IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen 47

Coconut Flan

Seeing the video Josie does look at the card, so she probably can read but just might have delays. 

The bottoms of Joy’s feet were filthy! I was surprised she didn’t wash them, especially since they stood out among the white set and the white blanket.

Given how preterm Josie was, it’s amazing that she’s healthy. I would be surprised if she has no academic struggles but it might also just be force of habit to treat her younger than she is. 
I cringed when Jenni talked about wanting to breed mini cows; I hate the idea of backyard breeders. Maybe someone can convince JB and Michelle to let her take a veterinary assistant program at a local college. 

• Upvote 8

I’d be surprised if any of the Duggar kids have the math and science skills to be a veterinary assistant. It’s one of the most infuriating things to me about this family (and I know there is  A LOT to choose from) - they have deliberately withheld education and knowledge from 19 human beings, thereby depriving them not only of the ability to independently support themselves via an actual career, but also just depriving them of access to so much information and knowledge about the world around them. Stunting their intellectual development for Jesus or whatever. Fucking shameful. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 12
  • Love 2

So it appears that we will be seeing a new four-part docuseries on Amazon Prime later this year in response to "Shiny Happy People":  "Shiny Slander".   The trailer is included in the link below.

Paul and Morgan now claim they were lied to by the "Shiny Happy People" producers and were demonized by the docuseries instead of having their faith showcased as they were allegedly led to believe.  

The docuseries goes after those who have spoken out against IBLP and promises an interview with Bill Gothard.  

Bonus points for my Jim Bob avatar included in the linked article!     

https://www.theashleysrealityroundup.com/2024/03/19/shiny-slander-documentary-aims-to-dispute-allegations-made-against-iblp-duggar-family-in-shiny-happy-people-docuseries-watch-the-first-trailer/

• Upvote 4
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank You 12

10 hours ago, Hera said:

I’d be surprised if any of the Duggar kids have the math and science skills to be a veterinary assistant. It’s one of the most infuriating things to me about this family (and I know there is  A LOT to choose from) - they have deliberately withheld education and knowledge from 19 human beings, thereby depriving them not only of the ability to independently support themselves via an actual career, but also just depriving them of access to so much information and knowledge about the world around them. Stunting their intellectual development for Jesus or whatever. Fucking shameful. 

I sincerely hope some of them rebel by getting an education. Even if they want to go into ministry, I’d hope they get an advanced degree at an accredited college or university. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

6 hours ago, Father Son Holy Goat said:

I sincerely hope some of them rebel by getting an education. Even if they want to go into ministry, I’d hope they get an advanced degree at an accredited college or university. 

It’d be nice, but I don’t see it happening. Most of the Duggars have rebellion bred out of them. None were raised to view education as anything valuable or worth the effort. While education to some people is seen as a way to improve one’s life, Duggars are content with the status quo. I’m sure there’d be plenty of ridicule, subtle or blatantly outspoken, for any of them seeking to further their education. Especially the girls. It would be actively discouraged. There would be comments like, “oh you think you’re something” and “who do you think you are” “what a waste”. The philosophy is “don’t get above your raising.” You have to stay like everyone else to be accepted. No raising the standards. 

Edited by Cam
  • Upvote 11
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Cam said:

It’d be nice, but I don’t see it happening. Most of the Duggars have rebellion bred out of them. None were raised to view education as anything valuable or worth the effort. While education to some people is seen as a way to improve one’s life, Duggars are content with the status quo. I’m sure there’d be plenty of ridicule, subtle or blatantly outspoken, for any of them seeking to further their education. Especially the girls. It would be actively discouraged. There would be comments like, “oh you think you’re something” and “who do you think you are” “what a waste”. The philosophy is “don’t get above your raising.” You have to stay like everyone else to be accepted. No raising the standards. 

