IGNORED

what is up with toddler homeschool pics

Guest Sahmof5

Guest Anonymous

Why are all the homeschooling experts on fundy blogs seem to have children under 5 and always show them at a desk working. After 5 kids and homeschooling several years I for one know that a 3 year old reading and sitting at a desk all day is just a joke. Sure 1 or 2 could possible read but lets be honest they aren't raising the next physicist of the world, I mean they probley do not even teach science. So I seriously doubt it.

Also what is with all the marriage experts who have been married a year or 2? Show me pics of homeschooling a 12 year old with a big huge smile while doing Math or a house of middle preteens teens who actually do school and have a spotless house. Or better yet a marriage that is 10 years in the making with several kids, stress of life and still hot and wanting to be in the same room and not just to make a baby.lol Date night pics, a happy husband fixing the house, and I will buy it.

I have realized fundy blogs are like soaps, they blog when the kids are cute innocent and drop off the face of the planet until they are ready to marry. That is unless they are talking about their children like they are slaves and how they work all day. Or round them up for a group shot with the next baby. :roll:

Well, I can show you a homeschooled 12 year old who loves math because I have one.:) Today we are currently working out a cleaning schedule which involves a lot of money changing hands on my part because they are working for x-mas money.We will never have a spotless house, we just all hate to clean and we have 5 animals so its never ending.My DH and I have been married almost 20 years and he totally still thinks I am awesome.

My kids finished school, we washed clothes and went grocery shopping today,a normal, boring Monday for us. Other than the Maxwells, most people don't want to see those pictures. My daughter is walking around with a box on her head and my boys are having a "rap off" right this second. If I grabbed the camera they would stop, so I won't.

I think it has to do with the fact that they have to be stay-at-home, homeschooling moms so they want to prove they are doing it right from the start.

Most decent parents of toddler/preschool age kids read to them, sing songs, play counting games, ect. to stimulate their lil brains and help them learn. If you have to be super speshul, holier-than-thou fundie, then you call it "homeschooling", take pictures of it and congratulate yourself for being such a super mommy.

The kids in those pics aren't reading or doing work. They have been "trained" to sit quietly in a chair and not bother Mommy. They might look like they are studying because they know that's what their mom wants to see, but they're really just sitting there thinking that they need to keep still or else they will get hit. Toddlers learn more by exploring the world around them than sitting quietly at a desk and pretending to read.

Thank you! People who claim to be "homeschooling" 3 and 4 year olds bug the shit out of me. They're called PREschoolers because they're not old enough to be in school. You can teach them, but you can't "homeschool".

Young children in homeschooling families often want to be at the table with their older siblings. I ordered workbooks for my three year old because she would pitch a fit if I didn't give her "schoolwork" to do with her sister. I didn't care if she actually did it or not, but she really wanted to be included. Now, of course, she is school age, and has real schoolwork to do. Naturally, at this point, she would rather play dolls.

Of course, I do know people who school the heck out of their toddlers. I'm just pointing out that in some situations it may look like "schoolwork" but it is really just an effort to include a toddler who wants to be just like big brother, or big sister.

I teach my kids to read and to write their names at around 3-4 years, but they are not sitting at the table with a copybook or anything. And, really, they are already well-primed in letters from watching their daily Sesame Street.

OT: I saw the guy who is Elmo's voice and movements on a talk show and he is this big, macho looking black guy. Totally not what I expected!

OT: My English teacher in high school taught the voice of Elmo!

I have friends who have children around the same age as my son (1 1/2) who are planning on home schooling and they're always posting on facebook about their home schooling activities with their toddlers (one and two year olds). They do flash cards and that "Your Baby Can Read" thing, which I hate. I'm a big believer in play=learning and not forcing it. My son and I read together all the time, we sing and play with blocks. He's learning things but it's through natural exploration and not forced.

Just another way for these fundy moms to be all "look at me!" Kids at this age learn a great deal through play and by watching others, not sitting at a table with a workbook.

Archived