IGNORED

Modesty when its HOT

clibbyjo

I was at Target today and saw an Orthodox Jewish Mom and 3 girls. Mom had a wig, long sleeved shirt and ankle length skirt. The 3 girls(I guess ages 8,10 and 11) all wore below the knee skirts which looked medium weight,longsleeve or below elbow with a shorter layer over and high black knee socks.

It was 92' ,humid and sunny today. It is really hot. How can anyone be comfortable in that many clothes in the summer? I guess you really have to limit your outside time and spend all your time in the AC. I know our fundies wear layers, but at least they seem to wear thinner layers in the summer.

Yes, the trick is to wear loose clothing made of very thin fabric - think djellabas and saris. You can actually be quite comfortable in such clothes in the summer, because they shield your skin from the sun, but allow breezes to cool you off. The outfits you describe don't sound very comfortable, though.

I mostly wear pants in the summer. Not because of modesty, just because I think my thighs look awful in shorts. I don't find it that hot. You get used to it after a few minutes.

I actually wear skirts more often when it's hot; they're cooler and more comfortable than shorts for me. Knee-length or above, so not very fundie. Even when I was a fundie, we still wore cotton frumpers and short-sleeved tee-shirts/blouses and it wasn't bad. I grew up in Oregon, though, where heat isn't so much of a factor.

Right now, I'm going out to run in spandex shorts. Nike, indeed! :-)

ETsubtract the word "though" which somehow crept into Every. Sentence. Gah.

A few weeks ago here, with a forecast over 100 degrees, I ran into a fundy family headed for public transport. Mom and the daughters were all in almost-to-the-ankle denim skirts and long sleeved cotton shirts. One girl wore a t shirt with a long sleeved crew necked t underneath. Dad and the sons were in polo shirts.

I waltzed by in my equally long linen skirt and linen tank top and wondered why on earth they couldn't trade the denim for something lighter weight.

I don't think Ortho Jewish girls have to wear the long sleeves when they are young. I just had a playdate with my friends the other day and her daughters were in light dresses with short sleeves and sandals. Maybe the girls are older than they look?

If it's over 90, hell no am I wearing a wig. I'm reform, but if I were Orthodox, I'd be going with a kerchief on hot days. I wear them a lot on hot days anyway because they keep me cool.

Not that i'm an expert, but I used to work for a fairly orthodox family (kept kosher, mom wore a wig, father was a rabbi, boys didn't get their hair cut till they were three), and the little girl, who was 4 at the time didn't have to wear long sleeves or long skirts, but preferred them. She didn't feel modest enough unless she had on long sleeves and skirts.

The wig I couldn't handle.

But I wear long skirts year round, no problem. Long, light, cotton skirts are lovely in the summer, actually. Nice and breezy. :D I prefer short sleeves in summer, but if if I have poison ivy to cover up, or have to dress up more, there are nice, light, comfortable tops that have long sleeves.

And some of it is just acclimatizing. I find PA heat and humidity difficult to tolerate these days, so I don't know how we survived Florida summers with no a/c when I was a kid. But we did. My Mennonite and Brethren friends wear their polyester 3/4 sleeve dresses year round, and don't collapse. They're just used to it and it doesn't bother them the way it would bother me.

I mostly wear pants in the summer. Not because of modesty, just because I think my thighs look awful in shorts. I don't find it that hot. You get used to it after a few minutes.

Same, except I don't get used it and bitch n moan.

the wig was because she was married and a married woman shouldn't show her hair. Since I was the nanny, and wasn't expected to dress in the same manner as the rest of the observant family, the only time it was an issue was when I was trying to get the girl dressed and couldn't find modest enough clothes. Since she wasn't yet bound by the rules of Tzniut, except in her own mind, not all of her clothes were "modest," so I often had to mix and match things that didn't really mix and match so that she would feel properly modest, otherwise she would refuse to get dressed.

I've got a long denim skirt (a very light weight denim) that I love in the summer. Much cooler for me than jeans. I gotta lose some more weight before I am comfortable in shorts.

How did you know she was wearing a wig?

People in the middle east have worn layers of light fabric for eons because it helps keep you cooler than if you only wore a tank top with shorts. I am not an expert , so I maybe talking out my south end but covering up with linen and such can keep you as cool as it would if you were trying to keep warm with wearing silk or wool. Wearing a cotton sweater wouldn't be as warm as a silk or wool sweater and linen and silk are cooler than cotton. Again, I may be talking out my back end.

blergh.

I pretty much live in tank tops and shorts from May until September. Sometimes I venture into skirts, but my jeans get packed away and are not touched in the summer.

There are a few Muslim families that come to the pool where I work, and they all wear head coverings, long pants/skirts, and those modest swimsuits. My favorite is when the poor little girls are in leggings, a one-piece, and long sleeves to swim and the boys are just in trunks. Some of the little boys wear swim shirts, which makes me feel better because the kids are equally inconvenienced (for lack of a better word), but there's usually a disparity.

You do acclimate to that type of clothing. I got used to wearing long sleeves and long pants in India and the humidity there is a 100 times worse. The trick is 100 percent cotton. I feel weird wearing shorts now but I'm slowly getting used to it. I can't really wear my clothes from India all the time. I do wear my jeans when its 80s because I honestly don't feel the heat anymore like I used to. And to let you guys know I totally thought this would be on how modesty could be really attractive :o .

How did you know she was wearing a wig?

People in the middle east have worn layers of light fabric for eons because it helps keep you cooler than if you only wore a tank top with shorts. I am not an expert , so I maybe talking out my south end but covering up with linen and such can keep you as cool as it would if you were trying to keep warm with wearing silk or wool. Wearing a cotton sweater wouldn't be as warm as a silk or wool sweater and linen and silk are cooler than cotton. Again, I may be talking out my back end.

I have very thin hair and I check out hair. It was not a good wig, it was obvious. They were walking down the main corridor right in front of me so I checked them out the whole length of the store.

I wore a sundress with a cap sleeved t-shirt under it today while I painted outdoor furniture and I was pretty hot and I love hit,sunny weather. It was not as comfy as shorts to me, but I was too lazy to change.

I don't own a pair of shorts, other than workout ones. I live in jeans year round, to be honest. It's up over a hundred right now. You get used to it.

My personal favorite was when I went to summer events in garb. I'd be wearing multiple layers and a head covering and be far more comfortable than people who were half naked. It's all in the loose airy garb, sweating through the first layer, natural fibers and keeping your head covered.

I have very thin hair and I check out hair. It was not a good wig, it was obvious. They were walking down the main corridor right in front of me so I checked them out the whole length of the store.

I wore a sundress with a cap sleeved t-shirt under it today while I painted outdoor furniture and I was pretty hot and I love hit,sunny weather. It was not as comfy as shorts to me, but I was too lazy to change.

I too have very, very thin hair from PCOS, to the point you can clearly see my scalp through my hair. But as bad as it is I never would want to wear a wig in the summer months. That would be as bad as wearing a wool stocking cap in my mind. I have worn a full wig in the winter and it did keep my head nice and toasty. I think if I became so bald that I was forced to do something about it, I would shave my head and go with something like a ball cap or other head covering that other woman with no hair use, but still no wig. Save that hot mess for colder months.

O/T, have you ever tried anything to cover up your hair thinning? I can't use any of the shampoos as they burn my skin and any wigletts won't work with my round Charlie Brown head. I've been looking for falls but they seem to be only for the back of the head and not the front and crown where my hair loss is.

I was also expecting pictures of attractive people in frumpers and chinos. Dang!

But, my 2 cents--having grown up in North Dakota, it is all about being used to it. Yes, we get heat there (I've seen 110F more than once) but we get to brag mostly about the cold. I was teaching in 5 different schools, traveling during the day each day, one January when the entire month it did not climb above -30F. Yes, minus. I was used to it, though.

Every year when the temp climbs to 30 above there are girls on the campus of the university laying out in swimsuits, because it feels so warm. Really.

When I lived in France, it would often be 90+ and one day I was in a tank, sandals and skirt, guzzling water and sweating like a pig. A skinny little française was seated near me on the train, in jeans, a top, corduroy jacket, scarf, leather boots, nothing to drink, and I swear she was shivering. Yeah, I wanted to throw something at her, but I remained polite and refrained. My american friends and I just complained about the french lack of A/C. :D However, now it doesn't bother me as much to be sweaty. When we first got there, I could not stand it, but when you have no choice (and neither does anyone else), eventually you just give up and accept the sweat.

Heavy black clothing is not cooler. Period. I watch our neighborhood Muslim mom at the pool and she is sweating like a pig. So are her daughters in long sleeves and pants. The boys, wearing shorts and playing the water, look cool as cucumbers, though. If long black garments and polyester headcoverings were cooler, the Muslim moms would be putting their boys in them. Men would be wearing them. Hell, we'd all be wearing them this time of year.

Loose, airy, light colored, natural fibers are cool; bulky black things are hot. And don't even get me started on burqas. I tried one on once and they are polyester; I was sweating after a minute in an air conditioned room.

I too have very, very thin hair from PCOS, to the point you can clearly see my scalp through my hair. But as bad as it is I never would want to wear a wig in the summer months. That would be as bad as wearing a wool stocking cap in my mind. I have worn a full wig in the winter and it did keep my head nice and toasty. I think if I became so bald that I was forced to do something about it, I would shave my head and go with something like a ball cap or other head covering that other woman with no hair use, but still no wig. Save that hot mess for colder months.

O/T, have you ever tried anything to cover up your hair thinning? I can't use any of the shampoos as they burn my skin and any wigletts won't work with my round Charlie Brown head. I've been looking for falls but they seem to be only for the back of the head and not the front and crown where my hair loss is.

I wear a beret or hat almost everyday in the winter and pretty often in the summer(always if its going to rain). I also have a million headscarves and hats of every kind. I prefer the Jewish tichel tied with a big knot in the back but it doesn;t stay put. I have only tried vitamins for hair growth with no luck so far. If I get a wig, I am getting a long ass blond one! My new haircut is ear length bob with some layers so its helping keep the shiny scalp at bay if I style it just right.

Guest Anonymous

You get used to it.

i am a civil war reeanctor and I frequently go out on weekends in 90+ degree heat with 8 layers of underwear. (yes you read that right: Chemise, 3 petticoats, hoop, drawers, stockings, corset.... AND then my dress). You simply get used to it, and natural fibers ARE A MUST.

I wear a beret or hat almost everyday in the winter and pretty often in the summer(always if its going to rain). I also have a million headscarves and hats of every kind. I prefer the Jewish tichel tied with a big knot in the back but it doesn;t stay put. I have only tried vitamins for hair growth with no luck so far. If I get a wig, I am getting a long ass blond one! My new haircut is ear length bob with some layers so its helping keep the shiny scalp at bay if I style it just right.

clibbyjo, you are basically my thin hair fashion inspiration. I've read your blog. I still have not had the money to get mine cut/styled, but I plan to go with your advice months ago about the chin-length layered cut when I do.

I totally understand why you noticed the wig. It's funny how people with thin hair get obsessed with hair. I know I am. Back when I had good hair, I never even noticed. Now, I watch everyone and just hope I don't have the worst hair in the room. I've noticed that I have generally let myself go; my nicer clothes and makeup look freaking stupid with my thin hair. Right now it looks like Zsuzsu's but darker and with more split ends. I know, scary. I have become a paranoid hermit because of it and you, madam, give me hope.

I wear jeans pretty much every day all summer (not because of modesty, but because I am usually too cheap to buy something that you can only wear three months of the year) and I don't really notice. Yes, it's hot, but not so hot I can't stand it or anything.

I also always wear a tank top and then whatever shirt I'm wearing that day, every day all year round, and I've had people wonder how I can stand wearing "two layers" in the summer. I've never done anything different, and I think of the tank top as underwear, so it's like somebody asking me how I can stand wearing my underwear and my jeans. It's just what I always wear. I don't know ay different.

Archived