IGNORED

Coronavirus 7: Ring in Delta Plus and then Omicron Takes Over

Coconut Flan

I'm still masking everywhere and I'm beginning to wonder if things will ever get to the point where I won't. Just in the last few days it feels like there has been a jump in people I know getting Covid. My father in law's care home, after not having any cases in months, suddenly had 5 residents and 3 staff members on his floor test positive on Friday.  So far nobody very sick, but we opted not to visit on the weekend because we had  planned a get together with my 2 year old unvaccinated niece on Sunday night. Nobody wanted to potentially expose her to Covid. Looks like we made the right decision as the Care home called today to say that my FIL had indeed tested positive. Hope he does ok; at least he is quadruple vaccinated. Also friend just called to say his parents (again fully vaccinated) just tested positive too. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 9

Get well soon everyone!

Edited by Smash!
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

9 hours ago, PreciousPantsofDoom said:

I'm still masking everywhere and I'm beginning to wonder if things will ever get to the point where I won't. 

In my opinion the problem is that our government don’t treat the issue at the roots. The favorite approach around the world seems to be to „just let the virus rip“ ignoring that Sars-2 won‘t go away and more over causes more problems along the way like Covid linked Hepatitis in children (thanks for the Twitter thread @Ozlsn!) and Long Covid. It infuriates me that over 2 years into the pandemic no effort has been made to improve the ventilation systems in public buildings but also work places with better filters that remove the Sars-2 virus. This would be a long term solution that get rid of other respiratory viruses like influenza and common cold viruses. Those are suspected to be at least partially airborne as well. But nothing is getting done.

Edited by Smash!
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4

On 6/13/2022 at 10:22 PM, PreciousPantsofDoom said:

Just in the last few days it feels like there has been a jump in people I know getting Covid.

I also noticed a big spike in the number of people I know getting Covid in the last two weeks - all vaxxed and boosted. 

Now that number includes me, my husband, his son and his ex wife.  We had a lunch together on Father's Day at his ex wife's house  and all of us came down with Covid symptoms Tuesday evening.  We're all vaxxed and boosted. 

My husband's  daughter and her partner, who have not gotten vaxxed, were there and we are pretty sure they infected us, but we haven't heard a peep out of them.  To say I'm furious with these two is an understatement.  

I've done 3 at home antigen rapid tests and all are negative. My primary care physician won't prescribe Paxlovid until I have a positive test.  

My husband has been tested through his primary care physician and will get the results this morning, so hopefully he'll start Paxlovid today. He's quite a bit sicker than I am, but not terrible. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 4
  • Love 7

I’ve been hanging out at the hospital and attached clinic between minor surgeries and Covid is definitely on the upswing.  The ophthalmologist said they are starting to fill the hospital beds with Covid patients, so I have to be flexible as far as surgery dates and check ups because they need staff to be pulled from other areas to cover the Covid wing.  Also, I have been told to isolate, isolate, isolate, because I can’t afford to get Covid while healing.  My husband is potentially a weak link here, because he does go out on errands, etc., but he tries to be careful.  We’ve stocked up and are back to online delivery at present.

Our neighbor won’t allow his unvaxxed daughter into his house to this day.  I don’t understand why people are still taking this virus lightly.

Best wishes for a quick recovery. ❤️

• Upvote 1
  • Love 10

Doc confirmed a positive COVID test for hubs this morning. His Paxlovid prescription should be ready for pick up soon.  He'll take that for five days and stop all of his other meds. 

I went to CVS (big pharmacy chain like Walgreens) for a PCR test this morning.   It's done through the pharmacy drive up window, the drawer opens and there's a  bag with a swab and a vial, with written instructions, and two pieces of paper with information about Lab Corp, the lab that processes the swab. 

You swab your nose, put the swab in the vial, put the pieces of paper in the bag and put it in a drop box.  The drop box has some frozen packs in the bottom, but the box is thin metal and the sun was shining on it.  It's going to be over 100 degrees today.  I'm not totally confident this will work, but fingers crossed.  Will be getting results tomorrow, maybe. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 10

On 6/24/2022 at 12:50 AM, CTRLZero said:

I don’t understand why people are still taking this virus lightly.

Because here at least the narrative has shifted to "post pandemic" - all vaxxed, it's over! Except it's not, the hospitals are still being overwhelmed (and more now with flu), the longer term effects are still not known and honestly mitigation would still be the best strategy - and most people would I think adhere to it if it was explained why. Mitigation while we focused on improving ventilation in schools and kept numbers down would help a lot. But no, and here we are again with BA5 taking off and honestly I'm starting to wonder how dumb we are as a species.

And there's still incorrect information being spouted about the monkeypox strain so I'm expecting to find out that's an official pandemic any time now because that's not being controlled well either.

• Upvote 7

11 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

and here we are again with BA5 taking off and honestly I'm starting to wonder how dumb we are as a species.

I'm aware of 15 people that I know in various disparate spheres of my life who have come down with covid in the last few weeks. All vaxxed and boosted, including me. 

This variant is insanely infectious and the time from exposure to infection is very short -- a few days for us.  I'm proud of myself for masking - between exposure on Sunday and first symptoms on Tuesday evening - I wore my N 95 when outside the house in public spaces, i.e. grocery store and Target. 

I'm taking Paxlovid and am having a much milder case than my husband and it's still no fun.  My concern/fear is post Covid syndrome, Long Covid, relapse, whatever it's called, because THAT is happening with this variant and I currently take two immune suppressing meds for rheumatoid arthritis.  We'll see what happens in the weeks ahead.  There is no data yet on whether a course of Paxlovid, (a combination of two antiviral meds) lessens the possibility of long covid. 

After we're recovered, it's back to being even more stringent about quarantine, masking, zero exposure to the unvaxxed.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 12

So now a friend is down with Covid.  This is how viruses keep circulating:  First, he and his wife traveled out of the country for sightseeing.  Then they made a quick return trip to attend a grandchild’s graduation, before boarding a plane for the east coast to go to a 60th high school reunion.  We are trying to figure out dates when he was infectious, but he’s been struggling with symptoms for six days now and hopes to be returning home (near Seattle) in a couple days.

His wife is very frail, and is so far asymptomatic.  It must be horrible to be away from home with this disease, but even more horrible to possibly have carried the virus all over the place.  They are vaxxed and boosted, but near 80 with various health issues. 

• Sad 4
  • WTF 1

On 6/25/2022 at 6:06 AM, Howl said:

After we're recovered, it's back to being even more stringent about quarantine, masking, zero exposure to the unvaxxed.

I went to my little neighborhood pharmacy and got my 8 free self-test kits for the month (Thanks, MediCare!).  Hubs still tested positive yesterday:  he feels 90% recovered and his cough is almost completely resolved - he's ready to ride his bike and resume life, but has to have some negative tests first.   I'm doing well but may have a middle ear infection, a not unusual complication for upper respiratory infections of any kind. 

Our last dose of Paxlovid is this morning. 

I have yet to test postive: 1 antigen test and 1 PCR test through CVS, 5 self tests at home in the last week, all negative. I'll note that I am a pro-level swabber -- I get the nose swab UP THERE and swab vigorously for the requisite amount of time,  so the negative results are not due to poor technique. 

I've been through two cycles of vaccination.  The first was the Johnson and Johnson Janssen vaccine study -- so three vaccinations beginning in August 2020.  In late November 2021, they notified me I couldn't receive a booster because I now take meds for rheumatoid arthritis.  By the next week, I'd started the first Pfizer vax and went through that sequence of three vaccinations. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2

I just had second flu shot of the season - I’ve now had Fluad and Fluzone. I’m 20 years below the age for Fluzone but my Dr was happy to give it to me because of my asthma and the fact I’m currently sick with my sixth cold this winter (and I’ve had covid too). I have some underlying health issues and my Dr thinks I won’t cope too well if I catch influenza (I’ve been hospitalised with it before). There are SO many viruses out there at the moment (we suspect that my latest is RSV).

