IGNORED

National Geographic Hutterite Documentary

mrs

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ooo. Sweet. I'm looking forward to this. I went to a lecture by a professor who specialized in Amish, Mennonite and Hutterite studies. Fascinating stuff.

Thanks for the link! I may have to buy that DVD. I love documentaries and am always looking for new interesting ones to watch.

Interesting. Their accent is interesting, also. Wonder if this will make it to netflix...

I hope it ends up online, I don't have cable. I have a book written by a woman who grew up Hutterite and it's pretty interesting.

I posted that on the other thread, as I had seen a preview as well. It looks really interesting, and I'm definitely going to watch.

O do share! I need some books added to my summer reading list ;-) my library will purchase a hard and electronic copies if requested, and I don't mind purchasing a new copy.

Sorry, for the repeat posting feel free to merge / delete/ move.

• 3 weeks later...
Someone remind me a week before! Its too far out to set the DVR

It's on tonight! Looks like it will be a ten-episode series. The first episode is Harvest Party Scandal:

"NGC introduces the King Colony and their way of life. Today, unlike their ancestors, they have sophisticated farming equipment, and are constantly evolving and struggling to find balance yet preserve their treasured traditions. Harvest is the most important time of year for the Hutterite colony. The Hutterite men are disappointed that their cows are underweight and wont bring in as much income this year, but despite the setback, the colony prepares for its annual Harvest Party."

I was reading a book of American Folklore etc at our local pub last night (I love my pub) and there was an old joke in the section about the Anabaptists.

A Quaker an Amish and a Hutterite are each given 2 cows.

The Quaker immediately gives 1 to a less fortunate family.

The Hutterite gives both to the commune and is given a portion of the cows.

And the Amish man trades 1 cow for a bull.

It wasn't very funny but it made me laugh thinking about people thinking it was funny a hundred and fifty years ago.

Hopefully the documentary will end up on Netflix or something!

It's slightly off topic but if anybody is interested in a really good read about the Amish go look at Amish Grace by Donald Kraybill. It follows the school house shooting and the Amish and forgiveness. Really incredible book.

Another good one if nobody is aware - Crimson Stain. The only story of the only Amish person convicted of murder. It really shows you the craziness of what happens when sick people don't get help and have to pray it away.

/literary geek

I saw those, it looks so interesting! I have some Hutterite connections/background so it was particularly interesting to me.

I have to say though, that Hutterite colonies vary a lot, and there are 3 main groups that have different levels of strictness. So it's not representative of all of them.

As a side note, there are gazillions of Hutterite youth on Facebook, as well as some adults. Some ex-Hutterite, some sort of feeling their way around whether they want to stay, but plenty who are involved and staying in their colonies as emembers.

Is anyone else watching? I know reality tv isn't reality and all, but this feels especially fake and scripted for a National Geographic show. Hopefully it's just the awkardness of the cameras?

Watching the previews, there's some scripting going on. Especially with the uber-dramatic music during the interviews. Hope the whole thing ends up on netflix soon, I want to see it. Especially the outcome of the hog drama. Will it feed everyone? Or will there be a shameful dearth of pork????

Is anyone else watching? I know reality tv isn't reality and all, but this feels especially fake and scripted for a National Geographic show. Hopefully it's just the awkardness of the cameras?

I only caught the last 10 minutes, but It's definitely fake. At first I thought it was just awkward until the end with the text "The Elders are Coming!"

I'm getting a VERY scripted feel to it. Its the way they're speaking, almost like theyre reading when speaking to the camera alone. I'm also getting a distinct cult feel. They wear makeup, use electronics etc, the boys dress normally (but not the girls)...

My boyfriend and I watched it and set it to record each week.

The whole time we were going back and forth between real and fake, but that text at the end was just too much. I really want to see if Colton (I think that was his name?) gets to stay in school.

We thought it seemed like his and Claudia's mom really didn't care about them breaking the traditions and rules but probably just wouldn't have any idea of what to do outside the colony and didn't want to leave the place she'd had her life with her husband.

Oh! We also thought it was unconvincing that when the boys were playing basketball the kid said all the girls were his cousins then he said that they are supposed to marry in the colony and NO ONE REACTED. Blerh.

I watched last night, I sorta got the impression that Bertha (the mother) wants her kids to get out but doesn't want to be the mother who's children both got kicked out. By inviting National Geographic's cameras in, she'll piss off enough people and get her family thrown out of the collective as a family unit. Then her daughter will be free to wear her hair down and her son can go to high school and they can live happily ex-Hutterite ever after.

For a group of fundies, I was surprised there was so much swearing and drinking! I don't remember any of that in the other Hutterite documentary I saw years ago, but I think this must be a less rigid sect. Still, I was expecting them to be a little more pious. I wonder how many of them stay in the group due to family/culture and not so much because of the religion.

I love Bertha! She's quite the character. Although the show does seem rather scripted, I'm hoping it might improve in future episodes.

The whole time we were going back and forth between real and fake, but that text at the end was just too much. I really want to see if Colton (I think that was his name?) gets to stay in school.

Carver, I think. I'm glad that he's able to get an education. There doesn't seem to be a place in the community, though, for people who want to do things besides farm and ranch work. I wonder... if a Hutterite wanted to become a doctor and live in the colony (and share his earnings with the group), would he be allowed to stay?

Berthe reminds me of my very earthy grandmother. I love the accents too. Yeah, its scripted but this is my first view of the culture so I'll keep watching.

Archived