IGNORED

Fundies and Chiropractors

BelieveinScience

I saw a fundie family (a pregnant mom, dad, and a 3 or 4 year old little girl) at my chiropractor appointment yesterday.

I know most fundies are anti hospital/doctors, are chiropractors not considered real doctors in their world so its okay to see them?

I saw a fundie family (a pregnant mom, dad, and a 3 or 4 year old little girl) at my chiropractor appointment yesterday.

I know most fundies are anti hospital/doctors, are chiropractors not considered real doctors in their world so its okay to see them?

Chiropractors are less likely to suggest vaccinating your children with vaccinations made with "dead fetuses" in them (I know they don't HAVE it but that's a line i've heard from fundies)

Chiropractors are less likely to suggest vaccinating your children with vaccinations made with "dead fetuses" in them (I know they don't HAVE it but that's a line i've heard from fundies)

Would it matter to them the gender? The chiros at the practice I go to are all male.

Would it matter to them the gender? The chiros at the practice I go to are all male.

Probably. I have a non fundie friend who refuses to be seen by any male doctor.

My sister once drove a pregnant Amish woman to the chiropractor to see if he could turn her baby. The baby was supposedly breach. She said that poor woman was in some severe pain after the appointment. That's the first thing I thought of when I read this.

Some chiropractors deal in quackery, more so than the other health care professions. Most MDs appreciate and utilize their PTs, the pharmDs, dentists, nurses etc. However, chiropractors are the only legal health care providers talked about in a predominately negative light. My SO is a medical resident and says that in his specialty, they've had to correct many horrible outcomes of so-called chiropractic manipulations. He notes many of his patients come in telling him their chiropractors told them they don't need this or that medication because their back manipulations cured them or whatever. My SO is very open about alternative medicine, much more so than me. When he says chiros are mostly quacks, it's not because he has an anti-alternative medicine bias. He has seen this type of malpractice first hand....he just doesn't hear patients tell him the local psychologist or optometrist sprouting the same BS.

That said, my parents have a family friend who is a chiro who is an upstanding guy. I've known people whose backs were helped by chiros. I think the profession may be plagued with quacks, probably due to poor policing, but I think there are good ones out there too that don't make ridiculous claims.

As for why fundies may be attracted to them, it's perhaps because the unscrupulous chiros' claims mesh with fundie beliefs. Things like don't vaccinate, hospital birth is evil, depression can be fixed with back manipulations etc. It's the same reason fundies are attracted to a host of medical quackery.....they have ignorance of medicine and prefer alternative health care when possible.

Some chiropractors deal in quackery, more so than the other health care professions. Most MDs appreciate and utilize their PTs, the pharmDs, dentists, nurses etc. However, chiropractors are the only legal health care providers talked about in a predominately negative light. My SO is a medical resident and says that in his specialty, they've had to correct many horrible outcomes of so-called chiropractic manipulations. He notes many of his patients come in telling him their chiropractors told them they don't need this or that medication because their back manipulations cured them or whatever. My SO is very open about alternative medicine, much more so than me. When he says chiros are mostly quacks, it's not because he has an anti-alternative medicine bias. He has seen this type of malpractice first hand....he just doesn't hear patients tell him the local psychologist or optometrist sprouting the same BS.

That said, my parents have a family friend who is a chiro who is an upstanding guy. I've known people whose backs were helped by chiros. I think the profession may be plagued with quacks, probably due to poor policing, but I think there are good ones out there too that don't make ridiculous claims.

As for why fundies may be attracted to them, it's perhaps because the unscrupulous chiros' claims mesh with fundie beliefs. Things like don't vaccinate, hospital birth is evil, depression can be fixed with back manipulations etc. It's the same reason fundies are attracted to a host of medical quackery.....they have ignorance of medicine and prefer alternative health care when possible.

I'm only seeing the chiropractor because my mother wants me to. My chiropractor knows I'm very pro doctors. My doctors don't know I'm seeing a chiropractor and a chiropractor hasn't helped any of my symptoms but I'll continue to go to make my mother happy. I don't actually believe in them and the chiropractor told my mom he could fix my hiatal hernia in a few months. A few months later I had an EGD and low and behold hernia still there! So I don't take them seriously and I think my chiropractor knows and is trying to "win" me over. When I'm having a medical issue I call one of my doctors not the chiropractor.

