IGNORED

Katie Bekah (icomebytheblood) battling lymphoma

silvia

I was just checking in to see what SAHD Katie Bekah (icomebytheblood.blogspot.com), who we discussed at the old board, was up to (she references FJ in this post: icomebytheblood.blogspot.com/2011/03/jesus-is-my-rock-i-can-not-be-defeated.html). Shocked and sad to learn she is fighting lymphoma and has finished chemo and radiation treatments; she chronicles the saga of the past few months on her blog. Her writing style has evolved some -- it almost seems the adversity has made her more mature. I may not like KB's worldview, but I hope she can find strength as she confronts this challenge. My heart goes out to her and her family.

ETA the original FJ thread on Katie: http://freejinger.yuku.com/topic/6221/T ... she-s-gone

I was just checking in to see what SAHD Katie Bekah (icomebytheblood.blogspot.com), who we discussed at the old board, was up to (she references FJ in this post: icomebytheblood.blogspot.com/2011/03/jesus-is-my-rock-i-can-not-be-defeated.html). Shocked and sad to learn she is fighting lymphoma and has finished chemo and radiation treatments; she chronicles the saga of the past few months on her blog. Her writing style has evolved some -- it almost seems the adversity has made her more mature. I may not like KB's worldview, but I hope she can find strength as she confronts this challenge. My heart goes out to her and her family.

ETA the original FJ thread on Katie: http://freejinger.yuku.com/topic/6221/T ... she-s-gone

I'm sorry to hear that. How difficult.

how sad. :( i'm glad they seemed to catch it early and it didn't spread. my uncle's lymphoma was very sneaky...it was vicious and spread so fast that they didn't even know what was happening until his autopsy. lymphoma is scary!

i do find it odd, though, that she always seems to refer to her parents as "mommy" and "daddy". and i don't mean once in a while, i mean every. single. time. at least, as far as i've read. it's just a little...creepy...to me.

I wonder if the mommy/ daddy terminology may be a Southern thing -- my mom always called her Virginian dad "Daddy," even as an adult. Of course, to a non-Southern ear, it sounds kind of funny.

i may live in ohio, but i'm originally from atlanta ;) so i don't have a "non-southern ear".

I hope she does well -- what a terrifying thing.

For some reason "daddy" seems more normal to me than "mommy." Admittedly, I always called my father "daddy" (and still do even though he died in 2002) and have always had a weird relationship with my mom, who prefers to be called "mama" but I feel that's too intimate. I have met many people who call their father "daddy" even in to old age but "mommy" is very uncommon in adults referring to mother.

Yep, very lucky they caught it early. And she had it on her face! Reminds me of when I had a bump on the side of my neck as a kid and wanted the doctor to biopsy it, they didn't and it's gone now but thinking about it still freaks me out.

I hope she does well -- what a terrifying thing.

For some reason "daddy" seems more normal to me than "mommy." Admittedly, I always called my father "daddy" (and still do even though he died in 2002) and have always had a weird relationship with my mom, who prefers to be called "mama" but I feel that's too intimate. I have met many people who call their father "daddy" even in to old age but "mommy" is very uncommon in adults referring to mother.

My adult children, as well as the teens, call me Ma. When they want something, they call me mama because they know it makes me melt to the point that I take leave of my senses and give them anything they want.

... it almost seems the adversity has made her more mature...

I don't know this person, nor her blog, but I'm imagine that it has. This experience changes one forever.

(signed, a cancer survivor)

I'm an adult and still refer to my parents as "daddy" and "mama" too (though my mom and I have a fantastic relationship-it just sounds better to me than mommy). I haven't looked at this blog, but if the blogger has younger siblings, her parents might prefer that she call them mommy and daddy so that younger siblings will follow suit; I know a family who does that.... weird when one of the elder daughters is married with 3 kids of her own, but whatever.

Archived