IGNORED

Fundie sighting on a mountain

meda

So this past Sunday, the headship and I were enjoying late fall in the Adirondacks by hiking one of the smaller mountains. As we were coming down the trail, we passed a group of three younger couples with 4 children under the age of 2, accompanied by a middle aged woman wearing a babushka type head covering, long skirt, and loose shirt. There was also an older man with a long beard. The younger women were wearing jeans and long shirts (it was about 45 degrees) and bandana head coverings. The younger men had that wholesome look I associate with fundies. I can't decide what they were, although I lean towards some kind of fundie if only because they had lousy trail etiquette ( the woman in the skirt walked right into me as the whole group swarmed in a mass up and around the marked path) and they had the poor judgement to take multiple babies on a fairly technical hike that included crossing deep streams.

This part of NY is definitely "god's country", and we have our share of NCFIC churches, IFB, and JW's, but the fact that they were hiking on a Sunday is confusing me. Any guesses?

Probably not, I think he was just stunned by the multiple babies. Since he knows ( and enables) my fundie watching, he was curious about them too.

I used to see fundie types in the mountains years ago when I went on day fishing trips with my dad. There were times I would see them on Sundays.

got to work on my stealth picture taking. Saw her at a lower cost grocery store in Portland or. only a slit for her eyes.

32745BAC-orig.jpg

It's Elizabeth Smart!

Can we rule out hippies?

After all, a Berkeley mom is a woman who rides around in a VW van with six kids hanging out the windows and a Planned Parenthood sticker on the back.

I doubt they're observant Jews. If they're frum enough to totally cover their heads, they probaby wouldn't wear jeans. Some artsy fartsy communal living type group, maybe? The jeans are throwing my fundy radar wayyy off. BTW, OP, I'm pretty close to the ADKs myself, exit 9 on the Northway. What exit are you, as they say in New Jersey?

I doubt they're observant Jews. If they're frum enough to totally cover their heads, they probaby wouldn't wear jeans. Some artsy fartsy communal living type group, maybe? The jeans are throwing my fundy radar wayyy off. BTW, OP, I'm pretty close to the ADKs myself, exit 9 on the Northway. What exit are you, as they say in New Jersey?

Hi there, I'm actually exit 35! (the Canadian part of NY) We moved up here from exit 8 a couple of years ago, so we are "capital district" refugees of sorts.

I see now--I was going off of what I thought the description was, but after that picture, I'm more inclined to suggest Muslim (or cult). There's a wide variety of Muslims and I can't identify exactly what branch they are (something to do with the way they wear the head covering/type of body covering/etc), but that would explain hiking on a Sunday and the boatload of kids--many of them have the same POV as Catholics do about birth control. Some are even into the fundie range of "many blessings."

But I'm just guessing here. Just one class of Abrahamic Faiths and two times I've been to a mosque makes me realize how much I still don't know.

Ah yes, I have been to the canadian part of NY a time or two myself. We in the Capital District salute you for going to a place where there's even more snow than here!

got to work on my stealth picture taking. Saw her at a lower cost grocery store in Portland or. only a slit for her eyes.

32745BAC-orig.jpg

Ooh, what grocery store? The Grocery Outlet?? Or as I liked to call it, the GEE OH. :D

Archived