IGNORED

Student Tries To Defend Pastor Who Wants To Punch Kids

debrand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMPWvWaODZg

He doesn't say anything to make his pastor's words seem better

The only comment under his video is from me and I tried very hard to be polite. If you leave a comment be aware that some Baptists(not all) have a persecution complex.

edited: originally I said a lot of Baptists but that wasn't really fair so I changed ti to some.

He got a new comment:

Let me summarize your little speech here: "If God had wanted me to be accepting of gays, he would have given me the warmth and compassion to do so.
Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Would like to see the same thing said to people who protest at Planned Parenthood clinics.

Also, since he admitted here that the pastor was using the pulpit to specifically tell people how to vote, shouldn't the IRS be involved here?

If you need 30 minutes (2 part video) to explain how you're not a bigot, you're probably a bigot.

Admittedly I'm not too well versed in this, being a cultural ebil Catholic and former editor of a Jewish newspaper, but where is "effeminate" a Biblical term?

I won't snark on a kid, but I will say somebody needs to de-program him pronto!

College student = Adult

(Typically. Unless he rushed through high school or something. But he appears to be of average college age. People that age are adults, and deserve to be held fully accountable for their actions.)

Maybe his mother should have punched him when he showed the early signs of being a pompous bigot.

But I thought that was a sign of a good godly man?

The little man has spoken:

I dont state that I know or understand the bible. And yea it kinda is a biblical worldview. I attend the worlds largest Christian University and I have taken two Biblical worldview classes so I think I know what a biblical worldview is.
:roll:

In his video he said the following: "In the biblical world-view homosexuality is a sin..." I disagree. In the church of my country no one believes so anymore. A pastor was placed under formal arrest in 2003 because he had spoken about the "sin of homosexuality" in his church. It's not okay to talk about homosexuality as a sin in the church of my country. When little man talks about a biblical world-view he sure as hell doesn't include the biblical view in my country or Norway or Denmark.

College student = Adult

(Typically. Unless he rushed through high school or something. But he appears to be of average college age. People that age are adults, and deserve to be held fully accountable for their actions.)

Oops....my bad. I completely ignored the video. Completely agree he should be held accountable =.

Somebody does need to de-programme him though!

Wean him off the Kool-Aid slooowwwwlly, otherwise it might just be too much a shock to his system.

He got a new comment: Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Neither could I.

Honestly, my first thought was "how can a college student sound so stupid?" I understand that YouTube is homemade videos, but if you are going to go through the effort, at least write down what you plan to say in advance and look at the camera without moving all around.

Plan out something resembling a coherent argument. I didn't hear anything resembling one until 10 minutes into the video, when the "it was just hyperbole" argument was made.

The fact that you go to this church is not relevant to the issue. You may think the pastor is a great guy, despite the fact that he is homophobic and uses violent language when talking about children.

Why bring up your little brothers? Nobody is advocating violently targeting kids at the church. If children happen to hear the message that the church should be preaching love instead of hate, and not using language that condones child abuse, is that a bad thing?

Tossing in some words that you think are big does not constitute a rational argument. It makes you sound like a barely literate guy throwing around a few words in a lame attempt to impress.

Don't go on and on about how it's all about "opinion". No, it's about what a pastor actually said, which is an issue of fact.

The surrounding context of a pastor using his religious pulpit to make a political speech and tell people how to vote does not make him sound any better.

The actual bit of argument (at 10 min. into the video) was also weak. It amounted to "it was just hyperbole, and we knew he didn't mean it literally". Ok, let's give the benefit of the doubt for a moment and assume that's true. It still means that:

- pastor was criticizing and stigmatizing any child with non-conforming gender behavior

- pastor was suggesting that parents can and should control the gender behavior of their children

- pastor was saying that parents should "make" their young children act a certain way

- pastor was promoting the false beliefs that (1) a young child who doesn't always engage in stereotypical gender behavior is going to be homosexual, and (2) that it is possible to deal with real gender identity issues through parents forcing stereotypical behavior onto a child

- pastor was insensitive enough to the issue of child abuse that he would suggest, even as hyperbole, that punching a child would be appropriate. Many of us don't see abusing a child as something to joke about.

- pastor was completely clueless and insensitive about the real struggles faced by kids who get rejected or bullied when they don't conform to gender stereotypes

This isn't a matter of "opinion" - it's the basic, plain interpretation of what the pastor was saying, even with giving him the maximum benefit of the doubt.

[FWIW, I was a nerdy tomboy who wasn't remotely "girlish" growing up. It had nothing to do with my sexual orientation.]

Archived