IGNORED

Josie & Kelton 8: Kelton has a new Grill - Boredom Ensues

samurai_sarah

1 hour ago, JDuggs said:

Aside from his political views and gross thoughts on his daughters’ “purity,” I don’t find Kelton to be a bad fundie spouse. He is the one Bates son or son-in-law who runs his own legitimate business and appears to go to work regular daily hours (although with plenty of vacation time). He encourages Josie in her business ventures that seem to require that he steps up with childcare. When he was choosing a hobby, he was deciding between golf and cooking. He chose cooking because he knew that would be really helpful to their family. For the most part, the Bates sons seem super lazy compared to Kelton.

Very fair points.

• Upvote 2

I’m surprised she had an IUD or even admitted it. I thought they were considered abortion by the religious right. 

I hope she’s not pregnant. Hazel’s only 2 & she had some complications with that pregnancy. I knew they wanted more; I guess I just thought they have a bigger gap or even stop if she’s in danger. Regardless, I really hope it’s her choice. 

• Upvote 10

From what I remember of Hazel’s birth, Hazel had the health issues, not Josie. I think Josie and Kelton have to weigh the risks of another baby with complications. Since Kelton’s mother died after childbirth, I can’t see him demanding that Josie go through a pregnancy if they thought her health was at a higher risk.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

6 hours ago, nvmbr02 said:

I find the number of kids families has to be very regional. Currently live in the Southwestern US, and almost all our neighbors and coworkers have 3-5 kids. Quite a few families with 7+ too, but only one that we know personally. When we lived in the Northeast, 1-3 was far more common, as well as more childless couples. I grew up in California (Bay Area), and in my family, most of my aunts/uncles/cousins have/had larger families of 3-4 kids, but most of the people I went to high school with have 1 or 2. 

Definitely agree that region is a factor. In the southern US no one will blink an eye at 3-4 kids. Almost everyone I know with kids has at least 3-4 (having an only or 2 is more uncommon). That includes families where the kids go to public school and both parents work. 5 kids seems to be the number in the south when you become a “big” family.

• Upvote 1

I am still in shock that we have a fundie admitting to birth control real birth control not the pull out or planning around fertile days....

I have to add, how it occurs to me they are working on make contraception, I wonder if any fundie men would use that? I can definitely see that "we dont speak his name" would use it and Anna crying over her barren womb. 

I can see Fundie men using on the sly but if they are pro birth control they will saddle the women folk with it 

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, JDuggs said:

Aside from his political views and gross thoughts on his daughters’ “purity,” I don’t find Kelton to be a bad fundie spouse. He is the one Bates son or son-in-law who runs his own legitimate business and appears to go to work regular daily hours (although with plenty of vacation time). He encourages Josie in her business ventures that seem to require that he steps up with childcare. When he was choosing a hobby, he was deciding between golf and cooking. He chose cooking because he knew that would be really helpful to their family. For the most part, the Bates sons seem super lazy compared to Kelton.

You must be forgetting Chad. He seems to always have a mile long honey do list from Erin. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Dbm said:

Josie posted a TikTok video about her hormonal acne, she got her IUD taken out, and she also mentioned that she didn't want to take medication and preferred topical medications, so there is a chance that we heard Kelly correctly 😂😅

Oh wow, I feel like an IUD is a surprising choice for a fundie (but women’s healthcare worker me is super happy to hear it!). Good for her for making her own decision about her fertility and contraception 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 8

It is great that they even considered an hormonal IUD. With the medical issues she has it is definetely smart to limit their family size.

If she is already pregnant again hopefully the baby is ok and doesnt have to stay longer in the NICU than Hazel. I remember the doctors adviced them that each pregnancy the issues would get increasingly worst. I really hope next one is a boy so they can stop at three and not keep risking it.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4

Good for her for making her own choices about reproduction. I definitely think she is pregnant now. I called it a month ago or so. Is hormonal acne a big issue with IUDs? I just wonder with all that makeup she wears everyday if it is hormonal or cosmetic/brushes aren't cleaned/sleeping in makeup. I wish she had a better experience with IUDs so she could recommend that to some of her friends and family. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, gobucks said:

Good for her for making her own choices about reproduction. I definitely think she is pregnant now. I called it a month ago or so. Is hormonal acne a big issue with IUDs? I just wonder with all that makeup she wears everyday if it is hormonal or cosmetic/brushes aren't cleaned/sleeping in makeup. I wish she had a better experience with IUDs so she could recommend that to some of her friends and family. 

Yes, prior to my hysterectomy I did a hormonal IUD. I had never had acne before and ended up with horrible acne during that experience. 

• Upvote 1

I had a Mirena put in for the first time months ago and I get little pimples. Nothing major. I had way worse acne back in my teens and 20s. So it’s just caused mild acne for me at the age of 40. It may have been worse if I had it in my teens. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, gobucks said:

She has been seeing a dermatologist for a year, so I believe her when she says that they have determined the cause. She also seems really good about cleaning her brushes. 

4 of the 7 married Bates daughters have now acknowledged using some form of birth control, which is a good thing. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

3 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

She has been seeing a dermatologist for a year, so I believe her when she says that they have determined the cause. She also seems really good about cleaning her brushes. 

4 of the 7 married Bates daughters have now acknowledged using some form of birth control, which is a good thing. 

I know of two, maybe three (Josie, Alyssa, Katie). Has Carlin admitted to using BC?

Edited by marmalade
Autofill strikes again!

10 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

Michael’s infertile and Erin supposedly is about to be infertile, so that leaves only Tori as Quiverfull and actively birthing indefinitely.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, marmalade said:

I know of two, maybe three (Josie, Alyssa, Katie). Has Carlin admitted to using BC?

Carlin hasn't said what type they use but they admit to using some type of BC. 

15 hours ago, marmalade said:

Carlin hasn't said what type they use but they have acknowledged that they are currently using something until they get the go ahead from her doctor. Katie and Alyssa also previously acknowledged using some form of birth control. 

12 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Michael’s infertile and Erin supposedly is about to be infertile, so that leaves only Tori as Quiverfull and actively birthing indefinitely.

I thought Erin was pregnant?

On 7/11/2023 at 4:13 PM, gobucks said:

Yes, studies quote anywhere from 7-15% of people with a Mirena can have acne as a side effect. It generally settles, but not for everyone. The nice thing about hormonal IUDs is that they have a much lower side effect profile than oral contraception since most of the hormone stays in the uterus and doesn’t enter the bloodstream. A lower dose hormonal IUD option is a Kyleena (and I think also Jaydess in the US?). Or you can get a copper IUD which is hormone-free (but can sometimes cause heavier periods). 

On 7/12/2023 at 3:05 AM, CanadianMamam said:

It’s interesting they acknowledge it publicly, because “having as many as god gives you no matter your health or life circumstances” is THE central belief of the cult they grew up in. I certainly would have expected birth control to happen, but without the publicity and only after 5 or 6 kids, not after 2.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

18 hours ago, Keys said:

Yes, studies quote anywhere from 7-15% of people with a Mirena can have acne as a side effect. It generally settles, but not for everyone. The nice thing about hormonal IUDs is that they have a much lower side effect profile than oral contraception since most of the hormone stays in the uterus and doesn’t enter the bloodstream. A lower dose hormonal IUD option is a Kyleena (and I think also Jaydess in the US?). Or you can get a copper IUD which is hormone-free (but can sometimes cause heavier periods). 

The manufacturer claims that hormonal IUDs keeps the hormones in the uterus - but this is actually just not possible for hormones. And the very long list of side effects will prove this easily, as a lot of them occur to have an impact on body parts outside the uterus. I see the biggest problem with the hormonal IUD in the mental impact it can have (depression, anciety etc) as it is very easy for doctors to tell you that you just imagine this and that they don't believe it to be connected with the IUD...

• I Agree 2

7 hours ago, Michiru said:

The manufacturer claims that hormonal IUDs keeps the hormones in the uterus - but this is actually just not possible for hormones. And the very long list of side effects will prove this easily, as a lot of them occur to have an impact on body parts outside the uterus. I see the biggest problem with the hormonal IUD in the mental impact it can have (depression, anciety etc) as it is very easy for doctors to tell you that you just imagine this and that they don't believe it to be connected with the IUD...

They are *mostly* contained. The concentration of hormone in your bloodstream from a hormonal IUD is much, much lower than from oral contraceptives, and also decreases over time (since the IUD excretes the most hormone initially and then levels out). But certainly, some people are very sensitive to the hormone, and even though the serum concentration is very low, it can still cause some symptoms like acne or mental health concerns in a small subset of people. And if these symptoms coincide with when the IUD was placed, the possibility of them being a side effect should absolutely be considered. It is the same as how some people will have significant mood symptoms at certain parts of the menstrual cycle due to hormone levels at that time. 

• Upvote 4

12 hours ago, Keys said:

They are *mostly* contained. The concentration of hormone in your bloodstream from a hormonal IUD is much, much lower than from oral contraceptives, and also decreases over time (since the IUD excretes the most hormone initially and then levels out). But certainly, some people are very sensitive to the hormone, and even though the serum concentration is very low, it can still cause some symptoms like acne or mental health concerns in a small subset of people. And if these symptoms coincide with when the IUD was placed, the possibility of them being a side effect should absolutely be considered. It is the same as how some people will have significant mood symptoms at certain parts of the menstrual cycle due to hormone levels at that time. 

That’s me. I Just said in another thread I’m the queen of side effects. Yes, I had side effects after having my Mirena placed. Thankfully I could handle them. But I definitely noticed them. And yes, I have major mood shifts during my regular unmedicated cycle. 

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

That’s me. I Just said in another thread I’m the queen of side effects. Yes, I had side effects after having my Mirena placed. Thankfully I could handle them. But I definitely noticed them. And yes, I have major mood shifts during my regular unmedicated cycle. 

Ugh, sorry you experience this! I’m glad you felt you could handle them, though. It’s always a pros/cons decision :) 

19 minutes ago, Keys said:

Ugh, sorry you experience this! I’m glad you felt you could handle them, though. It’s always a pros/cons decision :) 

Definitely. I had such heavy and painful periods after having my kids. So Mirena was one of the better options. Oral contraceptives have always made me sick to my stomach. So that’s a major no. And progesterone BC made my BP go up. So it was Mirena or ablation. I chose Mirena.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Love 2

I know I've said this before somewhere, but I remember watching Bates and Duggar clips and always being struck by the different answers when they were asked about how many kids they wanted. The Bateses always said a definite number, or said something like "maybe 4-6", whereas the Duggars always said "as many as God gives us!" I know it's probably all scripted or whatever, but I just found the difference interesting. I don't remember any Bateses saying "as many as God gives us" unless I'm misremembering.

• Upvote 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic