it. I wanted to smack my head against the wall when the BC was brought up a while back.

And shall we talk about what the priesthood does to people who display what they deem to be "the worst of human conditions?" Mormons are just another "our way or the highway" religion/cult, and I for one don't want someone with that sense of entitlement running this country.

I don't think there was anyone who planned on voting for him who is going to change their mind because of this. If he doesn't win reelection, this won't be the issue that caused it.

Apparently polling conducted last weekend found that people who are opposed to legal recognition for gay marriage ALREADY think Obama supports gay marriage. That, and Biden's calculated foot-in-mouth moment, which didn't raise a firestorm, indicates to me that the Obama people were just waiting for the right moment.

Seriously, ZsuZsu probably thinks Obama already supported gay marriage! She's probably disappointed, somehow.

ETA: Mitt Romney now says that the auto bailout was his idea, but when he was running in the Michigan primary in February, he said it was a bad idea. Like he didn't think people wouldn't go back and CHECK? I did, and I posted the results to my Facebook and Twitter, I was so annoyed. Seriously, if Obama did that, people would come unglued, but yeah, it's just Mitt the Flip at work.

What was repealing "don't-ask-don't-tell"?

This legislation pertains to gay rights. But specifically to gay marriage, unless he proposes Federal intervention, he is basically supporting the issue nominally while making no promises to actually do anything about it.

Remember, he is specifically coming forward about gay marriage. For some reason this issue has always been divorced from that of "civil rights", though some do consider this a fundamental civil rights problem.

ETA: Mitt Romney now says that the auto bailout was his idea, but when he was running in the Michigan primary in February, he said it was a bad idea. Like he didn't think people wouldn't go back and CHECK? I did, and I posted the results to my Facebook and Twitter, I was so annoyed. Seriously, if Obama did that, people would come unglued, but yeah, it's just Mitt the Flip at work.

NOT QUITE.

Romney did not support the auto bailout in full. He thought the idea of just handing them money while they maintained the same running concept would simply reproduce the same results.

He, however, support the idea of the companies filing for bankruptcy and doing a dramatic overhaul in their methods.

Big biiiiig difference.

This is why I do agree with you on one point, people should go back and check.

I actually think its a brilliant move. Even me, who is pretty much unswayable by politics and was feeling pretty "WTF" about this current election was like "hmm dammit, maybe I WILL vote for him again"

Fucking brilliant if you ask me.

And shall we talk about what the priesthood does to people who display what they deem to be "the worst of human conditions?" Mormons are just another "our way or the highway" religion/cult, and I for one don't want someone with that sense of entitlement running this country.

As a Mormon, I disagree with this. To clarify, I perceive the worst human conditions to be living in extreme poverty, unable to find work (or unable to do so because of disability), and not having adequate shelter or food. Growing up in the church, these are the people that we always served and they are the same people that Romney undoubtedly served (and continues to).

As for the "cult" thing- I politely disagree on that point as well. I went to (and graduated from) public school and I'm currently in college finishing up my bachelor's degree and headed to graduate school (at a very liberal public university). I have a boyfriend and family (and church leaders) who are supportive of my goals and doing anything possible to help me succeed. If I was in a cult religion I should have been home-schooled, dressed in skirts only, been told my only role in life is to be a wife and mother and kept dumb and ignorant until my daddy married me off to the highest bidder by the standards we hold to cults around here. There are people who subscribe to these "cult" beliefs, but they are not all Christian.

World Nut Daily is ON IT: http://www.wnd.com/2012/05/obama-offici ... g=politics

Check out the comments.

Agree with those who've pointed out that this won't affect the fundie/right wing voters; they already hate him because he's African-American. The same-sex-marriage issue will just let them be more open about hating him.

Gutsy move by Obama, although I'm affraid that he just killed his chance of re-election with this.

Americans, what do you think? Will this help or hurt the Dems for next November? :?:

Seeing how many young voters who are Christian who are turning their backs on the political right exactly because of this issue, tired of their gay friends treated like less than human, I think this will help him. It's been said already that anyone against gay marriage already isn't going to vote Democrat. So there was nothing to lose. But he can get the swing voters and younger Republicans who are tired of the gay-bashing.

Agree with those who've pointed out that this won't affect the fundie/right wing voters; they already hate him because he's African-American. The same-sex-marriage issue will just let them be more open about hating him.

This is an extremely racist comment.

Moreover, it's not even accurate. For a while, Herman Cain was stealing Perry's support from evangelical voters. Heck, even Vision Forum found him to be the more apt candidate.

And judging by the large multi-racial support pastors like Voddie Baucham seem to garner, racial prejudice is NOT the reason why many voters will not be voting or renewing their Obama votes in 2012.They don't like his policies: pure and simple.

May I also point out, that in particular state, the Proposition 8 to eliminate gay marriage was largely supported by BOTH the evangelical community and African-American voters.

I'm certain racism still exists in American on both sides, but you need to understand that if certain sex scandals (whether true of fabricated) hadn't arisen during the GOP primary, it's possible Herman Cain would leading the Republican Party and enjoying more than his share of evangelical voters.

Obama's views on gay marriage are now exactly the same as Dick Cheney's. Tell that one to the fundies and see how they like it.

Fact is Obama expressed his opinion, and those that aren't going to support him aren't supporting him for numerous reasons including his being a Muslim :roll:

The IFBs on the other forum I post on are talking about how devastating gay marriage would be to them :doh: Huh? I have yet to hear one person including Dhani say how this would impact their hetero relationship.

Ordering the execution of Osama bin Laden didn't even change their minds.

I just watched a documentary over the weekend about how the call to go after Bin laden or not was Obama's call 100. The odds of him being in that house were given at 50%. Go in and maybe get him, or go in, he's not there, and over a year of reconnaissance up in smoke instead of redirecting. It was literally entirely on his shoulders. I'd hate to play poker with him. The night before, when he knew what was happening the next day and it was all his decision alone, knowing it could go either way, he still managed to appear cool enough at the White House's correspondence dinner. My own opinion of him went up drastically.

Archived