IGNORED

Charles and Camilla 2

samurai_sarah

I admit I'll never forget the dress that looked like a K Mart bathrobe. 

• Haha 7

6 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

I admit I'll never forget the dress that looked like a K Mart bathrobe. 

Royals! They’re just like us!

Sometimes they can’t be bothered to change out of PJs to go to work either 

• Haha 11

I think Anne just said that it would be a mistake to slim down further. Because let’s face it- natural cause will shrink the working set down to 8 soon. 20 years on we are probably down to 5 or even just 3. Which is not outlandish compared to other royal houses. 
She is definitely not a comforting character. (But then, who in this family is?) Being extra snotty is seen by some as being hyper honest and not playing games. She has cultivated this persona- and while I think she is pretty rude I still would rather spend time with her than someone holding back all the time or worse, being fake. At least you know where you stand with her.

I don’t know what to think about her feelings regarding her families role in slavery. On the one hand the institution of the monarchy and the individuals then most definitely could be researched. Many companies that have been involved in similar atrocities pay a research group for a study, do some pr around it addressing it, maybe put some wall posters up and either fund a charity, mini museum on company grounds or give money to charity. But that’s mostly people with no personal ties. And if it’s still a family headed company- their wealth is separated from company wealth. So whatever the company does- there is still a barrier to the individuals living right now. 
Some people act as if the RF should open their homes as council houses, walk in shame and give all their money away. They make it personal in a way you would think Charly and his mummy signed slavery trade agreements after tea. No one of the royals today has taken part in or endorsed slavery. Their family profited from it, but that’s not their fault per se. And this is true for MANY normal people. It’s just not as well documented or easy to see.
I get the call for a well researched overview but I don’t get the call to make them pay as individuals. That’s quite the double standard. If Charly is smart he takes note on how many German (family) companies dealt with their actions under the Nazi Regime. I think all came out just fine enough. The UK hasn’t much experience with this, Germany does. It’s not comfortable but when it’s done it makes many things easier. It’s a fine balance but it can be done. So I get Anne’s hesitation and (probably fear based) dismissal but it could be a big win for them. They would show that you can address a horrific past but still come out with basically no repercussions. I would just hope other companies and institutions would follow suit.

• Upvote 10
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 1

I guess I can see both sides.

On one hand, the smaller the crowd that gets paraded about, the fewer people they  must keep out of trouble, and if one of the non-working royal offspring screws up they can more easily cover it up as private citizens.

On the other hand, the smaller the crowd that gets paraded about, the more people might wonder if they really need any.

• Upvote 9

My thought on watching Anne’s interview was that it’s a shame she didn’t serve in the military. She would have been so much better at it than her brothers.

• Upvote 10

17 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

My thought on watching Anne’s interview was that it’s a shame she didn’t serve in the military. She would have been so much better at it than her brothers.

And many more able women of the past are now sighing because they would have been a better fit, but because of their genitals weren't even considered and pushed to the back seats.

• Upvote 7

On 5/4/2023 at 1:01 PM, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Andrew is a nonce but I believe he did quite well in the military, and served in combat. 

Why would Anne be a military success? I haven't seen her display courage.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

Andrew is a nonce but I believe he did quite well in the military, and served in combat. 

Why would Anne be a military success? I haven't seen her display courage.

Some enlightenment on Anne's courage for you to educate yourself
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/bloody-attempt-kidnap-british-princess-180950202/

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2

It’s never been an argument Anne is her fathers child more than any of her brothers. That should tell you what kind of soldier she would have made if the options been available to her. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

46 minutes ago, klein_roeschen said:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/bloody-attempt-kidnap-british-princess-180950202/

Seven men risking their lives to help one woman? That's hardly the definition of brave. It's great she didn't burst into tears, but that doesn't make a person "brave." The Palace trains the royals and preps them for these situations.

Talk to some abused women. They usually aren't coming home in a limo from a charity premiere when they experiencing their attack. 

Anne kept her senses, but so did all of her rescuers. Maybe they'd be great in the military too, if you are setting the bar that low.

35 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

It’s never been an argument Anne is her fathers child more than any of her brothers. That should tell you what kind of soldier she would have made if the options been available to her. 

Actually, it doesn't. Anne can't rest on her father's laurels. The Anne I see has led a life of unimaginable privilege. Today, she is wearing a military uniform she didn't earn. That shows a level of dishonesty and disrespect to the military. Why would this old woman -- who never served a day -- be their leader?

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, klein_roeschen said:

I knew of this, of course; I was sixteen in 1974 so remember it well. But as the article mentioned, most of the details were not released for years afterward. I had no idea how bad it really got before they subdued the man. Princess Anne definitely has guts. Nerves of steel. Cast iron balls, even. 😳

• Upvote 3

On another note the balcony group looked joyful and relaxed with genuine smiles all around. It was quite lovely.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3

I loved seeing the robes and all the fancy shmancy stuff. The black and white images from QEII’s coronation did not show how amazing those golden robes are. That was really nice. Everyone looked amazing  

this may have been my favorite outfit though: 

image.png.933cf0f805dee3aec3e4afe4f749b078.png

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2

Interesting coronation. Some stuff annoyed me, some stuff was nice. Glad it’s finally over. 

• Upvote 2

I am very sure The King and Queen and the other elderly family members are as well.  

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

7 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

On another note the balcony group looked joyful and relaxed with genuine smiles all around. It was quite lovely.

Here's what I saw1683381047399_tdy_news_sr_9a_coronation_buckingham_balcony_230506_1920x1080-w947vk.thumb.jpg.f1c3fc7019eb64175d3fec2d694a2a44.jpg. Where are those genuine smiles all around?

George didn't look happy at all.

prince-george-king-charles-iii-coronation-050623-1-51717974a6ce45e7b7534ab808257da5.thumb.webp.5731203a7699a81afb6e5c06f50d25e3.webp

6 hours ago, prayawaythefundie said:

I loved Charlotte‘s and Kate‘s headpieces / tiara substitutes.

I agree! And I love that both of their dresses have the same embroidery. Very nicely done. 

I don’t really understand the giant red and blue robes that members of the royal family are wearing. Or Anne’s green one. I’m sure there’s some significance but I haven’t found an explanation 

• Upvote 5

42 minutes ago, KnittingOwl said:

I don’t really understand the giant red and blue robes that members of the royal family are wearing. Or Anne’s green one. I’m sure there’s some significance but I haven’t found an explanation

According to the Sky News feed i’m watching, the green is from the Order of the Thistle. The rest of the blue ones are Order of the Garter. I know Garter is an order of chivalry thanks to a visit to Windsor Castle years ago, so I’d assume Thistle is one as well.

Note: i have no idea what an order of chivalry really means other than a chance to wear an outfit so ridiculous it somehow becomes awesome. 

Edited by Destiny
forgot a word
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 9
  • Thank You 6

When the British refer to pomp and circumstance, I now believe those colored capes, brocade ropes, threads and tassels + the pageantry are all part of the P and C. I am sure each item and action embodies tradition and has a specific meaning, but watching from the outside it’s almost as comical as those wigs worn in their courts.

As a woman, I might feel bothered by not being able to don a beautiful and fashionable ensemble vs a traditional cape for such a momentous occasion, but I guess it really isn’t about them.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, prayawaythefundie said:

I loved Charlotte‘s and Kate‘s headpieces / tiara substitutes.

I have to admit (it was 5am) I thought to myself “I thought they weren’t wearing tiaras. I’ve never seen that one before.”  Then I had some coffee rubbed my eyes some more and realized it was a headpiece. It had me fooled for a minute. I loved how Catherine and Charlotte were coordinating. 

• Upvote 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic