IGNORED

Coronavirus 7: Ring in Delta Plus and then Omicron Takes Over

Coconut Flan

On 3/5/2022 at 11:59 AM, Smee said:

My son had a fever Sunday, tested positive Monday. My daughter (who climbs into my bed for comfort and got upset every time I left her room) tested positive yesterday (Friday). Yet according to my state’s rules I’m allowed to leave isolation tomorrow?!

CAA93189-D040-459C-BF73-D149834F769E.jpeg

Good thing I stayed in isolation because I’m now positive :(

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 20

Wishing everyone who has family or are themselves who are ill with this a fast and easy recovery. 

• I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

We (the world) are really slow on the learning curve.  Cases start down, let's promptly cut back on restrictions.  Don't consider keeping restrictions until cases get really, really low.  New variant starts up, oh let it run awhile and see what happens.  Repeat, repeat, and repeat.  

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 9

I hope you’re feeling okay @Smee

I’m so upset and worried about the close contact news. Going into winter, I think this is a very bad idea. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, adidas said:

I hope you’re feeling okay @Smee

I’m so upset and worried about the close contact news. Going into winter, I think this is a very bad idea. 

It's insane. I don't understand why minimal precautions such as masking and close contact isolation aren't "living with covid" normal. It's almost certainly being driven by school transmission here (Victorian schools have nearly exhausted their budget for relief staff, and we're in term 1) - but if you want to go back to a form of pre-covid normal you need to make structural changes to reduce transmission like looking at air movement etc. in buildings, and keeping the case numbers as low as possible to reduce the likelihood of new variants.

We seem to be in this perpetual idea that "if we all get it it'll go away" - and we don't actually know that, nor do we know the longer term effects (which at the moment appear to include higher risks of early onset dementia and cardiovascular disease).  Yeah for some - maybe even "most" - people there won't be long term effects, but even long term effects in a small number of people becomes a problem when your infection denominator is large. It's basic maths for crying out loud.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

I'm seeing many more people not masking indoors.  OTOH, community transmission is currently low - my doctor recently told me it should be fine to wear a procedure mask vs. an N95 when indoors around others - but I think I'll wait a bit.  If there's a new outbreak as a result of decreased precautions I'd prefer not to be part of it.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

On 3/12/2022 at 8:47 AM, Ozlsn said:

It's insane. I don't understand why minimal precautions such as masking and close contact isolation aren't "living with covid" normal. It's almost certainly being driven by school transmission here (Victorian schools have nearly exhausted their budget for relief staff, and we're in term 1) - but if you want to go back to a form of pre-covid normal you need to make structural changes to reduce transmission like looking at air movement etc. in buildings, and keeping the case numbers as low as possible to reduce the likelihood of new variants.

We seem to be in this perpetual idea that "if we all get it it'll go away" - and we don't actually know that, nor do we know the longer term effects (which at the moment appear to include higher risks of early onset dementia and cardiovascular disease).  Yeah for some - maybe even "most" - people there won't be long term effects, but even long term effects in a small number of people becomes a problem when your infection denominator is large. It's basic maths for crying out loud.

Yes, to all of this! I got it from my kiddo who got it through school transmission, as did the majority of people I know who’ve had it. But if I hadn’t isolated as a close contact, I would have passed it on to my boss and her infant twins, or my parents. Despite living in one house, my sister and I have been careful about masking in shared spaces (kitchen/laundry), keeping windows and doors open for ventilation where possible, and staying on our separate floors as much as possible. It’s been 2 weeks since my son tested positive, 9 days since my daughter did, and 5 days since I did. So far my sister, nephew and niece are all still covid-free, because we didn’t just give up and assume they’d get it. Scrapping close contacts is an all around bad idea.

And yeah, with vaccination and booster I’m not struggling to breathe or anything but man, the fatigue is next level.

• Love 10

46 minutes ago, Smee said:

And yeah, with vaccination and booster I’m not struggling to breathe or anything but man, the fatigue is next level

My team manager is still exhausted, two (?) weeks on. The second person in our team has worked a half day since getting sick. Our team productivity hasn't increased by returning to work, that's for sure. I am just waiting for the next spreader meeting, sigh. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 5
  • I Agree 1

Apparently there is an uh oh with Omicron and another reason it's more transmissible.  It lasts longer on surfaces than the original version.

image.png.b2a07f0ce5bbae1f17ea5b3772970725.png

https://www.news.com.au/world/coronavirus/health/surprising-new-detail-about-the-omicron-variant-emerges/news-story/7b1a94f2fa218a5f44bb455deab0128b

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Thank You 9

5 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

Apparently there is an uh oh with Omicron and another reason it's more transmissible.  It lasts longer on surfaces than the original version.

image.png.b2a07f0ce5bbae1f17ea5b3772970725.png

https://www.news.com.au/world/coronavirus/health/surprising-new-detail-about-the-omicron-variant-emerges/news-story/7b1a94f2fa218a5f44bb455deab0128b

True confession:  I'm not being as obsessive as before, but still generally give my purchases either a quick once-over with a cleaning wipe or (if unpackaged produce) rinse in the sink.  Also washing my hands or using sanitizer after touching outside door handles, elevator buttons, etc that are in frequent use.  These are going to be hard habits to break but I look forward to a time when it'll be safe to.

• Upvote 3

On 3/13/2022 at 4:19 PM, Dandruff said:

True confession:  I'm not being as obsessive as before, but still generally give my purchases either a quick once-over with a cleaning wipe or (if unpackaged produce) rinse in the sink.  Also washing my hands or using sanitizer after touching outside door handles, elevator buttons, etc that are in frequent use.  These are going to be hard habits to break but I look forward to a time when it'll be safe to.

Oh heck no. Can't stop, won't stop. 

• Upvote 3

Thread on masking. Interesting viewpoint, not sure I agree with all the assertions.

Spoiler

My main issue with his argument is that masks are not a panacea, they're a tool - as is social distancing, as is locking down, as is airflow management. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3

CDC has confirmed an uptick in COVID-19 found in wastewater.  Positive samples have doubled from a month ago.  Note:  Not all areas in the US do wastewater sampling for COVID-19, so this isn't necessarily representative of COVID-19 levels throughout the country, but it's still concerning.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/cdc-confirms-uptick-covid-19-found-wastewater-rcna20120

Also, those who requested four free COVID-19 test kits in the US can now order another set of four.

https://www.covidtests.gov/

My first set of tests took a lot longer than two weeks to arrive.  I think it was well over a month.  I ordered a second set last Thursday and they arrived yesterday (Monday).

• Thank You 6

Worldwide cases are up.  Last week where I live wastewater levels had hit a plateau.  Giving up is not the solution, but seems to the tack much of the world is going to take.  Let's watch as the world repeats the mistakes of the 1918 pandemic - giving up before it's over because we're tired of it.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 3
  • Thank You 1

I've been watching levels in my area.  I feel pretty comfortable skipping the mask when local levels are low.  I'm low risk, I'm vaccinated and boosted, and I don't live with anyone high risk.  I was masking indoors for Omicron, but our cases in this area have dropped to what looks to be even lower than pre-Omicron levels.  My state is >70% fully vaccinated (and probably closer to 80% once factoring in vaccines given in the federal system, which aren't reported to state systems), which probably puts us near herd immunity in this area.  We're locally in good enough shape that even our local hospital systems are dropping masks for non-clinical settings.  Definitely watching for any change, though.  

• Upvote 2
  • Eyeroll 1

I just went into a dine-in restaurant for the first time this year.   Levels have dropped enough in our area where I figured I could take the chance but still, yesterday I went to the local pharmacy, there were a few cars getting the Covid tests, so it's still around.  And the wastewater reports locally have been ticking up a bit.    Tomorrow, I have a dentist appointment that I cancelled during the Omicron surge and am going in before anything else happens.    I might finally get that shingles vaccine now before anything else happens.

I like to be hopeful that this is over but just can't shake the feeling that this isn't over yet.  

• Upvote 6

In the last 2 days I have donated blood  through the Red Cross,  been to the DDS and grocery store. I was required to mask at every business I entered. I am in Santa Cruz County on the central CA coast. Tomorrow I have another medical appointment. Last month when I was in that office I was required to mask. I am sure things will be the same tomorrow.  On Sunday our church is having it’s first hybrid, in person+ Zoom service in 2 YEARS. Based on our space, we are limiting attendance to 40 people, and masks will be required.

• Upvote 5

It’s depressing to me how quickly Australia gave up and took the “we’re all going to get it eventually” approach. I had covid last week, came out of isolation on Tuesday. Today (Thursday) I picked my kids up from school where there were probably 100 other parents waiting at the gate, none of them in masks (covid is absolutely rampant at the school). Then I took them to karate, indoors with dozens of other people, parents at the side of my 5yr old’s class, crowds at the transition between classes with younger kids being picked up and older kids being dropped off… the only mask in sight was mine. People are just willing to get sick, it’s baffling to me.

• I Agree 8

1 minute ago, Smee said:

People are just willing to get sick, it’s baffling to me

They think it's over because the media are telling them it is. Thousands of cases, hundreds in ICU, 30+ deaths per day? All people who had underlying conditions obviously. The level of disconnect amazes me.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

On 3/16/2022 at 5:24 PM, SassyPants said:

In the last 2 days I have donated blood  through the Red Cross,  been to the DDS and grocery store. I was required to mask at every business I entered. I am in Santa Cruz County on the central CA coast. Tomorrow I have another medical appointment. Last month when I was in that office I was required to mask. I am sure things will be the same tomorrow.  On Sunday our church is having it’s first hybrid, in person+ Zoom service in 2 YEARS. Based on our space, we are limiting attendance to 40 people, and masks will be required.

Quoting to update. Yesterday, indeed, I did have to mask both at my medical appointment and at Trader Joes. In fact, the last time I was in TJs, I think it was last month, the clerk told me about the new BA variant, and that it had been detected in Spain. Lo and behold, it’s all over Western Europe and the British Islands. Damn, I am due to travel in 2 weeks. Every trip I’ve taken in the last year has coincided with a surge. I am ready for my 4th dose.

• Upvote 5

California still requires masking in all medical facilities.  That's a comfort.  Most people here are wearing masks in grocery stores.  I don't really go anywhere else.  

On 3/16/2022 at 11:45 AM, Sarcastically spinster said:

My state is >70% fully vaccinated (and probably closer to 80% once factoring in vaccines given in the federal system, which aren't reported to state systems), which probably puts us near herd immunity in this area. 

Herd immunity has been given up on with COVID.  It won't happen for COVID any more than it does with the common cold, norovirus, or flu.  We can only have herd immunity for diseases where a vaccination series or having it confers life long immunity for most people.  Immunity for COVID, like norovirus, is only lasting maybe six months and doesn't necessarily provide cross immunity to other variants.  Long term we're probably looking at a vaccination in the fall every year and some people will be able to simply get one injection combined with a flu vaccine.  A lot of our hope will rest with the pills to take as soon as symptoms appear much like Tamiflu for influenza along with hoping COVID does become seasonal.  

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, Coconut Flan said:

California still requires masking in all medical facilities.  That's a comfort.  Most people here are wearing masks in grocery stores.  I don't really go anywhere else.  

Herd immunity has been given up on with COVID.  It won't happen for COVID any more than it does with the common cold, norovirus, or flu.  We can only have herd immunity for diseases where a vaccination series or having it confers life long immunity for most people.  Immunity for COVID, like norovirus, is only lasting maybe six months and doesn't necessarily provide cross immunity to other variants.  Long term we're probably looking at a vaccination in the fall every year and some people will be able to simply get one injection combined with a flu vaccine.  A lot of our hope will rest with the pills to take as soon as symptoms appear much like Tamiflu for influenza along with hoping COVID does become seasonal.  

Having easy treatment is encouraging, but I won't relax until we know if said immediate treatment removes or drastically reducses the chance of Long Covid.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 5

2 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

California still requires masking in all medical facilities. 

Last I saw, CDC was still recommending masking in healthcare settings, so you're not going to see many medical facilities that aren't requiring it regardless of state requirements.  

• Upvote 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic