IGNORED

Lacy

Jessica

If I googled my name (yeah, I do that sometimes) and found out that a lot of people I didn't know were talking about me, I would freak out too-- I think anyone would. As long as he doesn't literally think that we're doing something actionable by talking about him, I see no reason he shouldn't make a reply. It's entertaining, anyway.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If I googled my name (yeah, I do that sometimes) and found out that a lot of people I didn't know were talking about me, I would freak out too-- I think anyone would. As long as he doesn't literally think that we're doing something actionable by talking about him, I see no reason he shouldn't make a reply. It's entertaining, anyway.

well, that would depend, for me personally. if said people are talking about something that i voluntarily put out there publicly on the world wide web, then i can't really get that mad or feel very violated, because it would be information i chose to share for anyone to read. if it was something that was made private and therefore shared by someone i trusted, then yes, i would feel violated and angry, and rightfully so. but so far, nothing talked about has been private.

i do agree, though, that it's entertaining when fundies reply here. :D :popcorn2:

Levi has come here not to defend his sister but to slut shame her. Your sister has a right to her own choices and her own life, Levi. Your behavior makes a very solid example of why she might have chosen to distance herself from your brand of crazy. I certainly would with a brother who thought it was okay to publically attempt to humiliate and shame me for not holding the same views as him.

Levi has come here not to defend his sister but to slut shame her. Your sister has a right to her own choices and her own life, Levi. Your behavior makes a very solid example of why she might have chosen to distance herself from your brand of crazy. I certainly would with a brother who thought it was okay to publically attempt to humiliate and shame me for not holding the same views as him.

and does lacey even know about this place? if not, the fact that he's doing it in a public forum without even telling her and giving her the chance to defend herself in the same forum is dishonourable.

well, that would depend, for me personally. if said people are talking about something that i voluntarily put out there publicly on the world wide web, then i can't really get that mad or feel very violated, because it would be information i chose to share for anyone to read. if it was something that was made private and therefore shared by someone i trusted, then yes, i would feel violated and angry, and rightfully so. but so far, nothing talked about has been private.

i do agree, though, that it's entertaining when fundies reply here. :D :popcorn2:

People share online for all sorts of reasons, and I highly doubt that many of the smaller bloggers know or expect that people they don't know are watching with morbid curiosity to discuss on their own sites. I have a public twitter account. I definitely take precautions not to share info that I wouldn't want the general public to know about, but if I found out that somewhere else on the internet people were discussing the fashion choices in my selfies or debating whether my jokes were funny my immediate gut reaction would be :pink-shock:. Of course I know that people have the right to do what they will with the material I put onto the internet, and after I settled down I would probably decide that it was no harm, no foul. But people have different understandings of the informal social boundaries that exist online. Even the Supreme Court gets tied in knots about what privacy and speech mean vis-a-vis electronic communication.

It's not that I think we're doing anything wrong-- I wouldn't be typing this if I did-- but I can't blame people for having a strong emotional reaction.

People share online for all sorts of reasons, and I highly doubt that many of the smaller bloggers know or expect that people they don't know are watching with morbid curiosity to discuss on their own sites. I have a public twitter account. I definitely take precautions not to share info that I wouldn't want the general public to know about, but if I found out that somewhere else on the internet people were discussing the fashion choices in my selfies or debating whether my jokes were funny my immediate gut reaction would be :pink-shock:. Of course I know that people have the right to do what they will with the material I put onto the internet, and after I settled down I would probably decide that it was no harm, no foul. But people have different understandings of the informal social boundaries that exist online. Even the Supreme Court gets tied in knots about what privacy and speech mean vis-a-vis electronic communication.

It's not that I think we're doing anything wrong-- I wouldn't be typing this if I did-- but I can't blame people for having a strong emotional reaction.

oh i understand, and i agree that some of them probably don't understand the workings of the interwebs. but, perhaps let this be a lesson to some: you make it public, it's fair game for everyone!

i do have a couple of blogs that are public, and i understand that anyone can comment on them and anyone can read and talk about me concerning those blogs (i even had a fundie visit my body mod blog and try to shame a fellow commenter saying that piercings and tattoos were a no-no in the bible...i promptly shut her down). my twitter and instagram is also public, but i don't post anything on there that i would be embarrassed about or that i wouldn't want talked about or discussed.

my fb, however, is private, because i sometimes may share things that are friends and family only. i rarely make "public" posts, just out of habit.

if any of the fundies we discuss here consider our discussion an invasion of privacy, i think it's time they educate themselves on how the internet works and make their settings private. it's all a learning experience, after all. :)

I think I recently posted about Lacy, just asking if anyone had any updates on her. Well well well at this update!

Levi - I am a Christian woman, though you probably wouldn't consider me so. What a nasty post to make about your sister, who seems like a sweet woman who is comfortable and happy in her faith and life. I take my faith seriously, and I cannot see how a Christian could say such horrible things about a family member who hasn't actually done anything wrong.

I think I recently posted about Lacy, just asking if anyone had any updates on her. Well well well at this update!

Levi - I am a Christian woman, though you probably wouldn't consider me so. What a nasty post to make about your sister, who seems like a sweet woman who is comfortable and happy in her faith and life. I take my faith seriously, and I cannot see how a Christian could say such horrible things about a family member who hasn't actually done anything wrong.

and also saying these things basically behind her back, since lacey may not know about fj.

what does the bible say about gossiping again? hmmm...i'd be interested in levi's twisted interpretation of those scriptures that he believes allows him to make these kinds of remarks. what a kind christian man. /sarcasm

I went to lacy.obeyingthetruth.com/twf/ and it redirected me to a page that automatically downloaded something that I can't delete. I'm having to use my husband's computer until he gets home and can take care of whatever downloaded.

Really, the fundies I'm comfortable talking about are the fundies who are trying to get attention from everyone in the world. I've come by blogs really meant for family and friends, even though anyone can see it. Those aren't the same as Lori or Zsu or Rachel blogging since their who entire purpose it get get all the attention they can.

I have a blog set to public that really is for my family, and it's not private because I have a couple elderly relatives who don't understand how to use private settings, and are at the point where trying to teach them is too confusing, and using the settings anyway either means they're out of the loop, or have to give up the little sense of independence they feel like they have. None of my posts are addressed to the world, and there's no stuff about "come see my dancing monkeys perform in a band for your religious idolizing!"

I don't see too many blogs that are like mine, but by fundies, here. I think the focus here is more on people who want to get attention than on the people who are trying to live private lives that happen to have some info on the internet. I don't read every post, so might be missing stuff though.

Wow.

There really are people who believe wearing pants and jewelry make you a sinner!?

How the hell can you be MORE modest than the mennonites, thats what I wanna know!

Actually, according to Levi it's pants and jewlry that are bad. Jewelry is just fine.

And, SamE, he is not in any way, shape or form defending his sister. He is shaming her- publically. What a tool.

I love people like Levi who will claim that salvation is by grace, yet judge everyone against the OT laws. She doesn't meet the "qualifications" for heaven because she wears pants and jewelry? I thought if righteousness came by the law then Christ died in vain (Galatians 2:21)! I didn't know you had to look a certain way to get into heaven.

Pretty sure Levi is Arminian and believes that you can lose your salvation. I think this is what he's talking about, that Lacy and their parents were saved but are no longer.

I'm no Calvinist, but uh no. Nobody gets unsaved because they start wearing trousers and jewellery.

Was it an FJ person who went uninvited to the Duggar's home and stole a diary or something like that?

I remember years ago something about a FJ member going to a bloggers home. A baby mattress was involved.

There have been other occasions. I'll dig and see what I can find.

Was it an FJ person who went uninvited to the Duggar's home and stole a diary or something like that?

I remember years ago something about a FJ member going to a bloggers home. A baby mattress was involved.

That was Emily. :D Way before my time, but iirc the person only paid for a child's mattress, because at least one of her children was sleeping on the floor under the crib and Emily wasn't able to keep the bed clean from pee accidents.

I really don't think anyone at FJ has any malice at all toward the people who blog publicly. I've only noticed concern for them, and alarm as far as their political agenda. And sometimes making fun of the ridiculous. :lol:

The diary girl was not an FJer. That was someone that was a leghumper and took advantage of the Duggars kindness. I think she showed up on the yuku board a few times to defend the Duggars and then after the diary fiasco she showed back up saying she didn't love them anymore and made it out like THEY did HER wrong when she was the one who stole the diary. In fact, until the second Duggar book, I wasn't sure it ever really happened.

The diary girl was not an FJer. That was someone that was a leghumper and took advantage of the Duggars kindness. I think she showed up on the yuku board a few times to defend the Duggars and then after the diary fiasco she showed back up saying she didn't love them anymore and made it out like THEY did HER wrong when she was the one who stole the diary. In fact, until the second Duggar book, I wasn't sure it ever really happened.

I'm dying of curiosity for details.

There was another instance of a member of FJ going to see Carrie and bringing her a baby gift. Carrie is a fundie who blogged about being pregnant with twins, no medical insurance, no doctor visits. It did not end well.

For your reading pleasure, here is the Yuku mega-thread about it:

freejinger.yuku.com/topic/664/t/Carri-is-having-twins.html#.VJmHGF4AKA

People tend to have their lines in the sand about what is appropriate in terms of real-life fundie meetings, but I agree with what Coco said about many people at FJ just being concerned about bad fundie situations. I think the person that got the mattress for Emily as well as the one who brought the gift for Carrie were just worried and wanted to help out.

Someone also posted that they were sitting outside the Maxwell's house once. Which was super creepy. 2013 I think.

The mattress was just sent to Emily's house, and Emily made a big to-do about the kids enjoying the box (but she got rid of the mattress). It was a little weird, but Emily never tried to hide her home address so it didn't strike me as terribly creepy.

Going to a stranger's home - someone you only read about on the internet or see on TV - that's way beyond normal behaviour. That's grade-A stalker stuff. I don't think most of us would ever condone that behaviour, but we can't control if weirdos join here.

That said, this thread's three years old and nobody talks about Lacy much anymore. There's nothing remotely stalkerish going on here, so I think he's being a bit drama-queeny... :/

Didn't someone send Priscilla or someone a wedding shower gift as sign it as from Free Jinger?

Here's the thing. Having been mentioned on a snark site before (not one for fundies), there is something that is a total gut punch when you see people mocking/writing about you in *writing* that IMO there is not for just words spoken. Even if you know it's not true or it's almost laughable in its wild speculation. (as was the case for me). I think it's the reason why my mother's spoken verbal rampages really don't phase me, but getting her nasty-ass vomitrocious text and email and creepy FB message stuff still does upset me and make me want to hurl (even though I prefer those in some ways because it allows me time and space to either compose something to send back or, more often, to decide to consicously ignore it which drives her crazy).

So. I 100 percent understand the shock and punch to the face that is finding out that you've been mocked in text. It doesn't really matter if it is true or not. It hurts, it's a weapon, and I think it really doesn't do anyone any favors to pretend otherwise. Sometimes it might be what you need to make a break for it, sometimes not. There is something really jolting about it. Hell, I'm mentioned on matrix Anna's blog (not in mean way, I'm just an incidental part to a story she's telling) and when I saw that my stomach did a flop even if I laughed my ass off (because the situation that she was relating *was* really fucking funny with 20+ years of distance!). So I get it. It's not not a big deal.

The truth hurts, sometimes. So does finding out what even strangers truly think of you, right or wrong, and have it preserved for all time on the internet.

Didn't someone send Priscilla or someone a wedding shower gift as sign it as from Free Jinger?

Here's the thing. Having been mentioned on a snark site before (not one for fundies), there is something that is a total gut punch when you see people mocking/writing about you in *writing* that IMO there is not for just words spoken. Even if you know it's not true or it's almost laughable in its wild speculation. (as was the case for me). I think it's the reason why my mother's spoken verbal rampages really don't phase me, but getting her nasty-ass vomitrocious text and email and creepy FB message stuff still does upset me and make me want to hurl (even though I prefer those in some ways because it allows me time and space to either compose something to send back or, more often, to decide to consicously ignore it which drives her crazy).

So. I 100 percent understand the shock and punch to the face that is finding out that you've been mocked in text. It doesn't really matter if it is true or not. It hurts, it's a weapon, and I think it really doesn't do anyone any favors to pretend otherwise. Sometimes it might be what you need to make a break for it, sometimes not. There is something really jolting about it. Hell, I'm mentioned on matrix Anna's blog (not in mean way, I'm just an incidental part to a story she's telling) and when I saw that my stomach did a flop even if I laughed my ass off (because the situation that she was relating *was* really fucking funny with 20+ years of distance!). So I get it. It's not not a big deal.

The truth hurts, sometimes. So does finding out what even strangers truly think of you, right or wrong, and have it preserved for all time on the internet.

It was Erin Bates, I think.

I get that it's a bit of a jolt to find out that you've been mocked online--hell, just being mentioned online, good or bad, is a jolt. But it's something that comes with the territory of public blogging/posting and so many people still don't understand that. My blog is the kind that doesn't really attract a lot of mockery and/or trolls, and I still thought long and hard about going live with it because I'm a fairly private person. However, it's in a category where it benefits from knowing about bit about the author, so I accept the fact that there's really not much I can do to prevent people from saying hurtful things if they so choose. Negative comments (haven't really gotten any…yet) may sting for a bit, but unless someone crosses a line, I just suck it up and move on. The last thing I'm going to do is cry persecution and claim I'm being stalked.

I think there is more of an understanding about it *now*. However, for the folks that have joined the bandwagon without the benefit of a lot of exposure to it, I don't think it's unreasonable to understand why they are shocked. I suspect this will continue to happen for awhile in fundie land, since it's not like many of them will benefit from instructions about social media and internet use (part of curriculum in my kids' elementary school, plus they benefit from having two internet-loving parents who have been part of various non-insular communities)

Already I have had conversations with my 13 year old daughter who wanted to develop her own gaming review site (which I will not allow her to do yet, for safety reasons) about how when she does eventually build a site, she needs to be prepared for rape threats, harassment, trolling, ect. My daughter, having grown up in the world more than some of the adult people we talk about here, has more of a basis to understand "the territory" she's wading into.

My point is not that we should pull punches (I don't think we should). I just think a very visceral response to critcism--especially *written* criticism--is a very human response rather than Dumb Fundie response. It's too bad that most of the time it doesn't prompt these folks to think about how their own writing may have prompted similar responses in others. And there are quite a few folks that get off on the negative attention.

Thanks, this is more or less what I was trying to say on a previous page. When you're online-- and I'm not just talking about this site-- it's so, so easy to forget that there are real people involved, and that no mater what kinds of privacy settings they use, they deserve a basic level of respect. That's obviously different from saying "there oughta be a law! everyone needs to stop commenting on the internet!" It's just something that I try (not always successfully) to keep in mind when I post stuff online.

I could be completely wrong here, but I suspect he has known about FJ and Levi's sister did something recently to make him mad and to get back at her he came here to publically tear down her and the rest of his family. There was a lot of anger in that post directed, not towards FJ, but towards his family for changing their beliefs.

Archived