If any Duggar goes on to seek higher education, they are going to have to do it on their own.  My Catholic husband was brought up the same way regarding education.  Never was inspired or encouraged by anyone to go past high school and so he never did.   His mother made it very clear early on for all three children (hubby was the youngest) that "We don't do cars and we don't do college".   His dad, who pretty much "went along to get along" on that point, stayed out of it.

His older brother, the only one who finished college out of all three kids, got a bachelor's degree at age 35 and went back to school at night for years, paying for classes himself.  My MIL did watch his kids so he could go back as his wife worked retail at the time and had wacky work hours.  And the only reason she did that is because that son is her obvious favorite and the only one she can't say no to. 

My husband's older sister went to college for one semester after high school and dropped out because she hated it.  She was a biology major, and I guess the thought of changing majors to something she might actually enjoy never occurred to her.  My MIL understandably told her she needed a job.  So, she went to work for minimum wage in a factory not too far from where they lived....and remained there for 32 years until the place shut down.   She did meet her husband there (who actually left the factory in the mid 90s for the USPS to better himself) so there's that.  But she is so creative and artistically talented and could have done so much more with her life and career if encouraged to pursue that further.   

I honestly think that my MIL, who put herself through nursing school in the 50s, didn't want any of her children to be college educated because after all, they would start to become "smarter" than her in her eyes and start critically thinking about things, especially her, and we can't have that.   

• Upvote 9
  • Sad 2
  • Love 1

On 3/19/2024 at 2:27 PM, Hera said:

Several of the guys are pilots, both fixed wing and helicopters.  That licensing requires quite a bit of math and science including mechanics, basic physics and meteorology.   That doesn't give any of them a well-rounded education, but it's a step up from your average Vo-Tech school.  

Granted, none of the girls get even a fraction of that education, but nothing is expected of them. 

And after they marry and move out, they really have no barrier to further education other than laziness.  I don't see Jim Bob trying to stop one of his 20-something, self-supporting boys from going back to school if they wanted to.  Especially if it would allow them to make more money.  

Edited by CultureVulture
  • Upvote 3

I think doing higher education in order to use it at medicorps wouldn’t surprise me at all. 

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Father Son Holy Goat said:

Didn't Joe finish 1 semester at Crown College?

45 minutes ago, Cults-r-us said:

Didn't Joe finish 1 semester at Crown College?

It was a single semester training course. He was never going to Crown to secure a degree.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

49 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

He was never going to Crown to secure a degree.

And even if he was, it is NOT accredited, so he could do nothing with it outside of Fundie-land. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

It was a single semester training course. He was never going to Crown to secure a degree.

He didn’t even secure the rumoured girl lol 

39 minutes ago, AussieKrissy said:

He didn’t even secure the rumoured girl lol 

Nope. She seemed pretty disinterested.

• I Agree 1

I seem to recall Clown has a one semester or year Bible certificate program.  And that Trace went thru it as well

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

9 minutes ago, clueliss said:

I seem to recall Clown has a one semester or year Bible certificate program.  And that Trace went thru it as well

To make fundie parents feel better about their extremely uneducated homeschooled kids. “My kid went to college too!”

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 9

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

To make fundie parents feel better about their extremely uneducated homeschooled kids. “My kid went to college too!”

And to help them find similarly indoctrinated spouses.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 9

On 3/19/2024 at 7:56 PM, HeartsAFundie said:

So it appears that we will be seeing a new four-part docuseries on Amazon Prime later this year in response to "Shiny Happy People":  "Shiny Slander". 

It won't be on Amazon Prime. They haven't announced a platform for it. I'm assuming it'll be either in YouTube or some little-known platform that you'll have to buy/rent it for in order to watch it.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 6

On 3/20/2024 at 5:04 PM, CultureVulture said:

And after they marry and move out, they really have no barrier to further education other than laziness.  I don't see Jim Bob trying to stop one of his 20-something, self-supporting boys from going back to school if they wanted to.  Especially if it would allow them to make more money.  

