IGNORED

National Geographic Hutterite Documentary

mrs

I really want to watch this, but IDK if I can. It's set in my homestate (though it doesn't look like this one is near my hometown, based on the scenery) and I'm so homesick, that just watching the 2 or 3 minute clips makes me cry. :(

A note about the swearing and whatnot- I don't think Hutterites are quite as squeaky clean as other Plain religious groups. I remember that at a farmers marker in my hometown, they were cheating customers at one point (they had bought some veggies at the store to suppliment what they had grown.) And there was another time where I saw a group of Hutterite girls going into a Hot Topic. Pretty sure that store breaks like, 8 of the 10 commandments all at once LOL.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of the Hutterite groups actually have a reputation for drinking and bumptiousness. It may be regional?

There are also a few who are connected to the Charity group and are more conservative in that regard but more evangelical faith-wise, as well.

Is anyone else watching? I know reality tv isn't reality and all, but this feels especially fake and scripted for a National Geographic show. Hopefully it's just the awkardness of the cameras?

My fiance said the same thing, and I agree.

did anybody record this. i would REALLY like to see it. help me if anyone would.

I have it on my DVR and could probably just record the TV with my camera if you want to see it that bad. :)

yes i want to see it that bad! do your best recording it. PM link (or whatever)

thanks in advance!

I have it on my DVR and could probably just record the TV with my camera if you want to see it that bad. :)

Agreeing that it is obviously scripted. Also agreeing with all the Bertha love. When she brought up her husband, you could tell that was all her ... even if it was told for her to discuss him.

Is it just me, or did this group come across a bit more matriarchal than expected? I don't doubt that when the elders arrive, it will be men putting their foot down. Something about the way the women were talking makes it sound like they run things around there, though. I was most surprised by the openness in talking about dating.

I'm wondering if there is a higher suicide rate among Hutterites. I feel like in everything I watch about them, they mention either someone they know who has committed suicide or have thought about doing it.

i know a lot about hutterites, and without having seen the full episode, judging from the short clip this is a poor representation about the hutterites. the real deal is at hutterites.org check it out.

thats a big reason i want to see the real video.

Agreeing that it is obviously scripted. Also agreeing with all the Bertha love. When she brought up her husband, you could tell that was all her ... even if it was told for her to discuss him.

Is it just me, or did this group come across a bit more matriarchal than expected? I don't doubt that when the elders arrive, it will be men putting their foot down. Something about the way the women were talking makes it sound like they run things around there, though. I was most surprised by the openness in talking about dating.

I'm wondering if there is a higher suicide rate among Hutterites. I feel like in everything I watch about them, they mention either someone they know who has committed suicide or have thought about doing it.

i know a lot about hutterites, and without having seen the full episode, judging from the short clip this is a poor representation about the hutterites. the real deal is at hutterites.org check it out.

thats a big reason i want to see the real video.=quote]

crwoo, that looks like a promotional website for the the Hutterites, not a very balanced source. Are you saying the families in the documentary are not real Hutterites? Are you or some of your family Hutterite? If so, how does your community differ from what has been discussed here?

Ooh, this post brought me out of lurkdom. Hi, everyone!

I live in an area with one of the highest Hutterite concentations in the states (7 within 20 miles, and a very large, successful Hutterite owned company in my town) so I am really interested in seeing this one. I've just seen the previews and it does seem scripted though, imho.

Around here the Hutterites seem to differ from other fundie groups mostly due to their HUGE successes in business. And from what I've seen they are a bit more lax with the rules - IF you are a man. I used to bartend in a place where the guys would all come in to have a few drinks and leave the women sitting out in the car. My husband does a lot of business with one colony and so is invited over for lunch occasionally (I keep telling him to invite me but so far no go) and he gets creeped out by the female subservience. I think a LOT of it depends which colony you belong to. The teens here seem to have quite a bit of freedom, and while they are educated on colony it's by a regular teacher teaching the regular state approved subjects. I am really fascinated by them.

yes, that is a promotional website written by the hutterites. the familys in the documentary are real hutterites that do not live like real hutterites should.

their bad language, dating outside of the community, lack of love towards one another, their day to day decisions appearing to be not well thought out, and the total lack of mentioning anything religous throughout the short clips suggests this is nothing else than falling for national geographic's pay. sadly.

again i have not seen the full video, so its hard to comment on a lot more.

hutterites.org represents true hutterites. not all hutterites.

crwoo, that looks like a promotional website for the the Hutterites, not a very balanced source. Are you saying the families in the documentary are not real Hutterites? Are you or some of your family Hutterite? If so, how does your community differ from what has been discussed here?

yes i want to see it that bad! do your best recording it. email link (or whatever) to criswl at gmail

thanks in advance!

