IGNORED

Charles and Camilla 2

samurai_sarah

45 minutes ago, TN-peach said:

I loved watching the Wales family on the balcony.  You could tell that they are close.  When William put his hands on Charlotte's shoulders, she grabbed his fingers and pulled him tighter. 

Yesterday was the Order of the Garter procession.  Someone on Twitter found several pictures of Kate smiling at William during the procession each year and every picture when she sees him she almost seems to smile brighter like there is a secret joke.

Maybe they are a close famiily, maybe not. But W&K are well aware that the public wants to see them as a close, loving family. It's part of the image they are promoting. Nobody wants to see them as distant, angry or unhappy. That doesn't promote their brand!

They are also well aware of the rumors of William's infidelity.

So I'd take what they do in public with a grain of salt. 

• Upvote 2

I liked Camilla's Ascot outfit better than her usual.

image.png.c298f3cc8ddad09539f144f49ce83812.png

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

4 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

I liked Camilla's Ascot outfit better than her usual.

image.png.c298f3cc8ddad09539f144f49ce83812.png

Is this another day of "work" for the royals?  I wonder if it will count as an "engagement"?

16 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

Is this another day of "work" for the royals?  I wonder if it will count as an "engagement"?

Having to watch a horse race is one of the most boring things I could ever imagine. You would have to pay me a lot to see me there. 😆

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 1

On 6/21/2023 at 4:52 PM, prayawaythefundie said:

Having to watch a horse race is one of the most boring things I could ever imagine.

Standing around bored is now "work"?

Being driven to an event in a Jag, being served fancy food and drink, being curtsied to, chatting with people who laugh at all your jokes. ... that's so boring that it's also considered "work"?

You would have to pay me a lot to see me there. 😆

How much is "a lot"? How much would you demand? Charles and Camilla demand 83 million pounds a year to do this type of work.

Charles and Camilla are spending a week at Ascot. The royals aren't expected to attend horse races. This is pure vacation and not royal duty. What a life they lead!

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder why the royals cannot apologize for slavery. The Dutch just did. Is it possible they are not sorry? Slavery created the lifestyle they lead today.

Question to all who know this: Is is correct to assume that the BRF can‘t apologize for slavery without the government‘s approval while they could indeed return jewelry on their own?

6 hours ago, prayawaythefundie said:

Question to all who know this: Is is correct to assume that the BRF can‘t apologize for slavery without the government‘s approval while they could indeed return jewelry on their own?

Can't apologize? They could apologize tomorrow. They could apologize at their next speech. What would happen?

No one is going to throw them in jail. Nothing would happen. Of course they can apologize. They choose not to.

They might need government permission to return the jewels, though. But apologizing is something they could do at any time. 

8 hours ago, prayawaythefundie said:

I think it depends. As with many things to do with the BRF, ownership is deliberately opaque so people can't work out how much the Royal Family actually owns and should pay inheritance tax on complicated. Some jewellery is privately owned and can be disposed of as the owner sees fit, some jewellery is the property of the Crown as the institution in one way or another and so the government would have Opinions were the Royal Family to start talking about sending it back (eg the Cullinan diamonds which are set in the Imperial State Crown and the Sovereign's Sceptre, and the Koh-i-Noor diamond in Queen Mary's Crown).

Similarly with slavery - they could apologise for slavery that they benefited from directly and personally, as a family (eg if it turned out that there was a sugar plantation held as part of their personal investments), but anything like a State apology for the benefits that the Crown or the British economy more generally gained from slavery would have to have government approval.

• Upvote 10
  • Thank You 3

6 hours ago, prayawaythefundie said:

Yeah, sure. That one bank holiday is what ruined Britain’s economy. 😉

That's not what the article said.

I tend to believe UK's Office for National Statistics and the Wall Street Journal. 

