IGNORED

Fundies and their children - I want to puke!

ophelia

How can ANYONE condone hurting children? It makes my heart break. :( Just because a child has a different personality from what you want IT DOES MEANT IT'S SINFUL! :angry-jumpinganger:

I went a little overboard there but anyone who hurts children..... :evil:

I'm really hoping you meant it does not mean it's sinful! :D

Seriously though, I don't want children of my own, but I bet I would still treat them better than these people who supposedly think children are blessings.

Guest Anonymous

I would love to see these fundies take the same punishments they dish out to their kids or better yet put them in a jail cell with good 'ol Bubba for few hours!

I have a "shy" one, only she's not shy at all unless she's around new people. She just takes a long time to warm up to people. She observes situations for a while before she joins in. I don't try to discourage this at all. She's never missed out on something because of it. I don't know why people think that it's not okay for someone not to be the first one in the pool, etc.

Sometimes she just doesn't like people. She can't put her finger on it, but she's just not comfortable around them. I don't make her be around them in that case. She has some kind of pit of her stomach suspicion of someone? I listen to it.

I'm really hoping you meant it does not mean it's sinful! :D

Seriously though, I don't want children of my own, but I bet I would still treat them better than these people who supposedly think children are blessings.

Ah damn it :doh: yes I meant does not mean hahahaha. I blame the fact that I've been sick :lol:

As a one time shy kid with mild Asperger syndrome, all I have to say is;

Fuck you to Hell Voddie, damn your Nobodaddy God, damn your preachings, and damn you all the way to 9th Circle of the Inferno, the Circle of Traitors; for have committed the greatest sin of all, betrayal to the Gentle God whom you dare call your master. May you be frozen and chewed along with Judas and Brutus.

couldn't say it better!

I figure G-d gave us all unique personalities, so that's not a bad thing.

Training a child in his/her OWN way also means accommodating their particular personality.

For example

Kid #1 was extremely sensitive and extremely attached. Forcing her to sleep alone on a schedule would have been torture, and forcing a feeding schedule would have been even worse. She wasn't being defiant - she had reflux, extreme taste sensitivity and needed the reassurance of constant contact with a parent, esp. at night. Once we accepted this, we just used her desire to please and for extreme closeness to our advantage, since she would never run off on us, and a mere look was all we needed for discipline.

Kid #2 was the independent one. She'd run off without a backward glance and get into things a lot more. She wasn't being defiant - she was just extremely bright and mature. Being a baby frustrated her, and she wanted to be treated like an adult. Once we figured that out, we learned that she needed us to listen to her, to give her as much independence as possible, and to have high expectations for her because she would rise to the challenge. By the time she turned 3, she was climbing into her baby brother's crib in the morning when he woke up, playing with him and getting him to stop crying, and climbing out to get me when he needed a diaper change.

Kid #3 sometimes has so much energy that he vibrates, and he'll spin out of control when he's tired. He wasn't being defiant - he was dealing with all this energy, plus he's more affected by lack of sleep. We make sure that he eats regularly, controls the amount of sugar and know that he needs to have his blankie and get all the sleep that he needs in order to be cheerful. We also figured out that he's really competitive, so he'll shut down at school if he feels that he's behind, but is willing to work hard at home to catch up.

3 kids, 3 styles and 3 different sorts of needs.

Don't they go on the "spare the rod, spoil the child" biblical reference?

The biblical "rod" has to do with shepherds poking, prodding and guiding their sheep with that rod to go in the right direction, NOT beating the shit out of them.

These people are disgusting. They've taken a biblical concept of forceful loving guidance and changed it into "I have to hit my child until he cries" crap.

I have a "shy" one, only she's not shy at all unless she's around new people. She just takes a long time to warm up to people. She observes situations for a while before she joins in. I don't try to discourage this at all. She's never missed out on something because of it. I don't know why people think that it's not okay for someone not to be the first one in the pool, etc.

Sometimes she just doesn't like people. She can't put her finger on it, but she's just not comfortable around them. I don't make her be around them in that case. She has some kind of pit of her stomach suspicion of someone? I listen to it.

Another shy child too. I can still be a quiet person for the most part and not comfortable in large crowds, but I am not afraid to talk to people. My grandmother claimed to be very shy and "backward" (her words) as a kid, but you certainly wouldn't know it because the woman speaks her mind freely, sometimes too freely. :?

Don't they go on the "spare the rod, spoil the child" biblical reference?

Actually, that is not even in the Bible!

There is this, from Proverbs (since we are discussing Fundies, I'll go with the KJV):

Proverbs 13:24

He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.

But the quote that ends with "spoil the child" is from Hudibras, a poem by Samuel Butler mocking the inter-religious fights in his time.

It is the beginning of a passage that seems to be mostly about erotic spanking:

Love is a boy by poets stil'd;

Then spare the rod and spoil the child.

A Persian emp'ror whipp'd his grannam 845

The sea, his mother VENUS came on;

And hence some rev'rend men approve

Of rosemary in making love.

As skilful coopers hoop their tubs

With Lydian and with Phrygian dubs, 850

Why may not whipping have as good

A grace, perform'd in time and mood,

With comely movement, and by art,

Raise passion in a lady's heart?

It is an easier way to make 855

Love by, than that which many take.

Who would not rather suffer whipping,

Than swallow toasts of bits of ribbon?

Make wicked verses, treats, and faces,

And spell names over with beer-glasses 860

Be under vows to hang and die

Love's sacrifice, and all a lie?

With china-oranges and tarts

And whinning plays, lay baits for hearts?

Bribe chamber-maids with love and money, 865

To break no roguish jests upon ye?

For lilies limn'd on cheeks, and roses,

With painted perfumes, hazard noses?

Or, vent'ring to be brisk and wanton,

Do penance in a paper lanthorn? 870

All this you may compound for now,

By suffering what I offer you;

Which is no more than has been done

By Knights for Ladies long agone.

Did not the great LA MANCHA do so 875

For the INFANTA DEL TOBOSO?

Did not th' illustrious Bassa make

Himself a slave for Misse's sake?

And with bull's pizzle, for her love,

Was taw 'd as gentle as a glove? 880

Was not young FLORIO sent (to cool

His flame for BIANCAFIORE) to school,

Where pedant made his pathic bum

For her sake suffer martyrdom?

Did not a certain lady whip 885

Of late her husband's own Lordship?

And though a grandee of the House,

Claw'd him with fundamental blows

Ty'd him stark naked to a bed-post,

And firk'd his hide, as if sh' had rid post 890

And after, in the sessions-court,

Where whipping's judg'd, had honour for't?

This swear you will perform, and then

I'll set you from th' inchanted den,

And the magician's circle clear. 895

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hudibras

http://www.exclassics.com/hudibras/hbintro.htm

Archived