IGNORED

The Good News Club by Katherine Stewart.

Cannelle

Has this been discussed in-depth here? The Good News Club: The Christian Right's Stealth Assault on America's Children by Katherine Stewart. (Obligatory Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/The-Good-News-Clu ... 356&sr=1-1 )

Someone mentioned it here a week or two ago, and I immediately ordered it through World Cat's interlibrary loan (I live in TN, my copy came from George Mason University in DC. Fascinating!). I'm just about finished with it, and it's one of the scariest books I've ever read. The sneakiness, the backhandedness, the absolute glee with which these people break the spirit of the law, it's horrifying. I've had to stop reading it a few times because it upsets me so much.

This should be recommended reading for all FJ'ers, seriously. (Do we have a sticky book recommendation thread? I can't remember, as I'm typing this, but if not, we should. I've read some really amazing books that were recommended here, so thank you all for that!)

Here's an excerpt that really pissed me off. The author sat in on a Good News Club meeting in Washington, led by teacher Deborah Rowe. From page 140 (italics original to the book):

Rowe gestures to the child strapped to her chest. "Do you see my baby? Her name is Annika. She's only five weeks old. But guess what? The first thing she did after she was born was sin.

"Do you want to know how she sinned? Do you know what's the first thing she did after she was born?" Rowe scrunches up her face in an ugly expression. "Waah waah waah! She wanted her own way! Do you know that that's sin? She wanted her own way. We are born wanting things our own way, not God's way. And," she looks at the children for emphasis, "that's a sin."

Yup. Babies crying because they're cold/hungry/wet/etc., that's not an evolutionary adaptation to keep them alive, that's SIN. Stupid babies should just keep sweet and starve to death, because that's obviously what God wants.

I'm off to NOT eat lunch and NOT use the bathroom (because those must be sin, if they're what I want to do).

(edited to fix quotes)

Here's an excerpt that really pissed me off. The author sat in on a Good News Club meeting in Washington, led by teacher Deborah Rowe. From page 140 (italics original to the book):

Yup. Babies crying because they're cold/hungry/wet/etc., that's not an evolutionary adaptation to keep them alive, that's SIN. Stupid babies should just keep sweet and starve to death, because that's obviously what God wants.

I'm off to NOT eat lunch and NOT use the bathroom (because those must be sin, if they're what I want to do).

(edited to fix quotes)

This just made me sad to read. At least Mormon kids aren't brought up to believe that they're little original sinners.

I just ordered it on my Kindle. I need to read something non fiction for my trip (get tired of all the freebies I get) and this will fill the bill.

I just ordered it on my Kindle. I need to read something non fiction for my trip (get tired of all the freebies I get) and this will fill the bill.

Not to look gift horses in the mouth, but have you subscribed to Power Reads? It's like Pixel of Ink, but for non-fiction. There are a fair amount of self-help and cookbooks, but I've nabbed some great biographies and memoirs off of it lately. I don't enjoy fiction much, so powerreads.com has been a good find for me.

Archived