IGNORED

Jeremiah & Hannah 2: Flight Instructor Jeremiah Married Hannah Wissman: Exclusive to US!

nelliebelle1197

And don't rent to relatives, either.  It never ends well.  My dad learned that the hard way in the early 80s when he rented a 2nd floor apartment in our 3-tenement home to his 20-something cousin, her then-husband and toddler son. They just returned home after her husband's honorable Marines discharge.  Trying to help family, my dad gave them a very generous break on the weekly rent.

But I knew even as a teenager there were issues with this arrangement when the cousin was outside washing her car with a hooked-up hose to the house during a city-wide water ban, my mother called her out on it as the landlord could be fined if this activity was caught by authorities, and the cousin replied "Screw you!  I'm (my dad's name's) cousin!  I can do whatever I want here!" and continued washing her car.   Shots fired.

When they finally decided to move out of the apartment they left the place a mess, including leaving multiple cigarette burns all over the living room area rug supplied by my dad, and stealing fixtures, including ripping a built-in bathroom soapdish out of the wall and filling in the large holes with wet toilet paper.  To this day, when we discuss that particular cousin, I still refer to her as Soapdish.  And the relationship between her family and my dad was severed for years after that, which was sad because her mother was an aunt my dad was quite close to.   It only became repairable after the cousin's husband left her and divorce was filed.  However, my dad may have forgiven them for their actions if only to keep the peace but trust me, he has never forgotten what happened.  The house was sold a few years later when my dad realized being a live-in landlord was not his thing and my parents purchased a single-family home that my dad still happily resides in today.  And the cousin?  Let's just say that karma has been a very big bitch to her over the last several decades. 

Edited by HeartsAFundie
  • Upvote 7

Oh, I love that you still refer to your cousin as Soapdish!

My house was originally a duplex but no way was I going to rent out half. The fact that when we first lived here it was a massive fixer upper was beneficial because we remodeled it into one house. 

Another situation to avoid: don’t be co-landlords with siblings. Me and my many brothers and sisters chose to rent out our parents’ home after they passed and none of us agreed on much and we made very little profit compared to the headaches involved. It was a slight nightmare when we finally decided to sell it, too. Many different opinions on if and what upgrades and updates to make to try and sell it. We had big disagreements on whether to accept a low offer, too, but we eventually did. What a relief when it finally sold. 

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, PsyD2013 said:

My house was a former rental property.  I got it for cheap because it needed so much work- think new roof and windows,  over grown landscaping ripped out, new deck, kitchen, bathrooms, carpet.  The basement had flooded so all the dry wall and carpet needed to go.  The appliances were trashed - I honestly don't think the stove or fridge had been deep cleaned between renters.  Evidently this place went through a different renters every year.   We did all of the work except for the walk in shower in the master bath.  The tub had a huge crack in it and  had not been used since one of the former renter's child drowned in it.  This remodel has been an on going  project for the past seven years and I'm happy to say that we laid the last square of sod yesterday.  After this experience there is no way that I could handle renting out houses, people just don't respect what isn't theirs.

A lot of this sounds like the owners' fault, though, not the tenants.' Owners are responsible for maintaining the property - including the roof, windows, maintaining the yard, ensuring that the deck and kitchen and bathroom fixtures are functional and not in disrepair.  And replacing carpet and repairing flooding in the basement. I wouldn't invest the time and money doing those things for someone else's house. I'll keep it clean, paint and let the owner know about issues and allow access for repairs, and pay for anything I break or damage, but that's about it. 

• Upvote 6

45 minutes ago, Cam said:

Oh, I love that you still refer to your cousin as Soapdish!

My house was originally a duplex but no way was I going to rent out half. The fact that when we first lived here it was a massive fixer upper was beneficial because we remodeled it into one house. 

