IGNORED

RIP Burt Young

47of74

Paulie has passed on 

Burt Young, the Oscar-nominated actor who played Paulie, the rough-hewn, mumbling-and-grumbling best friend, corner-man and brother-in-law to Sylvester Stallone in the “Rocky” franchise, has died. 

Young died Oct. 8 in Los Angeles, his daughter, Anne Morea Steingieser, told the New York Times on Wednesday. No cause was given. He was 83. 

Young had roles in acclaimed films and television shows including “Chinatown,” “Once Upon a Time in America” and “The Sopranos.” 

But he was always best known for playing Paulie Pennino in six “Rocky” movies. The short, paunchy, balding Young was the sort of actor who always seemed to play middle-aged no matter his age.

9 hours ago, TN-peach said:

So sad.  Paulie was a good one. 

Yeah he reminded me of some of my uncles.  A lot of the Rocky films reminded me of Dubuque - especially the working class parts of town where my mom's side of the family grew up.  In fact for the Stallone film FIST they used Dubuque because Dubuque looked more like Cleveland of the 30s than Cleveland itself did.  This was because Dubuque developed a cable system in the mid 1950s due to the geography interfering with TV signals while Cleveland didn't and as a result Cleveland had a lot of TV antennas.

• Upvote 1