I tried to record it but my camera didn't pick up the sound so i'll try to find it online for you.

Don't forget, the boy that Bertha's daughter wanted to bring to the party was thrown out of another Hutterite community. The fact that one collective kicked him out but the National Geographic collective would associate with him tells me Nat Geo picked one of the more liberal Hutterite groups to "document".

(I used quotes around the word document because it does seem like textbook "assisted reality")

Don't forget, the boy that Bertha's daughter wanted to bring to the party was thrown out of another Hutterite community. The fact that one collective kicked him out but the National Geographic collective would associate with him tells me Nat Geo picked one of the more liberal Hutterite groups to "document".

(I used quotes around the word document because it does seem like textbook "assisted reality")

I thought they weren't meant to associate with the guy who was kicked out. From what I remembered, Bertha and some of the others were flipping out over Claudia(???) wanting to meet up with him. Just wanted to make sure I didn't watch the episode wrong or something!

I thought they weren't meant to associate with the guy who was kicked out. From what I remembered, Bertha and some of the others were flipping out over Claudia(???) wanting to meet up with him. Just wanted to make sure I didn't watch the episode wrong or something!

You're right. Her mom and friend (cousin?) were both saying she shouldn't associate with him. She was really nervous about being seen by others from the community when walking with him at the festival, too. Even though, this group still does come across way more liberal than I had anticipated. Bertha has a pretty fierce attitude and I hope she keeps it up throughout the rest of the episodes.

Thanks, i have searched for a download without sucess. Is there a way to get it from your dvr to computer digitally?

I tried to record it but my camera didn't pick up the sound so i'll try to find it online for you.

You're right. Her mom and friend (cousin?) were both saying she shouldn't associate with him. She was really nervous about being seen by others from the community when walking with him at the festival, too. Even though, this group still does come across way more liberal than I had anticipated. Bertha has a pretty fierce attitude and I hope she keeps it up throughout the rest of the episodes.

My bad, I didn't make my point very clear. In some groups (like the Amish or Orthodox Jews) a person cast out is shunned/considered dead. I think if the Nat Geo Hutterites were one of the stricter groups, there would have been lots of horrible things said about the boy Claudia (that is her name, thanks!) wanted to bring. Instead of maybe that's not a good idea type sentiments we saw on camera, I would've expected a reaction of "how can you bring a dead guy to the party?", "why would you bring an outsider to a Hutterite event?", "this boy turned his back on us, you should do the same".

I was just trying to illustrate National Geographic picked a group of very liberal Hutterites, I would expect the Hutterite community that expelled this boy wouldn't have simple concerns about Claudia associating with him, there would be outrage and maybe theats against her.

Thanks, i have searched for a download without sucess. Is there a way to get it from your dvr to computer digitally?

There is but I don't have a firewire to transfer from DirecTV to my laptop.

I'm a writer for hutterites.org and the TV series brought traffic to the site WAYS up. this series does not represent the hutterites well, and i would like to watch the documentary and write a small article for the official site. Thats why I need to see the episode. thanks to anyone that can help me.

Then stop encouraging people to pirate the show, find a friend with a television and then catch the rerun when it airs next week. I'm hoping that your attitude towards theft isn't typical of those associated with the Hutterites. Not to say I have anything against what you want to do, it's just that it's not wise to beg others to break the law so that you can make sure the Hutterites are seen in a positive light, you know?

I'm sure someone on the internet will post it before long, either on youtube or the 86696060 documentary viewing sites.

I found the series somewhat surprising, though definitely agree there was some major scripting going on. THE ELDERS, THEY BE COMING1111!!!111 *cue ominous music* Bertha made me laugh. She's fucking hilarious!

Archived