IGNORED

Jeremiah & Hannah 2: Flight Instructor Jeremiah Married Hannah Wissman: Exclusive to US!

nelliebelle1197

11 hours ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

I'm quite amazed at how many people hate the name Truett.

I honestly really like it. For some reason, of the Duggar grands, "Samuel Scott" is my favorite (he sounds like a future firefighter), but "Truett Oliver" is my second. Truett could also go by "Todd" as a nickname in a nod to his initials, which is also a very solid name.

Do you think Samuel Scott sounds like a firefighter because of fireman Sam? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fireman_Sam

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

No, but we did get the gem 'Newman Christian,' which is another name people seemingly hate, but personally I think people hate it because he's a grandRod, not because the name is actually bad.

Heistheway is ridiculous on paper, but the pronunciation is nice. We've been told it's pronounced 'Hiss-th-way,' which I think sounds like something from the 1700s, 'Oh Hiss-th-way, fetch the tea kettle, won't you?'

New-to-us is "Praise The Lord" Helferich. She married Denver Bontrager. That one just seems like a cop-out, trying to avoid "blasphemy" meanwhile her middle name is "the lord," which seems super blasphemous to me personally. I like 'Praise' as a name, but it is a hard pairing. Going through the website 'Behind the Name,' trying to find a pairing, I came across 'Bithiah.' According to the website it means 'daughter of yahweh' and that would be a good one. I'm honestly surprised it hasn't caught on among fundies more because the meaning is so good, and while obscure it is nice and could easily be nicknamed 'Beth.' On my search I also saw 'Deborah' which apparently means bee in Hebrew, and that would actually be a fun pun. "Praise Bee."

The bolded is interesting!  Haven't the Pecans got a "Deborah"? And wasn't there an incident on a Pecan-field with a "Bible-Bee" bag? 

5 hours ago, medimus said:

Do you think Samuel Scott sounds like a firefighter because of fireman Sam? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fireman_Sam

Strangely no, I've never seen that before.

21 minutes ago, Hazelbunny said:

The bolded is interesting!  Haven't the Pecans got a "Deborah"? And wasn't there an incident on a Pecan-field with a "Bible-Bee" bag? 

The Pecans do have a Deborah! I'm not familiar with that particular incident (beyond the pecan stealing) and so maybe? That would be pretty funny.

I will also add this: Deborah is their youngest and is now a year old -keep an eye out for bloomin' onion consumption because it could happen at any time, if it hasn't already; usually their spacing is 18 months to two years. Priscilla is currently 36, but her mom was nearly 43 when she had her last, so she could have four blessings still in her.

• Upvote 1

“Oh, hello, NEWman.” A child with that name would always put me in the mind of Jerry Seinfeld’s arch enemy.

Truitt isn’t bad and I think he’ll be called True which I like. Heistheway makes me gag as does Praise The Lord. 

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Uh oh! We named my son’s stuff otter “Todder otter.” So you’re telling me his name is basically pooper otter. Nice. 

don't worry! Just don't take him to Teesside! 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/4/2023 at 10:50 AM, Queeen Victoria said:

We named our daughter Eleanor, after Eleanor of Aquitane.  When she was 16 she decided she wanted to be called Nellie.  Both names are uncommon so she does feel special.

I'm actually pretty surprised that Nellie isn't getting the same level of revival as Ellie or Millie, to be honest. It's a pretty name whether it's short for something or not. Or maybe too many of us grew up with Nellie Olson from LHotP as an association?

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

On 1/7/2023 at 11:13 PM, medimus said:

He’s Samuel Jones!

On 1/8/2023 at 4:31 AM, Hazelbunny said:

In the Old Testament, Deborah is the only female Judge.

On 1/4/2023 at 3:12 AM, Cam said:

Meghan is another one. At one time, a fifth grade had six Meagans and it was a small school.  I can never remember how Megan Markle spells her first name even tho I see it in headlines all the time. Meygan? Maegyn? 

