IGNORED

Jeremiah & Hannah 2: Flight Instructor Jeremiah Married Hannah Wissman: Exclusive to US!

nelliebelle1197

Gender reveals (and babyshowers) were never a thing here. Now since a few years all of a sudden they pop up.

I still try to avoid them, especially in the cases where the couple already knows the gender and just have the reveal for the ‘audience’. I really don’t care enough.

When we found out I called my parents and sister and texted my friends. Also, I asked them not to organize a babyshower since I usually think they are boring for anyone else than the mom to be and I did not want to do that to my friends 😅 

• Upvote 5

On 10/14/2022 at 9:10 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I knew this when I was pregnant. I had seen the showers of friends and there were gobs and gobs of clothing exclusively for one sex. I was glad we chose not to find out because we got less clothing as gifts and the clothing we did get was very neutral. Which made me happy because I knew I would probably have a second baby. And that baby could wear the gender neutral stuff. Plus I could give the baby stuff away to anyone because it was gender neutral. I gave a bunch to a friend who had a baby girl even though I had boys. I’m a practical person by nature. So this was a good option for us. 

This. Part of the reason we chose to leave Older Son as a mystery until birth was because we knew we'd probably have at least one more and wanted to reuse stuff.  Every shower I've ever been to where the sex was known was a sea of pink or a pile of "Tough Guy" onesies. Also, I'm not a fan of heavily-gendered stuff. The only baby outfit we ever got that I didn't even take the tags off of was one we got for Baby Girl: "Daddy's Little Princess" and sparkles on the onesie, pink pants with a tulle ruffle all the way around so it wasn't even practical. Not my style!

You know, I don't think I'm the right audience for any kind of gender reveal party! :laughing-jumpingpurple:

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

I didn't want to announce the sex of our daughter, but my husband is a blabbermouth and was very excited.  He told EVERYONE.  We are still swimming in dresses from extended family and he loves to put her in them.  She is adamantly against the bows so there are none of those, and I insist on her wearing more gender neutral clothing at least half the time.  Pants are just sensible when you're a toddler.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 7

On 1 side of our family there are 11 cousins between the ages of 40-24. 9 are married and 8 of those have kids. Between those 8 kids there are 17 children (ages 9yrs-18months). NONE of those families had a gender reveal. My daughter and 1 of her cousins (4 kids total between them)were the only families that did not announce the sex of their babies before birth.

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

I didn't want to announce the sex of our daughter, but my husband is a blabbermouth and was very excited.  He told EVERYONE.  We are still swimming in dresses from extended family and he loves to put her in them.  She is adamantly against the bows so there are none of those, and I insist on her wearing more gender neutral clothing at least half the time.  Pants are just sensible when you're a toddler.

I feel like this is my *hopeful* future- we've been trying for over a year now without any success.

I personally would want to know for ourselves, but not tell anybody else for the reasons other posters have mentioned- not getting inundated with gendered clothing/toys. But my husband gets so excited and talks, that I'm not sure that will be a possibility for us! I think I'd rather not know at all, then know and have everyone know, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 27

We tried for two years with one early miscarriage before we conceived our daughter. *hugs* It's so hard, I couldn't be mad at him for such genuine excitement.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 15

My niece was the second grandchild in both families as well as the first girl, and so I vowed to never buy her any pink clothing. I was under the assumption that everyone else in the world would get her pink stuff and when I finally got to visit, she was 3 months old and her closet was 90% pink, so I've stuck to my pledge for most of her 18 years.  There was one exception; when she was about a year old I bought her a pink outfit with a giant bear face on the behind because I couldn't resist the chance to make "bear butt" jokes, but that was the sole exception. 

Family lore says when she was brought home from the hospital, there was a tiny pink bow glued* to her head by the nurses. When the family pets were introduced to the new baby, one of the cats walked over and smacked that stupid bow off with his paw (and cemented his status of coolest cat). I'm not a fan of hats and watching the Duggars constantly put bows and bands on baby girls' heads really soured me on bows on babies. But of course, I also don't feel a need to establish a baby's gender to the world, whereas the Duggars felt compelled to keep adorning each girl's head until her hair grew long enough to clearly indicate "this is a girl". 

*Just a dab of skin adhesive, no nurse put real glue on a newborn. 

• Upvote 5
  • WTF 1
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, shesinsane said:

My niece was the second grandchild in both families as well as the first girl, and so I vowed to never buy her any pink clothing. I was under the assumption that everyone else in the world would get her pink stuff and when I finally got to visit, she was 3 months old and her closet was 90% pink, so I've stuck to my pledge for most of her 18 years.  There was one exception; when she was about a year old I bought her a pink outfit with a giant bear face on the behind because I couldn't resist the chance to make "bear butt" jokes, but that was the sole exception. 

Family lore says when she was brought home from the hospital, there was a tiny pink bow glued* to her head by the nurses. When the family pets were introduced to the new baby, one of the cats walked over and smacked that stupid bow off with his paw (and cemented his status of coolest cat). I'm not a fan of hats and watching the Duggars constantly put bows and bands on baby girls' heads really soured me on bows on babies. But of course, I also don't feel a need to establish a baby's gender to the world, whereas the Duggars felt compelled to keep adorning each girl's head until her hair grew long enough to clearly indicate "this is a girl". 

My mom said it was common to use corn syrup as glue to stick a bow on a baby’s head in the 80s. 

• Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 3
  • WTF 1

9 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

My mom said it was common to use corn syrup as glue to stick a bow on a baby’s head in the 80s. 

Never tried it. We didn’t put stuff in our daughter’s hair until she was old enough to  request it.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Never tried it. We didn’t put stuff in our daughter’s hair until she was old enough to  request it.

My boys looked so good in hats. I would take them for walks in their cute little hats and people would go crazy over them. They were baldies so hats were a must for the sun.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

5 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

My boys looked so good in hats. I would take them for walks in their cute little hats and people would go crazy over them. They were baldies so hats were a must for the sun.

My kids wouldn’t have kept a hat on- they also had wispy, fair hair. Now, they both have really thick, beautiful hair. My dad has a good head of hair, they are lucky. My maternal GF was bald. My brothers are bald. I have lots of baby fine hair- We struck out on the hair gene.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, shesinsane said:

Okay - yes - Coolest Cat Ever. 

I have a friend who had a surprise baby after three boys and a vasectomy. We had a small shower for her after Baby Girl made her appearance and I didn't go nutso on the pink. I did find the sweetest little top/dress that was while eyelet - just enough feminine without screaming PINK at anyone. (I figured Mom might want a tiny bit of "girl clothes" after three boys and thinking she was done). 
But I mostly try to find the not pink things when buying for babies because I assume everyone else will get that stuff. 

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

My kids wouldn’t have kept a hat on- they also had wispy, fair hair. Now, they both have really thick, beautiful hair. My dad has a good head of hair, they are lucky. My maternal GF was bald. My brothers are bald. I have lots of baby fine hair- We struck out on the hair gene.

On my dad’s side of the family, every man looks like Mr Clean. My boys have no chance. They will also be Mr. Cleans by the time they are 45. 

8 minutes ago, Meggo said:

Okay - yes - Coolest Cat Ever. 

I have a friend who had a surprise baby after three boys and a vasectomy. We had a small shower for her after Baby Girl made her appearance and I didn't go nutso on the pink. I did find the sweetest little top/dress that was while eyelet - just enough feminine without screaming PINK at anyone. (I figured Mom might want a tiny bit of "girl clothes" after three boys and thinking she was done). 
But I mostly try to find the not pink things when buying for babies because I assume everyone else will get that stuff. 

Anytime I’m buying for baby girl, I try to find non pink clothing. I’ll look for lavender, peach, red, green, yellow, anything really. Because I know they will probably already have some pink stuff. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

When I had my baby shower, I registered for like zero clothing. I think we had 1-2 outfits on our registry. We did that on purpose because I knew that people would gravitate to those items on the registry, and that people would just buy cute outfits. I got quite a few outfits lol and got most of the stuff on my registry since there wasn't clothes to pick from! We only had to buy the more high ticket items like the stroller and baby carrier. I think we spent maybe $600? $400 of that being the baby carrier and travel system

• Upvote 2

On 10/19/2022 at 9:22 AM, front hugs > duggs said:

I feel like this is my *hopeful* future- we've been trying for over a year now without any success.

I personally would want to know for ourselves, but not tell anybody else for the reasons other posters have mentioned- not getting inundated with gendered clothing/toys. But my husband gets so excited and talks, that I'm not sure that will be a possibility for us! I think I'd rather not know at all, then know and have everyone know, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

I have friends who knew (and were friends with their ultrasound tech so she knew) but the ONLY person they told -was a guy on a fishing charter 8 hours away. They figured he'd be safe and let them SAY something to someone. 

Me - I'd be the blabber mouth. Hubs says we would never make it as a family of bank robbers because I can't keep a secret (and neither can kiddo) 

• Haha 8

• 2 months later...

Glad to see that now the new parents seem to take a few days for themselves to bond with the baby and to recover before posting/announcing the birth. Yeah I know that there aren't exclusives anymore to sell to magazines (also because who would care so much about the birth of yet another baby in this family, especially from one of the lost boys) anyway a nice change 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1

I’m just pointing this out here as I did in the other thread. Mitch and Bryn Bontrager had a baby named Brynleigh Noelle this year. And the Bontragers know the Wissmanns very well. So they know it’s the same name as their friend. 

• Upvote 5

Being a Christmas baby is hard. I know someone born on Christmas and it's not the worst, but it is complicated. I wonder if they picked the middle name before she was born. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 2

Well, my husband now shares a birthday with a Duggar. Out of family of 4, 75% of  us share a birthday with a Duggar!

• Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 5

39 minutes ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Being a Christmas baby is hard. I know someone born on Christmas and it's not the worst, but it is complicated. I wonder if they picked the middle name before she was born. 

Noelle is such a pretty name and I think it is a great middle name for a Christmas baby. 

I am not a fan of Brynley but I know a couple. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

11 minutes ago, Smee said:

Brynley Noelle is an awful name, sorry.

She is in a family with Surgeon. I will be forever grading names on a curve 😂

36 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Well, my husband now shares a birthday with a Duggar. Out of family of 4, 75% of  us share a birthday with a Duggar!

Crazy! Of the 5 of us, none of us share with a Duggar or a Bates (that we know of, JoKen #4 is a possibility). 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3

One of my kid’s classmates was named Brynn and I really like that name. I don’t like Brynley as much, but that “ley” ending is so popular now so I understand it. And a Christmas baby has to have Noelle for a middle name. Overall, a thumbs up. I’m really going soft in my old age. Probably preparing myself for accepting any crazy grandkid names I might have in the future.

• Upvote 5