IGNORED

Coronavirus 7: Ring in Delta Plus and then Omicron Takes Over

Coconut Flan

I used to work at a nursing home. I asked an old coworker what the testing was like now. (Back in the middle of it, residents and staff were all tested weekly.) She said that now only the unvaccinated are tested. It doesn’t make any sense because the vaccinated still get it and spread it. There is only one staff case and no resident cases currently. But with the rates in my community now, I find it hard to believe. I think a lot of people are working with “colds.”

Edited by JDuggs
Wrong word
  • Upvote 4

A thread on the paediatric hepatitis cases.

Short version - covid likely to be involved, adenovirus possibly but usually only causes hepatitis in severely immunocompromised children, and children carry Adenovirus persistently without developing symptoms. 

The lockdown theory is a total furphy (which seriously here, that was pretty obvious from Melbourne, Wuhan, Manila, and Chile not reporting higher proportional numbers than what is being reported in Europe/North America).

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

13 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

Short version - covid likely to be involved,

I found in an article (maybe even a link from this thread) about the Spanish Flu and its link to Parkinson‘s disease a very fitting quote: „Epidemics have long tails“ The coronavirus seems to be no exception. Which diseases will be linked to coronavirus infections 20, 30 years from now? 

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 2

Edited by Smash!
  • Thank You 5

We visited a college campus in Pennsylvania this weekend, and for the first time ever we were asked to provide proof of vaccination to enter a facility.  On our trip through various airports, very few people wore masks, but still enough that we didn't feel too out of place (not that it matters, we are still masking in crowds).  We are keeping our fingers crossed that our luck holds out on our journey home, and we don't pick up any illnesses.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 6

Another thread about hepatitis in children (unrolled).

One bit that really got me was this:

Another reason why "let it rip" through unvaccinated children was/is a bad idea - yeah "most" children don't get long term effects but you increase the numbers then the chance of those who do being infected and developing complications increases too, and you can overwhelm your healthcare systems quite quickly (ask me about our ambulance ramping times! Actually don't, because they are depressing AF right now and flu hasn't peaked yet.)  

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

US hit an unfortunate milestone today

The U.S. death toll from COVID-19 hit 1 million on Monday, a once-unimaginable figure that only hints at the multitudes of loved ones and friends staggered by grief and frustration.

The confirmed number of dead is equivalent to a 9/11 attack every day for 336 days. It is roughly equal to how many Americans died in the Civil War and World War II combined. It’s as if Boston and Pittsburgh were wiped out.

“It is hard to imagine a million people plucked from this earth,” said Jennifer Nuzzo, who leads a new pandemic center at the Brown University School of Public Health in Providence, Rhode Island. “It’s still happening and we are letting it happen.”

Some of those left behind say they cannot return to normal. They replay their loved ones’ voicemail messages. Or watch old videos to see them dance. When other people say they are done with the virus, they bristle with anger or ache in silence.

How much lower would that figure be now if that orange fuckstick and his GQP fuckhead minions hadn't whipped up anti-vax sentiment and denied the goddamn pandemic existed.  I fucking hate him and the GQP.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

US hit an unfortunate milestone today

How much lower would that figure be now if that orange fuckstick and his GQP fuckhead minions hadn't whipped up anti-vax sentiment and denied the goddamn pandemic existed.  I fucking hate him and the GQP.

We hit a million a while ago. I think around early April or late March. We didn't hit a million today. All I can think is they delayed the announcement, but we've been over a million for weeks now.

• Upvote 1

From an article in the Seattle Times.  The Seattle Art Museum has set aside a few hours a month when masks are required, even though mask mandates have been dropped.  I think this is such a great idea.  From the article:

Throughout the pandemic, SAM has aligned with the guidance of public health officials, so masks were required for entry for much of last year. Since King County dropped its mask mandate in March, this new concept will hopefully be a way to bring in people who are otherwise uncomfortable visiting or are more vulnerable to COVID-19, said Rachel Eggers, SAM associate director of public relations.

There will be two more mask-required hours — the third Saturdays in June and July — and SAM is open to providing more if there is good turnout. 

