IGNORED

2022 Midterm Elections

47of74

Now there's some more fuckery going on down in Iowa

U.S. Senate candidate Abby Finkenauer will not appear on Iowa’s June 7 Democratic primary ballot after a ruling from a judge late Sunday night, according to the Des Moines Register.

Two Republicans challenged Finkenauer’s nomination papers, claiming she didn’t get enough signatures to qualify for the primary ballot. The State Objections Panel rejected their challenge.

Last night’s ruling reversed that rejection, moving Finkenauer off the primary ballot. That decision is likely to be appealed to the Iowa Supreme Court.

In a statement, Finkenauer called the ruling “outrageous” and “meritless.”

• WTF 3

Alabama's Kay Ivey is pushing the Big Lie in her reelection ad:

You'd think she wouldn't want to wear blue in her commercial.

• Thank You 2

Honey, do you know how many people live in California. :doh:

• Thank You 6

Lauren Boebert Gets Serious GOP Primary Challenger, Slams Her ‘Embarrassing Juvenile Antics’

Controversial Colorado Congresswoman Lauren Boebert (R-CO) received some bad news for her reelection bid as veteran Republican state lawmaker Don Coram successfully petitioned his way onto the primary ballot this June.

Colorado state election officials announced Tuesday that Coram made the ballot after reviewing the 2,000 signatures he submitted last month to try and knock Boebert out of Congress. Coram’s campaign released a statement saying he would work to deliver results for Colorado’s 3rd District and slammed Boebert’s “embarrassing juvenile antics on the national stage.”

Coram is a long-time member of the Colorado state legislature, most recently serving in the Colorado Senate representing District 6. Coram and Boebert immediately exchanged barbs upon the announcement he would be Boebert’s sole primary challenger on June 28th.

“Don Coram is a corrupt liberal who buddies up to Democrats every chance he gets,” her campaign charged, according to the Denver Gazzette. “Corrupt Coram will be soundly defeated in the Republican primary because Congresswoman Lauren Boebert is the only conservative in this race.”

Coram hit back saying, “I look forward to setting the record straight on the lies Lauren Boebert and her supporters have peddled. I will make the case to primary voters as to why I am the most qualified candidate to represent them and their families.”

“Enough is enough! Let’s make Lauren’s first term in Congress her last,” Coram added.

Boebert, who was first elected to Congress in 2020 after a surprise primary win over 5-term Rep. Scott Tipton (R-CO), has grabbed many headlines during her short time in Congress for her outlandish behavior. Boebert is a close ally of former President Donald Trump and a fierce critic of the left.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 6

Ex-Omaha mayor demands to know what GOP lawmaker was wearing when pro-Trump candidate assaulted her

On Thursday, explosive allegations rocked the Nebraska governor's race as eight women, including a Republican state senator, came forward to accuse Charles Herbster, a Republican megadonor and businessman endorsed by former President Donald Trump, of sexual assault.

Herbster, who also used to work as a beauty pageant judge, is accused of groping and forcibly kissing multiple women, and the state senator, Julie Slama, alleges he reached his hand up her skirt and touched her at a Douglas County GOP dinner event in 2019.

But some of Herbster's supporters are standing firm. According to Jon Kipper of KMTV 3 News Now, former Omaha Mayor Hal Daub, also an endorser of Herbster, questioned the timing of the story, and said he would like to question Slama on a witness stand, adding, "I'd like to ask her what she was wearing."

Slama, however, was quick to oblige — and posted a photo of the dress she was wearing on the night the alleged assault took place.

Aaron Sanderford from the Nebraska Examiner, which first broke the story, also came forward to explain the timing of the report, explaining that the assaults had been an "open rumor" for years and that it took months of interviewing reluctant, traumatized accusers — many of whom were themselves conservative Republicans who had supported Herbster's campaign — to corroborate and detail the story.

It's 2022, and "What was she was wearing?" is still a thing. :angry-cussingblack:

• Disgust 4
  • WTF 4

Scott Pruitt is looking for a new job.

Trump administration Environmental Protection Agency chief Scott Pruitt is running for U.S. Senate in Oklahoma.

A former state attorney general, Pruitt filed on Friday to fill the seat left open by Republican Sen. Jim Inhofe, who has announced plans to retire at the end of the year. Pruitt served in the state Senate from 1998 to 2006 and held office for two terms as attorney general after being elected in 2010.

Pruitt is one of many former Trump officials eyeing Congress as their path to return to public life. Among those running are former President Donald Trump’s first Interior secretary, Ryan Zinke, who is seeking a House seat in Montana, and State Department spokesperson Morgan Ortagus, who is vying for a seat in Tennessee.

Pruitt’s move to make it official on Friday came after it was reported last month that he was weighing a run, according to CBS News, making calls to gauge support in a crowded Republican primary. Already, Rep. Markwayne Mullin, former Oklahoma Speaker of the House T.W Shannon, Inhofe’s former chief of staff Luke Holland and state Sen. Nathan Dahm are set to battle it out for the Senate seat. Former Rep. Kendra Horn is the first Democrat to enter the race.

Pruitt left his post as state attorney general to lead Trump’s aggressive anti-regulation agenda at the EPA. His tenure was laden with ethics scandals and investigations, in which he ultimately resigned amid allegations he was trying to personally benefit from his office. Most of the department’s inspector general investigations were inconclusive, as Pruitt resigned in 2018 before the investigations were complete.

In his resignation letter to Trump, he praised the president but said the “unrelenting attacks on me personally, my family, are unprecedented and have taken a sizable toll on all of us.” Trump at the time had kind words for his departing EPA chief.

“Look, Scott is a terrific guy,” the president said. “And he came to me and he said, ‘I have such great confidence in the administration. I don’t want to be a distraction.’ And I think Scott felt that he was a distraction.”

• Upvote 3
  • Eyeroll 2

Tommy Thompson decided not to run for WI governor again

Former Wisconsin Gov. Tommy Thompson, a Republican elected to four terms starting in the 1980s, announced Monday that he will not run again in a bid to take on the Democratic incumbent in the battleground state.

A campaign by the 80-year-old Thompson would have put him on the ballot for the first time in a decade and 24 years after his last win. The winner of the Aug. 9 primary will advance to face Gov. Tony Evers.

Thompson contemplated seeking yet another comeback in his unparalleled career in Wisconsin politics that spans more than half a century, even meeting last month with former President Donald Trump at Trump's Mar-a-Lago resort to discuss it. But ultimately, Thompson decided against it.

Thompson’s entry would have shaken up an already crowded Republican field that includes former Lt. Gov. Rebecca Kleefisch, businessman and former Marine Kevin Nicholson and state Rep. Timothy Ramthun. Last week, Madison businessman Eric Hovde decided against a run.

I'm going to go from now to doomsday thinking of this story every time I hear of Tommy Thompson and would have had the jokes all lined up too had he run again

It’s once again time for Typo Theater, in which loyal readers send in examples of typographical and grammatical mistakes, as well as other humorous linguistic boo-boos.

A missing space can be as embarrassing as an extra one. Luci Weigel saved a copy of the Green Bay Press-Gazette from when Tommy Thompson was Wisconsin’s governor. Wrote Luci: “Thompson used his veto power aggressively, prompting the Gazette to try to run a front page, above-the-fold story bearing the headline ‘Thompson’s pen is a sword.’ Unfortunately, they left out one little space.”

I’m sure you can guess which one.

• Haha 3
  • Thank You 3

13 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

Thompson’s pen is a sword.’ Unfortunately, they left out one little space.”

I’m sure you can guess which one.

Years ago, we had a client named Peni.  Her business name was something like Peni’s Boutique.  I was always sweating over that apostrophe. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3

On 4/18/2022 at 11:39 AM, CTRLZero said:

Years ago, we had a client named Peni.  Her business name was something like Peni’s Boutique.  I was always sweating over that apostrophe. 

This reminds me of a woman I met on the job years ago.  I asked for her work email address and she had to explain her company's "unfortunate" office protocol for email addys: first initial-last name @ company domain name.

Her last name was Eckert and her first name started with a P.  I would have thought their IT dept could make a protocol exception and let her include a middle initial or something, but I guess not.

• Sad 3

3 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

It seems like Trump tried to put his people in last time he was president and it did not go well. How many of his cabinet members or other people in high level positions resigned or were fired? If that's the caliber of people that he's putting in important positions what kind of red-hatted MAGA idiots would be in the mid level jobs?

• Upvote 8

GOPer Sends Fake Appointment Confirmations For ‘Your Child’s Gender Reassignment Surgery’ In Fundraising Texts

Michigan state senator and U.S. House candidate Tom Barrett (R) is taking the GOP’s war on transgender youth to an even greater extreme.

The Michigan Advance obtained fundraising texts sent by Barrett’s campaign informing the recipient that “your” child had been booked to get gender reassignment surgery.

“CONFIRMED: [Name of recipient], your child’s gender reassignment surgery has been booked,” a screenshot of one of the texts says. “If you have any issues with this operation, please view the objectives of Biden’s National Transgender Strategy here: [fundraiser link]”

The link leads to a fundraiser page that opens with “STOP BIDEN FROM DOING THIS TO OUR KIDS!” and goes on to claim that President Joe Biden is “forcing 5-year-olds to learn about gender reassignment surgeries, gender identities, and other radical ideas.”

That is, of course, absolutely not happening, and Barrett offers no evidence that it is. If you squint hard enough, it appears he is referencing at least the baseless theory behind Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis’ (R) “Don’t Say Gay” law, which bans discussions of sexual orientation or gender identity in classrooms third grade and under.

Another similar message Barrett’s campaign obtained by the Michigan Advance opens with “APPOINTMENT STATUS: CONFIRMED” in red letters, with details of the fake appointment underneath listing “your child” as the patient receiving “Gender Reassignment Surgery” and the date as “Tomorrow at 9 AM.”

Then, of course, comes the fundraising pitch:

“If you would like to CANCEL this appointment because you do not believe in teaching young children about dangerous transgender ideologies, please sign your name NOW,” the message says.

Barrett is running in the Republican primary to challenge incumbent U.S. Rep. Elissa Slotkin (D-MI), who blasted the messages on Thursday.

“Using scare tactics about our children’s well-being to raise money for a political campaign should be off-limits,” she told the Michigan Advance. “This is what people hate about politics: the politicians that only want to use fear to further divide us in a time where we should be coming together.”

Barrett is one of many Republicans who’ve been manufacturing outrage over gender affirmative care for trans youth and trans female athletes’ participation in student sports ahead of the 2022 midterms.

Now conservatives have begun expanding their targeting of trans people to include the rest of the LGBTQ+ community, with Republicans accusing opponents of anti-LGBTQ+ legislation (like DeSantis’ law) of being “groomers.”

• WTF 5

On 4/20/2022 at 11:34 AM, church_of_dog said:

This reminds me of a woman I met on the job years ago.  I asked for her work email address and she had to explain her company's "unfortunate" office protocol for email addys: first initial-last name @ company domain name.

Her last name was Eckert and her first name started with a P.  I would have thought their IT dept could make a protocol exception and let her include a middle initial or something, but I guess not.

One company I worked for let people chose their own logon/email address so I used the first initial-last name at domain name.  Later on after I saw someone else just used his initials I found myself wishing I would have done that instead.  But I think mine was already spoken for. 

Meanwhile, a Nebraska's GQP gubernatorial candidate is suing a woman who accused him of sexual assault.  I think you all can guess who endorsed this dipshit. 

A Republican Nebraska gubernatorial candidate accused of inappropriate physical contact by eight women is suing a state senator who is one of the accusers.

Charles Herbster filed the suit Friday against GOP state Sen. Julie Slama.

Slama's attorney Dave Lopez told CNN on Friday evening that the senator had not yet been served with the lawsuit, but he added in a statement, "To be sure, any claim that calls into question Senator Slama's well-corroborated account of her sexual assault by Charles Herbster would be categorically without merit and frivolous. Senator Slama will vigorously defend herself against any such lawsuit. Charles Herbster will be subject to the full scope of civil discovery if he proceeds with any legal attack against Senator Slama."

Herbster's run for governor is endorsed by former President Donald Trump, who is scheduled to attend a rally with Herbster in Nebraska on April 29.

And Sen. Slama is not the only one who is accusing this idiot of inappropriate behavior.  No wonder fuck face likes this guy.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

Holy Guacamole, y'all!  Utah's Democrats just decided to endorse conservative Independent Evan McMullin (rather than the Democratic candidate) in hopes that McMullin will have a better chance of unseating US Senator Mike Lee, who seems to have been in the thick of Jan 6. 

I understand, though.  A Democrat has a snowball's chance in hell of getting elected to Mike Lee's seat. 

• Upvote 8

Fuck face is upset that Club For Growth is attacking JD Vance.

The Club for Growth aired new ads in Ohio on Thursday featuring quotes from Vance criticizing Trump. Vance strongly opposed Trump during the 2016 campaign, blaming"racism" and "xenophobia" for his rise. Vance called Trump "reprehensible" and in a private text message reportedly worried that Trump would become "America's Hitler."

Trump, who seems to have forgiven Vance after repeated trips by Thiel and the candidate to his Mar-a-Lago resort and Vance's rebranding as a far-right culture warrior, lashed out at Club for Growth over the ad buy, directing his assistant to send a note to David McIntosh, the group's president.

"Hi Mr. McIntosh. The President shares this message with you: Go f**k yourself," the message said, according to Haberman.

Didn’t work out as planned for Fuck Face. The club went and bought more ads for Vance’s primary opponent. 

• Thank You 4

Michigan GOP moves forward with 2020 election-denying secretary of state and AG

Michigan Republicans picked two candidates — who deny the 2020 election results and have been endorsed by former President Trump — to serve as the state's next top elections officer and top law enforcement official.

Kristina Karamo, a community college professor who rose to prominence after claiming she saw election fraud in Detroit in the last presidential race, won the three-person race for secretary of state with about 67% of the vote at Saturday's GOP endorsement convention in Grand Rapids. On the November ballot, her opponent will be incumbent Democrat Jocelyn Benson.

Matt DePerno, an attorney who has pushed Trump's false claims of election fraud, won the party's endorsement for attorney general. In a runoff race, DePerno took 54% of the vote to defeat former state House speaker Tom Leonard, who was seen as the more establishment Republican candidate. DePerno is now running against incumbent Democrat Dana Nessel.

[...]

Looking ahead to the general election, some Michigan political insiders question whether Karamo will be able to widen her support outside of Trump's base, considering the range of controversial views she has already voiced.

She appeared at a QAnon-adjacent rally last year, and she has said she believes the conspiracy theory that left-wing activists were behind the riot at the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6.

"Every ad from April 24 through November is going to say 'QAnon Karamo is too crazy for us,' " said state Rep. Beau LaFave, a Republican who ran for secretary of state against Karamo, before Saturday's vote.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 3

A member of the wackadoodle caboodle for Speaker of the House? NO THANK YOU! ( As the class of kindergarteners I'm subbing in vehemently say when they don't like something.)

Rep. Matt Gaetz appears to support Rep. Jim Jordan for Republican House leader after McCarthy audio leak

https://www.yahoo.com/news/rep-matt-gaetz-appears-support-142418794.html

Spoiler

Rep. Matt Gaetz on Saturday appeared to throw his support behind Rep. Jim Jordan, a staunch supporter of former President Donald Trump, to replace House Minority Leaders Kevin McCarthy as the Republican leader.

Jordan "is the hardest working and most talented member of the Republican House Conference. And every member knows it," Gaetz said in reply to a tweet urging Jordan and Gaetz to take over McCarthy's role.

• Upvote 4
  • Eyeroll 1

She's the type that gives guns as presents at baby showers.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

NO THANK YOU! ( As the class of kindergarteners I'm subbing in vehemently say when they don't like something.)

This is adorable.  What kind of things prompt this response?

• Upvote 1