IGNORED

The Queen/Prince Philip

viii

5 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Right now she’s motivated to get to February and an unprecedented seventy years on the throne. She may decline after that. 

I hope for that as well. My faith in her lately has waned a bit but I would still like to see her accomplish that. 

• Upvote 2

I was talking to one of the yeoman guards at the Tower of London when we had a private ship excursion to see the Crown Jewels.  I asked about abdication, and she said that for Elizabeth it isn't possible; every part of the kingdom would have to sign off on it (all the countries and little islands) and it would be impossibly complicated.  I know she thinks back to that day she pledged her life to her country and counts the years.

• Upvote 5

20 hours ago, viii said:

I hope for that as well. My faith in her lately has waned a bit but I would still like to see her accomplish that. 

Yeah it'd be nice to see that as well for her to get to 70 but we'll just have to see what happens. 

I know a lot of times when people have been married for a very long time when one spouse passes the surviving spouse's health takes a hit.  It seems like men are hit harder and pass sooner than women in similar situations.  When my great-great grandma died in late 1897 great-great-grandpa told her that he also would "soon answer the summons of the almighty."  About six months later he was gone too. 

I remember when my aunt died in September 2015 seeing the dates on the book of her birth and death at the funeral home and it struck me then how Elizabeth had reigned my aunt's entire life - my aunt was born not quite two months after Elizabeth became queen.

Edited by 47of74
  • Love 3

On 10/27/2021 at 5:48 PM, keen23 said:

Personally, I think she should abdicate. Do a handover of power while she's still alive, smooth the transition. In the Netherlands, it's been done multiple times in recent history. The Emperor of Japan abdicated in 2019, giving the crown to his son. The monarchies of Belgium and Spain have also abdicated to the next generation in recent years. No one would think less of the Queen if she decided to pass on the crown to Phillip while still alive.

Those monarchies all work very differently from the UK and from each other. Abdication for health/age reasons is extremely uncommon still though.

The Netherlands have a long tradition of abdications. There is also no coronation. Never has been I think, but they were only established as an independent monarchy in 1815 (for reasons a historian lived because it’s funny) so that could explain the scaled down pomp. Two monarchs died, four stepped down. So very very different. 

The Spanish monarchy is old but has seen many different branches/families ruling over different territories (very much like the UK). They have been abolished twice in the past. Ever since 1947 the monarchy has an interesting standing. King Juan Carlos was celebrated as bringing and establishing democracy after Franco, but ever since they do long after a republic more or less loudly. Juan Carlos would have very possibly not stepped down if he wasn’t implicated in being a very public serial cheater (in catholic Spain) and even more severe in money laundering, illicit money transactions and unjust enrichment all while Spain was crushed under the financial crash. He did it so the monarchy was not to be abolished. But kind of retained his title to be protected against paternity lawsuits iirc. Therefore be cannot live in Spain I think- two kings are quite complicated or impossible legally). He lives in self-exile no clue where though. Maybe his abdication will reign in a new tradition but that’s not a given.

Belgium got independent in 1830 and chose a constitutional monarchy as their form of government. So pretty young as well. The last two kings were the first two to abdicate (which is like 2/3). Albert II. did so for health reasons, his father Leopold III. because he surrendered his country to the Nazis, put under house arrest by the Belgium cabinet that had to move into exile in London. His family was moved to Germany and Austria. When they returned it nearly caused a civil war and he had to abdicate under pressure of the government. 

The Imperial House of Japan is the best comparison to the UK royal set up. There is no real protocol for abdication, a one-off bill was issued so that the emperor actually could step down. They even have a precedent case in 1817. Emperor Akihito did suffer from very severe health conditions. Prostate Cancer (2003), Pneumonia (2011), coronary examination and bypass surgery (2012), nausea, dizziness and problems with blood flow to his brain (2018) as well as collapsing and loosing consciousness (2020). 

So there are really only two monarchs that stepped down outside the tradition for health reasons (Belgium, Japan), while two were forced to abdicate (Spain, Belgium) and four that are in line with an individual tradition. 
I don’t think Norway, Sweden or Denmark have reached that point in the discussion yet. 

If the Queens health declines slowly but visibly we might see taken action similar to Japan, but I think they will prefer to make PC Prince Regent and let her outlive her days. It’s the easiest option, requires minimal action, has tested precedents and will delay the whole Camilla=Queen, Lili&Archie≠PrincePrincess hysteria. I hope she is able to keep going till her jubilee and then let take Prince Regent PC over.

I think abdications for age/health are reasonable and rational but just don’t agree with the concept of monarchy in itself. So I would be against making it a rule. The instalment of a Prince/Princess Regent is completely sufficient. And especially in countries that have elaborate traditions around coronations and complicated legal set ups around it this will keep the cost down. Just think about all the new money, the new emblems, the new mail boxes, new “business cards”…, the coronation, the inaugural visits… even a fluid transition involves a shit ton of money. A Prince Regent might die before you need all of this machinery and you save one so to say.

Edited by just_ordinary
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

Queen Margrethe In Denmark is not in the best of Health but she greatly admires her English Cousin and counterpart and good friend. I believe she won’t ever abdicate either  with her Her son and his family just take on more.  King Harald in Norway is not healthy but I suppose it much the same. Their ties to British style monarchy are much closer than Spain, Belgium  ETC.  

• 3 weeks later...

It seems that Queen Elizabeth keeps having health problems that prevent her from doing things she wants to do.  The talk about a “sprained back” makes me think she may end up in a wheel chair like Queen Victoria in her last years.  I hope she gets to have her jubilee next year.  She has done her best to be a good queen.

• Upvote 5

She does appear to have quite a string of health issues lately :(

I keep thinking how sad that when she passes it'll be quite the end of an era.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

Some joy for her.  Upcoming christenings. https://people.com/royals/queen-elizabeth-prince-philip-anniversary-great-grandchildren-baptized/  From the article - to save you all - "

"...because two of her great-grandchildren are being baptized at Windsor on Sunday. 

Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank and Zara and Mike Tindall have organized for the christenings of their sons, August and Lucas, respectively, to take place..."

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 3

Princess Anne was definitely side eyeing President Nixon. She disliked him.  It’s strange to see Britannia as a working vessel not the museum she now is in Leith, Edinburgh. 

• 1 month later...

I was just reading a novel, first published in 1953, which contains a futuristic fantasy centered in part on Queen Elizabeth and her family.  The contrasts between what the author hypothesized and what we know really happened are interesting.

The main action takes place in 1982 or so.  (There was a war in the 1970s and Britain has not recovered economically.)

The Queen (in her 50s) is described as “somewhat plump.” (Possibly because her mother became plump in middle-age.)

She is dedicated to the throne, very well-informed, but exhausted by the pressure of being Queen in difficult times.

Prince Phillip is charming, and competent at supporting the Queen. He shows real curiosity about technical things

The Queen Mother is not mentioned as being around. (Possibly was not expected to have lived that long.)

Charles and Anne are the Queen’s only children.

Charles is married with three children and seems the model Prince of Wales.

Anne is likewise married with three children and her husband is a duke.

The book is Nevil Shute’s In the Wet which you can get as an e-book for only 99 cents.  However, I don’t recommend it unless you can put up with racist and sexist assumptions, and some odd ideas about democracy.  The story is just mildly interesting. 

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...

I have been seeing news coverage about a typo in a whole bunch of Jubilee memorabilia that is very amusing.  According to some reports, the flawed memorabilia will be sold as jokes at a lower price than originally planned.

ETA: The typo is misspelling of Jubilee.

7C22F5A3-A3DD-4FEC-8D69-3518D0386E55.png

Edited by EmCatlyn
Clarify
  • Haha 4

25 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

I have been seeing news coverage about a typo in a whole bunch of Jubilee memorabilia that is very amusing.  According to some reports, the flawed memorabilia will be sold as jokes at a lower price than originally planned.

ETA: The typo is misspelling of Jubilee.