Edited by Jackie3

Someone else who is as tired of the same old front seams and overly flared skirts as I am.  I do think she looks better in the more tailored outfits.  I don't mind the print day dresses as much as the author.  They suit her.  

https://nypost.com/2023/07/17/queen-camilla-would-benefit-a-lot-from-style-upgrade-fashion-expert/

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

Someone else who is as tired of the same old front seams and overly flared skirts as I am.  I do think she looks better in the more tailored outfits.  I don't mind the print day dresses as much as the author.  They suit her.  

https://nypost.com/2023/07/17/queen-camilla-would-benefit-a-lot-from-style-upgrade-fashion-expert/

Frankly, I think she'd rather be outside in her garden than making all these appearances where her clothes are scrutinized. We don't give women a break, even at 76!

Hard to feel bad for her, though, after what she did to Diana. Young women of 19 and 20 can be so vulnerable, and Camilla took full advantage of that.

1 hour ago, Coconut Flan said:

Good thing Iʻm not the Queen otherwise tees & capris would be the order of the day.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

I'm in shorts!  It's too hot for capris.  I don't think Camilla ever wanted to be queen.  She looked like disaster had fallen on her when Elizabeth died.  I'd hate to have to get dressed up, hair done, makeup on almost every day in what should be retirement years.  I think the last time I did that was a kid's wedding.  I know that's the last time I was in stockings and I took those off part way through the reception.  

Maybe that's why the print day dresses don't bother me.  It's as close to a ccomfortable retirement "uniform" as she can get.  

• Upvote 13

41 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

I'm in shorts!  It's too hot for capris.  I don't think Camilla ever wanted to be queen.  She looked like disaster had fallen on her when Elizabeth died.  I'd hate to have to get dressed up, hair done, makeup on almost every day in what should be retirement years.  I think the last time I did that was a kid's wedding.  I know that's the last time I was in stockings and I took those off part way through the reception.  

Maybe that's why the print day dresses don't bother me.  It's as close to a ccomfortable retirement "uniform" as she can get.  

She may not have wanted it but she certainly had to foresee it coming. When you marry the prince and his mother the queen is in her 90s logic states you’re going to be queen sooner or later.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 9

4 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

I'm in shorts!  It's too hot for capris.

For at-home events, absolutely, but when a Queen is out and about in public, capris would be more seemly.

• Haha 10

6 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

She could have been Queen Consort or Princess Consort. That's what the Queen wanted, anyway. 

She could have simply have taken on those titles, but she apparently pressured Charles into making her Queen. So, yes, I think she was ambitious and a social climber. But I don't think those are insults. 

7 hours ago, Father Son Holy Goat said:

She may not have wanted it but she certainly had to foresee it coming. When you marry the prince and his mother the queen is in her 90s logic states you’re going to be queen sooner or later.

Knowing something and the reality of it happening are often two different things. Nothing unusual about that. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

12 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

yeah i feel the same but i don't think Elizabeth's death made such a great difference in that respect, it's not like the spouse of the mere Prince of Wales can afford to look like a relaxed slob so very often.

• Upvote 7

I think Camilla has a hard job in terms of her style. On the one hand, she has the public judging her and comparing her to Queen Elizabeth (who was also incredibly repetitive, let’s be real). On the other, she’s dealing with what I presume is Charles’s rather fragile ego. She knows not to take too much attention away from him, and that is tricky. Women’s fashion tends to be more exciting especially when you factor in jewels and tiaras. 

• Upvote 4

I'm new and delighted to find this part of FJ🙂  As I'm a Brit who lives near some of the royal residences I probably have more knowledge of this topic than a lot of what is discussed on FJ.....I joined here to try and understand some American Christian friends I made on FB who seemed a long long way away from me in terms of belief.

Back to Camilla, she actually looks really lovely and more her petite self in jeans and a jumper, those coat/dress combos seem to make her look wider and frumpier.  I think that's the trouble when you're a female royal, it's dressy clothing, but it can't be too designer and out there, has to be acceptable and modest, so it's relatively simple on those evening occasions when your evening dress can be highlighted by massive amounts of bling, but daywear, not so easy.  
Then of course you can't upstage your husband, Charles is sensitive and I imagine a bit fragile as well as rather irritable on that subject.  
I must admit I've not met either of them, so I don't really know, but that's the vibe I get from watching far too much tv coverage and reading royal stuff to some elderly poorly relatives.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 5

• Coconut Flan locked this topic