IGNORED

Fetus Dies in Your Womb in GA? Too Bad, Carry to Term.

0KidsAndHappy

In the spirit of other "sauce for the gander" bills, I would like to see a lawmaker in Georgia sponsor a bill requiring all terminally ill patients to be grafted to a living "circulatory donor" to be chosen from among the people who favored the carry-the-corpse-to-term bill. Then, when the patient dies, the "circulatory donor" must remain tethered to the corpse for a randomly determined period of one to six weeks because if they don't they are CRUEL AND SELFISH AND HORRIBLE PEOPLE. If they become seriously ill or die themselves, too bad.

When I was having my first D&C, I had paranoid thoughts that someone would see "missed abortion" on my chart and get protesters to harass me, or make it far more difficult for women like me to get access to a D&C even though it was a clear case of medical necessity and I was already traumatized by the thought that a fetus had been decomposing in me for 7 weeks.

Under this law, what would happen to women who have their water break between 20 and 24 weeks? Would doctors be permitted to induce labor, or would the women have to die of infection?

I'd like to read the full transcript and to see the quote in context. I dont like taking snippets of things. I've followed this issue very closely (as I am in georgia) and I'm not getting a "valid journalism" vibe from this one.

Buzzard here is some coverage I just found.

ATLANTA (CBS ATLANTA) -

The Georgia House of Representatives passed House Bill 954 on Wednesday.

House Bill 954 is an anti-abortion measure that would ban abortions after 20 weeks and thereby protect the lives of unborn children at the stage of development where medical evidence indicates a fetus is capable of feeling pain.

Under HB 954, licensed medical professionals would be prohibited from performing or inducing an abortion until a determination of the probable gestational age of the fetus is completed.

An exception would apply to pregnancies that threaten the life of the mother or "the life of an unborn child."

Failure to conform to the requirements of the law would subject the physician to criminal and medical licensing sanctions.

Copyright 2012 WGCL-TV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

http://www.cbsatlanta.com/story/1704957 ... e-bill-954

How do they define a threat to the mother's life? Is it that there is a possible threat, or must a doctor wait until a woman is on the verge of death?

How would legislators in Georgia deal with:

- a woman newly diagnosed with cancer?

- a woman with unstable lupus?

- a woman whose water breaks at 20 to 24 weeks?

They want to punish the woman for miscarrying the child. They don't believe that some women can just have a miscarriage through no fault of her own so they want to punish the woman and delay her grieving process.

I think this is some of it. Men are not educated enough on maternal health and this is another reason doing away with sex ed is bad. In my health class in high school they discussed miscarriage and the most common reason was a chromosome abnormality and that happens randomly more often than not and is neither the fault of the father or mother. Even in the second and third trimester chromosome issues are the most common reason for a loss. As if a woman who loses a pregnancy she wants isn't upset enough as it is, make her feel guilty. Men not in medicine need to stay out of this debate about women's health. It does not effect or concern them and it's not their body or their life at stake. Let doctors and women deal with this. Unless you are the mother, father or doctor in question, the miscarriage does not involve you so leave it. Same for abortion.

I think this is some of it. Men are not educated enough on maternal health and this is another reason doing away with sex ed is bad. In my health class in high school they discussed miscarriage and the most common reason was a chromosome abnormality and that happens randomly more often than not and is neither the fault of the father or mother. Even in the second and third trimester chromosome issues are the most common reason for a loss. As if a woman who loses a pregnancy she wants isn't upset enough as it is, make her feel guilty. Men not in medicine need to stay out of this debate about women's health. It does not effect or concern them and it's not their body or their life at stake. Let doctors and women deal with this. Unless you are the mother, father or doctor in question, the miscarriage does not involve you so leave it. Same for abortion.

I think it is a basic ignorance of medicine and education vis a vis maternal health. Its also an issue of politicians making medical decisions for women. I don't see them making medical decisions for males.

I think it is a basic ignorance of medicine and education vis a vis maternal health. Its also an issue of politicians making medical decisions for women. I don't see them making medical decisions for males.

Definitely. It's about control. I have heard that women who want to be equal to men in society as having penis envy. I wonder if these men have some envy about the fact that women have the power and ability to bring life into the world and all they get to do is provide the spark for the fire. It almost seems like it. Make is so women can't choose what happens to their body and they can't control anything anymore. If I recall in many places, women were always life givers and goddesses were often in tune with nature and life, like Gaia and in some very ancient cultures, women were treated rather special for their ability to produce life.

An out-there theory about all this legislation to think that they hate women being ahead because they feel women have more power if they get ahead.

These misogynists may want a woman carrying a dead fetus to term but physiology (yes, ebil science) will generally lead to a miscarriage when the fetus/embryo dies. What do they propose to do? Hold the woman's leg's together? Sew the cervix shut? How is a woman who has died from complications or is in ICU intubated and ventilated supposed to push out the fetus? Oh and what about the rarest complication of all: a dead fetus that never passes and instead calcifies (a lithopedion). How can this woman fulfill her reproductive role if her body is host to a dead baby?

:angry-banghead:

Just to add my anecdata: I have a relative who had one twin die in utero. The other twin was still alive but not doing so well that it was a good idea to deliver early. She had to be monitored constantly. It was not safe to have the dead fetus inside her. It presented a risk to her life; I am not sure of the details, but she was very worried about both her own health and the living twin until the birth.

I read a book by a woman who had the same thing happen and she ended up delivering the living twin very early. That must be so hard. :(

Buzzard here is some coverage I just found.

http://www.cbsatlanta.com/story/1704957 ... e-bill-954

Right, which is why I dont understand the context of the comments. The bill has nothing to do with a D/C or anything where the fetus has no heartbeat. Thats why I want to see a transcript of what was being discussed at the time the comments were made. Considering my love for CBS (atlanta 46) and their history of shockingly irresponsible journalist I'd like to see the whole thing. Seriously, 46 is well known for ignoring relevant facts and broadcasting only things that rile people up.

Archived