Anyway the reason I’m posting is that if you can convince your Dr to give you Fluzone, very early research is showing that the way it replicates does something to disrupt covid’s pathways. I was only half listening but I heard the important bit: it may give extra protection against Covid. It’s not proven but it’s worth it for me. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 3

On 6/26/2022 at 7:44 AM, CTRLZero said:

before boarding a plane for the east coast to go to a 60th high school reunion.  We are trying to figure out dates when he was infectious, but he’s been struggling with symptoms for six days now and hopes to be returning home (near Seattle) in a couple days.

Just an update.  Apparently the high school reunion was a super-spreader type event.  Our friend, his 80-year-old brother and niece had to go into quarantine for five days, along with who knows how many other attendees.  Since this was a 60th high school reunion, I expect most of the attendees are in a higher risk group, vaccinated or not.  Anyway, our friend is back home, experiencing horrible fatigue, but hopefully he’ll survive this bout thanks to being vaccinated.

I’m glad I ordered a new supply of masks.  😟😷

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 4
  • Thank You 1

My mom's retirement facility (in Santa Clara County/Silicon Valley) has gone back into "lockdown" with no dining hall meals, no indoor visitors etc.

Out of a residential population somewhere in the 250 range, plus at least that many staff, they currently have about six cases, some residents and some staff, testing positive.  

Over the past two years they've had occasional "outbreaks" of a few cases at a time, mostly staff, without returning to "lockdown", but either they hit their threshhold or are being extra cautious at this point (for which I'm glad).

• Upvote 5

I think the state rule for LTC facilities is three positives in a seven day period (it might be two weeks, but I think it's one).  However, if they test at two weeks and there is even one positive, then they have to do another two weeks.  Mom's facility had a Four week lockdown for a qualifying outbreak in the spring.  I could still go inside since she's technically on hospice.  This month is one year on hospice and she still qualifies.  She's taking her time at progressing, bless her.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

I know many people who were vaxxed and boosted who had Covid in the last month or so, including someone at work. I didn't have any direct contact with that person, so I didn't have to get tested like those who work directly with that coworker. So far, nobody else at work has tested positive. When cases went back up, masks became required again at work, regardless of vaccination status. 

• Upvote 4

15 hours ago, ADoyle90815 said:

When cases went back up, masks became required again at work, regardless of vaccination status. 

Meanwhile at my work...

Tuesday team meeting: director is unhappy because it looks like people aren't working their 3 days on site. Reminder that it is policy that people work 3 days on site.

Thursday leadership meeting: director wants to remind people not to come in while symptomatic per policy.

Mixed messaging much??

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

I’m having a big surgery on July 21 so I went and got my 2nd booster yesterday. I woke up in the middle of the night with a 101 fever and feel like I’ve been hit by a truck. Based on my 2nd dose and last booster I will be better tomorrow and fine Monday but ugh. I dislike this immensely. I’m also not looking forward to when my entire household (I live alone but will be recovering at my moms so she has to join me) has to quarantine for a week before the surgery - we can’t even go to the grocery store masked. I’m not socializing indoors until then and am trying to be as careful as possible but it’s very difficult. I’m glad to do it, though, because I don’t want to be in the hospital with covid or put off this surgery. If one more person tells me I don’t have to worry, though…..one of my siblings says since they all had it in May their doctor says it’s safe. I don’t know their doctors though, I only know mine, and I’m erring on the side of caution.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 4

20 minutes ago, anachronistic said:

I’m having a big surgery on July 21 so I went and got my 2nd booster yesterday. I woke up in the middle of the night with a 101 fever and feel like I’ve been hit by a truck. Based on my 2nd dose and last booster I will be better tomorrow and fine Monday but ugh. I dislike this immensely. I’m also not looking forward to when my entire household (I live alone but will be recovering at my moms so she has to join me) has to quarantine for a week before the surgery - we can’t even go to the grocery store masked. I’m not socializing indoors until then and am trying to be as careful as possible but it’s very difficult. I’m glad to do it, though, because I don’t want to be in the hospital with covid or put off this surgery. If one more person tells me I don’t have to worry, though…..one of my siblings says since they all had it in May their doctor says it’s safe. I don’t know their doctors though, I only know mine, and I’m erring on the side of caution.

Unfortunately, more and more evidence suggests that COVID immunity (via immunity or vaccination) doesn't stick very well. This article, written by a professor of immunology,  from the Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jul/01/herd-immunity-covid-virus-vaccine

It's worth reading the whole article, which isn't long, but this was my takeaway:

The first generation of vaccines served brilliantly to dig us out of the hole of the first year, but the arms race of boosters versus new variants is no longer going well for us. The UK has only offered a limited group fourth doses, and even then, uptake looks poor. Even if we had good vaccination coverage, we have entered a period of diminishing returns. A study reported in the BMJ last week showed us that the protection gained from a fourth booster dose likely wanes even faster than previous boosters. This leaves us between a rock and a hard place: continue to offer suboptimal boosters to a population who seem to have lost faith or interest in taking them up, or do nothing and cross our fingers that residual immunity might somehow keep a lid on hospitalisations (as happened in South Africa and Portugal).

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 3

1 hour ago, anachronistic said:

I’m also not looking forward to when my entire household (I live alone but will be recovering at my moms so she has to join me) has to quarantine for a week before the surgery

I have minor surgery Wednesday, and I am in this mode now.  My pre-op Covid test is Sunday, then it’s total isolation with my husband until surgery.  He’s been a good sport about it.  This is my third minor surgery since the pandemic began.  I didn’t have to go into isolation over a year ago for my first one, so this is a protocol that’s been implemented over time.  It seems wise.  

Stay safe, and good luck with your surgery. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 2

11 hours ago, FiveAcres said:

Unfortunately, more and more evidence suggests that COVID immunity (via immunity or vaccination) doesn't stick very well.

It doesn't help that we're basically giving the virus free reign to mutate and come up with immunity evading variants by doing stuff all to reduce spread (at a govt level - a lot of individuals are doing heaps but without mask mandates and air filtering being implemented there's a limit to how effective they can be). 

This is basically contributing to the constant waves of covid - one variant starts then before it's finished we have a new one taking its place that evades immunity better. It still amazes me that we spent so much time and effort minimising spread and then went "too hard, let it rip". It amazes me that we have 60 people per day dying of covid and commentators are responding with either crickets or "more people die per day of cancer or cardiovascular disease, and they're preventable too". Well until you can walk into a room and catch cancer or CVD from someone those commentators can STFU.

And in other news a 2 year old from the Northern Rivers region of NSW is in ICU with diphtheria and I am not shocked to learn the poor child was unvaccinated but I am really, really angry. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

There were a lot more cars today when we went through the drive up Covid testing facility.  Sure enough, here is an article in the Seattle Times recommending people mask up indoors (we never stopped masking indoors 🤷‍♀️).  Additionally, in scrolling through our local death statistics for Covid related deaths, I see the average ages are getting younger (i.e., some 20s and 10s).  

Article:

People in six Washington counties should begin wearing masks indoors in public and on public transportation again, according to recommendations from the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 

The latest information from the CDC shows that Lewis County, Pacific County, Thurston County, Grays Harbor County, Garfield County and Spokane County all have COVID-19 community levels rated “high,” meaning they have had 200 or more new COVID-19 cases per 100,000 people in the past seven days, or they’ve had more than 20 new COVID-19 hospital admissions per 100,000 people within a seven-day period. 

KOIN-TV reported the counties range from Pacific County’s 418 cases per 100,000 people to Spokane County’s 207 cases per 100,000 people.

These community levels were calculated June 23.

The CDC said anyone at risk for severe illness in those six counties should consider taking additional precautions besides simply wearing a mask, like staying six feet away from others, avoiding crowds and poorly ventilated spaces, and washing their hands often.

• Thank You 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic