IGNORED

John and Alyssa Webster 14: Is It Time to Say the Family Is Complete?

Coconut Flan

20 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I remember being at the store with my mom and she bought those. I was like, “why do they come in eggs.?” She had no idea. Now I figure it’s because Eggs rhymes with Leggs. 

My mom had a glue gun and glued rickrack & ribbon on them and they were our reusable easter eggs!

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Love 3

On 4/7/2024 at 10:16 AM, HereticHick said:

Some of us grew up with the ultimate recycled Easter eggs:

image.png.8803b27c060c9499d16c5bf355d50e2c.png

Yes!! Always loved when my mom bought new hose. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/6/2024 at 10:47 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

My sister hides eggs outside for my boys and she always finds a plastic egg or two months after the egg hunt that they missed. That always happened at my grandparents’ house too. They had a giant cardboard box of plastic eggs that were used every year. And grandpa would accidentally mow over one that was missed. 

That reminds me of a story my ex used to often tell about his Easter growing up.  They would dye real eggs the night before and leave them in a bowl for the Easter Bunny.  They were never quite sure what the Bunny needed the eggs for, it was just part of the holiday lore.

The next morning the eggs would be gone and candy filled Easter baskets would be on the table next to the empty bowl.  Then someone would notice a couple of eggs lying on the ground outside.  Obviously, they'd bounced out of the basket as the Easter Bunny left.  So the kids would empty out the candy and take their baskets outside to pick up the eggs.  Easter Magic had protected the eggs from breaking as they bounced around and ended up in surprising places.  Mom and Dad were pretty good natured about rehiding the eggs a few times so the kids could go on more egg hunts, but soon the‪ kids would just take turns hiding them for each other.  Eventually they'd need to give them to Mom so she could make potato salad.  As my ex would say "Easter wasn't officially over until Dad ran over the last egg with the lawn mower a couple months later".  The stink would drive everyone indoors for awhile while the kids would each try to take credit for such a steller hiding job.

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 4
  • Love 4

Maybe it’s just how my mind works, but I would have hidden the eggs outside of the pool/fenced in area. I wouldn’t want a bunch of excited kids, including recently turned 3 and 1YOs,  running around a pool with baskets, trying to get the most eggs. That is just asking for a parent needing to jump in to rescue a toddler or pre-schooler.

• Upvote 4

27 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Maybe it’s just how my mind works, but I would have hidden the eggs outside of the pool/fenced in area. I wouldn’t want a bunch of excited kids, including recently turned 3 and 1YOs,  running around a pool with baskets, trying to get the most eggs. That is just asking for a parent needing to jump in to rescue a toddler or pre-schooler.

I think their only outdoor space is the pool area. I'm not sure if there is a yard on the front.of the house, but if there is, it is a little one (and very near to the street) so I doubt it's big enough to hide eggs for 5 children. They used to have a fence around the pool, but  when Maci was a baby and Zoey was like 3 years old, the fence was often open. They are not worried about the pool...

• Upvote 2

On 4/10/2024 at 11:37 AM, Flossie said:

That reminds me of a story my ex used to often tell about his Easter growing up.  They would dye real eggs the night before and leave them in a bowl for the Easter Bunny.  They were never quite sure what the Bunny needed the eggs for, it was just part of the holiday lore.

The next morning the eggs would be gone and candy filled Easter baskets would be on the table next to the empty bowl.  Then someone would notice a couple of eggs lying on the ground outside.  Obviously, they'd bounced out of the basket as the Easter Bunny left.  So the kids would empty out the candy and take their baskets outside to pick up the eggs.  Easter Magic had protected the eggs from breaking as they bounced around and ended up in surprising places.  Mom and Dad were pretty good natured about rehiding the eggs a few times so the kids could go on more egg hunts, but soon the‪ kids would just take turns hiding them for each other.  Eventually they'd need to give them to Mom so she could make potato salad.  As my ex would say "Easter wasn't officially over until Dad ran over the last egg with the lawn mower a couple months later".  The stink would drive everyone indoors for awhile while the kids would each try to take credit for such a steller hiding job.

We just mowed in the backyard today and found a superbly hidden egg. It was rank. The malodorous vapors were exceedingly rancid. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 10

This week's video... Alyssa is breaking in her hiking boots for their 10 year anniversary trip. She is eating her words as she made fun of John for doing it last week on their video. They talk to the 4 girls about their karate class. They have taken 6-7 classes so far and seem to really like it. That's it. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 7

2 hours ago, gobucks said:

This week's video... Alyssa is breaking in her hiking boots for their 10 year anniversary trip. She is eating her words as she made fun of John for doing it last week on their video. They talk to the 4 girls about their karate class. They have taken 6-7 classes so far and seem to really like it. That's it. 

I am very pleasantly surprised that the girls are taking karate. That does not seem to fit activities that I think fundy girls would be allowed to participate in.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 3

Just now, Audrey2 said:

I am very pleasantly surprised that the girls are taking karate. That does not seem to fit activities that I think fundy girls would be allowed to participate in.

I'm curious if it is through the co-op or the instructor comes to the house (like the swim teacher). It seems an odd choice. I wonder who chose it since the girls were all announcing activities they wanted to do and none mentioned karate. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

4 hours ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

I wonder who chose it since the girls were all announcing activities they wanted to do and none mentioned karate

Sometimes it is as simple as "cousin Johnny is doing karate and I want it too". Or they saw a new karate class in their co-op and wanted to join.

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Sometimes it is as simple as "cousin Johnny is doing karate and I want it too". Or they saw a new karate class in their co-op and wanted to join.

Maybe? I just get the vibe that it was chosen for them rather than a desire from the kids.

• Upvote 6

7 hours ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

I just get the vibe that it was chosen for them rather than a desire from the kids.

I didn't watch the video, but I'd believe this simply because it seems like what the kids want has never factored into the decisions before.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

On 3/26/2024 at 9:00 PM, EmiSue said:

Someone on Reddit said she coppied the poem from an Abeka book as an assignment. Not sure why that warrants Alyssa's reaction.

Sorry - I am late to this but I am not sure this is true.  I was taught with Abeka curriculum.  There is a poem by Tennyson called Song of the Brook and back then, Tennyson was well-taught in Abeka. I know Abeka has a unit on the poem and there is some curriculum around it. Penmanship assignments weren't like this either.  I know things could have changed, but since there is a lot of Tennyson and other traditional writers and poets (and a high school unit on that particular poem), I would bet this was a poetry assignment on that particular poem for younger years.

On 3/27/2024 at 9:23 AM, HermioneSparrow said:

Ohh I didn't know that. Makes sense then.

I am not sure this is true and nothing Reddit fundie watchers should be taken as truth without actually confirming it.

On 3/28/2024 at 5:16 PM, HeartsAFundie said:

Abeka has a Grade 4 paperback book titled "Song Of The Brook".  It's from a series about a pioneer family and their children, Hilda and John.  Apparently each book has a theme and this one deals with envy and to be content with what God has given you. 

I know Allie is doing grade 4 work so I am willing to bet the poem/assignment stems from this novel. 

https://www.abeka.com/ABekaOnline/BookDescription.aspx?sbn=97772  

It's based on Tennyson's poem of the same name. There is also high school curriculum.

Someone on Reddit saw that and assumed it was copied. It reads like a child's poem.

On 4/19/2024 at 11:12 PM, Audrey2 said:

Here is the video. What was sad to me is that part of the video shows the older three doing a performance for the rest of the family. My nieces, nephews and kids drove us nuts doing these - over and over and over. But we never filmed it and put it on YouTube for the whole world to see.

Edited by nelliebelle1197
  • Upvote 5
  • Thank You 2

On 4/20/2024 at 7:53 PM, GuineaPigCourtship said:

I didn't watch the video, but I'd believe this simply because it seems like what the kids want has never factored into the decisions before.

Anytime fundies sign their children up for anything I assume it's either an activity the parent/s desperately wanted to do as a child but couldn't or it's something their favorite child wants to do and therefore everyone must participate. If their child likes the activity that's a convenient bonus. 

Edited by Giraffe
  • Upvote 7

What I found sad was that Maci and Lexi were clear in the video that they wanted to do something different and Alyssa shut it with « we’re not switching activities ». If they want to do ballet and gymnastics, that’s what they should be doing. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 3