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, CTRLZero said:

From an article in the Seattle Times.  The Seattle Art Museum has set aside a few hours a month when masks are required, even though mask mandates have been dropped.  I think this is such a great idea.  From the article:

Throughout the pandemic, SAM has aligned with the guidance of public health officials, so masks were required for entry for much of last year. Since King County dropped its mask mandate in March, this new concept will hopefully be a way to bring in people who are otherwise uncomfortable visiting or are more vulnerable to COVID-19, said Rachel Eggers, SAM associate director of public relations.

There will be two more mask-required hours — the third Saturdays in June and July — and SAM is open to providing more if there is good turnout. 

I also really liked this idea at first. But the last couple of lines felt contrary to the intent of offering these masked hours. People who are extra worried about their risk factor don't want to be in crowded venues even when masks are required. So having a high turnout would prevent the very group of people they are hoping to serve from being comfortable in the situation. Maybe I am reading too much into word choice? 🤷

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, ofDany said:

Maybe I am reading too much into word choice? 🤷

Maybe.  If I was reading the article correctly, they sold a certain number of tickets to possibly limit the number of visitors at any one time (masked or unmasked).  I think the term good turnout just meant a steady stream as opposed to a crush of visitors.  I’m just glad some venues are making an effort.  I prefer masked venues, and still avoid crowds. 

• Upvote 4

On 5/23/2022 at 10:51 PM, ofDany said:

People who are extra worried about their risk factor don't want to be in crowded venues even when masks are required. So having a high turnout would prevent the very group of people they are hoping to serve from being comfortable in the situation. Maybe I am reading too much into word choice? 🤷

If they don't have enough turnout to cover costs of being open during those times, though, then it starts to not be financially feasible.  I would think "high enough turnout" would probably mean "we're at least breaking even on operating costs of doing this".  

• Upvote 3

New omincron variants of concern in UK, South Africa.

Key dot pots - they look like they might have a degree of immune escape so vaccination/prior infection will only give partial protection; they also look to have a growth advantage (probably linked to the immune escape) and appear likely to take over as the dominant strains.

Breakthrough infection after vaccination may give some protection against new variants, um... good? Maybe? At least there is sort of some benefit to getting sick and cranky about it after being vaccinated I guess.

We are all pretending the pandemic is over here despite still having 26 cases in ICU, over 500 hospitalised and about 65,000 active cases. We also have influenza and other respiratory viruses circulating - and it's nearly winter. 22 covid deaths in my state yesterday, but nothing to see here, all normal. I'm finding it very weird. I don't mask outside but still do in supermarkets and other retail settings. Just hoping no one I know needs a hospital bed in the next few months because we're already past strained.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

Our local health department doesn’t post daily Covid data anymore, so it was shocking to me to see 20 deaths reported over a two-week period when they finally updated their totals.  We are hearing from acquaintances that they are coming down with Covid, so it’s definitely sweeping through our county.  My brother and his family are currently down with a mystery illness, three days of fever, but their home Covid tests are not registering, so who knows.  🤷‍♀️  

My sister and I went into a coffee shop to get a cup to go and my mask strap broke!  It freaked me out since I’m so conditioned to wearing my mask.  I held it over my face, but just a weird feeling.  I’m going to carry a back up mask from now on. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

Another family member, who had avoided COVID so far, tested positive yesterday. Fortunately he is vaccinated and not in a high risk group. My partner and I are still fine and have avoided COVID so far. 

• Upvote 7

The pandemic has brought out all the douche cannons it seems

The incident happened on Memorial Day at Mas Margaritas on Boyson Road northeast. The family in the video says they’ve received threats over it. The restaurant says it shared the video to spread awareness of what servers experience.

Reiley Dorgan has worked at Mas Margaritas for year, but she says she’s never experienced anything quite like what happened Monday.

Surveillance video shows a man appearing to throw money on the ground for Dorgan to pick up, instead of handing it to her. Co-Owner Haile Duncan says she couldn’t believe what she watched back on camera.

”Just to be treated that way, just such like a dehumanizing act, I just feel like to be thrown money on the floor like she’s an animal or something, I just, it was heartbreaking,” said Duncan.

I worked it a restaurant too way back in the 90s and the restaurant manager was a fornicating asshole who would have expected the waitress to perform a number of degrading acts to satisfy the customer.  I'd love to tell that manager: (a) fuck you; and (b) no employee should be treated like this family treated this server. 

Of course the family is out there complaining about how mean people are to them now. 

This family I know of fundies decided to have a big gathering with everyone there. One of the family members tested positive for COVID and it's spreading among the family. I have had some bad experiences with these people and I'm also annoyed they are taking risks like this, especially since the family includes pregnant women and small children (too young to vaccinate). I have very little sympathy for them. A mutual friend was telling me about it and she was annoyed I wasn't sympathetic.

• Sad 1

My husband went to a work convention in Atlanta last weekend, and today he popped positive. I am still -. We have each had 4 shots (2+2 boosters). Our last booster was 4/30. Cough, fever, body/headache.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 9

Just an FYI- my hubs is sicccccckkkkk. He’s mid 60s, healthy, no co-morbidities, has had 4 shots and COVID is kicking his ass. If you’re eligible, get your 4 th dose. I’m in the process of disinfecting my home with all the windows and doors open while wearing my mask! 

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 4
  • Love 5

10 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Just an FYI- my hubs is sicccccckkkkk. He’s mid 60s, healthy, no co-morbidities, has had 4 shots and COVID is kicking his ass. If you’re eligible, get your 4 th dose. I’m in the process of disinfecting my home with all the windows and doors open while wearing my mask! 

I’m sorry to hear this, and I hope he is on the mend soon.  I just went through a drive up Covid test today (just a pre-op precaution), and there was a carload of very sick individuals ahead of us.  The people taking their test samples looked like a haz mat crew.  It’s still circulating, and we’re still masking.  Our neighbor, who is also vaccinated, boosted, and cautious, came down with Covid and is still suffering effects weeks later.  Stay safe, everyone! 

• Thank You 3
  • Love 4

4 hours ago, SassyPants said:

This sounds scary. I hope your husband is getting better soon and you won‘t catch it!

Wondering if the severity has to do with the Omicron BA.4/.5 strain?                                      I had my 2nd booster at the beginning of April  and was getting a bit lax lately (wearing a surgical mask instead of FFP2 on public transportation etc.). Since you can still get this sick after 4 doses I need to upgrade my masks again.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

6 hours ago, Smash! said:

I had my 2nd booster at the beginning of April  and was getting a bit lax lately (wearing a surgical mask instead of FFP2 on public transportation etc.).

I'm still using KN95s or N95s but so many people aren't masking at all, including at doctor's offices.  I rode the DC Metro last week for the first time in 2.5 years (and it sucked about the same as before the pandemic) and I'd say less than half of the riders were masked.

No one should be too surprised if an existing or new variant of COVID rears its head.  Not with millions apparently too stupid and/or inconsiderate of the rights and lives of others to force it to stay down.

• Upvote 7

So last week my supervisor was in the office and coughing and what have you. He tells me oh I picked up a virus from my wife and she got it from people at work and blah blah blah. Uh huh.  Sept Saturday morning I wake up with a nasty headache. And then as the day progresses postnasal drip and aggravating cough. Nor the time of year where I can’t tell exactly what’s going on in normal years and then you just add Covid to it well who knows? It’s in the back of my head I know Mr. supervisor was at work sick. I took a Covid self test on Sunday morning negative. I work from home today because I felt like crap and I would like to spared my coworkers having to listen to me coffin carry on. What does evening and when I’m instinct and did another Covid test at home it was positive. The evil side of me is going to enjoy poking my boss for months  to come.  Because I’m going to gas neither he nor his wife or the people she work with ever thought of taking 20 minutes to do a Covid self test. Pardon me if I Iroll everyone saying they have a “cold”

• Sad 3
  • Love 7

• Coconut Flan locked this topic