For the daughters, barriers after marriage would be pregnancy, childbirth, demands of newborn(s), rinse, repeat. And how to pay for the education. Plus how supportive would a husband be? These kids barely get to know the person before they marry. The girls aren’t taught to have any other aspirations aside from wife and mommy. I don’t see them talking to their betrothed saying, “after we marry I want to go to college.” Even if they think they might want to do it, once they start pumping out kids, it becomes more of a challenge. Not saying it can’t be done—it can and it has. But not by Duggars.

The boys have no gumption. Why put forth effort when their siblings aren’t?

I can remember seeing a few 19KAC episodes that tried to portray Jill as a budding midwife-in-training. I couldn’t believe how lame it was. It irritated me, even. I thought, wow, who doesn’t see through this charade? It was of no surprise to me that the midwife thing for her eventually fizzled out. 

• Upvote 12

3 hours ago, Cam said:

For the daughters, barriers after marriage would be pregnancy, childbirth, demands of newborn(s), rinse, repeat. And how to pay for the education. Plus how supportive would a husband be? These kids barely get to know the person before they marry. The girls aren’t taught to have any other aspirations aside from wife and mommy. I don’t see them talking to their betrothed saying, “after we marry I want to go to college.” Even if they think they might want to do it, once they start pumping out kids, it becomes more of a challenge. Not saying it can’t be done—it can and it has. But not by Duggars.

The boys have no gumption. Why put forth effort when their siblings aren’t?

I can remember seeing a few 19KAC episodes that tried to portray Jill as a budding midwife-in-training. I couldn’t believe how lame it was. It irritated me, even. I thought, wow, who doesn’t see through this charade? It was of no surprise to me that the midwife thing for her eventually fizzled out. 

My point was specifically about the sons, post marriage.  I evidentially didn't make that clear enough. 

I don't think anybody ever expects any of the daughters or married-ins to go beyond whatever education they had at their wedding day.  And of course none of the lost girls or Jana will go beyond basic 6th grade knowledge.  

• Upvote 1

I could see Jill maybe going to school eventually. Or maybe that's just my wish.

• I Agree 6

8 hours ago, Kiki03910 said:

I could see Jill maybe going to school eventually. Or maybe that's just my wish.

I could see that too. She’s one that actually seemed to enjoy learning. I believe Derrick would be supportive and they certainly can afford it. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

6 minutes ago, Father Son Holy Goat said:

I could see that too. She’s one that actually seemed to enjoy learning. I believe Derrick would be supportive and they certainly can afford it. 

Derrick has been a very public asshole in multiple ways, but I have to give him credit for supporting Jill's path to self-respect and autonomy. No matter how much I despise some of his views, he has played a huge role in Jill escaping her upbringing. I don't say this to downplay Jill's own strength, which is amazing to me. But he has, at the least, been a very good partner.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 12

I want to believe Jana is using her freedom to learn things, be it through a(n online) college or just random pottery and welding courses she happens to be interested in. Not because I expect to or think she's better than the others but because she's more or less the only one who seems to be both old enough and unburdened enough to choose what to do with her time and it hurts me to assume she's wasting her finite lifetime away. Of course if you believe you'll get eternal life at some point why NOT waste time?

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Kiki03910 said:

Derrick has been a very public asshole in multiple ways, but I have to give him credit for supporting Jill's path to self-respect and autonomy. No matter how much I despise some of his views, he has played a huge role in Jill escaping her upbringing. I don't say this to downplay Jill's own strength, which is amazing to me. But he has, at the least, been a very good partner.

There’s no doubt that Derick was a catalyst for Jill to escape her upbringing. Imagine if she’d married someone whose parents were also quiverful and was raised ultra-conservative. Jill could have twice as many kids by now, still be wearing only skirts, never tasted alcohol or gotten a nose ring! She would never have found herself “Counting the Cost” and we’d never have gotten the dirt on JB and Michelle! Yeah, her choice of spouse was a major influence on her life. Or I guess it was JB’s choice of her spouse. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4