IGNORED

Maxwell 53: Escaping the Borg by Marriage. Who'd Have Thought Sarah?

Coconut Flan

30 minutes ago, ClareDeLune said:

Sorry, I was skim reading in excitement, I can see now you already posted that one :)

It was fundiefan who posted this link earlier, can't believe we all missed out back in April on the begging letter for Mary's trip https://faithconnector.s3.amazonaws.com/opendoorinfo/downloads/04032022_bulletin.pdf

Don't worry about it!  I was so damn excited last night, it even took me a while to fall asleep.  

• Haha 8

https://www.facebook.com/trinityelreno/videos/5072438652874361/  This is the Sunday service after the camp and  Kory comes on at 52.30  & starts by saying Sarah was way more popular with the camp kids than with him. Then at 56.00 a woman mentions Kory and Sarah's engagement.

I watched a terrible 3 July service first where they explained in a childrens talk how America is the greatest country in the world, and how it was born on 4 July, so there is a lot of WTF there, but I like the way this Kory guy is at least telling the teens they are secure in God and noone can separate them. After Steve, he is at least smug about Jesus in a reassuring way instead of a scary way.

The whole religious part feels alien to me, but as a group of people they seem in some ways like a big family. There is someone with a very average voice who plays a guitar and sings Happy Birthday and Happy anniversary to people at the start of

every week 😂, and there is a slightly grumpy leader who complains about numbers in Sunday school, and the lady in the video above tells everyone how all the kids were arguing a lot at camp.  And it must be nice for Sarah to be somewhere that accepts people as they are and deals with problems without the coldness and fearmongering of her father.

Edited by ClareDeLune
  • Upvote 16
  • Thank You 6

I think Sarah’s lengthy concussion protocol probably helped her realize some truths, in concert with the pastor. But the pastor was for sure key, in all of it. Steve of course has to claim that it was his leading them back to a brick and mortal church— that god led him. But from there I’m sure there were a number of church members who were honestly horrified by the level of insularity in the family. Anna and Mary who love to work with these kids but have absolutely no post secondary education. Bunkbeds and shared rooms. Family Bible time every night. It’s so much WTF. I still wish the absolutely lovely looking woman from their church would come here and let us in on some of it. She went there for Christmas, in jeans and a striped turtleneck, baked cookies, took a walk. Another time when Anna was apparently down she brought over coffee for Anna— and Sarah. I’m not a Christian, but this woman appeared to be doing the work, being the hands and feet of Jesus. No judgement. Just love. People do grow in love. 

• Upvote 26
  • Confused 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, FiveAcres said:

I wouldn't mind those OXO Long Reach Dusting System myself. I've had good luck with the OXO brand items I've tried and those ceiling fans won't dust themselves!

I have that OXO dusting system and it does a good job on the fans and my high plant shelves. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 5

45 minutes ago, Bethy said:

The Baptist churches I've been part of have been very persnickety about leadership (pastor and deacons) being "the husband of one wife" so divorced men aren't welcome in leadership. (I've never been in a Southern Baptist Church, which seems to be Trinity's flavor, so their mileage may vary.)

IFB is more likely to be picky about this than Southern Baptist.  SBC churches are more likely to take the "biblically divorced" position (if she cheated, divorce is legit.  Most also recognize abuse as grounds for divorce.)  

Some are super strict and take "husband of one wife" super literally to mean only ever married to one women (some say even if widowed).  Others, and this is the most common understanding outside of super fundie circles, take it as "faithful to his wife".  So cheating would disqualify from being a pastor, but divorce wouldn't necessarily. 

He could also be widowed.  

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 4

Sarah has an instagram account.  Unfortunately, it is private.  Psalm62vs1 is the name it is under. I wonder if we'll get any sort of update or mention on the blog.  Even just a wedding party picture would be nice!

• Upvote 11
  • Thank You 1

Jana Duggar will probably go to Sarah’s wedding. Let’s just hope she posts at least one picture with the bride on Instagram. 

• Upvote 17

Oh boy!  I think word is already out that we know.  Her FB page is even more locked down, and now the post announcing her engagement is not showing, as well as no relationship status.  

• Upvote 12

5 minutes ago, Fun-Dee said:

Oh boy!  I think word is already out that we know.  Her FB page is even more locked down, and now the post announcing her engagement is not showing, as well as no relationship status.  

Well it’s too late now. We have all the info we need!

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 4

Very random comment- but do you think Mary was there with Sarah? The face paint on those kids faces looks like here style. I don't know if the dates would have worked with her travels though. 

• Upvote 4

Anna has been in a lot of camp pics posted by ABC. She probably hasn’t been home since ABC’s camp started. 

• Upvote 5

I have never been so gobsmacked in all my life. 😳This  is a day that will go down in FJ history for sure. 

Congratulations, Sarah! 💐

• Upvote 19
  • Love 6

Just imagine living like a teenager at home until you’re 39. Then finally moving out on your own, finding an occupation at church you enjoy, and getting married. All after almost 4 decades of living under your dad’s control. It feels like her life really started when she moved out. Now she may end up with a kid or two and a completely different life. 

• Upvote 24
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Loveday said:

I have never been so gobsmacked in all my life. 😳This  is a day that will go down in FJ history for sure. 

Since my early days here at FJ, there was strong belief and even worry that forever SAHD-hood was in the cards for Sarah.   But no one ever dreamed in a million years that Steveovah would finally let go enough to allow his daughters to leave the compound and actually live on their own and go to college either.

Whatever it took for Steve to let go, he must have been under serious pressure because he certainly was one to believe he was always, always right. 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 20

58 minutes ago, Fun-Dee said:

Sarah has an instagram account.  Unfortunately, it is private.  Psalm62vs1 is the name it is under. I wonder if we'll get any sort of update or mention on the blog.  Even just a wedding party picture would be nice!

She seems to have updated her bio and she mentions Kory. I hope she’s happy with him.

Edited by NCLunaLovegoodFan
Grammar
  • Upvote 13

Well, this is the best thing I've seen since I've been following the Maxwells (approximately twenty years, my dd was a toddler and she's 22 now).  I'm just so happy for Sarah, especially after watching the video where she just seems so damn happy and NORMAL!  I thought that poor woman would be dusting ceiling fans and writing the world's most boring children's books for the rest of her life. 

Go SARAH! 

• Upvote 23
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Love 1

If Steve and Terri don't post something about Sarah's engagement, it just confirms to me that their daughter's new "seasons of life" weren't entered on with their parents' love and support, but because these women finally escaped the cult. That everything that the Maxwells shill about how to raise kids is patently wrong, even if you are a conservative Christian.

Also, I never doubted that Sarah could still get married if she wanted to.  I still strongly believe that Steve turned down courtship offers years ago.  He almost robbed her of a life, and I hope deep down all the Maxwells know it.

• Upvote 33
  • I Agree 7

13 minutes ago, fundiewatch said:

No need to apologize! This is a fast moving storyline. Unlike the Moody books. 

Marrying Moodies!!

• Upvote 4
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • Haha 27

Will her father perform the wedding? Isn’t this the one who talks about his vasectomy reversal at wedding ceremonies?

what a surprise to see these women move on after such a stunted upbringing. Good for them!  … now if Teri could get some help for her depression that they treat with strict schedules and such that would be great too! (I hope I’m remembering my maxwell history properly)

• Upvote 17

They do a lot of dancing at that church it seems. I am very interested to see how much she’ll reign herself in for Maxwell attendance

• Upvote 18

1 hour ago, Fun-Dee said:

That might be partly my fault. I accidentally liked the engagement announcement post when I was picking up my phone this morning. I immediately unliked it and I'm probably not the only one, but that's the kind of thing that lets people know that others are paying attention. Oops.

• Upvote 6

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic