IGNORED

The Queen/Prince Philip

viii

I think she could have made him give back his honorary titles. Just like she probably urged him to step back (or Charles made her do it or whatever). Andrew got rejected by many patronages and after his interview, this would have been a good idea. If anything he made himself look incredibly guilty. The BRF are often about appearance over substance. Which is sometimes good and sometimes not. In that case, it would be important. Him stepping back would be at least look as if he understands that he did harm (to the institution at the very least). She can spend all her time with him horse riding or at church. But easing him out of the business (if don’t want a bang) is a necessity in my opinion.

• Upvote 2

On 9/6/2021 at 11:11 PM, just_ordinary said:

I think she could have made him give back his honorary titles. Just like she probably urged him to step back (or Charles made her do it or whatever). Andrew got rejected by many patronages and after his interview, this would have been a good idea. If anything he made himself look incredibly guilty. The BRF are often about appearance over substance. Which is sometimes good and sometimes not. In that case, it would be important. Him stepping back would be at least look as if he understands that he did harm (to the institution at the very least). She can spend all her time with him horse riding or at church. But easing him out of the business (if don’t want a bang) is a necessity in my opinion.

I think the reason the Queen won’t take away the military titles may be that to do so would be like announcing she thought he was guilty before he has been found guilty of anything.  However, I agree that he is an embarrassment to the crown.  The best thing would be for him to resign those honorary positions on his own, but apparently Andrew doesn’t see it that way and the queen doesn’t want to push it.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

I think the reason the Queen won’t take away the military titles may be that to do so would be like announcing she thought he was guilty before he has been found guilty of anything.  However, I agree that he is an embarrassment to the crown.  The best thing would be for him to resign those honorary positions on his own, but apparently Andrew doesn’t see it that way and the queen doesn’t want to push it.

Exactly. I get why they don’t want to give the impression they think he is guilty when they very probably (a) don’t think it /hope he is not and (b) there is no court ruling he his. It must be him resigning/stepping back. If he had only half of the commitment his parents showed to the institution, he would have done so, no matter if he still thinks he did nothing wrong and feels it’s unfair. Taking on for the team doesn’t seem to be in his dictionary.

“… it felt like the honourable thing to do.” Geeeeez, that would have been a better combination with that sentence.

Edited by just_ordinary
  • Upvote 1

I saw the Operation London Bridge thing the last time it was leaked, and hated it because it points out that this could be happening any day.  QE is apparently extremely healthy, but she is in her mid 90's; unexpected things happen every day.  

I have always seen it said that Andrew was/is her favorite; he seems the opposite of his siblings by being more outgoing with a  huge grin.  I know her heart hurts that he has done this horrible thing.

• Upvote 4

He was her tried for much wanted new baby after so many years, the first one she got to really dote on. He was also the cheeky naughty one in contrast to Edwards sweeter nature so as they say the quick wheel  gets greased. I would say he certainly has a special place in heart.  

23 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

Exactly. I get why they don’t want to give the impression they think he is guilty when they very probably (a) don’t think it /hope he is not and (b) there is no court ruling he his. It must be him resigning/stepping back. If he had only half of the commitment his parents showed to the institution, he would have done so, no matter if he still thinks he did nothing wrong and feels it’s unfair. Taking on for the team doesn’t seem to be in his dictionary.

“… it felt like the honourable thing to do.” Geeeeez, that would have been a better combination with that sentence.

I finally watched the whole interview of Andrew, despite not really having much interest in Andrew ever, because of how it seems to be affecting responses to the Queen and the rest of the Royals.  My main impression was that he was either badly prepped by his people or he didn’t listen to the advice of those who know.

It seems to me that most of what he said was not a problem but that how he said it was,  (The exceptions were his failure to say he regretted his friendship with Epstein and his weird explanation for why he stayed at Epstein’s house when he was supposedly ending their friendship.)  In any case, the interview seems to illustrate why the royals usually do not speak up on what we could call “personal matters.” They very rarely do so effectively.

Back to the Queen, I could see why she might feel that Andrew is being wrongly accused and does not want to hurt/shame him further by asking him to give up his military appointments.  This is not an “open and shut” case where Andrew’s guilt is obvious.  It is very much a “guilt by association” (with Epstein) and a she said/he said when it comes to the civil case by Virginia Giuffre.  (Note: I am not defending Andrew.  I am pointing out that the case against Andrew has not been conclusively proven. If it ever is, and the Queen still seems to protect Andrew, that would be another issue.)

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, EmCatlyn said:

My main impression was that he was either badly prepped by his people or he didn’t listen to the advice of those who know.

From what I can remember, Andrew didn't listen to the advice of those around him who urged him not to do the interview. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

• 1 month later...

The long-withheld 1969 documentary Royal Family is on YouTube. See it before the Queen's lawyers do! While I was watching illegally uploaded royal documentaries, I saw "Prince Philip: The Royal Family Remembers," which turned out to have a lot of uncredited clips from the 1969 documentary.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 3

That blue giraffe ballon in the Christmas Eve section is  still there according to William which is lovely in my opinion. Looks like Andrew was always a pill as well. 

23 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

The long-withheld 1969 documentary Royal Family is on YouTube. See it before the Queen's lawyers do! While I was watching illegally uploaded royal documentaries, I saw "Prince Philip: The Royal Family Remembers," which turned out to have a lot of uncredited clips from the 1969 documentary.

Thanks for this! Only saw the first 10 minutes or so, but it sure seems as though The Crown had a bootleg copy of this available for study purposes. 

Looking forward to watching the rest.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

Feeling a bit concerned for the Queen and her health. Seems she's on bed rest. https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/oct/20/queen-cancels-northern-ireland-trip-and-told-to-rest

This coming a week after she was seen using a walking stick, though admittedly with uneven flooring. I figure it must be pretty bad for her to be doing so. She seems to have a lot of pride in being able to carry out her duties. I recall previous posters saying they thought she might struggle more after Prince Philip's death, and perhaps we're seeing proof of that now.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, FrumperedCat said:

Feeling a bit concerned for the Queen and her health. Seems she's on bed rest. https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/oct/20/queen-cancels-northern-ireland-trip-and-told-to-rest

This coming a week after she was seen using a walking stick, though admittedly with uneven flooring. I figure it must be pretty bad for her to be doing so. She seems to have a lot of pride in being able to carry out her duties. I recall previous posters saying they thought she might struggle more after Prince Philip's death, and perhaps we're seeing proof of that now.

I hope she gets better.  At her age, anything can become serious.

• Upvote 2

She's also had a year and a half of 'rest' where she hasn't done a lot of in-person engagements so she might find returning to normal schedule more tiring. Hope she recovers quickly, I'd love to see her hit 100. 

• Upvote 9

Hoping she gets some rest and can bounce back again! The fact that they’re even sharing these updates make it seem liked it probably much more serious than they’re saying.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 3

I don’t know that a 95 year old woman can bounce back to much degree and it’s unrealistic to expect her too keep going as she has.  Her life and Era is nearing it’s end and Like her husbands it been an very active, very useful and very full privileged life.   I think also think living this long  is a mixed blessing and she ready to be reunited with Her Parents, sister , husband and all the other family and friends she has lost. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

My mother is in a retirement community.  I visit regularly and there is not a single person living there who could keep up with the Queen's schedule.  I know only one over 90 who still drives and walks a mile and a half almost every day.  Lately she's been telling me how hard it is to get her walk done.  I'm not at all surprised the Queen is beginning to hit a wall on activity.  

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 5
  • Love 7

I mean, it’s surprise she doesn’t seem to be confused when talking to people. You can keep the physical side up and running (medication, physiotherapy, muscle training, hearing aids….) to a certain extent but the mind is a very different matter. 
My guess- she fell. Very common for old people. Would explain a testing and observing 24h period in hospital, walking with a cane and reducing her schedule further and further. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

I mean she very well may be getting foggy and forgetful as It’s a normal part of being that elderly be you Common or Queen.  They probably are not going to telling us everything like we didn’t know William had COVID Till after the fact.

• Upvote 1

Personally, I think she should abdicate. Do a handover of power while she's still alive, smooth the transition. In the Netherlands, it's been done multiple times in recent history. The Emperor of Japan abdicated in 2019, giving the crown to his son. The monarchies of Belgium and Spain have also abdicated to the next generation in recent years. No one would think less of the Queen if she decided to pass on the crown to Phillip while still alive.

• I Agree 3

She has been said to look scornfully at “Bicycle monarchies” and every time a British monarch has not died on the throne it’s been aberration and had caused historical ramifications. 

However If she has a stroke or developed dementia Charles will step in a regent till he properly becomes King. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, keen23 said:

Personally, I think she should abdicate. Do a handover of power while she's still alive, smooth the transition. In the Netherlands, it's been done multiple times in recent history. The Emperor of Japan abdicated in 2019, giving the crown to his son. The monarchies of Belgium and Spain have also abdicated to the next generation in recent years. No one would think less of the Queen if she decided to pass on the crown to Phillip while still alive.

Yeah, that’s just not how it’s done. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1

My hope for the queen is that when it's her time that she goes quickly.  I hope she doesn't have a slow descent into incapability, but rather a quick, decisive end.  I think that fits her personality and would be easier on the family and the country.  Of course, none of us get to choose our course, but I'll hope for her to go that way.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

Right now she’s motivated to get to February and an unprecedented seventy years on the throne. She may decline after that. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

• Coconut Flan changed the title to The Queen/Prince Philip
  • samurai_sarah locked and unlocked this topic