IGNORED

Josh and Anna 53: 151 Month Sentence

Coconut Flan

8 hours ago, marmalade said:

Smuggar told the investigators that he dabbled in Real Estate. I wonder how many properties he owns? Certainly, Anna can sell off some to support herself and pay the fine. The judge seems to think that he can pay the fine, at any rate. 

Paying the fine is not the issue.  I was talking about her supporting herself if she left the Duggar compound.  Unless Josh has a lot of rental property that will provide Anna with a decent income, I don’t see her being able to manage with 7 kids and no real marketable skills.

But it’s possible that he has a lot of real estate property and that would be great if it gives Anna some options.  Next to “how will she support the Ms,” the big question has got to be whether she will move herself and the kids to be able to visit Josh as often as possible.

• Upvote 5

8 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Her parents are old to leave with 7 kids some of whom are very young. 

The Kellers might feel she owes the Duggars or should stay where she is.

I haven’t seen or heard anything that suggests the Kellers want Anna to come live with them, and I don’t think they have the resources to provide for her and the kids.  My guess is they are advising/encouraging her to stay with the Duggars.

Remember how JB used to talk about “leave and cleave” after marriage?  He didn’t really mean it when it came to his own brood, but I think Papa Keller does believe that when the kids grow up and marry, they are on their own.

If Anna had a supportive family in Florida and could afford to move there, I would be all for her leaving the Duggar compound.  As it is, I only see her moving to be closer to Josh’s prison, wherever it might be.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2

8 hours ago, BensAllergies said:

I thought it was a done deal that Anna and the kids would stay at the warehouse forever, but now I’m not so sure. The family does not show a united front not even between JB and Anna.

I think that might be the best option for now. Instead of uprooting the kids,  a  Duggar pilot can fly her to visit Josh at his new digs. 

• Upvote 6

Does it seem like the sentencing results are getting less attention on FJ than we would have thought? Seems like the board is slow moving despite some pretty big news in Duggar land. Is there another thread where people are commenting more?

• Upvote 6

Sounds fabulous especially if Josh gets put into a majority sex offender prison. Yep let’s bring little kids to visit that prison. I bet McKenzie and Micheal learn real quick what it is like to have your skin crawl… 

I could not imagine parading my children around in front of a bunch of pedos. Just so they could see their pedo dad. 

he should be banned from having under 18 visitors that’s what happens her in Oz. You have to jump through hoops to have exceptions made for your own children 

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 1

IANAL, but one reason I think the sentence works is because it isn’t so steep that it might give cause for appeal citing something like the judge giving excessive time because he has a vendetta against the Duggars. It isn’t the longest sentence ever given in cases like this, and the judge backed up all his reasoning with facts. Judge also states something like Duggar will still be a young man upon release and I take that to mean Josh still has time to turn his life around if he wanted to. 

I definitely agree JB and Meech thought, hoped, marriage would “fix” Josh. They really thought it was that simple. Also agree that it’s all about the opticals for them, keeping their image squeaky clean to keep the money rolling in.

I can believe that Anna signed a NDA. It may have even been as early as some of her first appearances on 19KAC, and then revised and updated every time she needed more assistance from JB after each of Josh’s scandals. It would fit in with JB’s need to control.

Edited by Cam
  • Upvote 19
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, AussieKrissy said:

I could not imagine parading my children around in front of a bunch of pedos. Just so they could see their pedo dad. 

Never. I recently watched Capturing The Freidmans.  Arnold's lawyer described his disgust with Arnold's comments in the visiting room where there were young children.  

But that won't stop Anna.

Edited by Anne Of Gray Gables
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

https://www.nwahomepage.com/josh-duggar-trial/a-closer-look-at-josh-duggars-sentencing/

CC McCandless is a Arkansas reporter who has been writing about Duggar's case since he was charged. This article details how the judge explains the mitigating and aggravating circumstances that went into the sentence. I don't think the article is triggering beyond the basic content of Josh's offenses. 

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 15

I've been so careful to avoid all mentions of details of what Josh looked for/saw, and have been "spoiled" twice, once about something to do with his sisters and once yesterday, at another place (not Reddit,) where someone posted a link and then instead of warning, "there's gross stuff there," added a quotation from it, that I was so wholly unprepared for, it's haunting me. And it wasn't even all that specific. The person who posted it would probably suggest it's right for us to know the sort of thing he and others looked at, that someone else created, but I don't think I agree. Anyway, not this week, and definitely not without warning. 