I just didn't think chiropractors would be alternative enough for Fundies compared to like a naturopath(sp?) or an acupuncturist.

I saw a chiropractor for about 18 months in my quest to avoid back surgery. Didn't help me one bit. I also did a lot of physical therapy and even tried acupuncture and some holistic stuff. Nothing worked. Spinal fusion is what I needed and what worked for me. I've been seven years totally pain free now and am grateful for every day that I've not been miserable.

I'm not saying that back surgery is what everyone should do. I know that many people have not experienced any success even with surgery, or who have had terrible experiences. I'm just saying I did give chiropractic the old college try and would have been absolutely thrilled had it been of any use.

I've only seen a chiropractor once. I used to sneeze and my arm would hurt. I thought it was weird and so I mentioned it to my doctor when I was at check up. She said I had a pinched nerve and referred me to a chiro. He was a nut. I went once, didn't go back. He really thought he could cure my food allergies by popping my back.

I think they go because chiros are cheaper, and they sometimes have coupons in the paper for them.

Fundies are distrustful of the medical community in general also, and chiros appeal to them as a safe alternative. Maybe they think chiros are less likely to be judgmental of their weird, no-vax lifestyle.

I'm only seeing the chiropractor because my mother wants me to. My chiropractor knows I'm very pro doctors. My doctors don't know I'm seeing a chiropractor and a chiropractor hasn't helped any of my symptoms but I'll continue to go to make my mother happy. I don't actually believe in them and the chiropractor told my mom he could fix my hiatal hernia in a few months. A few months later I had an EGD and low and behold hernia still there! So I don't take them seriously and I think my chiropractor knows and is trying to "win" me over. When I'm having a medical issue I call one of my doctors not the chiropractor.

I just didn't think chiropractors would be alternative enough for Fundies compared to like a naturopath(sp?) or an acupuncturist.

Absolutely they are. One of the first episodes of Penn and Teller's Bullshit was about chiropractors. Some claim they can cure autism. I've seen many a reference to chiropractors on fundie and fundie-lite blogs. I think we don't see them very much on the ones with tons of kids because, well, that would get expensive. But for the ones who have more money or less kids? Absolutely. I've seen people say they wanted their chiropractor to be involved with their home birth as much as their midwife, so they can adjust the newborn baby. Seriously.

I used to work for a chiropractor and it was during the time a case was being tried because a woman had had a stroke after a neck manipulation - I think something about separating an artery. The woman I worked for warned me that all chiropractors are not created equal and that while some (like her) worked more like a physical therapist (although she did manipulations), that others - especially from colleges in the States like Life - were likely to tell you they could cure cancer or asthma etc. or use quack machines to diagnose "misalignments". She was able to get the knot out of my back and gave me some really helpful orthotics, but I saw no magic in it - probably as helpful to me as a good massage and I always thought the snap crackle popping felt good for the same reason cracking my knuckles felt good).

I can see fundies buying into this, especially since it means avoiding a medical doctor.

Absolutely they are. One of the first episodes of Penn and Teller's Bullshit was about chiropractors. Some claim they can cure autism. I've seen many a reference to chiropractors on fundie and fundie-lite blogs. I think we don't see them very much on the ones with tons of kids because, well, that would get expensive. But for the ones who have more money or less kids? Absolutely. I've seen people say they wanted their chiropractor to be involved with their home birth as much as their midwife, so they can adjust the newborn baby. Seriously.

I wonder why people like Zsusanna wouldn't use them for just their one sick kid (the kid she has with asthma) since there are chiropractors who believe they can fix that stuff.

I was told to take my week old son to one to fix issues from his traumatic birth.

IDK. I saw one as a teen and it helped. I know women who've tried turning the baby from the outside done by OBs too.

I know someone however hurt her knee and leg in a fall. She's been going for months and months nearly a year now. He just took more Xrays and decided she needs a few more months of treatments. I suggested to have her leg and Xrays checked out by another doctor to see what they think. Wouldn't it be easy for this guy to simply lie and say he's 'healing' her with adjustments and really not be doing anything.

I'm distrustful. Yep.

I was told to take my week old son to one to fix issues from his traumatic birth.

IDK. I saw one as a teen and it helped. I know women who've tried turning the baby from the outside done by OBs too.

I know someone however hurt her knee and leg in a fall. She's been going for months and months nearly a year now. He just took more Xrays and decided she needs a few more months of treatments. I suggested to have her leg and Xrays checked out by another doctor to see what they think. Wouldn't it be easy for this guy to simply lie and say he's 'healing' her with adjustments and really not be doing anything.

I'm distrustful. Yep.

That's why I'm glad I had my EGD done so my chiropractor wouldnt be all like "I healed the hernia!!!!" when in reality he really didn't.

My chiropractor did also mess up my back and I got really mad at him on the phone and I told him I wanted to see the other chiropractor in the practice and he got offended.

Chiropractors are like other people, there are alot of quacks out there.

I use one alot. He is amazing. He does not think he can cure anything with only chiropractic. He will adjust me and tell me if i dont feel better to come back and he has adjusted me a second time for free.

Dont trust any that tell you that you need to see them for so many months. It should be on a day by day basis. If they are telling you that it will be months.. you are a paycheck to them and they will try to get you back just for the check.

Here's what happens at a chiropractor's office -

1. they take a brief history

2. They say you have to get an X-ray, but don't worry because it's free!

3. They tell you to come back in a few days

4. They tell you that there's nothing too serious, but it could become serious unless you get their treatment.

5. They ALWAYS tell you that your neck is straight when it's supposed to be curved.

6. They lay out your treatment plan, and also just happen to have the payment schedule all laid out right there for you

7. They then let you know it probably won't be covered by your insurance

8. Six weeks and many hundreds of dollars later, nothing's changed.

In my opinion, they're crooks.

Here's what happens at a chiropractor's office -

1. they take a brief history

2. They say you have to get an X-ray, but don't worry because it's free!

3. They tell you to come back in a few days

4. They tell you that there's nothing too serious, but it could become serious unless you get their treatment.

5. They ALWAYS tell you that your neck is straight when it's supposed to be curved.

6. They lay out your treatment plan, and also just happen to have the payment schedule all laid out right there for you

7. They then let you know it probably won't be covered by your insurance

8. Six weeks and many hundreds of dollars later, nothing's changed.

In my opinion, they're crooks.

The things I bolded are the only things my Chiropractor did. They gave me a treatment the same day in fact. I think though that after hearing what everyone else is saying about them and their experiences I'm going to stop going so I don't actually get screwed up worse than I already am. The only people who I've heard talking about how good they are happen to be very "crunchy."

I saw a chiropractor after a bad car accident. I went to the one I was referred to by my doctor. The chiro was very professional, did not think he could cure my asthma or anything, just adjusted my neck and upper vertebrae gradually to where they were before the accident. In all, it was about two months of treatment, and I was able to turn my head again!

He did try to convert me to his religion (LDS), over-shared about his personal life, and tried to sell me expensive organic supplements. But these were mere annoyances considering that he did his job in a relatively fast and cost-effective manner. My main issue was that I had a lot of inflammation from the impact, which pushed my neck bones slightly over to the side, which caused more inflammation, and so on. There are some things that chiropractors are meant to deal with and that, apparently, is one of them.

I saw a chiropractor after a bad car accident. I went to the one I was referred to by my doctor. The chiro was very professional, did not think he could cure my asthma or anything, just adjusted my neck and upper vertebrae gradually to where they were before the accident. In all, it was about two months of treatment, and I was able to turn my head again!

He did try to convert me to his religion (LDS), over-shared about his personal life, and tried to sell me expensive organic supplements. But these were mere annoyances considering that he did his job in a relatively fast and cost-effective manner. My main issue was that I had a lot of inflammation from the impact, which pushed my neck bones slightly over to the side, which caused more inflammation, and so on. There are some things that chiropractors are meant to deal with and that, apparently, is one of them.

See I'm not seeing my chiropractor due to a back injury, shoulder injury etc.. I'm seeing him because of acid reflux and headaches. And his whole "I can cure your hiatal hernia" when its still there and to fix that he pushes on my organs which is kind of uneasy at times is my main iffyness with the whole thing.

I would feel iffy about that as well. I am suspicious of the field as a whole. Could you see a DO maybe? They learn osteopathic manipulations in addition to normal physician stuff, so they might be able to give you the happy medium type of care you need.

My former college roommate grew up to be a chiropractor. What she now claims on her website:

She has successfully treated cases of low back pain, headaches, fatigue, female infertility, attention deficit disorder, arthritis and a variety of other conditions

Though I do believe that chiropracty has some therapeutic value, treating infertility and ADD, probably not.

Twin1 is friends with her on facebook, not surprisingly she is against vaccines, antibiotics, prescription pharmaceuticals, and MDs.

Due to my parent's med insurance at the time, I had to see a Chiropractor before I could see a back surgeon. Thankfully this was one of the few that are on the up and up. I had scoliosis that went from a very slight curve in early Sept. to 70 and 80 degree curve by early Dec. I was dying by slowly being smothered to death by my own body and if this chiro had played false with me and said he could cure it I would have died. But he said I needed this surgery that all the doctors were talking about and nothing else would save me. That is why I get so pissed when a lot of the local Chiros say they can cure scoliosis, um no they could wind up killing someone.

So I have a herrington rod in my back, full length of my spine for the rest of my life. I have been able to do almost everything that anyone else could do. I have been white water rafting, given birth vag, rock climbing, hiking, skiing, ect... except for not being able to bend at the waist but at the hips I have lived a very normal life. One thing is is that I can never be hit in the back or have my spine adjusted. I have been told by so many Chiros that if they could just adjust me I would live a pain free life. Um, no. If they do that then I risk either dying or being paralyzed from the neck down. Sorry, aint happening. I had to give up white water rafting after I was thrown from the raft onto a boulder and that was something I loved to do very much, so I'm not going to let a stranger destroy my life just to feed thier ego.

I could fill pages and pages of my expirences with bad Chiros but I think there are a handful out there who are on the up and up and should be praised.

Woooow...I'm of a completely different opinion on chiropractic than most of y'all: I've been seeing a chiropractor on and off for about four years now, and I absolutely love her. I used to suffer from amazingly painful tension headaches 3-4 times a week, and with her work on my neck and upper back, they've truly gone down 90%; I also have ribs that slip out of place fairly frequently, and she's always been able to help, and give me advice on preventing slippages in the future. She also does some physical therapy sort of stuff (that's how I originally met her, was for her to help me recover from a bad ankle injury), too. But she's also amazingly professional, doesn't try to sell me anything I don't need, and has NEVER laid out a treatment and payment plan right then. It is very much day by day what my body needs, and she certainly doesn't think she can cure my allergies with spinal adjustments, or claimed to cure things not related to the musculoskeletal system. I think that there can be quacks in any profession, but I don't get why chiropractors get such a bad rap. Maybe I've just had a really wonderful experience with mine, but I think they have their place in medicine and in treating certain conditions. Honestly, the sort of experiences everyone here has described, I've had with dermatologists!

That said, I can understand why some fundies might prefer them to doctors: less cost, more "natural," etc.

I would feel iffy about that as well. I am suspicious of the field as a whole. Could you see a DO maybe? They learn osteopathic manipulations in addition to normal physician stuff, so they might be able to give you the happy medium type of care you need.

My issue with the whole natural stuff is I know I wouldn't be alive right now if it wasn't for regular good old MDs. So I can't see myself trusting a "natural" type doctor because of that, ya know? I see a chiro because it's what my mom wants not really what I want and my mom thinks the chiropractor can treat me since my doctors can't. (I see a gynocologist, endocrinologist, GI, neurologist, ENT, etc.. right now)

I'm a very complex medical case and I just don't see a DO being specialized enough for that (just like I dont really see the chiropractor as one) to help me. I think it's a mental thing for me. Are DOs typically covered by insurance?

Archived