IGNORED

Those Maxwells Are At It Again

kpmom

Apparently, not only do the Maxwells like to refer to their "constituents" by age ("the elderly"), they are now referring to people by their home state or country.

I wonder if the "California Family" and the "Australian Family" have names?

Latest blog entry here;

www.titus2.com/blog/index.php/2011/10/2 ... this-trip/

Is a free home cooked dinner on the first evening before the "conference" really gets started some kind of requirement that the Maxwells have? Every time some family or couple of ladies has made a home cooked meal for them the first night when they arrive.

Is a free home cooked dinner on the first evening before the "conference" really gets started some kind of requirement that the Maxwells have? Every time some family or couple of ladies has made a home cooked meal for them the first night when they arrive.

I should imagine it's not requested, but strongly hinted, you can imagine the phone call now:

Steve: Me and my family are very much looking forward to blessing you and your congregation and saving you all from worldly sin....

Host: Oh yes, we are excited too about your homeschool conference....

Steve: Yes I am sure you are Mrs Host but you should know me and my family have been travelling long hours to get here to bless you and encourage you, we are leaving lots of comforts like good meals behind Mrs Host....

Host: Well, I am sure with those love offerings and book sales there should be food a plenty....

Steve: Well Mrs Host...

Host: you can call me Jane...

Steve: Mrs Host you must understand our blessed Uriah needs a lot of care as do I, so food for my wife and children is generally a second option, they don't mind at all....but you know they may be slightly hungry....

Host: Theres a really good inexpensive restarant right by our church I can highly recommend...

Steve: The bible says several times "love and obey your husband". You can love your husband by helping out another husband in need you know

Host: I can cook you a sweet dinner if you like

Steve: as expected, Mrs Host

I should imagine it's not requested, but strongly hinted, you can imagine the phone call now:

Steve: Me and my family are very much looking forward to blessing you and your congregation and saving you all from worldly sin....

Host: Oh yes, we are excited too about your homeschool conference....

Steve: Yes I am sure you are Mrs Host but you should know me and my family have been travelling long hours to get here to bless you and encourage you, we are leaving lots of comforts like good meals behind Mrs Host....

Host: Well, I am sure with those love offerings and book sales there should be food a plenty....

Steve: Well Mrs Host...

Host: you can call me Jane...

Steve: Mrs Host you must understand our blessed Uriah needs a lot of care as do I, so food for my wife and children is generally a second option, they don't mind at all....but you know they may be slightly hungry....

Host: Theres a really good inexpensive restarant right by our church I can highly recommend...

Steve: The bible says several times "love and obey your husband". You can love your husband by helping out another husband in need you know

Host: I can cook you a sweet dinner if you like

Steve: as expected, Mrs Host

Great. I can totally see talking Steve like that. But wouldn't it be much too defrauding for him to talk to a woman on the phone?? She could suddenly say immodest and evil things and poor ol' Stevie could loose his ticket for heaven.

Is it just me or is the little girl in 'the Californian Family' wearing (GASP) jeans.
Yep. But read the post (or the comments from earlier this week maybe) - the Australian family happened to meet the Californian family earlier in the week at some other vacation stop, and told the California family about the Maxwell shindig. The California family had not previously ever even HEARD of the Maxwells, and so while already on a vacation they decided suddenly to adjust plans and stop by.

Meaning, they're fairly outside the usual Maxwellian orbit. I have to wonder just what they thought of the Maxwells after the conference, just as I wonder what ShortsDad from Orlando was thinkin'. Before: "Oh this will be a nice little homeschool talk..." After: "ZOMG what IS this I don't EVEN!!!??"

Dunno.

FWIW I used to teach a free community programming class (programming Perl) years ago (yes, a WOMAN!!! Teaching IT!!!) and while I wasn't paid, the classes were held in a communal house where the members usually made a big vat of soup or stew with bread for dinner nightly. My "wages" included getting to eat the communal dinner for free, it worked out great as I never had time to go home and make food after my day job before heading over there.

Californian Mom also is wearing jeans. The Australian family recruiting the Californian family is really strange. The Maxwells aren't a museum or an art gallery that can't be missed. Why would the Californians pick up everything and head to the conference based on the word of some strangers? They look really out of place.

Also: Those gift bags are sad. A teddy bear, a granola bar, and a couple of mints are more appropriate for a five year old, not a woman approaching thirty.

It's almost become assumed etiquette for travelling church groups. Have a visiting choir? Feed them. Have a missionary? Feed him/her (who are we kidding? him). A church who didn't do that would 'fail' the hospitality requirements laid out somewhere in one of the epistles.