I'm saying all that to say that I think the pace here is just about right, at this time. People talked a lot about what they hoped for and expected with the sentencing, and then about the little bits we know of the outcome. There's a lot more to follow, but one of our main interests here is how the different family members cope with varying situations, and we don't know now, might not ever with many of them, the details of that. 

I will add that until yesterday, I also did not know much of the detail of what goes into various incarnations of tater tot casserole, and I am reaffirming my personal horror over it. I'm perfectly content knowing other people like to combine a lot of things together that don't seem to me to go together, and bake it with cheese on top. But I would like to not see any more of it on a plate. 🙂

• Upvote 13
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Jacked said:

Do we know why?

I have thoughts, but don't know for sure.

My speculation would be that A) he saw the sinking IBLP ship for what it is, B. he wanted to make sure his family was taken care of with a steady income, and C) he was tired of waiting to become a big shot and decided to strike out on his own. But none of that is confirmed, it's just in my own head.

Edited by samurai_sarah
double post
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Anne Of Gray Gables said:

Never. I recently watched Capturing The Freidmans.  Arnold's lawyer described his disgust with Arnold's comments in the visiting room where there were young children.  

But that won't stop Anna.

Man I watched that in 2004 and haven’t seen it since! It’s the documentary that got me into documentaries. I should watch it again. The documentary that almost got me to hate documentaries is Dear Zachary. Don’t ever watch that one. Unless you want your week completely ruined. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

13 hours ago, snickerz said:

4. The Defendant shall not purchase, possess, use, distribute, or administer marijuana or obtain or possess a medical marijuana card or prescription. If the Defendant is currently in possession of a medical marijuana card, he will turn it over immediately to the probation office.

~Why is this included in his sentencing document?

So we put that in all of our Probation conditions. You are not allowed to use mood effecting agents, including alcohol, even if legal, while on Probation. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 5

Unless Anna has an epiphany, I doubt she's going anywhere.  She chose to stay with a disgusting man over protecting her kids.  If she had her way, he'd be living in the house and she would be making more babies.  She's not strong enough to make it on her own.  No one is going to force her to work.  It goes against everything they believe in.  She is supposed to stay home and take care of the kids.  They'll support her, watch her kids, and keep her calm.  If they don't, she has enough dirt on that family to bring them all down worse than they are now.  

• Upvote 37

Today’s social media climate makes it seem like everyone must immediately air their thoughts on everything. For the Duggar siblings, the sentencing is a lot to process. They’re not required or obligated to publicly share their immediate reactions or thoughts. Nor do they ever have to. Some of them may be waiting to hear where Josh will do prison time before they make any statement. Or may never make a statement. I think they all have a bundle of feelings that need sorted out and dealt with privately. Plus they are busy living their own lives. This is a chapter in their stories but they don’t want to make it the main event. I bet there’s some relief for them to get this far in the process. 

• Upvote 45
  • I Agree 4

4 minutes ago, Cam said:

Today’s social media climate makes it seem like everyone must immediately air their thoughts on everything. For the Duggar siblings, the sentencing is a lot to process. They’re not required or obligated to publicly share their immediate reactions or thoughts. Nor do they ever have to. Some of them may be waiting to hear where Josh will do prison time before they make any statement. Or may never make a statement. I think they all have a bundle of feelings that need sorted out and dealt with privately. Plus they are busy living their own lives. This is a chapter in their stories but they don’t want to make it the main event. I bet there’s some relief for them to get this far in the process. 

I agree with this completely. They owe us nothing. But for whatever reason they often feel compelled to make statements, probably partially due to a life in the public eye and partially due to general social media culture. I hope they know they don’t owe the public anything. 

• Upvote 8

I think the 12.5 years was a solid sentence. Working in the justice system I’ve seen people get very harsh sentences and very lenient ones and I think this judge did a good job with all the considerations.

I think the 20 years of Probation will be the real struggle for Josh and I won’t be shocked if he end up back in jail on a VOP. Those federal POs are going to have him locked down pretty tight when he’s released. He might even go to a halfway house at first to “reintegrate” him into society. 

