IGNORED

Some fundies blog the news while the stick is still wet...

Lady Elaine

While some take a video of the results set to music...

youtube.com/watch?v=LRDDMdTzlQE&feature=youtube_gdata

:roll:

Surely this was a retest just for fun and she doesn't actually record every pregnancy test she takes.

I checked in on her website randomly a week a go to see they announced baby number 2 with a picture of the pregnancy test. That was quicker then I expected.

And the video is kind of...weird, why do people need to take a picture/video of something they peed on, can't they announce it another way to the general public?

It is really dangerous to announce a pregnancy so soon. Miscarriages are pretty common and I think 1/3 of healthy women will have one in their lifetime just because the sperm and egg had incompatible DNA. Don't most people wait until the riskiest period is over before announcing to everyone? I would think a miscarriage would be more painful if you had already made the big public announcement.

It is really dangerous to announce a pregnancy so soon. Miscarriages are pretty common and I think 1/3 of healthy women will have one in their lifetime just because the sperm and egg had incompatible DNA. Don't most people wait until the riskiest period is over before announcing to everyone? I would think a miscarriage would be more painful if you had already made the big public announcement.

we have discussed this several times before, and I think the consensus is that every woman is different. For some, they'd rather have the support that comes with other people empathizing with you and others would rather this is a private matter. There is no "rule" per se. And I'd think with fundies where life begins at conception this announcing pregnancies as soon as you have done the test is rational.

This happened to my SIL, I'm sad to day. I only know all the following because she put it all on her blog and Facebook. She and her DH were planning to conceive their second child- tracking ovulation with basal body temp, the calender, everything. So they have sex the day she ovulates, She tests for pregnancy the day her period is supposed to come [about ten days later]. It's positive. She tells everyone- work, all the family, friends, puts it on her blog & Facebook... three days after her positive test, she miscarries. She was heartbroken. And then she had to deal with everyone she knew asking her about the pregnancy. She told me she didn't know which was worse- the miscarriage or having to tell everyone she miscarried. [she did conceive six months later but didn't say anything to anyone until the second trimester].

All this early testing makes me wonder if what were once "late periods" were early miscarriages.

A lot of them probably were miscarriages. We've had that discussion in our family. One member resolved it with if I'd tell them about the miscarriage, I'll tell them about the pregnancy after maybe six or eight weeks. The rest of family and friends I'll tell around 14 weeks and the world at large can figure it out for themselves.

My mom always told me that it's best to wait to announce a pregnancy until you reach the twenty week mark. At that point, you are mostly in the clear (from her experience as a nurse).

I am not sure dangerous is the right word.

All this early testing makes me wonder if what were once "late periods" were early miscarriages.

If you're sexually active, then yes, probably.

What scientists are finding out is that very early miscarriages happen a lot--as in between 33 and 50 percent of the time. And of the fertilized eggs that are able to be examined, there's usually a very good reason for the miscarriage, like a trisomy or other genetic anomaly that is incompatible with life.

Not to defend fundies, but in a way it makes total sense they blog/video the pregnancy immediately. It's an accomplishment to them. It is a goal reached; for many, it's the only goal they have for their entire existence - have babies.

While other young women record their graduations, parties, skills, accomplishments, etc., fundie women are doing the same thing. But, they don't graduate, have parties, go sky-diving, go on spring break with friends, take a road trip with other friends. They are recording their life just like everyone else. Their lives just happen to be limited and without options.

Not to defend fundies, but in a way it makes total sense they blog/video the pregnancy immediately. It's an accomplishment to them. It is a goal reached; for many, it's the only goal they have for their entire existence - have babies.

While other young women record their graduations, parties, skills, accomplishments, etc., fundie women are doing the same thing. But, they don't graduate, have parties, go sky-diving, go on spring break with friends, take a road trip with other friends. They are recording their life just like everyone else. Their lives just happen to be limited and without options.

Not to mention, they will always rationalise miscarriages or chemical pregnancies (the super-early miscarriages that could as easily be late periods) as a 'child that has been called to God'. The ones whose blogs I've read also usually say they will meet those children in heaven.

I told my parents and (now ex) boyfriend as soon as I found out. Everyone else - sister, family friends, boyfriend's mother and sister were told between 10-12 weeks. I didn't tell any of my uni friends or tutors until I was 16 weeks along. In the UK, you have to inform your employer by the end of week 11. I was in a crummy job with no contract that would ensure me maternity leave/pay, and the daily commuting was making my morning sickness worse, plus I was in the middle of my final thesis for my postgrad, so my notification of my pregnancy was in my resignation letter.

I would have hated telling everyone that I'd miscarried. My Mum often says she can't understand how amongst women she knows they will compete over how many miscarriages they've had - and they're not even of any strong faiths, let alone fundie!

Shot in the dark, because they've already removed the video, but was this Amber from Homemaker By Choice? I'm pretty sure those two record everything, every minute, every day. Totally wouldn't be surprised that their camera made it into the bathroom - it's probably duct taped to her hand by now. Careful not to upload the video of the conception, guys! Ruben would have a tough time finding a verse justifying that ;)

Also, I always kind of feel badly for people who obviously started trying for baby number 2 when their first baby was still very young and in the easy-to-care-for-and-super-cute stage, for two reasons: one, poor mom is probably either going to have morning sickness or be heavily pregnant at about the time baby number one is turning into a getting-into-everything-and-throwing-tantrums toddler, and two - it's so easy to think you want another when your first baby is a cooing, giggling, relatively-immobile, super cute, not to mention inexpensive six-to-twelve month old.

Confession time - I did take a photo of my positive pee stick. But it was a few hours after I tested, just the "pregnant" part (because it was a digital test and the display was only going to be present for like, 24 or 48 hours, something like that), and the photo has never been posted online or anywhere else or shown to anyone, either - I took it just for my own nostalgic purposes.

As for when we told, I wanted to wait until I got the official confirmation from my regular doctor. Who I wasn't able to get in to see until almost two weeks later! We ended up telling my parents about 3 days after the home test, because there was no way I could wait any longer. Hubby's parents, our siblings, and my godmother we told the night after the doctor visit, because those were all people we'd want supporting us if anything had happened. More extended family and friends we let the news trickle out as we saw people.

Also, I always kind of feel badly for people who obviously started trying for baby number 2 when their first baby was still very young and in the easy-to-care-for-and-super-cute stage, for two reasons: one, poor mom is probably either going to have morning sickness or be heavily pregnant at about the time baby number one is turning into a getting-into-everything-and-throwing-tantrums toddler, and two - it's so easy to think you want another when your first baby is a cooing, giggling, relatively-immobile, super cute, not to mention inexpensive six-to-twelve month old.

Yes, but some people advocate smaller age gaps because "then they'll play with each other and it's so much easier when the older one looks out for the younger one!"

I have had that said to me, in all seriousness, on more than one occasion. Sorry, but I wouldn't trust a 3 year old with an 18 month old for more than the length of time of a bathroom break! My Mum used to feel super guilty leaving me with my baby sister to cook dinner, or shower in the morning, and I was 7! My ex MIL stated how she would leave her kids (19 month gap) outside in their prams to 'get some air' whilst she got on with housework etc. That was common back then, though. I don't know of any Mums who would do that now!

Oh and Nothing2CHere - I DID photograph my pee stick(s), and DID post the pics online. But I was deliberately trying to be gross for my friends that engaged in gross-out humour. The captions were like "O hai look guyz I peed on a stick 3 months ago and this happened!"

I also called my foetus 'Kebab' (Kabob for those Stateside), because it was the opposite of the fluffy nicknames other women gave their foetuses.

Taking a picture of your pee stick is actually pretty common...if you hang out on the trying to conceive forums. They're posting them ALL the time for other posters to take a look at. Can't say that I've ever done it though. My sticks were thrown in the garbage immediately after showing them to my boyfriend!

I don't understand why people announce their pregnancies so early....I've known a few friends who have done this and the pregnancy ended in miscarriage a few weeks later. I personally would want to spare myself all of the questions from others! Then again, I'm a pretty private person, so I would want to grieve alone. Hopefully I never have to. We announced at 10 weeks. We were going to wait until 13 weeks, but we had family moving half way across the country, and we wanted to tell them in person.

Yes, but some people advocate smaller age gaps because "then they'll play with each other and it's so much easier when the older one looks out for the younger one!"

My mom's rule was that the next kid was not on the way until the last one was potty trained. :lol: As a result, my siblings and I were all born three years apart. It didn't affect our closeness at all being that far apart and it spared our parents the insanity of having multiple toddlers at once. By the time I rolled around my oldest brother was in kindergarten and my second oldest brother was old enough for daycare. It made things a lot easier for my mom.

My mom's rule was that the next kid was not on the way until the last one was potty trained. :lol: As a result, my siblings and I were all born three years apart. It didn't affect our closeness at all being that far apart and it spared our parents the insanity of having multiple toddlers at once. By the time I rolled around my oldest brother was in kindergarten and my second oldest brother was old enough for daycare. It made things a lot easier for my mom.

I bet it was! There's a nearly 7 year gap between my sister and I because my Mum damaged her back badly when I was a newborn and was told after a year of traction therapy and refusing spinal surgery not to have any more children for 5 years. It suited her fine, and 5 years and 10 months later my sister was born!

My ex MIL complained that feeding her children was 'like having twins' and she had to keep a strict schedule. And she was in favour of small age gaps!

My kiddo is nearly 5 and there is no man in my life right now. So if I have any more in the future there is going to be a big gap! But I've still got another 10-15 years of fertility I reckon (going by the women in my family), so I've not got 'biological clock syndrome' and large age gaps aren't uncommon in my family - my Dad is 13 years younger than his brother, my Great Uncle has kids ranging from around 50 to 28 years old, and my Mum's cousins are about 25-30 years younger than their half-brother.

Archived