IGNORED

When did the Maxwells go uber-fundy?

Daenerys

Someone on here said the Maxwells used to be much more 'normal' and 'worldly' conservative Christians. When did they go down this insane path? What prompted it? Which kids actually have memories of the normal outside world? I feel even more sorry for Anna and Mary in light of this... sheltered doesn't really cover it.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I figured it was when the older children were into their teen years, and Steve worried about losing control. I read something Teri wrote on modesty when Sarah was about 18. She mentioned how immodest some of the girls at church were and how she didn't like her husband or two older young adult sons seeing that.

So figure that was 10-12 years ago I guess.

Nathan met Melanie at that church (one of the more modest girls, no doubt) and they've been married 10 years.

So at some point in the early to mid 2000's they went from somewhat crazy to beyond nuts in their beliefs.

Oh and another poster mentioned awhile back s/he thought it started changing when Steve left his job to work at home, which makes sense.

ETA: Oh, and if you have some free time here and there, this link makes for some great reading. It is the old Mom and Dad's Corners from 1996 up until the early 2000's. If you start from the beginning and work your way up, you can see the Maxwells getting more and more nutty and isolated right before your eyes.

Not breaking the link as it is from the wayback machine.

http://web.archive.org/web/200005060221 ... efault.htm

:( It makes me feel even worse for Sarah that she knows what it's like to live in a more "normal" world and is still condemned to living under Daddy's roof at 30 years old. Steve sucks SO much.

Confirms my suspicions that Steve is a grumpy old fart who wants to go back to his 1950s childhood.

I don't think so. I believe his dad cheated on his mom and they divorced. IMHO, but I think he blames his mom. If she had been more "godly", he wouldn't have strayed. I think this is why he is so hard on Teri. He's also stated he didn't become a Christian until his Air Force days, or shortly after.

I used to own the book "Raising Sons" or whatever it was called. I no longer have it to look this up, but apparently when the older boys were at least young teens or tweens they played sports. It was during a baseball season, I believe, when Steve realized how ungodly sports were, took them out for pizza and explained why they could not play sports anymore.

There were similar epiphanies about other activities (basically anything that could possibly be called "entertainment" - he had an entire chapter devoted to the evils of "entertainment". Pretty much anything fun is in that category.).

As a member of the Titus 2 message board, I had a post deleted - someone had asked for advice on kids memorizing Bible verses and I told them about a CD I had called "Scripture Rock". That was the first I ever heard about the devilish "beat" of music leading us all down the path to hell even if it's Bible verses. Who knew?!

Sometime back I read some of the old Mom and Dad's corners that kpmom posted, I think she posted the wayback links in another thread. The Maxwells semed like ok people back in the 90's. I haven't read all of the old postings, but the Maxwells are pretty bland now. Their lives seem really isolated and sad in a lot of ways. The person I feel sorry for the most is Sarah.

Sometime back I read some of the old Mom and Dad's corners that kpmom posted, I think she posted the wayback links in another thread. The Maxwells semed like ok people back in the 90's. I haven't read all of the old postings, but the Maxwells are pretty bland now. Their lives seem really isolated and sad in a lot of ways. The person I feel sorry for the most is Sarah.

I actually feel the most sorry for Mary. She must realise by example that she will never be able to leave and get married, and will likely spend the rest of Steve's life under his thumb. At least Sarah had hope and happiness in her childhood. Mary has had none of that and the family were 'convicted' when she was so young she has probably never even had a friend to spend time with.

Have they ever posted anything about why the females aren't allowed to wear makeup, do their hair or shave? I'm not sure about the last but I'm guessing based on Mary's unfortunate monobrow.... I don't get why it would work in Steve's favour to have his wife and kids not looking attractive and done-up.

Have they ever posted anything about why the females aren't allowed to wear makeup, do their hair or shave? I'm not sure about the last but I'm guessing based on Mary's unfortunate monobrow.... I don't get why it would work in Steve's favour to have his wife and kids not looking attractive and done-up.

My guess is that Steve views stuff like that as evil vanity. Terri and the girls have very gummy smiles which could be fixed with gum contouring or possible braces for Anna. Steve would probably see that as evil.

Just read one for Steve 'saw the light' on why sports were wrong and made them stop playing them. It's like a frigging cult - oh who am I kidding, it already is.

Just read one for Steve 'saw the light' on why sports were wrong and made them stop playing them. It's like a frigging cult - oh who am I kidding, it already is.

It's a pretty rubbish one considering they don't seem to have converted anyone outside of the family...

I used to own the book "Raising Sons" or whatever it was called. I no longer have it to look this up, but apparently when the older boys were at least young teens or tweens they played sports. It was during a baseball season, I believe, when Steve realized how ungodly sports were, took them out for pizza and explained why they could not play sports anymore.

There were similar epiphanies about other activities (basically anything that could possibly be called "entertainment" - he had an entire chapter devoted to the evils of "entertainment". Pretty much anything fun is in that category.).

As a member of the Titus 2 message board, I had a post deleted - someone had asked for advice on kids memorizing Bible verses and I told them about a CD I had called "Scripture Rock". That was the first I ever heard about the devilish "beat" of music leading us all down the path to hell even if it's Bible verses. Who knew?!

Is that the classic 'raising sons to provide for single-income families'? They might be doing better than the Duggars but I would hardly call the Maxwell boys a major success story... did they ever write one about preparing daughters for marriage?

My guess is that Steve views stuff like that as evil vanity. Terri and the girls have very gummy smiles which could be fixed with gum contouring or possible braces for Anna. Steve would probably see that as evil.

Or quite possible they wouldn't want it. Gum contouring is not shaving your legs and putting on some lip gloss. It is painful.

Sometimes I think ya'll you tease me mercilessly if you saw me even if I have a live and let live attitude. I don't wear makeup every day, I suck at actually doing my hair and wear it up a lot. I have a super gummy smile and finishing up 2.5 years of braces right now. I didn't do the less obvious braces because I am cheap and did not want to pay for it.

I want the Maxwell women to feel like the choices they have are not between Steve's way and sin, I don't want to dictate what the right sort of beauty is.

Guest Anonymous

Or quite possible they wouldn't want it. Gum contouring is not shaving your legs and putting on some lip gloss. It is painful.

Sometimes I think ya'll you tease me mercilessly if you saw me even if I have a live and let live attitude. I don't wear makeup every day, I suck at actually doing my hair and wear it up a lot. I have a super gummy smile and finishing up 2.5 years of braces right now. I didn't do the less obvious braces because I am cheap and did not want to pay for it.

I want the Maxwell women to feel like the choices they have are not between Steve's way and sin, I don't want to dictate what the right sort of beauty is.

This. And I really wish people would stop picking on Mary. She is a CHILD. She actually does pluck her eyebrows and has had orthodontic procedures, judging by the photos, but she does not NEED to do anything to be the lovely young girl that she is.

I just looked up their 'about us' page. Sarah's is depressing to say the least: 'Sarah enjoys being the family photographer and writing books. It would be great if God gave her a husband and child but in the meantime she has plenty to do'. If God gave her a husband? How's that going to happen if Sarah NEVER LEAVES THE HOUSE? She's thirty, for fuck's sake. Steve is the family cult leader. I know I'm preaching to the converted but had to get it off my chest!

This. And I really wish people would stop picking on Mary. She is a CHILD. She actually does pluck her eyebrows and has had orthodontic procedures, judging by the photos, but she does not NEED to do anything to be the lovely young girl that she is.

I think some are getting Anna and Mary confused. Anna is the one with the gummy smile (like Teri!) and it looks to me that she probably did have some orthodontia at some point, but I don't remember. Mary is the one with the unibrow who is currently in braces. I saw a post once a few years ago about a photo posted of all the kids poking their heads through the joists (is that the right word?) of the house they were building (sort of an artistic shot). The commenter said something about "wow, look at all those perfect teeth smiles -- what great genes!" or something to that effect. Stevie actually wrote back something about "unfortunately, they are a product of orthodontia".

Archived