IGNORED

Plathville 2: The Whole Family Needs Therapy

nelliebelle1197

Oh boy, Moriah’s ex-boyfriend Max is engaged (to a woman with a young child that doesn’t seem to be his). Hopefully Moriah is totally over him and won’t be triggered by this.

And there’s going to be another season of Plathville beginning soon.

• Thank You 2

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to season 5 of "Welcome to Plathville"! What we know in advance of the season premiere is that Kim has a boyfriend; Barry has gotten into working out and is really buff; Moriah gets baptized; Micah doesn't want to take sides (and is still hot); Olivia and Moriah are still estranged and there continues to be tension between Olivia and the Plath family; Ethan goes to Georgia for ten weeks without Olivia, who demands constant communication; and Olivia gets back in touch with her sister Lydia, awkwardly dubbed "Lydia Grace" to avoid confusion with Lydia Plath (who didn't feature in the trailer, but probably remains quietly perfect). 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 5

@QuiverFullofBooks are you the one who does the episode recaps? I’ll just give some random thoughts about the first episode of the season. First, Kim seemed like she made the classic divorce mistake of leaving the marital home. She couldn’t get Barry to move out and he now somehow looks like Parent of the Year to the kids.  Barry is buff now, but still a creep. It seems like he actually spends more time at the gym than interacting with his kids. Kim’s status just seems to be homeschool teacher. Micah and Moriah have decided that Olivia outright lied about Kim using Ethan’s credit card and taking his money. Micah stated that Kim and Ethan were involved in an MLM together and Ethan was totally aware of the financial situation. Ethan supports Olivia’s version, but somehow that doesn’t matter to Micah and Moriah. According to Barry, Olivia has “brainwashed” Ethan which Kim, Micah and Moriah all agree with. Damn, and Olivia never really had any issues with Barry. She will now. Micah now thinks that he appreciates the way his parents raised him just fine and that it was Olivia’s bad influence that was making him think that his childhood was messed up. Micah and Moriah should be on their knees thanking Olivia for getting them out, but I think now they think they could have done it all on their own. Fat chance. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

This season was the first I've heard about an MLM. With that part in place, he's my thought process:

-Kim got Ethan enrolled as an MLM person.

-Kim ordered things from said MLM with Ethan's credit card.

-Ethan got 'paid' or 'repayed' & thought nothing of it because he was head deep in one of his cars.

-Olivia brought the whole situation to Ethan's attention while informing him of MLM's.

I also find it interesting that Olivia seemed to pull the same shit with Moriah & her music (wanting to learn more before making a final judgement).

I just don't know who/what to believe.

On 9/13/2023 at 11:50 PM, Lady Dondarrion said:

I also find it interesting that Olivia seemed to pull the same shit with Moriah & her music (wanting to learn more before making a final judgement).

I think this situation seems very contrived for reality show purposes. Moriah claims that her mother didn’t steal from Ethan, but in a very similar type of situation, she claims that Olivia stole from her. First, Moriah should have set up her song on her own account from the beginning.  (I actually have no idea how these things work.) The Plath kids seem a little lazy and want other people to take care of their business. Did Moriah think this song was earning money for her, but she never took the time to check on it? If I was Olivia, I would have deleted the song from my own account too.

On 9/6/2023 at 11:31 PM, JDuggs said:

@QuiverFullofBooks are you the one who does the episode recaps? I’ll just give some random thoughts about the first episode of the season. First, Kim seemed like she made the classic divorce mistake of leaving the marital home. She couldn’t get Barry to move out and he now somehow looks like Parent of the Year to the kids.  Barry is buff now, but still a creep. It seems like he actually spends more time at the gym than interacting with his kids. Kim’s status just seems to be homeschool teacher. Micah and Moriah have decided that Olivia outright lied about Kim using Ethan’s credit card and taking his money. Micah stated that Kim and Ethan were involved in an MLM together and Ethan was totally aware of the financial situation. Ethan supports Olivia’s version, but somehow that doesn’t matter to Micah and Moriah. According to Barry, Olivia has “brainwashed” Ethan which Kim, Micah and Moriah all agree with. Damn, and Olivia never really had any issues with Barry. She will now. Micah now thinks that he appreciates the way his parents raised him just fine and that it was Olivia’s bad influence that was making him think that his childhood was messed up. Micah and Moriah should be on their knees thanking Olivia for getting them out, but I think now they think they could have done it all on their own. Fat chance. 

Yes, it’s me. Thanks for your thoughts. I’m going to visit my mom and her cable subscription tonight, so look for recaps later this week.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 3

The only thing that stuck out to me in Episode 3 is that Olivia said that she set up Moriah’s music account using her own account (Olivia’s) to help Moriah out. All of the money went directly into Moriah’s bank account. When Moriah asked for her song(s) back, Olivia gave them to her. Olivia said she has records of everything. This was all definitely “made up” for the show.

And Moriah got baptized by Barry in a pond. Positive attention from her whole family, walking with Jesus, yada, yada, yada.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, JDuggs said:

The only thing that stuck out to me in Episode 3 is that Olivia said that she set up Moriah’s music account using her own account (Olivia’s) to help Moriah out. All of the money went directly into Moriah’s bank account. When Moriah asked for her song(s) back, Olivia gave them to her. Olivia said she has records of everything. This was all definitely “made up” for the show.

And Moriah got baptized by Barry in a pond. Positive attention from her whole family, walking with Jesus, yada, yada, yada.

I think a lot of stuff is made up for the show. It’s how TLC “reality shows” work. The best example is Breaking Amish. That show was 90% bullshit. 

• I Agree 5

5 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think a lot of stuff is made up for the show. It’s how TLC “reality shows” work. The best example is Breaking Amish. That show was 90% bullshit. 

I believe the rift between Olivia and the rest of the adult Plaths (except for Ethan) is real, but the methods of any type of resolution are based on the TV show’s narrative.

1 minute ago, JDuggs said:

I believe the rift between Olivia and the rest of the adult Plaths (except for Ethan) is real, but the methods of any type of resolution are based on the TV show’s narrative.

That’s how so much of these shows work. Take one grain of truth and run with it. The first season may have been the most accurate. But since then, I think it’s just one set up after another. 

• Upvote 1

I felt badly for Kim having to leave the home because Barry refused. So now the little girls have to come to her to do school and that’s just very disruptive. IMO very controlling by Barry. 

I'm catching up on the Plaths, 2 episodes into the new season and haven't been on the snark boards, but follow Olivia on IG. Some thoughts:

- I think they're setting up for Olivia and Ethan's breakup, which is too bad but probably best in the end for everyone as it seems at this point Olivia is estranged from the whole family. You don't marry just a person but their whole family, and I think Olivia can't accept that of the reality show is actual reality.

- Moriah and Micah give Olivia shit for her grudge but then are holding grudges against her, hypocritical. And about talking shit about their parents which they did just 1-2 seasons ago.

- Moriah's born again shit is no surprise, it seems in her newfound freedom and rebeliousness she never found healthy ways to deconstruct, I suspect it was more the aesthetics of wearing whatever and looking how she wants, doing what she wants, and now that she got that but without any fulfilment she's crawling back to the cult, or a version of it. It reminds me of Jinger and her comments about rejecting the idea of freedom  as doing what you want, and then falling back into slightly better but still toxic teachings. Moriah was vulnerable enough.

- I still don't buy Kim and Barry's divorce and think it's for the show, or at least it was and then they liked being apart. I would love to know how JRod feels about it.

1 hour ago, freethemall said:

I'm catching up on the Plaths, 2 episodes into the new season and haven't been on the snark boards, but follow Olivia on IG. Some thoughts:

- I think they're setting up for Olivia and Ethan's breakup, which is too bad but probably best in the end for everyone as it seems at this point Olivia is estranged from the whole family. You don't marry just a person but their whole family, and I think Olivia can't accept that of the reality show is actual reality.

- Moriah and Micah give Olivia shit for her grudge but then are holding grudges against her, hypocritical. And about talking shit about their parents which they did just 1-2 seasons ago.

- Moriah's born again shit is no surprise, it seems in her newfound freedom and rebeliousness she never found healthy ways to deconstruct, I suspect it was more the aesthetics of wearing whatever and looking how she wants, doing what she wants, and now that she got that but without any fulfilment she's crawling back to the cult, or a version of it. It reminds me of Jinger and her comments about rejecting the idea of freedom  as doing what you want, and then falling back into slightly better but still toxic teachings. Moriah was vulnerable enough.

- I still don't buy Kim and Barry's divorce and think it's for the show, or at least it was and then they liked being apart. I would love to know how JRod feels about it.

I’m sure JRod thinks the show corrupted them and it makes her feel better about their family never having a show. She can look down her nose at Kim and Barry and feel superior. Her favorite feeling of all. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2

9 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Olivia did a TikTok explaining the whole MLM credit card scam. Kim is certifiable. Ethan was a kid, and Kim took him to the cleaners. What a mother! 

• Thank You 2

12 hours ago, marmalade said:

Olivia did a TikTok explaining the whole MLM credit card scam. Kim is certifiable. Ethan was a kid, and Kim took him to the cleaners. What a mother! 

That’s the thing about these reality show plots. You always find out later on there is more to the story or it was edited to give a different impression. It’s never accurate. Not even in the slightest. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, MayMay1123 said:

I just want to say... Barry working out, and competing with his sons, is really gross. He looks pathetic. 

I imagine his confidence took a hit when they separated. And now he needs to show off how young and strong he still is. 

• Disgust 1

On 9/23/2023 at 8:30 PM, freethemall said:

OK i watched episode 3 and am updating this a bit.

I do think Moriah looked for some healthy ways to deconstruct, such as through dance and wellness. I'm still concerned many of her coping mechanisms were also related to staying fit and that there is some disordered thinking around thinness and her looks in general. Someone in one of the reddit snark boards talked about how rebelliousness/freedom was always a "costume" for her, that she was never willing to go too far outside the cult's comfort zone and is now crawling back to it. I can tell with her breakup with Max and then falling out with Olivia this left her really broken, which is the kind of vulnerability cults love to bring people into their fold, like they did with Kim so many years ago.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, April83 said:

It is just me who finds Barry rather creepy. 

I 100% agree with you, but the “You can be my Daddy” comments on Barry with muscles photos on IG makes me think there’s a substantial percentage of the population that have a different opinion on the subject.

• Disgust 5
  • WTF 3

That little snippet on her Insta was awful. When will someone tell her she's not talented? 

And now Lydia is attempting the same? Good luck with that. 

20 minutes ago, marmalade said:

That little snippet on her Insta was awful. When will someone tell her she's not talented? 

And now Lydia is attempting the same? Good luck with that. 

All moriah can do is be on a crappy TLC reality show. Though she wants to do more. But she can’t. Moriah has tried to be an actor, a model, and now a singer.

• Upvote 1

This isn't her first foray into music. She recorded some songs and claimed that Olivia "stole" them. Of course, this was proven to be false. 

• Upvote 1