Megan and its various spellings and pronunciations is interesting to me. Here in Aus, a Megan would most likely be pronounced Mee-gan, so Meghan is a way to indicate you prefer the Meg-ann pronunciation. In the US, it seems Megan is assumed Meg-ann and to get the Mee-gan pronunciation you’d spell it Meagan.

• Upvote 4

On 1/10/2023 at 6:58 PM, NotQuiteMotY said:

I'm actually pretty surprised that Nellie isn't getting the same level of revival as Ellie or Millie, to be honest. It's a pretty name whether it's short for something or not. Or maybe too many of us grew up with Nellie Olson from LHotP as an association?

There are 2 Nelly associations. There was a rapper named Nelly and then Nellie Olsen who was a bully. Plus there are multiple names that start with El but not as many that start with Nel. So Ellie seems like a more obvious choice. 

• Upvote 2

Nellie is a pretty name, but it does make me think of the song "Nellie the Elephant", which maybe would be fine now, but back in the 80s/90s when I was at school, would have been prime material for the bully kids. Especially any slightly chubby kid - I can just see the whole class joining in in PE lessons *shudder*. Probably while the PE teachers snigger in the background. I guess there's also the singer Nelly Furtado, as a more likely and recent association.

Of course, no fundie kid is going anywhere near a school, so maybe it wouldn't matter. And Nelly Furtado is too secular for them to have heard of.

• Love 1

On 1/13/2023 at 4:21 AM, Smee said:

Megan and its various spellings and pronunciations is interesting to me. Here in Aus, a Megan would most likely be pronounced Mee-gan, so Meghan is a way to indicate you prefer the Meg-ann pronunciation. In the US, it seems Megan is assumed Meg-ann and to get the Mee-gan pronunciation you’d spell it Meagan.

I've known people with the four "main" spellings (megan, meagan, meghan, meaghan) and I've never once heard it pronounded "Mee-gan"

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3

14 minutes ago, monkeyrocks71 said:

I've known people with the four "main" spellings (megan, meagan, meghan, meaghan) and I've never once heard it pronounded "Mee-gan"

This brings me back almost 50 years to a summer camp with a girl called “Mee gan.” We all kept forgetting and would call her Megan. She wasn’t happy about it. She’s the only “Mee gan” I knew.

The name Megan has dropped like a rock in popularity in the U.S. It was a top 20 name from the ‘80s through the very early 2000s. Now it’s in the 600s.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, JDuggs said:

This brings me back almost 50 years to a summer camp with a girl called “Mee gan.” We all kept forgetting and would call her Megan. She wasn’t happy about it. She’s the only “Mee gan” I knew.

The name Megan has dropped like a rock in popularity in the U.S. It was a top 20 name from the ‘80s through the very early 2000s. Now it’s in the 600s.

*raises hand* I'm an early adopter apparently - since I was born in the 70s with a variation of Megan. And NO ONE can spell it right and I feel like NO one pronounces it my preferred way. I'm not a Meegan. I'm not a MAYgen. I'm a Meg-n. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Meggo said:

I'm not a MAYgen. I'm a Meg-n. 

The amount of time I have said these two words out loud over and over trying to hear a difference... they sound exactly the same to me. 😭

The only Mee-gan I know spells it Meighan. 

• WTF 1
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 1

On 1/13/2023 at 8:32 AM, Zebedee said:

Nellie is a pretty name, but it does make me think of the song "Nellie the Elephant", which maybe would be fine now, but back in the 80s/90s when I was at school, would have been prime material for the bully kids. Especially any slightly chubby kid - I can just see the whole class joining in in PE lessons *shudder*. Probably while the PE teachers snigger in the background. I guess there's also the singer Nelly Furtado, as a more likely and recent association.

Of course, no fundie kid is going anywhere near a school, so maybe it wouldn't matter. And Nelly Furtado is too secular for them to have heard of.

There is a bot on Battlebots (a cool robot fighting show!)named Nelly the Ellybot that looks like an elephant. I got that and Nellie Olson. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Haha 3

On 1/13/2023 at 2:32 PM, Zebedee said:

Your PE teachers must have been related to mine!!!!! Awful. 

• I Agree 1

3 hours ago, Meggo said:

*raises hand* I'm an early adopter apparently - since I was born in the 70s with a variation of Megan. And NO ONE can spell it right and I feel like NO one pronounces it my preferred way. I'm not a Meegan. I'm not a MAYgen. I'm a Meg-n. 

This!! The MAY-gen bugs me more than the Mee-gan. '82 with H here. :)

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, viii said:

The amount of time I have said these two words out loud over and over trying to hear a difference... they sound exactly the same to me. 😭

The only Mee-gan I know spells it Meighan. 

I can hear the difference. Meg-an would sound like Peg-an with an M. 

With MAYgen, the emphasis lingers on the first syllable a bit.

Meegan sounds Irish to me. 

Sort of reminds me of Lara Spencer of GMA. I’m sure she was called Laura her whole life. But it’s pronounced Lair-uh.

I know someone named Charlynn. Named after her dad Charlie, so it’s a hard CH sound. I love it. But she gets called Sharrlynn a lot.

12 hours ago, Cam said:

I can hear the difference. Meg-an would sound like Peg-an with an M. 

With MAYgen, the emphasis lingers on the first syllable a bit.

Meegan sounds Irish to me. 

Sort of reminds me of Lara Spencer of GMA. I’m sure she was called Laura her whole life. But it’s pronounced Lair-uh.

I know someone named Charlynn. Named after her dad Charlie, so it’s a hard CH sound. I love it. But she gets called Sharrlynn a lot.

For me - It's MAY-gen versus Meg-in really. Like if people just say the word "Meg" and add "in" to it - that's what it is vs say the way "May" and then add "gin" (not gin like the drink - a soft g). It's subtle - and I know it's a small thing. And I recognize it might be somewhat regional in how people pronounce things - so I try not to get irritated by it but...  I will get irritated by the spelling ESPECIALLY if someone is sending me a reply to my email where my name is CLEARLY spelled correctly. I am seriously the most cautious person about spelling and pronunciation and not assuming nicknames. 

BUT - interestingly - when I was born my parents said to their friend who was born and raised in Ireland - "We went with a nice Irish name" and the friend said "Megan? Never heard of it before..." 

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, Meggo said:

BUT - interestingly - when I was born my parents said to their friend who was born and raised in Ireland - "We went with a nice Irish name" and the friend said "Megan? Never heard of it before..." 

I am simply begging America to educate itself about Wales.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, AprilQuilt said:

I am simply begging America to educate itself about Wales.

It's a Welsh version of Margaret, isn't it (Mared)

The Irish would be Mairéad or (Mairead for the Gaelic version, from which we get Maisie. I like the idea of Megan and Maisie being kind of twin names :))

I think in Australia Megan = Mee-gan. At least that's what I knew growing up.

The short 'e' Megan is something I've heard more recently - US TV anchors and Meghan Markle.

And the May-gen pronunciation, funnily enough, is something I first heard on a podcast called TV Literate that snarked on the Duggars and Bates!

• Upvote 1

I'm Australian and a have known many a "Mee-gan" - Megan, Megen, Meghan, Meagan, Meegan and even a Maegen (pronounced May-gen), and it's so weird to me that the name is pronounced so different in the US. Meg as a nickname in the US makes more sense. Mostly Megan's will just get called "Meegs" if they have a nickname.

We also have the name Teghan -- the same as Meghan but with a T. So pronounced as "Tee-gen"

Is that a first name in the US? Do you all pronounce it as Tee-gen, or Teg-en (ala Meg-en)

I know many Megans in our small midwestern area and all pronounced May-gen.  The youngest one I know is 5.   I never realized there was another pronunciation.    I do have a speech and hearing pediment so I could be saying/hearing the name incorrectly.

The tee-gen I know spells it Teagan.  

• Upvote 3