Another situation to avoid: don’t be co-landlords with siblings. Me and my many brothers and sisters chose to rent out our parents’ home after they passed and none of us agreed on much and we made very little profit compared to the headaches involved. It was a slight nightmare when we finally decided to sell it, too. Many different opinions on if and what upgrades and updates to make to try and sell it. We had big disagreements on whether to accept a low offer, too, but we eventually did. What a relief when it finally sold. 

Good one.  My husband's brother and his wife, and sister and her husband, bought a 2-family house together in the late 80s when interest rates were sky-high and as newly married couples, didn't think they could each swing a single-family house mortgage by themselves.  Mind you, this is not a duplex where you only own half the building and that's all you are responsible for-it's a two-family tenement and everyone owns everything.  So, one family lives on the first floor and the other on the second.  All four names are on the mortgage (now paid off), deed and homeowners' insurance.  However, the SIL's family has to pay an additional fee for tenant insurance to fully insure her personal property.  Her family also has the only attic access in the building so the brother's family has to go through her apartment any time they want to enter the attic.   They all share one washer and dryer in the basement.  At one point, 8 people were living there and the septic system is only for a single family, not two families.  There is no privacy whatsoever-if one couple has an argument or trouble with their kids, the other one knows about it immediately-which means my MIL knows about it too.  Also, forget having visitors to yourself.  Finally, if one party wants to sell out, everyone has to agree to sell out or the party who wants to stay has to buy the exiting party out.  And I totally see my BIL and his wife wanting to get out and sell their "half" once they both retire so this should be interesting as to what the SIL and husband end up doing in the future.   

I refer to the arrangement as a modern-day version of Jean-Paul Sartre's "No Exit".  Hell really is other people.   

Edited by HeartsAFundie
  • Upvote 3

On 7/13/2022 at 10:09 PM, Mrs Ms said:

One house they lived in was to be demolished after they moved out, so I get that one. The one they stayed in while staying close to Josie when she was first born was not treated that great from memory. I want to say they rode a scooter or skateboard inside in the entrance/stairs area at least once. 

I’m okay with the demolished house being trashed, but a historic house?! I’m getting twitchy reading it. 

• 1 month later...

No shocker there. It was only a matter of time.

So now she’ll switch from endless wedding posts to endless pregnancy posts? 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 4

8 minutes ago, postscript said:

No shocker there. It was only a matter of time.

So now she’ll switch from endless wedding posts to endless pregnancy posts? 

A Duggar pregnancy is not much cause for excitement anymore. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 3

1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

A Duggar pregnancy is not much cause for excitement anymore. 

True, although it's surprising how few Duggars are pregnant.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Oh don’t worry I’m sure there will be more announcements. Jill just had hers, Abbie will have hers soon, Hannah announced and I’m betting Jessa and Joy will announce by the end of the year. Of course there were secret babies that were already had this year (Kendra and Lauren). So I would say that’s plenty of Duggar grandkids for 2022. 

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 3

7 minutes ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

I'm not sure I entirely believe the secret baby news.

Didn’t we recently see Kendra visibly pregnant (latest D wedding) and Joe sitting with a new baby sometime after that?

Also Jed and his wife had baby this year, right?

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

Didn’t we recently see Kendra visibly pregnant (latest D wedding) and Joe sitting with a new baby sometime after that?

Yes, Jed and his wife had Truett. And it’s very likely Kendra had a baby since there was a pic of the whole family with a baby eating at a restaurant. 

• Upvote 8

I guess the rise and grind worked.

One article I saw said they were married in March, five months after they announced their courtship. Now it’s five months later. So in 10 months they went from single to marriage to a kiss to sex to expecting a baby. I must admit, they sincerely look in love in the instagram photos of the baby announcement. I scrutinize photos all the time and they look authentic. I remember commenting how comfortable they looked with each other in the photo where they were wearing the Rise and Grind tshirts.

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Jed! (Katey) and Jill (Derick) both a baby this year. I couldn't tell if Kendra was pregnant and has had a baby. It's likely given the restaurant photos, but neither Kendra nor Lauren is confirmed. Abby is about to have a baby. Hannah is pregnant, but probably due in 2023. 

With the alleged babies, that's 5 babies, but without them, it's only 3 babies born this year and so far 1 expected in the new year. I'm not complaining since I don't anyone needs to have a baby, but it's surprising. YMMV

• Upvote 2

Kendra has three confirmed babies, qm I correct? She had 3 in 3 years so any secret baby would be dear Rufus, no baby number four?

Edited by Pecansforeveryone
Add a thought

43 minutes ago, Cam said:

I guess the rise and grind worked.

One article I saw said they were married in March, five months after they announced their courtship. Now it’s five months later. So in 10 months they went from single to marriage to a kiss to sex to expecting a baby. I must admit, they sincerely look in love in the instagram photos of the baby announcement. I scrutinize photos all the time and they look authentic. I remember commenting how comfortable they looked with each other in the photo where they were wearing the Rise and Grind tshirts.

Today I went to a medical office and that rise and grind poster was hanging on the wall. 

16 minutes ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

Kendra has three confirmed babies, qm I correct? She had 3 in 3 years so any secret baby would be dear Rufus, no baby number four?

Yes, if this baby that was photographed with K/J and their other kids belongs to them, that would make 4 in 4 years. And let’s not forget, Kendra was 23 at the time. She recently turned 24, I think. This is an insane reproductive pace.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

4 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

If we should be so lucky

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, SPHASH said:

If we should be so lucky

It would seem like more if they still had the tv show. Because then they would make a spectacle about all the pregnancies. Remember the photo shoot with all the pregnant women in 2019? But some are now being quieter on social media. So it seems like less. 

• Upvote 5

5 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

's gendeI'm not sure I entirely believe the secret baby news.

Carlin Bates had a YouTube where you could see a Christmas card from Lauren and Josiah where Lauren looked pregnant on her fridge. Plus Lauren looking possibly pregnant in Jed and Katey's gender reveal plus the lack of acknowledgemebt about the blue streak ending. 

I think it is very possible that the non-Medicorprs sibs have no interest in public announcements. the reality is any announcement is going to lead to a reference to Josh and I would nope out of it. The MediScam/influencer siblings have vested interest in staying in the public eye, the others don't.

2 hours ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

Same as Tori Bates-Smith, who just delivered number 4. Kendra and Tori seem to be in a race. 

• Upvote 10

19 minutes ago, CanadianMamam said:

Carlin Bates had a YouTube where you could see a Christmas card from Lauren and Josiah where Lauren looked pregnant on her fridge. Plus Lauren looking possibly pregnant in Jed and Katey's gender reveal plus the lack of acknowledgemebt about the blue streak ending. 

I think it is very possible that the non-Medicorprs sibs have no interest in public announcements. the reality is any announcement is going to lead to a reference to Josh and I would nope out of it. The MediScam/influencer siblings have vested interest in staying in the public eye, the others don't.

Same as Tori Bates-Smith, who just delivered number 4. Kendra and Tori seem to be in a race. 

I never noticed that. Kendra and Joe got married in Sept 2017 while Tori and Bobby got married in Dec 2017. They both had their 4th child this year. They do seem to be on a similar schedule. It will be like Kelly and Michelle. Tori is a few years older than Kendra though. 

• Upvote 9
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I never noticed that. Kendra and Joe got married in Sept 2017 while Tori and Bobby got married in Dec 2017. They both had their 4th child this year. They do seem to be on a similar schedule. It will be like Kelly and Michelle. Tori is a few years older than Kendra though. 

And both their mothers gave birth into their 40s, so they could be ferile for a long time..Kendra does have the age advantage though but it is terrifying how many children they could each have. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

7 minutes ago, CanadianMamam said:

And both their mothers gave birth into their 40s, so they could be ferile for a long time..Kendra does have the age advantage though but it is terrifying how many children they could each have. 

Kendra also doesn't have the clotting disorder and I wouldn't be surprised if Joe was more quiverfull than Bobby.

• Upvote 6