IGNORED

Modesty when its HOT

clibbyjo

How did you know she was wearing a wig?

People in the middle east have worn layers of light fabric for eons because it helps keep you cooler than if you only wore a tank top with shorts. I am not an expert , so I maybe talking out my south end but covering up with linen and such can keep you as cool as it would if you were trying to keep warm with wearing silk or wool. Wearing a cotton sweater wouldn't be as warm as a silk or wool sweater and linen and silk are cooler than cotton. Again, I may be talking out my back end.

People in the Society for Creative Anachronism who attend camping events in hot climates fall into two general camps: people who combine a short-sleeved Roman tunic and shin-length Norse trousers in an attempt to emulate a T-shirt and shorts, and people who wear Middle-Eastern or Crusader Kingdom garb, which they generally put on early in the morning. Lo and behold, period garb is cooler! And it looks better IMO.

People who want to dress modestly and stand out could do worse than lovely and modest period clothing. Women of my persona's place and time (14th-century Cyprus) wore what was basically a lightweight jumper over a long-sleeved, round-necked dress, with their hair up in a snood or under a pretty round hat and veil. They were, TBH, about the frumpiest dressers in the Middle Ages, and it's probably no coincidence that modesty and obvious religious observance played a part. But they were beautiful.

I was also expecting pictures of attractive people in frumpers and chinos. Dang!

But, my 2 cents--having grown up in North Dakota, it is all about being used to it. Yes, we get heat there (I've seen 110F more than once) but we get to brag mostly about the cold. I was teaching in 5 different schools, traveling during the day each day, one January when the entire month it did not climb above -30F. Yes, minus. I was used to it, though.

Every year when the temp climbs to 30 above there are girls on the campus of the university laying out in swimsuits, because it feels so warm. Really.

When I lived in France, it would often be 90+ and one day I was in a tank, sandals and skirt, guzzling water and sweating like a pig. A skinny little française was seated near me on the train, in jeans, a top, corduroy jacket, scarf, leather boots, nothing to drink, and I swear she was shivering. Yeah, I wanted to throw something at her, but I remained polite and refrained. My american friends and I just complained about the french lack of A/C. :D However, now it doesn't bother me as much to be sweaty. When we first got there, I could not stand it, but when you have no choice (and neither does anyone else), eventually you just give up and accept the sweat.

Being from Montana, I have to say this-- dang North Dakotans! Just kidding! :) (idk how ND is, but for some reason, in my part of MT we make fun of ND.Not sure why.)

But yea, I hear you on wearing bikinis in 30 degree weather. It doesn't matter if there is snow on the ground, if the sun is shining, people will be in flip flops and shorts. Gotta love living in this part of the country. :)

LPL, can you explain to me what you mean by burning your skin with the shampoo? Also, what shampoo did you use?

LPL, can you explain to me what you mean by burning your skin with the shampoo? Also, what shampoo did you use?

My skin is very sensitive to dyes and perfumes and natural plants, so when I used a type of shampoo that says it will regrow hair it burnt my skin in a very bad way. I think it was rogaine or something like it and where ever the shampoo touched my head and body it would leave burning red welts and hives. It would be so bad that you could see the welts and hives through my clothes for an hour after, so I just quit using the stuff before I could see if it worked or not. Not very fun when you think of the shampoo running down your back and even lower during a shower.

Have you ever tried lNioxin? I've never heard of anyone having a reaction to it. It does tingle, I think it probably has tea tree in it, so you may not be able to use it. My instructors in school all used it. Also, have you talk to your doctor? That may be your best bet.

You get used to it.

i am a civil war reeanctor and I frequently go out on weekends in 90+ degree heat with 8 layers of underwear. (yes you read that right: Chemise, 3 petticoats, hoop, drawers, stockings, corset.... AND then my dress). You simply get used to it, and natural fibers ARE A MUST.

Sorry to threadjack but I MUST ask this. My friend and I were talking about reenanctors the other day. I've always wanted to do it because it seems fun. Do you get paid or is it a hobby? How did you find a group to join? Is there some kind of audition required?

Have you ever tried lNioxin? I've never heard of anyone having a reaction to it. It does tingle, I think it probably has tea tree in it, so you may not be able to use it. My instructors in school all used it. Also, have you talk to your doctor? That may be your best bet.

I believe that was the one that ripped me the worst. Is that the one you have the get from the beuaty shop? If it is then.... no thanks. It burns the worst.

I believe that was the one that ripped me the worst. Is that the one you have the get from the beuaty shop? If it is then.... no thanks. It burns the worst.

You would be correct :cry: Redken also just came out with something, but I would imagine it would be more of the same.

I guess I'm lucky with my PCOS . I only got a mustache and acne flare ups.

My skin is very sensitive to dyes and perfumes and natural plants, so when I used a type of shampoo that says it will regrow hair it burnt my skin in a very bad way. I think it was rogaine or something like it and where ever the shampoo touched my head and body it would leave burning red welts and hives. It would be so bad that you could see the welts and hives through my clothes for an hour after, so I just quit using the stuff before I could see if it worked or not. Not very fun when you think of the shampoo running down your back and even lower during a shower.

This sounds like such an awful experience! I'm so sorry to hear of it!

I use Nioxin. I don't get it at the salon--Amazon discounts it--but I would point out that they have a bunch of different formulas based on hair type. It might be worth just giving that a once-over, in case the kind which burned you maybe wasn't the right type for you? nioxin.com/en-US/products/product-system-kit-page.aspx?id=83

I'll be honest--I wear a lot of scarves, especially in summer. They're lighter than a hat and they help protect my scalp from sunburn. I like lightweight silk or cotton squares for this. I tend to buy them in bulk from Dharma Trading and then dye them myself.

We should move this off topic convo over to the chatter threads. I would love to keep talking to everyone and sharing ideas but I think we derailed this thread.

Nioxin is nasty stuff. (Believe me, I tried it to help/hurry up the return of my hair after chemo). And it is quite expensive. Don't waste your money.

See a doctor.

Jumping in with a thought (which will basically illustrate how much I need to get a life) ... I've wondered about how the Sister Wives are doing in Las Vegas - how can they possibly dress in their usual layers in that heat? I guess there are modest t-shirts, but I always wondered if bare arms were a no-no (at least for the Wives) - not just collarbone/cleavage...

Guest Anonymous

Sorry to threadjack but I MUST ask this. My friend and I were talking about reenanctors the other day. I've always wanted to do it because it seems fun. Do you get paid or is it a hobby? How did you find a group to join? Is there some kind of audition required?

Depends on the group. The super hard core reenactors basically "inspect" your kit before you go out.

We don't play like that. I'm pretty good for a female civilian. Well, I'm not perfect, and I've got friends who blow me outta the water, but I've invested a lot of time and money into my kit and its starting to look really good.

Your best bet, is to start out doing a shit ton of research and making your kit as accurate from the beginning. Don't start out wanting to be a rich person because that shit gets expensive real fast- start out small, and if you save, and are patient, you'll go far- otherwise you'll end up buying inaccurate stuff in the meantime to "make do" and you'll have to replace it and be out the money.

I'd just go to an event and start talking to folks, and most groups will pretty much take anyone who is enthusiastic and has a love of history. :)

Depends on the group. The super hard core reenactors basically "inspect" your kit before you go out.

We don't play like that. I'm pretty good for a female civilian. Well, I'm not perfect, and I've got friends who blow me outta the water, but I've invested a lot of time and money into my kit and its starting to look really good.

Your best bet, is to start out doing a shit ton of research and making your kit as accurate from the beginning. Don't start out wanting to be a rich person because that shit gets expensive real fast- start out small, and if you save, and are patient, you'll go far- otherwise you'll end up buying inaccurate stuff in the meantime to "make do" and you'll have to replace it and be out the money.

I'd just go to an event and start talking to folks, and most groups will pretty much take anyone who is enthusiastic and has a love of history. :)

I have alot of friends in the SCA and they all go to Pennsic War. I have considered going a few times,but one group is the crazy "Swampies" and the other is very detailed and perfect and I need something in the middle. A friend and I made the poor woman's t- tunic and we hated how we looked, we really need to be royality. :whistle:

Jumping in with a thought (which will basically illustrate how much I need to get a life) ... I've wondered about how the Sister Wives are doing in Las Vegas - how can they possibly dress in their usual layers in that heat? I guess there are modest t-shirts, but I always wondered if bare arms were a no-no (at least for the Wives) - not just collarbone/cleavage...

All I know is that mainstream Mormons consider bare arms to be a no-no, so at the very least, they wear a t-shirt and knee-length shorts in the summer. My guess is that the Sister Wives probably have similar standards as far as modesty goes, but according to the FLDS cult, they're probably considered immodest.

I am dresses only by choice, not modesty based but because I find them way more flattering and comfortable and certainly cooler in the summer anyway. I have not worn a pair of shorts in decades since I am a pear with small waist and very hour-glass body pants simply do not look good. In the winter tights or leggings and bare legs in the summer.

I don't think I would ever get used to the heat, spend most of the summer hiding in the house with the AC cranked. I wonder why Muslim women don't have cotton garments, it always looks so hot and miserable, all wrapped up in black. Wigs are miserably hot but I guess they are used to wearing them although it seems miserable, I would wear a scarf over my head or a hat but I rarely see that among Orthodox women, sometimes I see a wig with a hat over it and I want to melt for them.

At the beach this weekend, we were near a family wearing modest bathing suits. The boys and men did not look out of place in long boardshorts and rash guards, but the women and girls were all wearing bulky bathing dresses made of black lycra that hit at mid-calf. These did not seem safe. One girl was bowled over by a wave and had to be righted by another swimmer. Her legs had become tangled in the wet fabric, preventing her from standing again on her own. She was clearly scared by the experience. After that, none of the girls did more than wade in the surf.

The thing is, there were plenty of other women on the beach who were just as covered-up as the women in this family, wearing either lightweight, breathable dresses appropriate for sitting on the shore, or bathing costumes with short skirts and long pants that did not bind the legs in the water. The modest women's swimwear worn by this family seemed poorly designed for any beach activity at all.

One girl was bowled over by a wave and had to be righted by another swimmer. Her legs had become tangled in the wet fabric, preventing her from standing again on her own. She was clearly scared by the experience. After that, none of the girls did more than wade in the surf.

I bet that's part of the process - to terrify them into meekly accepting their roles by putting them in situations wherre their dress is obviously unsuitable/dangerous (hiking in flip-flops, anyone?). Then they can loudly proclaim that "Obviously, God does not intend for you to participate in those kinds of activities. Why don't you just sit here on the beach and prepare lunch for the manly men, or build sand castles with the children?"

Ok, I'm a (more or less) observant Muslim woman who's lived in hot climates and who learned to sew my own clothes out of necessity, so I'm gonna weigh in on this:

Past a certain point of heat and humidity, there's no benefit in extra exposed skin. Many Muslim countries are hotter than that critical point for much of the year, so there's no practical harm in covering from head-to-toe when outdoors... at least, not as far as heat is concerned.

That said, black polyester is just about the worst fabric you can wear in hot weather. Its one redeeming feature is that because of the dark color and properties of polyester vs. natural fibers, you can have a much lighter-weight fabric without it being transparent. However, the reason I learned to sew is precisely because I couldn't find anything I considered suitable in any fabric other than polyester, and polyester garments are ridiculously hot in the summer.

It's not a coincidence that men in Gulf Arab countries wear long 'dresses' made from white cotton - it really is the best thing for the climate. Several others have said that loose, lightweight, natural fibers are the best bet for keeping cool, and they're right. Someone wearing a long skirt or loose-fitting pants in a lightweight fabric will probably be cooler than someone wearing denim shorts.

As far as modest swimsuits go, I've seen some that looked downright dangerous, but there are plenty of others that are perfectly safe for swimming in the ocean if you're a reasonably good swimmer. I'm not suggesting that anyone go swimming in a regular long-sleeved shirt and jeans, but if someone is such a weak swimmer that they literally couldn't, then they probably shouldn't risk going in water past chest level, no matter what they're wearing.

I imagine I'm quite defrauding when I go work in the garden in shorts and a T shirt with no bra, rolling in the mud, the girls flapping in the wind.... I do this because any bra will become inundated in sweat instantly out there and itch like crazy. Saves on washing too. The straw hat REALLY adds to the ensemble.

I can't imagine swimming in a dress, period. I've seen it at the local Y and it boggles my mind.

Ok, I'm a (more or less) observant Muslim woman who's lived in hot climates and who learned to sew my own clothes out of necessity, so I'm gonna weigh in on this:

Past a certain point of heat and humidity, there's no benefit in extra exposed skin. Many Muslim countries are hotter than that critical point for much of the year, so there's no practical harm in covering from head-to-toe when outdoors... at least, not as far as heat is concerned.

That said, black polyester is just about the worst fabric you can wear in hot weather. Its one redeeming feature is that because of the dark color and properties of polyester vs. natural fibers, you can have a much lighter-weight fabric without it being transparent. However, the reason I learned to sew is precisely because I couldn't find anything I considered suitable in any fabric other than polyester, and polyester garments are ridiculously hot in the summer.

It's not a coincidence that men in Gulf Arab countries wear long 'dresses' made from white cotton - it really is the best thing for the climate. Several others have said that loose, lightweight, natural fibers are the best bet for keeping cool, and they're right. Someone wearing a long skirt or loose-fitting pants in a lightweight fabric will probably be cooler than someone wearing denim shorts.

As far as modest swimsuits go, I've seen some that looked downright dangerous, but there are plenty of others that are perfectly safe for swimming in the ocean if you're a reasonably good swimmer. I'm not suggesting that anyone go swimming in a regular long-sleeved shirt and jeans, but if someone is such a weak swimmer that they literally couldn't, then they probably shouldn't risk going in water past chest level, no matter what they're wearing.

A voice of reason. :D

I bought something from this designer today: http://www.shonmodern.com/d-kaliyana

It's probably not on the website as it was in a thrift store, but it gives you an idea what it's like. Loose-fitting cotton long-sleeve shirt, long skirt (with a very defrauding slit up to the knee). After trying it on, I said: "I'll take it, it will keep me cool this summer, and it's very modest!" sigh... I think I spend too much time on this forum!

I do dress modestly, not for religions reasons as I am an atheist, but because I don't like my body enough to walk around in short-shorts and tank tops. In the summer, I'm almost always wearing a knee-length black skirt and some kind of cute t-shirt the fundies probably wouldn't approve of (bands, vintage cartoons, Happy Bunny...) and if said t-shirt is dark enough, I don't bother with wearing a bra

The lifegaurds at the pool at the summer camp where I work are incapable of being modest while hot. I was watching my kids on the diving boards today and saw one of the gaurds had his trunks really low-slung, showing off some washboard abs and "cut lines." Literally the first thought in my head was "pull up your trunks! you're defrauding me!" Not that I, uh, minded....rwarrrrrr!

After I put my eyes back in my head, I then came to the conclusion that I need a new hobby or a man-toy to defraud me on the reg. I think defrauding on the reg might actually be a hobby, as a matter of fact...

I bought something from this designer today: http://www.shonmodern.com/d-kaliyana

It's probably not on the website as it was in a thrift store, but it gives you an idea what it's like. Loose-fitting cotton long-sleeve shirt, long skirt (with a very defrauding slit up to the knee). After trying it on, I said: "I'll take it, it will keep me cool this summer, and it's very modest!" sigh... I think I spend too much time on this forum!

I do dress modestly, not for religions reasons as I am an atheist, but because I don't like my body enough to walk around in short-shorts and tank tops. In the summer, I'm almost always wearing a knee-length black skirt and some kind of cute t-shirt the fundies probably wouldn't approve of (bands, vintage cartoons, Happy Bunny...) and if said t-shirt is dark enough, I don't bother with wearing a bra

That is a super cute outfit on the main page, I would love that!!!

Archived