• Upvote 41
  • I Agree 1

12 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Remember the old episodes where the oldest girls were all Single and answering what they want in a future husband? They all said slow to anger. I always assumed that was because their dad was so quick to anger and they didn’t want a husband like that. 

In their first book, JB admitted having an anger problem, and he and the kids came up with the system of touching his arm as a way of saying “Dad, you’re getting angry.”

• Upvote 3
  • Disgust 4
  • Sad 4
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 1

14 hours ago, FunDieDumDum said:

Well, then, little Joshly had better get to work in prison! Even on the pittance prison job salary, he ought to be able to manage that in 10-11 years’ time.

https://prisonerresource.com/inmate-work-assignments-federal-prison/ 

"Generally speaking, most federal inmates can expect to earn between $10 and $25 per month, with the lower end of this scale being far more common."

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 5

4 minutes ago, xenobia said:

The Dillards posted a response to yesterdays events in court. Not sure if it should be here or in the Dillard thread. 

Link: https://www.dillardfamily.com/2022/05/our-response-to-joshs-sentencing/

The statement, in case you don't want to click on links: 

Hide contents

Yesterday we learned that Josh was given a 151 month sentence in federal prison for his crime of CSAM. The last several weeks and months have been difficult emotionally. Yesterday was another one of those hard days. We are neither rejoicing nor disappointed by the sentence, but we are thankful it’s finally over. The Bible clearly states that God effects justice and vengeance through the governing authorities. Though some believe Josh should have received a greater sentence and still fewer believe he should have received a lighter sentence, God has carried out his vengeance today for his unspeakable criminal activity. Until now, he has yet to be held accountable to the extent necessary to cause change in his dangerous pattern of behavior. It is unfortunate, but it seems that it may take spending over a decade in federal prison, and still more on probation, for Josh to have any potential for rehabilitation to the point he can safely live in society again. Hopefully, Josh can actually begin to get treatment and begin to work toward a lifestyle where he is less likely to reoffend. If for nothing else, the notoriety of this case has hopefully contributed to the deterrence of potential offenders and will help protect children by decreasing the demand for CSAM. We continue to love Josh and his family and will be there for them however we can.

Beautiful statement. 

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 18

18 minutes ago, xenobia said:

The Dillards posted a response to yesterdays events in court. Not sure if it should be here or in the Dillard thread. 

Link: https://www.dillardfamily.com/2022/05/our-response-to-joshs-sentencing/

The statement, in case you don't want to click on links: 

Hide contents

Yesterday we learned that Josh was given a 151 month sentence in federal prison for his crime of CSAM. The last several weeks and months have been difficult emotionally. Yesterday was another one of those hard days. We are neither rejoicing nor disappointed by the sentence, but we are thankful it’s finally over. The Bible clearly states that God effects justice and vengeance through the governing authorities. Though some believe Josh should have received a greater sentence and still fewer believe he should have received a lighter sentence, God has carried out his vengeance today for his unspeakable criminal activity. Until now, he has yet to be held accountable to the extent necessary to cause change in his dangerous pattern of behavior. It is unfortunate, but it seems that it may take spending over a decade in federal prison, and still more on probation, for Josh to have any potential for rehabilitation to the point he can safely live in society again. Hopefully, Josh can actually begin to get treatment and begin to work toward a lifestyle where he is less likely to reoffend. If for nothing else, the notoriety of this case has hopefully contributed to the deterrence of potential offenders and will help protect children by decreasing the demand for CSAM. We continue to love Josh and his family and will be there for them however we can.

I especially like the part that I bolded. No, he was never held accountable and yes, one can hope he changes and gets the treatment he needs. 

• Upvote 18
  • Love 1

33 minutes ago, Freejin said:

I agree with this completely. They owe us nothing. But for whatever reason they often feel compelled to make statements, probably partially due to a life in the public eye and partially due to general social media culture. I hope they know they don’t owe the public anything. 

Although with that said, JB and Michelle DO owe the public a statement. Their children don’t but they sure as hell do. 

• Upvote 14
  • Eyeroll 1
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 2

35 minutes ago, smittykins said:

In their first book, JB admitted having an anger problem, and he and the kids came up with the system of touching his arm as a way of saying “Dad, you’re getting angry.”

I have a feeling everyone still at home is staying far away from JB right now. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 13
  • Love 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic