IGNORED

Coronavirus 7: Ring in Delta Plus and then Omicron Takes Over

Coconut Flan

A day after the Federal Council dropped most measures Federal Councillor and current president Ignazio Cassis (who is a doctor and has a masters degree in public health) tested positive. Oh the irony!

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 3

Australia is on the “we want the pandemic to be over, therefore it is” train too. NSW is removing mask mandates in a bunch of settings (incl shops and workplaces but not public transport yet), work from home requirements, and easing crowd density limits. Case numbers/hospitalisation wise we’re past the PEAK of this omicron wave, but there’s no reason it can’t/won’t climb back up again for a second wave.

How are you and the family @Ozlsn? I hope everyone is on the mend ❤️

School has been back 2 1/2 weeks now and despite their dad being an idiot and taking them to indoor places, shops etc without masks, we have so far avoided covid. 3 more weeks until the kids’ second vaccine dose, fingers crossed we can hold out. My sister’s baby arrived safely, I’m thankful we got through these past couple of months.

• Love 8

On 2/7/2022 at 8:47 AM, Ozlsn said:

School started Tues for my son. Daily rapid antigen testing required. Day 1 and 2 we waved him off on the bus. Day 3 he tested positive. Sigh. So we're all home isolating for a week. His symptoms have been of the heavy cold variety, so far we have had no symptoms (and had a neg test on the day he was positive.) Touch wood we can stay that way.

I’ve been sick (not Covid) and haven’t been around … I am just catching up. I’m so sorry ❤️😢

• Love 2

1 hour ago, adidas said:

I’ve been sick (not Covid) and haven’t been around … I am just catching up. I’m so sorry ❤️😢

We were pretty fortunate - son had heavy cold symptoms for about three days, then reduced to a cold, but still really tired. He ended up going back to school after his symptoms had cleared, but he's still tireder than usual. Husband had heavy cold plus headaches and fever/chills for two days, then just the cold plus headaches for two, then he (stupidly imho) worked from home. He's also much tireder than usual. Much to my surprise I tested negative the entire way through, no idea how - it was fortunate though, someone needed to make food!

• Upvote 8

My mom just texted me that she tested positive yesterday.  Has been sick all week with congestion and cough; doctor prescribed something that he said helps with her strain.  She said there's no pain and nothing in her lungs and it just feels like a bad cold, and she's getting lots of rest and staying hydrated.  

She's fully vaxxed and boosted and in terrific health, but she is 79 and of course I'm still worried.  Ugh.  And apparently, my 80yo dad had the same thing a week ago (how she caught it) and is fine now!  Go figure.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 14

California dropped the indoor mask mandate and the drop in the percentage of positive tests immediately stalled.  

I'm trying to find my way through the new situation we're in and I'm a bit appalled at the level of death from COVID many countries and people find tolerable.  

I need to find some blinders to the risks many people are willing to accept.  

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5

1 hour ago, Coconut Flan said:

California dropped the indoor mask mandate and the drop in the percentage of positive tests immediately stalled.  

I'm trying to find my way through the new situation we're in and I'm a bit appalled at the level of death from COVID many countries and people find tolerable.  

I need to find some blinders to the risks many people are willing to accept.  

A47051E0-0188-4E7F-92B4-9B73BFA8F92F.jpeg.11ac9c76f1ab66bda091392007930891.jpeg

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 2

We dropped mask mandates here a couple of days ago and I’m honestly surprised at how many people in shops etc stopped wearing them straight away. They seem like such an easy, harmless thing to keep up with and although I’m low risk and boostered I see no point in getting covid if I can avoid it. But the attitude has shifted to “everyone who wanted a vax has got one, we’re all going to get it eventually” and people are just like… waiting to test positive? It’s odd.

• Upvote 9

People don't really understand that dropping the mask mandate here didn't mean a free for all.  Masks are still "required" for unvaccinated as I reminded my neighbor who has refused the vaccine.  She was all oh I didn't know that.  

• Upvote 8

So my son has covid :( he tested positive yesterday. So far just fevers and headaches, nothing respiratory, but he saw his grandparents on the weekend and I worry for them. Also the kids were with their dad fri & sat, and he’s gone in to work today anyway (he’s a high school teacher). This is how it spreads.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 16

Today we did something a little different.  We went to a movie theater for the first time since the pandemic began.  This is a little much-loved arthouse sort of theater, that has always taken the pandemic seriously, and that patrons cared enough about to chip in and donate to keep it open even when it had to shut down for periods due to lockdowns.  Even though there are no mask mandates in the area, the theater requires masking and is operating at only 50%.  It felt very safe going into, and the audience did a great job social distancing.

We stayed through the credits (actually, everyone did, probably since it was a tear jerker and we all needed to do a little bit of mopping up, ahem).  Anyway, it was interesting that the credits listed a Covid management team, and included a blurb about the difficulties successfully filming during a pandemic.  I liked the inclusion of this language for historical reference. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 4

We had our first day back on site yesterday. Masks optional, about half the team had them on (i took mine off when it was just me, at my somewhat isolated desk, so I could drink my coffee.)

During one in person 60 minute team meeting (I hate in person, at least in zoom I can answer emails) my manager got a phone call to pick up her son who had a headache and breathing problems.

This morning we got a notification that he had tested positive... and so had she. So we had a (fully masked) team bonding exercise where the other 5 of us present at that meeting headed down to the testing station to get tested and get our 5 day supply of RATs. So far we've all tested negative by PCR, we all need a negative RAT for the next five days to come on site. So far being on site has left me around about 5 hours less worked than this time last week. Yay productivity gains!

• Upvote 13
  • Sad 2
  • Love 4

10 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

This morning we got a notification that he had tested positive... and so had she.

Was she wearing a mask during the 60 minute team meeting?

Hope you continue to stay negative and enjoy working from home.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

4 hours ago, Dandruff said:

Was she wearing a mask during the 60 minute team meeting?

Hope you continue to stay negative and enjoy working from home.

Nope! And I'm back on site today as now required to be if daily RAT was negative.

Personally I'm not currently seeing the alleged benefits outweighing the absolute pain in the arse of being on site.

• Upvote 8

3 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

Nope! And I'm back on site today as now required to be if daily RAT was negative.

Personally I'm not currently seeing the alleged benefits outweighing the absolute pain in the arse of being on site.

I don't understand why they don't let people continue to work from home if they want. My partner has to go back on Friday and he's not happy about it, particularly as like you, there's people testing positive in the offices.  

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4

On 3/2/2022 at 4:17 PM, Katzchen24 said:

I don't understand why they don't let people continue to work from home if they want. My partner has to go back on Friday and he's not happy about it, particularly as like you, there's people testing positive in the offices.  

Me neither, although I am now on the "if my employer would prefer me to spend 6 hours per week commuting rather than answering emails, well ok..." train. A second team member is now positive, we're all still testing daily. Productivity is not increasing here (and I am exhausted, not helping!)

• Upvote 2
  • Love 3

With most of the US now considered low risk vs high risk on the old system, how comfortable are people going shopping without masks?  Going out to eat inside at restaurants?  

Are you thinking about gradually working up to a more conventionally normal life.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/science/community-levels-county-map.html

image.thumb.png.f7149d35faa0f59180bb527d9ed32c51.png

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

44 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

With most of the US now considered low risk vs high risk on the old system, how comfortable are people going shopping without masks?  Going out to eat inside at restaurants?  

Are you thinking about gradually working up to a more conventionally normal life.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/science/community-levels-county-map.html

We're still staying pretty limited, as we have two littles that can't be vaccinated yet. We're fairly relaxed about seeing vaccinated family and friends and with Eldest Child's school going mask-optional we're letting him go without (to school only: small class size, diligent about notifying exposures, low cases in the area, and he's double vaccinated), though he's been cautioned that he may need to put it back on depending on what happens with the virus. That's it, though. About the earliest I see us getting completely back to normal is this summer, assuming six-months-plus kids can be vaccinated by then. I have to schedule New Baby's baptism and I'm not planning to have that until warm weather's fully here and if there's not another surge before then, because being in a church still feels risky right now, especially with the church also going to optional masking.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 4

2 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

I won't shop without a mask, at least for the foreseeable future.  While my area is now considered low-risk, we don't know if or when another strain might erupt.  I'd prefer to watch and wait.  Also, I'm not in a hurry to be exposed to non-COVID illnesses.

I'm currently shopping when I want to and not worrying much about it.  Most people are still wearing masks indoors so I'm not feeling local pressure to stop wearing one.  Socially, I'll meet indoors and unmasked with people I know are vaccinated and very careful.  Outdoors, I'm becoming a little less cautious about being in or near groups of people I don't know, but I remain alert.

I hope, over the long term, that a lot of people will decide to wear masks around others when ill, as the practice has now become routine.

• Upvote 6

9 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

Nope. Especially since with Omicron and the new subtype it‘s not necessarily guaranteed to have low cases im summer like last year. I‘m still very scared of the long term effects of Covid and I think now where everyone is loosening up its more likely to get it. 

I know it will be inevitable to get it at some point but I‘d like to have the longer lasting neurological symptoms better understood and a treatment for it. So the longer I avoid it the better.

We‘re adjusting long term tough in that we will move family celebrations like birthdays etc. to the summer months where we can gather outside. So basically do as much socializing and restaurant visits as possible in the summer months.

• Upvote 9

My son had a fever Sunday, tested positive Monday. My daughter (who climbs into my bed for comfort and got upset every time I left her room) tested positive yesterday (Friday). Yet according to my state’s rules I’m allowed to leave isolation tomorrow?!

CAA93189-D040-459C-BF73-D149834F769E.jpeg

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 2

My job is fully reopening on Monday, with most who have been working from home returning to the office. At least, they've been requiring proof of vaccination and booster if eligible. I'm still planning on wearing a mask inside crowded places even though I've had the vaccine and booster. I almost ended up in FB jail for saying that people in Japan and other Asian countries aren't as selfish as American citizens are as they've worn masks in crowded places for years before Covid hit.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 2

I generally wear a mask inside anywhere except my house. Most people I see are unmasked. I did take off my mask while on the trail today.

There was an obituary for someone who died of COVID. His family asks that you get vaccinated, wear a mask in his honor. I get the sense he was unvaccinated. I appreciate his family's honesty and that they want to keep people from dying like their father/son, etc.

• Love 4

Boyfriend has a cold and sore throat and I‘m feeling meh as well. His RAT was negative today but they aren‘t as sensitive with Omicron as they used to be. Hope it‘s just a cold.

@Smee I hope your kids get better soon and that you don’t test positive.

@ADoyle90815 I don’t get the need to drop masks either. Wearing masks should be normalized!

• Upvote 3
  • Love 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic