IGNORED

Invisible Children Founder Arrested for Public Masturbation

breadprincess

http://gawker.com/5894041/invisible-children-founder-and-kony-2012-star-found-masturbating-in-public

I'm posting this here as he is Evangelical/his organization supports fundie groups in Uganda. He says he wants 9 more kids with his wife, but I don't think jerking off in public is going to get her pregnant.

maybe he was just loading the gun for the assault.

I guess he's under a 5150 involuntary psychiatric hold, so may he went off the deep end?

I hope he wasn't masturbating to invisible children. ;)

$10 says he will claim he was under the influence of some ebil drug, check into rehab, and with Jebus's help make a full recovery.

I hope he wasn't masturbating to invisible children. ;)

$10 says he will claim he was under the influence of some ebil drug, check into rehab, and with Jebus's help make a full recovery.

And join Dr. Drew on celebrity re-hab!

It wouldn't surprise me if this was some kind of breakdown. I imagine his stress levels have gone up dramatically in the past couple weeks. Between he and his organization becoming internet famous and the criticism they've drawn...yep, I'm betting it was stress. I couldn't see someone recklessly getting that drunk or high when they're in the limelight and the success of their campaign depends on preserving its image as much as possible.

The dudes a fundie supporter? damn! The vid is a fraud to, it was filmed like 10 years ago.

It wouldn't surprise me if this was some kind of breakdown. I imagine his stress levels have gone up dramatically in the past couple weeks. Between he and his organization becoming internet famous and the criticism they've drawn...yep, I'm betting it was stress. I couldn't see someone recklessly getting that drunk or high when they're in the limelight and the success of their campaign depends on preserving its image as much as possible.

It could have been a total psychotic break, but it also could have been some illegal drug, like meth. We all know of people, up to and including presidential candidates, who do crazy, stupid shit while the limelight's on them, if only because they seem to be taunting their detractors to discover the depths of stupid.

That said, I hope he gets the help he needs.

This sounds like a mental breakdown - not him going wild from fame. I wouldn't be so quick to judge him. I hope he gets a full medical work up - shortly before my cousin killed himself he did crazy things like this. Apparently the tiles were peeling up off the floor to come get him. Turned out he has a partial blockage to the blood flow to his brain. Very Sad. Everyone thought he was on drugs too. So I'll save any judgment after they know.

I didn't know he was evangelical, but that figures. There is so much emphasis in that culture on "having a heart" for this or that. Actually using your head to figure out how to address the problem, not so much. Also the whole cult of personality around pastors (or politicians) who "have a heart" for this or that and the trusting sheeple who follow them.

As far as the breakdown, I am far from an expert but could he possibly be bipolar? A grandiose manic phase followed by a crash?

I also wondered about his "fundie" status and found this thread. The whole "my wife has been my best friend for 23 years, we want to have 9 more kids" definitely caught my attention. But his wife's twitter name is also "wineandjesus." They are some weird, liberal/fundie kind of folks. Have you guys seen the more recent video of his freakout? He's ranting about Satan.

I've read speculation that he's used Kony to get donations to his organization, which has a shady history. I'm not sure he's on the up-and-up.

http://advocate.com/News/Daily_News/201 ... ay_Groups/

In different articles, I keep reading that his group has ties to antigay organizations. Do any of you know if this is true?

For & Against with Jim Morrison, a news magazine on Here TV (a network that's part of Here Media, which owns The Advocate), reviewed the documentary, pointing out Invisible Children's ties to antigay organizations, such as the National Christian Foundation. The NCF describes itself as "the largest Christian grant-making foundation in the world." Truth Wins Out reports that the organization has disbursed grants to some of the most antigay groups in the country, including Focus on the Family and the Family Research Council.

Ironically, NCF, which donated $135,000 in 2009 to Invisible Children, also helps fund the Fellowship Foundation, which works in conjunction with the fundamentalist shadow organization known as “The Family.†That outfit has largely pushed Christian Ugandan lawmakers to propose a "kill the gays" bill, which would make homosexuality punishable by death.

Invisible Children's tax records also show several churches, private religious schools, and religious organizations like Legacy of a Christian Vision, and the antigay, antiabortion Malachai Foundation.

http://advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2012/03/16/KONY_2012_Director_Detained_Org_Tied_to_Antigay_Groups/

In different articles, I keep reading that his group has ties to antigay organizations. Do any of you know if this is true?

Are they saying that the Malachai foundation donated TO Invisible Children? Wow, I knew IC had major donors who also happened to donate to antigay anti-choice organizations, but I didn't know they were getting money directly from them.

This sounds like a mental breakdown - not him going wild from fame. I wouldn't be so quick to judge him. I hope he gets a full medical work up - shortly before my cousin killed himself he did crazy things like this. Apparently the tiles were peeling up off the floor to come get him. Turned out he has a partial blockage to the blood flow to his brain. Very Sad. Everyone thought he was on drugs too. So I'll save any judgment after they know.

Oh that is so sad!

The dudes a fundie supporter? damn! The vid is a fraud to, it was filmed like 10 years ago.

Can you explain? I really don't know what is going on with this video. I've seen it once and I know nothing else; didn't read the earlier FJ thread on it either.

I obviously found the situation described in the video tragic, and was glad to hear the call to action. But I thought the filmmaker personally seemed like kind of a douche.

Is Joseph Kony still a problem? (Should I be Googling this?)

If he is, I hope Jason Russell's antics don't negatively affect the movement to take him down.

Check out Visible Children, it's a site that points out the flaws with the KONY2012 movement. For instance, many believe that Kony actually died in 2006, and it's been pointed out that the Ugandan government really isn't any better than Kony to begin with.

Archived