Guest Anonymous
Californian Mom also is wearing jeans. The Australian family recruiting the Californian family is really strange. The Maxwells aren't a museum or an art gallery that can't be missed. Why would the Californians pick up everything and head to the conference based on the word of some strangers? They look really out of place.

Also: Those gift bags are sad. A teddy bear, a granola bar, and a couple of mints are more appropriate for a five year old, not a woman approaching thirty.

I wonder if the Californian family were the shocked ones?

I also wonder if the Australian family are anything to do with Steve's blog comment a while back that he feels the Lord may send the Maxwells to Australia soon.

The gift bags.... if they were put together by a year old, then fine. But a hama bead teddy bear for Sarah? Really?

I can kind of tell that California mom is wearing pant, but how can you guys tell what Australia mom is wearing, she's completely blocked by her kids? The man and woman in the Australia family look like mother and son, not husband and wife. Their noses are identical and she looks much older.

I can't believe they have an unpacking post complete with photos. You know your life is beyond boring and miserable when unpacking seems photo and blog post worthy.

Is a free home cooked dinner on the first evening before the "conference" really gets started some kind of requirement that the Maxwells hav

Wow can't believe I'm possibly sticking up for the Maxwells, but when I've helped plan events at Church involving a speaker there is generally a meal--esp if its in the evening. If it's an all day then there's bagels and pastries and fruit in the morning, box lunches , pizzza or similar for lunch. Evening though is usually a "real meal" with salad, main course and desert. Usually cooked by the Church food team [volunteers].

But she isn't a woman, she's a sweet young lady... :doh:

What else does the slide say? I can't make it out. Can anyone read it?

The first part is Proverbs something, I can't make out the whole thing.

The very last line says, "Fellowship more important for believers than friends."

The first part is Proverbs something, I can't make out the whole thing.

The very last line says, "Fellowship more important for believers than friends."

"He that walketh with wise men shall be wise, but a companion of fools shall be destroyed." Quite a contrast with the girls' slide, the deeply-philosophical "Christmas Cookie Basket".

Hello, I am very new here. I've been tiptoeing quietly around the pool wondering whether to take the plunge but the regulars around here are so awesome I've been a bit intimidated.

However, when I read that the Maxwells might be coming here to Australia I just had to leap in and scream,

Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Please keep them. Pretty please?

"He that walketh with wise men shall be wise, but a companion of fools shall be destroyed." Quite a contrast with the girls' slide, the deeply-philosophical "Christmas Cookie Basket".

So friends aren't "allowed" because one can't be "trusted" to know the difference between a "wise man" and "fool". Since the Maxwells take the bible so literally, women should be OK to "walketh with"! ;)

So friends aren't "allowed" because one can't be "trusted" to know the difference between a "wise man" and "fool". Since the Maxwells take the bible so literally, women should be OK to "walketh with"! ;)

I suspect they'd regard the two categories as all you need - "wise men", containing men who are wise, and "fools", containing other men and all women. Why do women need to be wise, after all? Men can supply all the wisdom necessary.

It reminds me of Jonathan Lindvall, actually - he was very big on sheltering his kids. In his beliefs, the "fools" under discussion are kids, which is why he would never allow his children to ever be alone with other children (or possibly even their siblings). Every moment, 24/7/365, an adult must be present so that the innate "foolishness" that's bound up in the hearts of children doesn't take over.

Ages ago when I was discovering fundie things via the homeschooling groups on USENET, there was discussion about this guy whenever the usual "but what about socialization?" question came up, because for him the most horrifying thought ever is that you let kids socialize each other. Homeschooling is good (for him) precisely because you can PREVENT kids being socialized by other kids.

I found this all quite fascinating, as one of the explicit goals of the school system I went to was to have kids learn how to interact as members of a group, to resolve conflicts and all that WITHOUT the teacher refereeing all the time. From first grade all the kids had jobs in the classroom (chosen by election) and we had a class council and all of it, seven year olds interacting with seven year olds and learning how to be part of a group where everyone has same power level, more or less.

Mary needs to trim the ends of her hair.

Whenever I see someone write, "I'm a daughter of the King of Kings," I can't help but think of Elvis first.

I guess I've become a Maxwell "fan." My curiosity piqued by mention here of an Australian family, I found the recent blogpost as well as the responses. One Australian family knows the Australian family the Maxwells met, and says, wowzers, Australia "really isn't that small!" and Steve responds that indeed, it is "amazing."

Naaaht really. I had an e-friend who lived in one of Aus's largest cities and worked there for one of its largest employers - the company had personnel in a dozen buildings in the downtown area of just that metro area. I met another e-friend and mentioned the other one. Turns out that out of all the places they could work, they both worked for the corporation and even more curiously, one's office was directly over the other's in one of those buildings.

Amazing? No. Coincidence. ;)

Archived