7C22F5A3-A3DD-4FEC-8D69-3518D0386E55.png

I have no clue about the matter, but my guess is that the misspelling was intended and was always supposed to be a joke. I mean, I cam imagine quite a few “more plausible” misspellings of jubilee, but jubbly is just funny. Like, that’s how you could name a guinea pig or something, the word is cute, fluffy, and munches on salad. 

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, FluffySnowball said:

I have no clue about the matter, but my guess is that the misspelling was intended and was always supposed to be a joke. I mean, I cam imagine quite a few “more plausible” misspellings of jubilee, but jubbly is just funny. Like, that’s how you could name a guinea pig or something, the word is cute, fluffy, and munches on salad. 

Maybe it was intentional, as a publicity stunt, but the news has been treating it as a mistake.  See, for example:

https://people.com/royals/queen-elizabeth-platinum-jubilee-souvenirs-typo-jubbly/

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/world/460784/royal-souvenirs-have-platinum-jubbly-misprint

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10465155/Thousands-Platinum-Jubbly-memorabilia-feature-misprint.html

A total of 10,600 commemorative tea sets, mugs and decorative plates designed to mark the Queen’s 70th year on the throne have been produced with the immortal line “the Platinum Jubbly of Queen Elizabeth II” rather than “the Platinum Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II”.

The products were produced by a Chinese manufacturer but something appears to have been lost in translation.

The result is Only Fools and Horses star Sir David Jason’s famed catchphrase “lovely jubbly” making an unexpected return in an inappropriate place.

Now the firm Wholesale Clearance, which deals in bankrupt stock and discontinued lines, is hoping to make a mint by selling them as a “unique piece of jubilee history”.

Marketing them online, they have listed a job lot as “souvenir stock with slight typo mistake”.

In true Trotter fashion, the description reads: “You will notice this is probably more at home on the shelf next to Peckham Spring as these are in fact celebrating the Queen’s Platinum Jubbly!”

“These are…as you say…the Creme de la Menthe So if you are a fan of the Queen and Del Boy…two birds with one stone!”

https://inews.co.uk/news/platinum-jubbly-royal-souvenirs-sold-off-after-misprint-1436335

6 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

That is a horrible picture of the Queen. 

Agreed - the real joke is that picture! 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

My guess- that’s not the official range of commemorative china. So a cheap and quick knock off. Mistakes like this are to be expected (if it wasn’t intentional from the start) and someone had a good idea how to make money off it. 

here is the link to the official range

https://www.royalcollectionshop.co.uk/royal-residences/exhibitions/the-platinum-jubilee-celebration.html

• Upvote 1

On 2/3/2022 at 12:13 AM, adidas said:

Is it only in Australia that jubblies is slang for breasts? Ie ‘lovely jubblies’ means someone has a great rack. 

I have memories of the phrase lovely jubbly being used in "Only Fools and Horses" for something being good.

• Upvote 1

On 2/3/2022 at 5:27 AM, just_ordinary said:

My guess- that’s not the official range of commemorative china. So a cheap and quick knock off. Mistakes like this are to be expected (if it wasn’t intentional from the start) and someone had a good idea how to make money off it. 

here is the link to the official range

https://www.royalcollectionshop.co.uk/royal-residences/exhibitions/the-platinum-jubilee-celebration.html

Oh, of course it wasn’t the “official” stuff.  It was just one of probably many cheaper “unofficial” alternatives.

All the coverage I have seen says that it was a mistake and that the original company sold it cheaply to a discount clearance business.  If it was intentional, they were awfully secretive about the intent. 😉

The official stuff is, of course, much better.

4 hours ago, Seahorse Wrangler said:

I have memories of the phrase lovely jubbly being used in "Only Fools and Horses" for something being good.

Doesn't Austin Powers use "jumblies?" As is, "The fembots had machine guns in their jumblies"?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Whatever is going on behind closed palace doors, I must say that HM QEII looks great in this IG clip:

391157909_HMQEIILookingGood.thumb.jpg.1c67fcda0e1ccc3dd383217a8dd28f16.jpg

• Upvote 7

• Coconut Flan changed the title to The Queen/Prince Philip
  • samurai_sarah locked and unlocked this topic